• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

OK so I was playing AE at the local arcade here and had the most amazing thing happen I just have to post about it somewhere.

I was playing Akuma (mained him since Vanilla) against a pretty decent Fei Long. The match itself wasn't spectacular or anything, but it came down to the final round with me about to die to any sort of chip damage, and him having a little more than that.

I was on the ground after being thrown, and of course the first thing on my mind is to run and get away, establish a bit of distance between us, and figure something out. So I teleport away safely, jump back and start backing up to try and get some distance.

Then, just as I'm thinking wtf should I do, he does an ex-chicken wing, and somehow, some way, not by reaction, not by anticipation or anything, I didn't even have a plan yet and wasn't ready for him, I just instinctively did an HP shoryuken > FADC > ex red fireball > ex tatsu and won.

It was unbelievable. Unbelievably awesome. I mean, I must have subconsciously been thinking it or something to do what I did, but I'm just amazed that I wasn't even expecting it at all and still caught it. I've been thinking about it and replaying it in my head all day and I doubt I'll forget it anytime soon haha.

xCobalt

Wow that's pretty valuable...not a lot of characters have indepth guides for tech like that.

Yeah, it's really good stuff. Some of the setups are rather situational or hard to pull off because you have to manually time it rather than timing it with button presses. Regardless, a lot of useful information for gouken players.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
OK so I was playing AE at the local arcade here and had the most amazing thing happen I just have to post about it somewhere.

I was playing Akuma (mained him since Vanilla) against a pretty decent Fei Long. The match itself wasn't spectacular or anything, but it came down to the final round with me about to die to any sort of chip damage, and him having a little more than that.

I was on the ground after being thrown, and of course the first thing on my mind is to run and get away, establish a bit of distance between us, and figure something out. So I teleport away safely, jump back and start backing up to try and get some distance.

Then, just as I'm thinking wtf should I do, he does an ex-chicken wing, and somehow, some way, not by reaction, not by anticipation or anything, I didn't even have a plan yet and wasn't ready for him, I just instinctively did an HP shoryuken > FADC > ex red fireball > ex tatsu and won.

It was unbelievable. Unbelievably awesome. I mean, I must have subconsciously been thinking it or something to do what I did, but I'm just amazed that I wasn't even expecting it at all and still caught it. I've been thinking about it and replaying it in my head all day and I doubt I'll forget it anytime soon haha.

That Fei was an idiot for throwing out EX CW fullscreen. Shotos can do cr.mk on reaction to make the CW whiff and get a free punish.

Anyways having good instincts mean you were anticipating the chicken wing to happen so you could react, don't doubt yourself!

After watching some topanga matches I was inspired to play some ryu last night. I was doing surprisingly well, just sorta xcopying top ryu players and who doesn't know ryu's combos? Came across a viper player who was pretty strong, I was beating him pretty consistently. Switched over to my Gouken and it was so much more difficult to get a win. I don't know why I wasted so much time playing Gouken for so long. I consistently won with my dudley as well.

edit: also I made a 4kpp 15kbp Zangief rage last night with ryu. Bodied him something FIERCE. T'was delicious.

Ironic that playing one of the more boring character in ssf4 is sort of reviving some interest in the game for me.

Hear hear. I started playing ryu just to learn spacing.

Lol it's okay. I'm not sure if I'm going to the June Rese but I'll post here again if I do. And yeah they better not plan it on MoS weekend lol. Hope to see you and some other GAFers there some other time.

I just checked for the next ReSe tournament and it's on the same weekend as Man of Steel. But of course they would do it. That means I'm not going again because I already had plans way ahead of time to watch the movie and hang out with friends that day. Maybe Brian does it intentionally to draw more attention to the tournament? I don't know but it's not going to work out for someone like me who has to drive an hour to the tournament.

I've been searching on the Internet but I couldn't really find an answer...

Which characters would you guys say are the least link heavy ones? I understand links are just something you can't avoid but mannnn, they drive me nuts. I've tried to learn plinking and it's still pretty bad...

Venfayth

I've been searching on the Internet but I couldn't really find an answer...

Which characters would you guys say are the least link heavy ones? I understand links are just something you can't avoid but mannnn, they drive me nuts. I've tried to learn plinking and it's still pretty bad...

Are you asking as a beginner? Because learning how to link normals is important for almost every character. But, like many concepts, learning links for one character can bleed through to other characters with similar combos. Once you're good at links, plinking one characters combos, etc, eventually it will become natural to you. You won't even need to think about it.

edit: I feel bad, as I didn't really answer your question directly. Characters that don't rely on many (or any) links:

Abel
Blanka
Dan
Dhalsim
El Fuerte
E. Honda
Guile
Juri (kinda)
T. Hawk
Zangief

Keep in mind that all of these characters don't need links to just win online, but if you want to be optimal, their performance increases a ton learning the optimal combos (which include links)

alstein

Rose isn't really link heavy.

Fuerte is all about landing a 1f link over and over (Run Stop Fierce) it's why you see him rarely used- he's a one-trick gimmick character.

Honda is link heavy- he is heavily about low jabs into hands into linking off hands (the hard part here is jab into hands)

One of the issues with SF4 is that it's evolved over time to the point where execution and rote knowledge can heavily compensate for a lack of ability to make reads. This happens with most fighting games, but it really is an issue with SF4. Stuff like safe jump, vortexes, and option selecting have made the mental side of SF less than what it was. I was holding out hope the new patch would fix some of this, but it sounds like that isn't the direction they are going at all (my guess is Ono considers what I call "stupid" as "skill"- I did get to ask Seth directly about certain motions about three years ago- and that's the response I got, which was Ono considers the inputs as skill even if they made no sense)

K.Sabot

Ugh I am having trouble with this adon that is just holding up forward after EVERYTHING

God that was annoying. Dude literally held up forward after every tick throw attempt and it was impossible to react to online.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That might've been the longest session ever. Lots of people played and showed up. :)

I'm telling everybody. If AE had TTT2 netcode, online lobbies would be way more booming. It sucks that there is still lag all over.

alstein

That might've been the longest session ever. Lots of people played and showed up. :)

I'm telling everybody. If AE had TTT2 netcode, online lobbies would be way more booming. It sucks that there is still lag all over.

I don't think the netcode is so bad that it turns people away (at least not on 360/PC, it is worse on PS3)- this isn't KOF or MK bad.

Hopefully by next-gen devs figure out that netcode is no longer optional.

stn

One of the issues with SF4 is that it's evolved over time to the point where execution and rote knowledge can heavily compensate for a lack of ability to make reads. This happens with most fighting games, but it really is an issue with SF4. Stuff like safe jump, vortexes, and option selecting have made the mental side of SF less than what it was.
Safe-jumps and OS'es have always been in SF, but I get what you mean. They've never been more vital to gameplay than SF4. I truly think that you can become a solid player in this game just by learning how to hit-confirm and tech throws. Many of the characters don't need to play SF footsies to win, and some of them emphasize air-borne combat. Seriously, what kind of footsies do you need to play as El Fuerte? He just runs around everywhere, every match with him in it is chaotic.

I just don't feel like this game rewards footsies and spacing as much as previous SF games. I mean, you throw out a poke with many active frames and your opponent gets a free ultra just because he was randomly charging a focus attack. At the highest level you definitely need to know your fundamentals, but I've seen TOO MANY A-rank players who jump around all over the place. Those players would never survive in a game like 3S, for example.

Kioshen

Ugh I am having trouble with this adon that is just holding up forward after EVERYTHING

God that was annoying. Dude literally held up forward after every tick throw attempt and it was impossible to react to online.

If he always does that then you know how he'll react. Bunch of options like dash under him, punish him when he lands. Poke him to make him jump and reversal when he comes back down.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Who's playing this on PC? Just got a new desktop and will be back on SSF4 as soon as its downloaded. It's gonna be nice to be able to play the PC version with backgrounds on and at a resolution higher than 800x600, lol.

OceanBlue

Who's playing this on PC? Just got a new desktop and will be back on SSF4 as soon as its downloaded. It's gonna be nice to be able to play the PC version with backgrounds on and at a resolution higher than 800x600, lol.

There are a lot of people playing on PC. You'll see people asking for games every now and then and most of them are for PC, lol.

i think the majority of players in this thread play PC by default, and have to specify a console when otherwise

Threi

notag
I miss the xbl comp (getting destroyed by people regularly feels "right" to me), but im not going back. Maybe if live becomes free.

stn

Someone level with me here. Sometimes I'll post on SRK and note that SF4 is full of randomness. I'll also point out that the engine has some flaws. People will say I'm wrong, a noob, and so forth. THEN...

1. People request the vortex to be taken out. If the engine is so amazing then why do people want one of the main components of it to be taken out?

2. People want FADC to be less safe on block. Again, another key feature that SF4 brought to the table.

3. People complain about too many 50/50's. Again, SF4.

4. Dawgtanian comes out and says Capcom wants to change Fuerte so he's less random.

5. Heck, I even see Black Vegeta above me calling me Ibuki's vortex BS. Mike Ross also said before that Ibuki has no match-ups once she knocks you down.

6. Unblockables. Again, a by-product of SF4's engine.

So, what am I missing here? I'm not trying to crap on this game at all...But I DO think it has some randomness and that it doesn't reward fundamentals as much as other fighters. What am I missing here? Not looking for an argument, just a civilized debate. Show me why I'm right or wrong.

Roche

Sadly I don't think I play on a high enough level to comment on whether or not the game is full of randomness. (Half the time what I do is pretty random)

I just wanted to say that Ibuki is fun as hell to play and that's really all I'm in this for.

Venfayth

The first random U1 worked because that rog didn't know it was a command grab, he messaged me after, but it's a guaranteed punish after the overhead smash unless he focus backdashes.

Beckx

Finally took my Hakan out of the lab into fights.

I think I love this character. I didn't do great (@#$! execution errors making me miss the dead simple QCF+P after j.mp>c.mk) but really love playing him.

notworksafe

That QCF+P on Hakan is a goddamn travesty. So many full screen command grabs. Fuck auto-correct.

I hate to say this, but TToB was right!

Beckx

That QCF+P on Hakan is a goddamn travesty. So many full screen command grabs. Fuck auto-correct.

I hate to say this, but TToB was right!

QCF+P is oil slide. Grabs (rocket/dive) are 360 or shortcut.

But yeah, I've seen the full screen grab after lp.rocket (whiff s.HK > Dive) and it's sick, but timing is super tight (1F to hit on wakeup, I think?)

notworksafe

Yeah I know what oil slide is lol. And goddamn auto-correct fucks me into getting grab like 50% of the time. I usually look like a goddamn moron trying to hug air. Only happens in SF4.
dLi2N.png

Beckx

Yeah I know what oil slide is lol. And goddamn auto-correct fucks me into getting grab like 50% of the time. I usually look like a goddamn moron trying to hug air. Only happens in SF4.
dLi2N.png

OH! ha, now I see, I totally read that the wrong way.

Kinda like how with his super I end up dowsing myself in oil at close range. :(

Top Bottom