• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

jlai

Keep hiding on PSN, I'll be back someday to blow up dat Hawk vortex(letting your opponent get in and making them guess between mashed dp or spd). Well maybe you don't do that. But a lot of hawk players do and somehow it always works against me :(

the ProfBeef special!

Rocwell

So I ran into this guy on ranked in pc, he beat me in a Ryu mirror match and he starts popping off.

iAeU2yQW9YHS.jpg

My reply: "you scared dog?"

Then he does the old "THAT'S IT I CHALLENGE YOU TO A MATCH 2 OUT OF 3 WHAT'S THAT SCARED HAHA I KNEW IT COWARD" routine. So I just start up a private lobby and invite him. Then he drops this gem at the character select screen:

So I beat him the first game 2 rounds to zero (one of which ended with him doing a desperation wakeup ultra) and he immediately rage quits without playing out the rest of the set.

so good.gif

alstein

So I ran into this guy on ranked in pc, he beat me in a Ryu mirror match and he starts popping off.

Then he does the old "THAT'S IT I CHALLENGE YOU TO A MATCH 2 OUT OF 3 WHAT'S THAT SCARED HAHA I KNEW IT COWARD" routine. So I just start up a private lobby and invite him. Then he drops this gem at the character select screen:

So I beat him the first game 2 rounds to zero (one of which ended with him doing a desperation wakeup ultra) and he immediately rage quits without playing out the rest of the set.

so good.gif

He pops off constantly, he's terrible to boot.

alstein

The only messages I get are "I didn't get to play at all" and "FT5". I feel lucky.

Last night I got a "I'm sorry you didn't get to play seriously), after beating some guy's main who was just turtling by hitting him with a couple of stand fierces and not charging at him for an entire round twice. Why help him run bullshit vortex garbage- the only way to win that game is not to play.

After 2-3 matches of almost falling asleep, I said screw it and went back to VF.

so good.gif

He's an ass clown. He's always popping off mine and Yoga's uploads...challenging everyone to a FTwhatever

Last night I got a "I'm sorry you didn't get to play seriously), after beating some guy's main who was just turtling by hitting him with a couple of stand fierces and not charging at him for an entire round twice. Why help him run bullshit vortex garbage- the only way to win that game is not to play.

After 2-3 matches of almost falling asleep, I said screw it and went back to VF.

This game should be Ryu vs Ryu mirrors

AutumnAve

I should get back into VF5

AutumnAve

so good.gif

ggs on our set rocwell, I like that this guy censored himself, he gots to popoff, but, let's keep it clean, lol.

GG Rocwell and Jlai, it was good to get back in the game. And my ability to pull off the axe kick combo was kind of rough as I thought it would be. Even though I tell myself I need to focus and listen to the audio cue, I lose focus when actually playing and just try to feel it out like I always do. I did awful at first but finally started landing it at a decent rate. It didn't make me feel any better though that whenever Jlai played ERyu he never missed that combo(yes I was paying attention to that, he didn't miss once in probably like 10 tries)

Link to Axe kick combo? Is it the C.fierce after c.jab loop?

I'm talking about linking cr. MP after MK axe kick with Evil Ryu which is a 1 frame link. Nothing special about it, it's basically one of his BNB combos. It's just that it's one of those awkward links in this game since you have to wait a while for the move to finish before attempting the link which is like Fei Long's trying to link after HK chicken wing or Ryu players trying to link after a solar plexus(F+HP). Even their 2 frame links from 3 frame normals from all of these guys are still considered a pain in the ass to most average players because of that. You can't just feel it out and hit buttons one after another in a certain rhythm.

jlai

GGs Roc and Rice. Always nice to play more of OG PS3-SFGAF (sidenote: everyone get AE pc, I promise it's awesome!). Pretty good Mak! I would have liked to see you use c.mk more as an AA and throw out more c.mp or c.lk poke buffer hayates but other than that very solid. Post hayate dash karakusa/fukiage OS more!

PS Rice-Eater why'd you have to do me dirty and leave after the P against my Deejay :(

I'm talking about linking cr. MP after MK axe kick with Evil Ryu which is a 1 frame link. Nothing special about it, it's basically one of his BNB combos. It's just that it's one of those awkward links in this game since you have to wait a while for the move to finish before attempting the link which is like Fei Long's trying to link after HK chicken wing or Ryu players trying to link after a solar plexus(F+HP). Even their 2 frame links from 3 frame normals from all of these guys are still considered a pain in the ass to most average players because of that. You can't just feel it out and hit buttons one after another in a certain rhythm.

Are you plinking c.mp/c.lp? That helps a lot in that combo for me in the case I mistime it since c.lp will come out instead and still combo. For Fei's chicken wing links I double plink hp mp and lp

PS Rice-Eater why'd you have to do me dirty and leave after the P against my Deejay :(

After the beatdown I received tonight, I think I deserve a little something to help me sleep :B

Are you plinking c.mp/c.lp? That helps a lot in that combo for me in the case I mistime it since c.lp will come out instead and still combo. For Fei's chicken wing links I double plink hp mp and lp

Yeah I plink, I even plink when I don't need to. But my execution has always been sub par at best though. I still struggle to dash after SRK > FADC after all these years of playing this game. Which is why I didn't attempt to juggle into axe kick once when I finished combos with SRK. I will keep working on it though, at least I have the confidence to actually go for the axe kick combo now. Normally I will only try that link against bad players because I know I can still win despite missing that link.

jlai

After the beatdown I received tonight, I think I deserve a little something to help me sleep :B

Yeah I plink, I even plink when I don't need to. But my execution has always been sub par at best though. I still struggle to dash after SRK > FADC after all these years of playing this game. Which is why I didn't attempt to juggle into axe kick once when I finished combos with SRK. I will keep working on it though, at least I have the confidence to actually go for the axe kick combo now. Normally I will only try that link against bad players because I know I can still win despite missing that link.

One thing I noticed was you didn't combo into ultra at all. There seemed to be many opportunities after potential DP FADC or at least ex tatsu in the corner. What's up with that?

One thing I noticed was you didn't combo into ultra at all. There seemed to be many opportunities after potential DP FADC or at least ex tatsu in the corner. What's up with that?

It's a combination of different things, all having to do with my bad execution. I already told you about my weakness to dash when doing SRK, FADC. I also fail to land SRK after LK tatsu because I focus too much on the next move and fail to nail the one I need to do at the moment.

As for EX tatsu in the corner. I'll admit that I focused too much on trying to land the axe kick combo ending in HP SRK. I did that in part to help me build confidence in myself that I could land it consistently during matches that I forgot about my other options. But I also miss the Ultra after EX tatsu a lot to. So sometimes I intentionally don't go for Ultra and instead just finish with a DP instead.

I know I need to maximize on my opportunities better but I'm just not that good of a player. I make too many mistakes and poor decisions. When I tried to play footsies with you guys I was getting destroyed. I even practiced low forward, fireball, FADC, etc. against you and failed to land it every time because I reacted just a little too late every time to the hit confirm and gave up on it lol.

Veal

Anybody got any good tips for establishing good pressure with Gouken? It seems whenever I get close my opponents, without fail, start mashing or throwing like mad. Pretty annoying. Plus it seems hopeless against someone who actually blocks. Can't seem to find my niche with him, yet he's definitely my favorite of the cast. Kinda depressing.

Calibrated

Neo Member
Rice-Eater try plinking cr.mp>cr.lp>cr.lk then you get an extra chance to at least hit something. Been a long time since I played Evil Ryu but as far as I remember it works... I hope!

Venfayth

Anybody got any good tips for establishing good pressure with Gouken? It seems whenever I get close my opponents, without fail, start mashing or throwing like mad. Pretty annoying. Plus it seems hopeless against someone who actually blocks. Can't seem to find my niche with him, yet he's definitely my favorite of the cast. Kinda depressing.

My trick to mashy goukens: do a true block string that puts you at his sweep range, and then just start focusing. They'll probably sweep and you get a free level 2 focus.

Otherwise, just good frame traps. Throw him once or twice on his wakeup, he'll be far less likely to reversal parry.

Onemic

My trick to mashy goukens: do a true block string that puts you at his sweep range, and then just start focusing. They'll probably sweep and you get a free level 2 focus.

Otherwise, just good frame traps. Throw him once or twice on his wakeup, he'll be far less likely to reversal parry.

I think he's talking about how to improve his gouken, not how to beat Gouken.

stealing those tips for mashy goukens :p

Venfayth

I think he's talking about how to improve his gouken, not how to beat Gouken.

stealing those tips for mashy goukens :p

Oh, you're right :D

I'm sure you know about CL.MP being your best friend as far as pressure goes. It is +4 on block and +7 on hit. CL.MP > CR.HP is a frame trap on block, and a 2 frame link on hit. Just make sure that if they block the CR.HP you fireball or something so that you're not unsafe (it's -8 on block lol)

But Gouken doesn't have much other pressure when he's up close, as almost all of his normals are 0 or unsafe, and he lacks a good 3 frame normal (close mk is 3, but it's hard to use properly).

Also, abuse his overhead. It's relatively fast and annoying.

That's about all I know for up close Gouken pressure. His up close game isn't really that extensive, but he has good zoning tools as well. Watch lots of youtube videos of high level Goukens and try to emulate what they do once they get in. You don't want to brainlessly copy them, but you do want to try to understand why their tactics and strategies work.

LakeEarth

I don't even know Gouken 2012 iteration very well so I'll try to be general. Zoning and spacing is his game, so work on that first. Know what anti-airs work where. Up close Gouken seems weak, but you should know what to do when opportunity arises. Abuse frame traps for sure, because it is easier to get his throw -> ultra if your opponent is afraid to press buttons. Demon flip pressure on opponent wakeup seems decent as well. His overhead is pretty quick.

Rocwell

GGs Roc and Rice. Always nice to play more of OG PS3-SFGAF (sidenote: everyone get AE pc, I promise it's awesome!). Pretty good Mak! I would have liked to see you use c.mk more as an AA and throw out more c.mp or c.lk poke buffer hayates but other than that very solid. Post hayate dash karakusa/fukiage OS more!
tumblr_m8d1x0PRW51qd8pxx.gif

Thanks~

haha dashing after hayate is scary, people just want to press buttons all the time. I feel like even after training people with cr.lk xx hayate, ex oroshi and tsurugi after a hayate they still would rather press buttons than block, backdash, or jump.

Personally, I feel like the weak points in my game are on defense, reading the opponent and not really having a game plan to deal with characters who give me fits like boxer, dictator, chun and gen. I was also not looking forward to that makoto mirror lol I knew that was going to be a mauling one way or the other. Basically whoever gets the first knockdown wins the round because makoto doesn't really have much in the way of answers to her own shenanigans.

AutumnAve

I never want to play the ps3 edition ever again, after spending quality time (40 hours round about) on the pc version I feel like the 600 or so I spent on the PS3 version was, well, not time wasted but...yeah. Is the pc version of cross tekken better too?

Imm0rt4l

After watching some topanga matches I was inspired to play some ryu last night. I was doing surprisingly well, just sorta xcopying top ryu players and who doesn't know ryu's combos? Came across a viper player who was pretty strong, I was beating him pretty consistently. Switched over to my Gouken and it was so much more difficult to get a win. I don't know why I wasted so much time playing Gouken for so long. I consistently won with my dudley as well.

edit: also I made a 4kpp 15kbp Zangief rage last night with ryu. Bodied him something FIERCE. T'was delicious.

Ironic that playing one of the more boring character in ssf4 is sort of reviving some interest in the game for me.

jlai

Thanks~

haha dashing after hayate is scary, people just want to press buttons all the time. I feel like even after training people with cr.lk xx hayate, ex oroshi and tsurugi after a hayate they still would rather press buttons than block, backdash, or jump.

Personally, I feel like the weak points in my game are on defense, reading the opponent and not really having a game plan to deal with characters who give me fits like boxer, dictator, chun and gen. I was also not looking forward to that makoto mirror lol I knew that was going to be a mauling one way or the other. Basically whoever gets the first knockdown wins the round because makoto doesn't really have much in the way of answers to her own shenanigans.

It's pretty crazy how much potential huge damage Makoto can do after a hayate if she chooses the correct rock/paper/scissors to the opponents reaction. Karakusa/fukiage OS covers doing nothing, backdash, neutral jump, back jump. Axe kick beats throw. C.LK beats any normal button. S.MP beats slower buttons. Blocking beats reversal. Backdash baits reversal so they can't even FADC. I guess the best option for an opponent is a delayed button?

It's pretty funny when playing offline and you can already see the person next to you mashing backdash while hayate is still in the animation. My defense is definitely my weak point as well and it doesn't help that Mak's defense is pretty suspect. I have the same problems against those pressure/counter hit/tick throw strong chars like rog, bison, sak etc. I'm like 0-5 against Hugo101 in tournament play :(

xCobalt

For the most part, you want to play keep away as a gouken player unless your opponent has terrible wakeup or they can get in too easily and you're forced to play up close (dive kick characters mostly).

Gouken doesn't really have good pressure as he doesn't have that many mixups. You definitely want to go for the knockdown. You really need to utilize his sweep as its probably one of the best in the game. Just gotta be aware if your opponent is prone to focus or if they're Chun/Ryu with super. You can also do backthrow into j.mp then sweep. If you do score the knockdown, you could go for meaty cr.lk into palm, st.mp into a throw/frame trap, demon flip setup or just a tick throw. Also learn to mixup demon flip dive kick and your command dive kick as most characters can't anti air both with the same normal. If they guess wrong on which dive kick you're doing, you'll be able to stuff them and continue the combo.

If you get your opponent into the corner, you have a couple of more options. If you stay about a 1.5 characters lengths away, you can often pressure them with fireballs only. Most characters are often forced to block and if they try to jump away, gouken's fireball will often hit them as they're jumping. If they manage to jump forward, you can do roundhouse and it'll anti air them (it's a 3f startup iirc). Once you establish some fireball pressure, you can either dash in and throw them or if they're crouch teching a lot, just take a step forward and do roundhouse.

Check out this japanese gouken player. He develops a lot of tech.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gaku08shimouta/videos

Top Bottom