• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

AZ Greg

no greg i just tank my pp regularly by playing characters i'm bad with :(

Like Juri?

BLYxr.gif

Cyrillus

Hey guys and gals. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured someone here might know what I'm talking about. I'm looking for a video of a tournament fight where the announcer says something along the lines of, "you can't tiger knee your way to victory," and then the Sagat Player proceeds to do exactly that. Anyone know the video I'm thinking of?

Fraeon

Hey guys and gals. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured someone here might know what I'm talking about. I'm looking for a video of a tournament fight where the announcer says something along the lines of, "you can't tiger knee your way to victory," and then the Sagat Player proceeds to do exactly that. Anyone know the video I'm thinking of?

I assume you mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0F_aVAnFU

Roche

I need to learn how to do some combos with Ibuki, seems as though I can only do a little damage at a time compared to high level people who take half my life bar in one combo.

So Gaf what do I do when I get stuck in a combo, particularly when cornered?

Venfayth

I need to learn how to do some combos with Ibuki, seems as though I can only do a little damage at a time compared to high level people who take half my life bar in one combo.

Are you asking how to get out of the corner? Or just how to deal with Ibuki's pressure in general?

Roche

Are you asking how to get out of the corner? Or just how to deal with Ibuki's pressure in general?

Well I play as Ibuki, yeah I was just wondering how to get out of a corner. Blocking doesn't seem to work and attempting attacks always tends to make my situation worse.

I guess I just have to find away to get around my opponent but that's not easy.

Venfayth

Well I play as Ibuki, yeah I was just wondering how to get out of a corner. Blocking doesn't seem to work and attempting attacks always tends to make my situation work.

I guess I just have to find away to get around my opponent but that's not easy.

That's always going to come down to the situation you're in, the matchup you're against, the player you're playing against. I know that's not a super helpful answer up front, but for the most part it's true.

The corner is a shitty place to be, so half the fight is not getting there in the first place. Once you are there, you've actually got a lot of options as Ibuki.

1. Don't get knocked down again. Easier said than done, but be patient and wait for your opportunity.
2. Land a knockdown, then use her command dash to corpse hop or just super jump away.
3. Land a cr.mp or a st.mk and cancel it into EX Hien (backwards shoryuken+kicks) as EX Hien is relatively safe and gets you to the other side of the opponent.

edit: You can also cancel a blocked normal into her HK command dash, but that's punishable, and loses to spam crouch tech. Can also super jump out, but good opponents will punish that.

Roche

That's always going to come down to the situation you're in, the matchup you're against, the player you're playing against. I know that's not a super helpful answer up front, but for the most part it's true.

The corner is a shitty place to be, so half the fight is not getting there in the first place. Once you are there, you've actually got a lot of options as Ibuki.

1. Don't get knocked down again. Easier said than done, but be patient and wait for your opportunity.
2. Land a knockdown, then use her command dash to corpse hop or just super jump away.
3. Land a cr.mp or a st.mk and cancel it into EX Hien (backwards shoryuken+kicks) as EX Hien is relatively safe and gets you to the other side of the opponent.

edit: You can also cancel a blocked normal into her HK command dash, but that's punishable, and loses to spam crouch tech. Can also super jump out, but good opponents will punish that.

I see, I suppose it's the situation awareness that comes from experience. I find a lot of the time when I'm in a corner I panic and do stupid stuff to attempt to escape somehow.

Thanks for the advice I'll try to put it to some good use.

jlai

when in doubt, mash dat ex DP. often times they'll try to focus attack crumple the followup kunai. obviously, that's when you don't throw the kunai, land and U2 the FA. THE MINDGAMES

just kidding, don't do this

Venfayth

An objective and clear-cut (although monotonous and probably boring) way to learn what your problems are is to watch replays and count where your damage taken is coming from.

Are you losing to throws? Go into training mode, set up the dummy to do what your opponent did, and practice TECHING THROWS.

Are you losing to frame traps? Go into training mode, set up the dummy to do that frame trap, and figure out what options you have (hint: there are more answers than reversals, backdashing, and crouch techs)

Are you losing to pokes (bison hk, adon hk, sakura cr.mk xx dp, etc)? Go into training mode, set up the dummy to do that normal at a predictable time, and figure out which of your normals beat it. There are no invincible normals. If you know when your opponent is going to press a button, assuming you have the knowledge of how to deal with that button, you can counter it.

edit: The last thing I'd say, is make sure that you aren't always doing the same thing in similar situations without thinking about it. Having an automatic response to DP after you get reset in the air is bad. If you get reset in the air and you think he's going to throw you, then DP, but don't do it just because you always do it and it usually works.

Roche

An objective and clear-cut (although monotonous and probably boring) way to learn what your problems are is to watch replays and count where your damage taken is coming from.

Are you losing to throws? Go into training mode, set up the dummy to do what your opponent did, and practice TECHING THROWS.

Are you losing to frame traps? Go into training mode, set up the dummy to do that frame trap, and figure out what options you have (hint: there are more answers than reversals, backdashing, and crouch techs)

Are you losing to pokes (bison hk, adon hk, sakura cr.mk xx dp, etc)? Go into training mode, set up the dummy to do that normal at a predictable time, and figure out which of your normals beat it. There are no invincible normals. If you know when your opponent is going to press a button, assuming you have the knowledge of how to deal with that button, you can counter it.

edit: The last thing I'd say, is make sure that you aren't always doing the same thing in similar situations without thinking about it. Having an automatic response to DP after you get reset in the air is bad. If you get reset in the air and you think he's going to throw you, then DP, but don't do it just because you always do it and it usually works.

Yeah this is good advice, I need to spend more time watching videos and in the training room. I feel like going in cold and fighting against people is good, though it's a bit painful having to loose to people 20 times in a row to learn stuff.

But then again there doesn't seem to be an easy way to learn to play this game, lots of trial and error and whatnot.

Venfayth

There really isn't. That's why so many people who play online are so predictable. They don't put in work, they just want to learn one offense and rinse and repeat that offense over and over again. They'll beat people who don't know the counter, they'll lose to people who do.

If you want to be good you've got to have the time and effort to learn the whole game. And that is actually a pretty big commitment, especially for a video game, so I can't really blame people who don't want to put forward that much effort.

Since we are talking about FT5. I recently played FT5 vs a Sim named Bagelobo on PC that was streamed by xupyourgamex yesterday.

http://www.twitch.tv/xupyourgamex/b/379144836?t=113m35s

KappaDBJ

I use to play that guy a lot back in Vanilla, we went toe to toe at the time. He was even on my friends list, but I removed him because I never saw him on and thought he stopped playing the game. AE comes out and he's back and much much better than me now. He bodied me pretty badly the few times we've run into each other in ranked. Just kind of sad to know someone who was probably my equal at the time made breakthroughs that I could not.

Threi

notag
I use to play that guy a lot back in Vanilla, we went toe to toe at the time. He was even on my friends list, but I removed him because I never saw him on and thought he stopped playing the game. AE comes out and he's back and much much better than me now. He bodied me pretty badly the few times we've run into each other in ranked. Just kind of sad to know someone who was probably my equal at the time made breakthroughs that I could not.
That's the story of pretty much everyone i used to play with in vanilla lol.

Everyone skyrocketed in skill and i got left behind haha

St.mp st.mk qck lk st.lp st.mk hcf p for a damaging combo, you should look up izunas ibuki player guide on the ibuki srk forums. But yea for getting out of corner pressure, i'd just be patient and block until they make a mistake. I hate the bison matchup just cause of this reason.

Finally I've joined the 3,000 PP/10,000 BP club. Got to 10,000 a while back but kept hanging around the 2,000's and then lost a lot of points playing my Yun. But now I'm where I belong and boy do I feel the eliteness around me. Maybe now I should retire ranked and dedicate myself to uploading high level Japanese match videos to Youtube.

Finally I've joined the 3,000 PP/10,000 BP club. Got to 10,000 a while back but kept hanging around the 2,000's and then lost a lot of points playing my Yun. But now I'm where I belong and boy do I feel the eliteness around me. Maybe now I should retire ranked and dedicate myself to uploading high level Japanese match videos to Youtube.

First of all, worried about points: bwahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Second, YouTube: bwahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apparently I forgot how to play against Rog.

Was winning against a pretty decent dude at a bar, but then he switched to Rog and beat me up for 4 games before I was able to pull evenish again.

The whole time I was thinking to myself: So what was I doing the last time I played BV....?

Apparently I forgot how to play against Rog.

Was winning against a pretty decent dude at a bar, but then he switched to Rog and beat me up for 4 games before I was able to pull evenish again.

The whole time I was thinking to myself: So what was I doing the last time I played BV....?

Running away like a bitch, I think.

Shit was so long ago, can't remember

Sim hit and run tactics are murder for any Rog player.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Running away like a bitch, I think.

Shit was so long ago, can't remember

Sim hit and run tactics are murder for any Rog player.

For the life of me, I couldn't land any reaction throws against EX rush punch, or reaction shangrilas at first. I kept spitting fire when I was too close, too.

I did do heavy slide on wakeup to stuff the headbutt, that was pretty funny. But then he did EX headbutt the next time after that :(

cackhyena

I have never and probably will never again put more time into a game than I have this one. And now an update. Looks like I'll be playing a fair bit into next gen as well.

Top Bottom