• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Roche

So I've been playing this for a while now and I've kind of been going between 500-700pp every session. I find it really hard to keep up consistency for long periods of time, I'll have short bursts where I'll play really well and win a bunch then I'll just start losing horribly and get all frustrated.

So far though I really like the way Ibuki plays, though I find once I'm stuck in a combo I have a hard time turning things around. Anyways my next little goal is to get to 1000pp without smashing my controller or giving myself a rage induced seizure. Wish me luck.

So I've been playing this for a while now and I've kind of been going between 500-700pp every session. I find it really hard to keep up consistency for long periods of time, I'll have short bursts where I'll play really well and win a bunch then I'll just start losing horribly and get all frustrated.

So far though I really like the way Ibuki plays, though I find once I'm stuck in a combo I have a hard time turning things around. Anyways my next little goal is to get to 1000pp without smashing my controller or giving myself a rage induced seizure. Wish me luck.

Ibuki is a fun character. Really dependent on reads and reactions of opponents. Oh and unblockalols. But getting in on a opponent with Ibuki on a legit read is probably my favorite thing about her.

So I went 1-2 in AE at the tournament I went to yesterday. I beat a yolo Cammy player, and lost to a Rufus player and then a Dee Jay player, who was pretty solid. My match against the Rufus player was on stream, and I might paste a link here if I can find it. Still weak against Rufus because of divekick and my habit of teching throws, which causes me to get hit by his st. short which leads to big damage. I was able to get in a few casuals with an Akuma and a Dan, who was actually better than I thought he would be.

Good shit solidgear. I also went 1-2 the last time I went to ReSe. Hopefully the June tourney isn't on the same weekend as MoS and I'll be there and hopefully you can attend again. I haven't played live matches in a while and sorely miss it :(

Figure this is just a good a place as any for this question:

Is TV input lag ever an issue with fighting games?

I ask because on the 3DS version of SSFIV I have completed a bunch characters' trials without a huge problem. I have tried many, many more times on 360 though and usually can't progress beyond the more complex combos. I haven't completed a single character's trials. I get tripped up when there is fairly strict combo timing required, with 4-6 separate moves (somewhere between 12-15 usually).

I don't think the issue is that I just suck with a stick (which is what I use on the 360). I bang out any motion consistently without problems with the stick, and less consistently on the 3DS. I watch my inputs and I'm doing the right motions and hitting the right buttons. Its just my timing on the 360 with the stick is off.

Is it just me? Or could there be a latency issue? I assume the 3DS has very little input lag compared to a 360 connected via HDMI to an LCD HTDV. Is the 3DS somehow calibrated for more forgiving combo timing?

I'm using a Capcom SE stick, modded with Sanwa parts, connected to 360 USB. TV is a Samsung 42" LCD HDTV, circa ~2007.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
My GFWL thing is UJ Tortle. I don't know what you do with that info but if you want to play a scrubby ERyu/Adon, I'm your dude. Currently low C I think....

Just give me a heads up whenever you feel like playing and I'm around.

Kadey1up is my tag.

And if you guys want to see that tournament Sako just won, PM me.

Beckx

Figure this is just a good a place as any for this question:

Is TV input lag ever an issue with fighting games?

I ask because on the 3DS version of SSFIV I have completed a bunch characters' trials without a huge problem. I have tried many, many more times on 360 though and usually can't progress beyond the more complex combos. I haven't completed a single character's trials. I get tripped up when there is fairly strict combo timing required, with 4-6 separate moves (somewhere between 12-15 usually).

I don't think the issue is that I just suck with a stick (which is what I use on the 360). I bang out any motion consistently without problems with the stick, and less consistently on the 3DS. I watch my inputs and I'm doing the right motions and hitting the right buttons. Its just my timing on the 360 with the stick is off.

Is it just me? Or could there be a latency issue? I assume the 3DS has very little input lag compared to a 360 connected via HDMI to an LCD HTDV. Is the 3DS somehow calibrated for more forgiving combo timing?

I'm using a Capcom SE stick, modded with Sanwa parts, connected to 360 USB. TV is a Samsung 42" LCD HDTV, circa ~2007.

Yes, very much so. 16ms of input delay = 1 frame. So if you're over 30-40ms delay you're going to start seeing real issues. (run a search your specific model for delay. Modern samsungs vary wildly on input lag, some are terrible, some are fabulous; check to see if you have game mode.)

Yes, very much so. 16ms of input delay = 1 frame. So if you're over 30-40ms delay you're going to start seeing real issues.

Well shit. Am I boned then? I will never complete those trials?

Or is it consistent lag, so that you can learn to adjust? I'm not sure how though. I jump into those every few months or so for a few hours and don't get any better. Then I pick up my 3DS and just knock them out. Its incredibly frustrating.

Edit: I am getting a new (bigger) TV in the next few months, and I'm prioritizing input lag, so maybe that will help.

Venfayth

Or is it consistent lag, so that you can learn to adjust? I'm not sure how though. I jump into those every few months or so for a few hours and don't get any better. Then I pick up my 3DS and just knock them out. Its incredibly frustrating.

You can adjust. Lots of people do. It's just that if you want to play on other TVs than your own, that's when it becomes an issue. Some guys who go to the tourneys I help run swore up and down that our stream station was laggy. We found out that at home they play on a 60" HD TV that has like 60-70ms of lag on it, but they were so used to it that any time they played elsewhere, it felt like lag.

Beckx

Edit: I am getting a new (bigger) TV in the next few months, and I'm prioritizing input lag, so maybe that will help.

What Venfayth said. If you can find out what lag your panel has, that will help you understand what you're seeing.

Definitely prioritize input delay. It's the single most important thing for anyone with gaming as a hobby. I found out the hard way 2 years after buying a beautiful Samsung 55 inch flagship model and couldn't even play Reach on it (game mode ameliorated most of it, but not all), let alone something with tight timing. AVS Forums has several good threads that keep running data, and there's a site out there where a guy takes equipment into stores and measures the lag on various sets. I'll find the link.

Site is www.displaylag.com & also check this thread for useful info.

fader

how do you guys input your DP?

I discovered a new method (well new for me) where you just put the stick on forward then slide it down to down forward then slide it back to forward....

I did not know that worked... I always had it on forward then put it on down then down forward and I was always messing up lol.

Thanks guys. My TV is like 6 years old at least so a little harder to find good info on. Although after doing some searching those older Samsung LCD 720p sets are supposed to be pretty decent with input lag, especially with the "game" setting (which I use).

Since I am getting a larger TV for my new place soon though I will check that guy's site out for a good option with less lag.

In the meantime, I might chalk it up to a combination of arcade stick buttons that don't feel super responsive (they feel kind of loose without a solid snap back), lack of practice with the stick (even though stick motions are fine), and a bit of input lag. Maybe I'll just practice more. In the past couple years I've done more combo practice on the 3DS than the 360 (my wife hates the sound of arcade stick buttons), so I might just be used to slightly different timing.

I definitely don't "feel" the lag. I feel like when I hit LP or whatever it flies right out.

But when configure Rock Band for input lag it definitely calibrates as if there is some lag.

Crazy what a couple dozen milliseconds can do.

I discovered a new method (well new for me) where you just put the stick on forward then slide it down to down forward then slide it back to forward....

I did not know that worked... I always had it on forward then put it on down then down forward and I was always messing up lol.

I think I'm doing F->D->DF but I think it comes out more like your new method. Whatever it is, it works.

I think you can also double-tap down-forward.

SFIV is pretty loose with stick inputs. Occasionally (but rarely) I'll try to do a super/ultra 2X QCF and a DP comes out.

fader

I think I'm doing F->D->DF but I think it comes out more like your new method. Whatever it is, it works.

I think you can also double-tap down-forward...

yeah, thats how i use to do it. but doing it the new way, i found it alot easier to do cause your just doing a line and rubbing it against the wall of the sticks gate.

Yeeeeees, just bought SSF4 AE for PC for $9.99 at GameFly

*goes to plug in 360 MadCatz gamepad, doesn't work*

*plugs it into 360 to make sure annnnnnnd...it's busted*

of course

When I get some money this summer though, I want to join my SF GAF brethren online

It clicked for me when someone said forward then fireball and hit the button early.

Kioshen

That shortcut has been a bane since the dawn of SF4. You'll be glad to know that in SF4 you don't have to do a complete 360 motion for a command grab. You just need to do a half-circle plus one diagonal in either direction.

If you plan to not play any other fighting games than use that shortcut to your hearts content. If you do plan to play any other fighting game series it would be better to learn the proper DP input because that shortcut won't work anywhere else.

fader

That shortcut has been a bane since the dawn of SF4. You'll be glad to know that in SF4 you don't have to do a complete 360 motion for a command grab. You just need to do a half-circle plus one diagonal in either direction.

If you plan to not play any other fighting games than use that shortcut to your hearts content. If you do plan to play any other fighting game series it would be better to learn the proper DP input because that shortcut won't work anywhere else.

I can do it the right way, I've been doing it F -> D -> DF for years now, I just supprised and thought it was easier to do it F -> DF -> F

LakeEarth

Forever blown up by crouch tech :[

What characters you play? Sometimes you can option select by crouch tech + another button. With Abel, doing crouch tech + fierce will smack them for trying to divekick again. It can still get blown up though, just not with divekick.

You can even shortcut 720s, which lead to walk-up tick ultras. Start with up (tick here to prevent jump), 270 counterclockwise to forward, and then swing back clockwise to up+PPP. It works, and you get like a split second to walk forward.

Venfayth

I use downback + lk + lp + mp when crouch teching vs rufus to beat throw attempts and divekicks. It'll lose to frame traps, but rufus players don't know what those are.

Venfayth

I wonder what the design goal was that resulted in tight links and "flexible" joystick motions.

KOF XIII is the opposite. Motions have to be extremely precise, and are much more complicated, but button press timings are almost irrelevant because of button holding, and there are barely any links at all.

The only shortcut I use with reckless abandon is the 360 shortcut, which has been mentioned already. I've been doing DPs the real way for over a decade now, and that ain't gonna change.
You can even shortcut 720s, which lead to walk-up tick ultras. Start with up (tick here to prevent jump), 270 counterclockwise to forward, and then swing back clockwise to up+PPP. It works, and you get like a split second to walk forward.
I'm gonna try and practice this sometime.

udivision

I use downback + lk + lp + mp when crouch teching vs rufus to beat throw attempts and divekicks. It'll lose to frame traps, but rufus players don't know what those are.

Does this mean you'll tech grabs if he tries to grab you, and that you'll throw out a mp else wise?

Btw, anyone else play with a keyboard?

Venfayth

Does this mean you'll tech grabs if he tries to grab you, and that you'll throw out a mp else wise?

Yup. I'll block if he does a true block string, tech a throw if he tries to throw, and cr.mp if he tries to instant divekick (which then gets stuffed).

If he does a frame trap (<6 frames in between me coming out of block stun and his next normal becoming active), the cr.mp will start up and I will get counterhit, though. So smart Rufus' will realize what I'm doing and start doing actual frame traps.

how the world do you manage to do that...?

i got cramps when i tried to do it.

Dem small Asian hands

pD4GU.png

Top Bottom