• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

So I had a match end in a draw game. Thought it was hilarious until the points screen came up and I lost 18pp. Not a big deal, but my opponent RECEIVED 18pp! WTFC?! Did Capcom really punish me and reward the other dude on a TIE GAME?! Salt through the roof!
It happen to me before. Except my opponent earned alot more. It sucks

Beckx

I am stuck in some sort of vicious feedback loop.

Play character.

Go to SRK and look at combo/guide threads.

See all the link-heavy combos referred to as "essential" for character.

Go try them repeatedly.

Fail miserably, repeatedly.

Self-loathing.

Repeat.

I think I'm going to just stop the SRK visits and play for a while.

Beckx

Which character? Plinking makes everything easier for combos. No idea about charge/grappler characters though.

Since bailing on Fei, I've been bouncing around, trying to find something that fits. Oni (yes, I know :p), Ibuki, Dudley (leaning toward Dudley as he shares some similarities with Akihiko in P4A, but I'll be damned if I can even cancel s.HK into EX Machine Gun or Duck Punch). Still want to make one of those characters work, but I think I'm done trying to work on the longer link stuff for a while.

Taking Beef's advice and working on a grappler (Hakan) to see if that works for me. (And FML if the SRK Hakan threads aren't full of comments that you need to use several linked hit-confirms to be effective.)

Since bailing on Fei, I've been bouncing around, trying to find something that fits. Oni (yes, I know :p), Ibuki, Dudley (leaning toward Dudley as he shares some similarities with Akihiko in P4A, but I'll be damned if I can even cancel s.HK into EX Machine Gun). Still want to make one of those characters work, but I think I'm done trying to work on the longer link stuff for a while.

Taking Beef's advice and working on a grappler (Hakan) to see if that works for me. (And FML if the SRK Hakan threads aren't full of comments that you need to use several linked hit-confirms to be effective.)

Ibuki is mad easy for combos. You can be top tier with just basic bnbs s.jab s.strong s.fierce into whatever. Oni is kind of wonky with the timing of his target combo but after that it's just fadc practice. Dudley is all about that plinking and canceling. Hakan iirc has alot of jabs/shorts that link into slides. /Talking out out my ass about Hakan.

Beckx

Ibuki is mad easy for combos. You can be top tier with just basic bnbs s.jab s.strong s.fierce into whatever. Oni is kind of wonky with the timing of his target combo but after that it's just fadc practice. Dudley is all about that plinking and canceling. Hakan iirc has alot of jabs/shorts that link into slides. /Talking out out my ass about Hakan.

Heh. Just spent the last hour in training, just doing TC4 xx Neckbreaker/Raida until my hands hurt. At first I couldn't get the Neckbreakers to come out, but by the end I could do it reliably. Need to keep working it. Thanks!

The only thing that irks me is s.forward sjc u2 or s.rh sjc command dash to c.fierce. I used to be able to do them easily but now I can't do them at all. Mental guardbreak or whatever. But you might as well learn tsumuji loops too. Try tc.4 qcb lk then s.lp s.mk to whatever.

xCobalt

Heh. Just spent the last hour in training, just doing TC4 xx Neckbreaker/Raida until my hands hurt. At first I couldn't get the Neckbreakers to come out, but by the end I could do it reliably. Need to keep working it. Thanks!

You should try doing the same thing when it comes to links. If you practice enough, you'll be fine. Gotta develop that muscle memory!

I had the same problem for awhile and I couldn't do any links. Part of the problem was that I purposely chose characters that didn't have/need links and hindered myself. Overall, I was unable to maximize my damage or properly punish unsafe moves. I ended up going into training mode and grinded out combos. I set a goal of hitting 30 combos (which had links) consecutively. If I dropped one combo, I start over.

Threi

notag
I am stuck in some sort of vicious feedback loop.

Play character.

Go to SRK and look at combo/guide threads.

See all the link-heavy combos referred to as "essential" for character.

Go try them repeatedly.

Fail miserably, repeatedly.

Self-loathing.

Repeat.

I think I'm going to just stop the SRK visits and play for a while.

You are going about it the wrong way.

Combos are the last thing you should learn and about your character.

Venfayth

Yup. You should learn the game first, and combos later. Learning combos first means that when you get a hit, you'll do the optimum amount of damage, but if you don't learn how to play the game you're never going to get a hit in the first place.

And when you do get a hit, you won't know why, and you won't be ready to convert it into damage.

xCobalt

When it comes to learning a new character, I don't think theres either a wrong or right way of going about it. To me, just doing basic combos right off the bat gives you a good feel of the character. You definitely gotta be thorough if you decide to drop/keep the character though. When I try out a new character, I start off with basic combos, learn what normals/specials are good and not so good then find the right spacing for these moves. If I like the character up until this point, I start looking at frame data and move onto frame traps.

Venfayth

tumblr_mmjy25NhCB1qdlh1io1_250.gif

Beckx

Yup. You should learn the game first, and combos later. Learning combos first means that when you get a hit, you'll do the optimum amount of damage, but if you don't learn how to play the game you're never going to get a hit in the first place.

And when you do get a hit, you won't know why, and you won't be ready to convert it into damage.

To clarify a bit - I've played SF for years but never tried to be anything more than casual. A large percentage of my play is still embarrassingly based around a scrub game of naked specials and j.HK > c.HK, and I never really want to play online because of it.

So I feel like I am at the point where I need to focus on real combos and execution. It's just frustrating.

The only thing that irks me is s.forward sjc u2 or s.rh sjc command dash to c.fierce. I used to be able to do them easily but now I can't do them at all. Mental guardbreak or whatever. But you might as well learn tsumuji loops too. Try tc.4 qcb lk then s.lp s.mk to whatever.

Tsumuji > s.lp is a link, right? How tight?

Kioshen

To clarify a bit - I've played SF for years but never tried to be anything more than casual. A large percentage of my play is still embarrassingly based around a scrub game of naked specials and j.HK > c.HK, and I never really want to play online because of it.

So I feel like I am at the point where I need to focus on real combos and execution. It's just frustrating.

Why not start with 2 in ones then ? Focus on landing a cancelable normal that is good in a footsie battle like c.MK for Ryu and cancel into a fireball or tatsu for corner carry. For Ryu, cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.HP xx Fireball is a good blockstring that is a frame trap too. You can also try doing J.HK, cr.MK xx (fireball or tatsu) instead of going for the ultimate cobra kai combo and sweeping the leg.

Beckx

Why not start with 2 in ones then ? Focus on landing a cancelable normal that is good in a footsie battle like c.MK for Ryu and cancel into a fireball or tatsu for corner carry. For Ryu, cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.HP xx Fireball is a good blockstring that is a frame trap too. You can also try doing J.HK, cr.MK xx (fireball or tatsu) instead of going for the ultimate cobra kai combo and sweeping the leg.

I don't want to play Ryu. :) My problem is the characters I'm drawn to are probably not the best for me. It's taken me a very long time to abandon Fei.

But yeah, that's why I'm learning Hakan at the same time. j.HK, c.MK xx Slide xx smash, then on to oil + SPD hijinks.

You can also try doing J.HK, cr.MK xx (fireball or tatsu) instead of going for the ultimate cobra kai combo and sweeping the leg.

Hey, that's me! I'll be damned if I ever get consistent with that combo into sweep on a gamepad.

*do a couple lights* "am I hitting? Yes: SHORYUKEN No: cancel into something safe like cr.mk xx fireball

Hey, that's me! I'll be damned if I ever get consistent with that combo into sweep on a gamepad.

*do a couple lights* "am I hitting? Yes: SHORYUKEN No: cancel into something safe like cr.mk xx fireball

Besides the f+HP > cr. HP link, all of Ryu's links are pretty easy. Yes, even his 1 frame links like jab sweep are considered to be pretty easy. Just think of it like you're playing a music game, it's all rhythm. My execution blows, and I can hit that link very consistently. Funny thing is that Daigo has been dropping that link a lot lately. He dropped it quite a bit in the Topanga Asia League.

Roche

Been learning some Ibuki combos, also been losing a whole lot trying to pull off the ol' Vortex.

I feel like once I can reliably master this hurdle I'll be a whole lot better than I am now. But then again I've thought that for a while now haha.

Kioshen

Venfayth

Wow that is priceless. Why in the world did he stay at that range when you woke up haha.

Haha! It's a 2 frame grab so unless he was doing something he could have jumped out of it, but I'm guessing he didn't know that and tried to do something else, or just blocked.

Besides the f+HP > cr. HP link, all of Ryu's links are pretty easy. Yes, even his 1 frame links like jab sweep are considered to be pretty easy. Just think of it like you're playing a music game, it's all rhythm. My execution blows, and I can hit that link very consistently. Funny thing is that Daigo has been dropping that link a lot lately. He dropped it quite a bit in the Topanga Asia League.
Its like a music game, but I don't know the melody. 20% success ratio doesn't inspire much confidence lol

Onemic

Its like a music game, but I don't know the melody. 20% success ratio doesn't inspire much confidence lol

My life. Especially when a dropped combo leads to a guaranteed full punish of whatever you want.

I'm at the point where I can do combos and stuff, but I still lose anyway, no matter who the player. Lost every game to my brother a few days ago that plays Blanka, literally only knows how to do electricity, command dash, and AA roller ball(Although he cant AA with it), and has maybe played SFIV a total of 4 hours in his life.

Blanka does that. Catches onto your tendencies and punishes you for it. ... Blanka. And I think if you keep on command dashing through, it fucks with Guile's charge.

LakeEarth

That's why everyone hates Blanka, he can be a bitch with 1 dimensional play. If you keep getting popped by electricity, you gotta go into training and find that correct spacing. You can just spam standing jab to stop blanka balls dead, but from fullscreen you can react with something invincible, depending on your character.

Top Bottom