• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

AutumnAve

It was such an off night for me.
Yeah, honestly,I feel that way too. I got beat by some things that shouldn't had even touched me, reversal uppercuts, etc. Rocwell's Makoto was on another level, though, that was too stronk.

If that's the case, next time we play I'll try to leave you feedback.
I would appreciate it, legitimately. It's hard to see what I'm doing dumb, when I'm in the moment.

You use c.mp too much and you don't have much of a mixup game. You used air ex tatsu a couple of times to set up. You don't follow through with mindgames after stepkicks. So it's pretty much flowchart.

AutumnAve

You use c.mp too much and you don't have much of a mixup game. You used air ex tatsu a couple of times to set up. You don't follow through with mindgames after stepkicks. So it's pretty much flowchart.

The use of crouching strong I'd attribute to years of Ryu play. It's habitual, but you're right, there's no benefit for Ken, noted.

Can you elaborate a bit more on "mix-up"? what are some examples, to you, of a solid mix-up?

I dont play ken, but my local scene is full of them. After stepkick, kara dp or kara throw or mash c.short into another combo. More mindgames and safejumps. Also air ex tatsu crossups.

Onemic

Wait, where did you see this? Mine does not do that at all. It's either LED on or off, but I never delved deeper to see if there was another option.

All reviews talk about that feature, but I have no idea how to turn it on. I think it should work if you can enable rumble in game, but I don't see any option for it in the PC version. I'll have to check the PS3 version to see if it works.

Also, is DP'ing out of frame traps supposed to be difficult? I can never seem to do it and yet all the scrub Ken's, Zangiefs, Thawks, and Ryu's I play seem to have their reversals perfect to the point that any frame trap I do always gets beat by their dp.

Venfayth

Should be pretty damn easy. If it's a regular dp motion just mash downforward and down while mashing punch or kick. If you try to mash the whole motion, sometimes fireball will come out instead.

OceanBlue

All reviews talk about that feature, but I have no idea how to turn it on. I think it should work if you can enable rumble in game, but I don't see any option for it in the PC version. I'll have to check the PS3 version to see if it works.

Also, is DP'ing out of frame traps supposed to be difficult? I can never seem to do it and yet all the scrub Ken's, Zangiefs, Thawks, and Ryu's I play seem to have their reversals perfect to the point that any frame trap I do always gets beat by their dp.

You can stop blocking during true blockstrings and you'll still be blocking. Chances are that they're mashing right when you start your blockstring.

Onemic

You can stop blocking during true blockstrings and you'll still be blocking. Chances are that they're mashing right when you start your blockstring.

They mash out dp's during the blockstring more often than before it starts. The thing is that they're perfect with their mashing too. And the players I'm talking about are generally below 1000pp. The higher level players generally don't.

Edit: and looks like the Fighting Edge's LED flashing when you take damage feature does indeed work on the PS3 version of SFIV. You just have to turn on vibration in the button config then either set you stick to tournament mode or normal mode with LED lights on. It's pretty cool.

Venfayth

They mash out dp's during the blockstring more often than before it starts. The thing is that they're perfect with their mashing too. And the players I'm talking about are generally below 1000pp. The higher level players generally don't.

Then just block and punish :p

Onemic

Then just block and punish :p

Ya, but it just makes me wonder, how difficult is it to do a reversal during a frametrap? Because I can't do it at all and yet I see people laming out srk's and jump back fireballs and their reversals out of frame traps are on point. Unless you can turn on turbo mode or something.

Venfayth

Ya, but it just makes me wonder, how difficult is it to do a reversal during a frametrap? Because I can't do it at all and yet I see people laming out srk's and jump back fireballs and their reversals out of frame traps are on point. Unless you can turn on turbo mode or something.

Reversal window is 5 frames, so if you input a reversal up to 5 frames before you have the ability to act, a reversal will come out. You literally can just mash them and they'll come out.

notworksafe

94twtno.jpg

Onemic

Reversal window is 5 frames, so if you input a reversal up to 5 frames before you have the ability to act, a reversal will come out. You literally can just mash them and they'll come out.

Whenever I do I just get hit by the frame trap. Which is the primary reason I pretty much never dp, even with shotos.

OceanBlue

Whenever I do I just get hit by the frame trap. Which is the primary reason I pretty much never dp, even with shotos.

Maybe you have the same problem I do where you're inputting it too slow and getting hit when you press forward? I think you mentioned that before. I have that problem all the time against jump-ins.

Will be going to my first Rese this Saturday, which is a regional in North Carolina. If anyone of you guys are in the area and plan on going, I hope to see you there.

That means you Rice Eater

Sorry to disappoint you but I won't be able to make it. I was planning on hanging out with friends and going to watch Iron Man 3 that day. I really wanted to go but then I realized it was on the same weekend as Iron Man 3. They did a similar thing last year when they had a tournament the same weekend as TDKR. I should definitely be their the month after if you come though. I think Alstein and Hitokage might be there so you may run into some fellow GAF'ers. June RESE better not be on the same weekend as Man of Steel or I'm not coming again lol.

Sorry to disappoint you but I won't be able to make it. I was planning on hanging out with friends and going to watch Iron Man 3 that day. I really wanted to go but then I realized it was on the same weekend as Iron Man 3. They did a similar thing last year when they had a tournament the same weekend as TDKR. I should definitely be their the month after if you come though. I think Alstein and Hitokage might be there so you may run into some fellow GAF'ers. June RESE better not be on the same weekend as Man of Steel or I'm not coming again lol.

Lol it's okay. I'm not sure if I'm going to the June Rese but I'll post here again if I do. And yeah they better not plan it on MoS weekend lol. Hope to see you and some other GAFers there some other time.

Kioshen

Played some ranked on PC yesterday and got bopped hard ;_;. Sagat's normal seem so easy to stuff when playing against randoms. Match up knowledge is also a real pain to learn. Feel so stupid when trying stuff out to see if it's punishable and with what.

Edit: Thinking about it a little more I should have my tablet propped up on the side with frame data and reflect on the match that way instead of going right back into a lobby with a little more salt on my shoulder.

Grifter

cr.jab st.jab ULTRA 2!!

Edit: Holy crap, linking this is a lot of fun (and easier than Ryu's solar plexus cr.fierce link D:). Maybe I should spend all of my local sessions one day doing this.

<3 that combo! Is that consistent? Thought the jab had to hit in later frames to link.

Well both Akuma and Ryu beat Rufus. Akuma's U2 is just for punishing blocked EX messiah but it doesn't shut down anything if that's what you're asking. As for Ken, it's either that or you have to be able to confirm off a EX tatsu which normally only hits once on grounded opponents.

So Akuma beats Rufus now. I can't even see how a tatsu would set up U2.

OceanBlue

<3 that combo! Is that consistent? Thought the jab had to hit in later frames to link.

Apparently his st.jab is +7 and his U2 has 7f startup, so it should be consistent. I wasn't doing it meaty and it worked fine. You kinda have to be close to them though.

Venfayth

So Akuma beats Rufus now. I can't even see how a tatsu would set up U2.

When airborne EX tatsu hits on the way down, they remain grounded and it has a massive amount of frame advantage, which lets you confirm into u2 if you have fast reactions. Or you can just pray that it hits and do it anyway :p

Grifter

When airborne EX tatsu hits on the way down, they remain grounded and it has a massive amount of frame advantage, which lets you confirm into u2 if you have fast reactions. Or you can just pray that it hits and do it anyway :p

Oh, right! He didn't say air version so I was picturing every grounded scenario like FADC off a hit on a croucher. Sounds like a gamble against a quick blocker unless the advantage/hit stop is huge.

LakeEarth

That's how most people online do it. One of the better "hail mary"s of the game.

Due to arcade stick difficulties, I'm switching to PS3 pad. Therefore, I've decided to try out Rose to simplify my re-training. Any advanced players out there with advice, like frame traps, what meaties I should go for, anti-airs (since d.hp is great but has a lame range), etc? What players to look out for, other than Arturo?

Played some ranked on PC yesterday and got bopped hard ;_;. Sagat's normal seem so easy to stuff when playing against randoms. Match up knowledge is also a real pain to learn. Feel so stupid when trying stuff out to see if it's punishable and with what.

Edit: Thinking about it a little more I should have my tablet propped up on the side with frame data and reflect on the match that way instead of going right back into a lobby with a little more salt on my shoulder.

Record yourself playing or find archives.

Venfayth

Nah, I actually dislike Gamerbee and am an Ibuki player (sub!) :p

But there's so much awful art of Ibuki out there ...............................

Top Bottom