• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

OceanBlue

Offline is magical guys. For the past 5-6 months, I've been trying to anti-air people's jumps without any success. I went to casuals yesterday and played nothing but Guilty Gear (which I've never played before) and characters I don't play in SF4 for 7 hours. Today I'm anti-airing everything, being patient, and applying basic pressure (even though I was really stupid against this one player and kept trying to tick grab him even though he was DPing every time he was at frame disadvantage). It allowed me to actually make people stay on the ground so I could play footsies! I got 500 PP. Offline is magical!

(I'm probably going to return to my awful no-anti-air mode tomorrow morning :(. Ah well, it was a nice streak.)

Imm0rt4l

I mean how can you be more 'efficient'?

Do you have problems with it trading instead of cleanly beating a jumpin? Or do you just have problems reacting?

be more efficient by not letting any jumps go unpunished, keep my opponent grounded and honest. Not so much reaction, but it is that in part. It's mostly the input from any given position and not just when anticipating a jump.

Venfayth

be more efficient by not letting any jumps go unpunished, keep my opponent grounded and honest. Not so much reaction, but it is that in part. It's mostly the input from any given position and not just when anticipating a jump.

I see.

I know that for myself, I had to spend hours and hours just playing matches where my focus was only on anti-airing, and now it is to the point where it's just up to my reactions.

That meant losing a lot in order to build up the muscle memory and instinct to anti-air.

xCobalt

Anyone have experience against Cody? Starting to realize how annoying his staggered jabs are. Not sure what I can do against it as Gouken. I think my only option is counter but that's not really reliable.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
All of a sudden my PC isn't recognizing the LT and RT triggers on any Mad Catz fightpad I try. This is only happening with the fightpads- the triggers are recognized with an Xbox 360 controller.

Anyone else ever had this happen? I tried reinstalling the drivers but it made no difference. On Win 8 btw.

Went 2-2 in both AE and SFxT at UFGT. I need to work on throw tech lol. Oh well got a new stick (my old one has been a little flaky) on the cheap thanks to Markman and had a lot of fun in general.

All of a sudden my PC isn't recognizing the LT and RT triggers on any Mad Catz fightpad I try. This is only happening with the fightpads- the triggers are recognized with an Xbox 360 controller.

Anyone else ever had this happen? I tried reinstalling the drivers but it made no difference. On Win 8 btw.

Have you tried using the fightpad on the 360 itself? I have heard that the buttons wear out on those with enough use.

LakeEarth

Anyone have experience against Cody? Starting to realize how annoying his staggered jabs are. Not sure what I can do against it as Gouken. I think my only option is counter but that's not really reliable.

Cody is a problem for me, too. When he's on you, you have to block and be patient. Random counters can work, but only work once. You should focus on a keepaway strategy, only going in on knockdowns since he has limited wakeup options.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Have you tried using the fightpad on the 360 itself? I have heard that the buttons wear out on those with enough use.

Yeah, it's fine- I tried three different 360 fight pads and got the same result. Tested them using Joy.cpl and Windows doesn't recognize that the buttons exist anymore. Has to be the result of an update.

But I still have a PS3 fightpad and a Hori I can try.

cHaotix8

Your focus should be making sure he doesn't get in at all. Since that is pretty impossible, focus on being patient on defense and choosing a time where you can focusxxbackdash. It can be kind of hard since a lot of players like to do jab pressure then go for a jump in crossup, but part of having good defense is recognizing you opponent's offense and responding accordingly.

xCobalt

Cody is a problem for me, too. When he's on you, you have to block and be patient. Random counters can work, but only work once. You should focus on a keepaway strategy, only going in on knockdowns since he has limited wakeup options.

Your focus should be making sure he doesn't get in at all. Since that is pretty impossible, focus on being patient on defense and choosing a time where you can focusxxbackdash. It can be kind of hard since a lot of players like to do jab pressure then go for a jump in crossup, but part of having good defense is recognizing you opponent's offense and responding accordingly.

Thanks for the replies. It's very difficult to keep Cody out as Gouken. His slide works so well against Gouken's relatively high fireballs. He can just keep scooting in slowly until he's in range for his hop kick or f.mp. I have made a bit of leeway though...if I see the Cody stand up, cl.st.mk will often stuff his next jab.

I'll definitely try focus backdash and see how well that works. I have a feeling Cody will probably be able to recover in time from the jab and punish accordingly. I'll try it out though. In regards to jab pressure and then going for a cross up, that can be shut down by Gouken very easily. His close st.hk will stuff cross ups provided that the opponent is not doing it on your wakeup. It's very useful if you're pressuring someone in the corner and they try to jump out. It only does like 20 or 30 damage so its not that useful in deterring people though.

Went 2-2 in both AE and SFxT at UFGT. I need to work on throw tech lol. Oh well got a new stick (my old one has been a little flaky) on the cheap thanks to Markman and had a lot of fun in general.

I get so salty at that too. I just so used to not throwing from being an old school player I forget to tech it too

Veal

Man its kinda sad to hear you've kinda given up on Gouken, Imm0rt4l (though I don't blame you at all.) You always seemed like a beast player. I just feel like some of Gouken's weaknesses are a bit too difficult to overcome consistently with the current playstyles and meta gameplay of most players nowadays. He really, really needs some help.

Yeah, it's fine- I tried three different 360 fight pads and got the same result. Tested them using Joy.cpl and Windows doesn't recognize that the buttons exist anymore. Has to be the result of an update.

But I still have a PS3 fightpad and a Hori I can try.

Hmmm might try plugging it in then go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver. Then try unplugging it then plugging it back in and having it reinstall

Man its kinda sad to hear you've kinda given up on Gouken, Imm0rt4l (though I don't blame you at all.) You always seemed like a beast player. I just feel like some of Gouken's weaknesses are a bit too difficult to overcome consistently with the current playstyles and meta gameplay of most players nowadays. He really, really needs some help.

NOTHING MAKES SENSE ANYMORE

Robot Pants

This is an odd question for this thread, but maybe you guys know.
I have the disc version for the PC which I got on amazon from a guy in the UK (I live in US). So it's the UK version of the game (didn't think that mattered on PC).
Anyhow, on my last dvd-rom it installed just fine, however now I redid my computer and have a BD-ROM.
When I tried to install this game it freezes at about 20% and doesn't go any further, and I can hear the disc having trouble in the tray.

Now the drive works fine, I tested it with about 10 other blu-rays and dvds and have had no problems, and the SF4 disc is PERFECT. Pristine, not a thing on it.

Any ideas? Region problems?

edit: nm I boiled the disc and it worked.

Guile
Bison
Balrog
Vega
Honda
DeeJay
Blanka
Chun Li

Blanka
Honda
Chun-Li
Guile
Balrog
Vega
Bison
Dee Jay
Gen (only in one of his stances)
Thanks gents. Chun-li just has the d,u charge, right? Actually, of those, only the following have b,f charges (correct?):

Honda
Guile
Balrog
Bison
Blanka

And these have d,u charges:
Blanka
Honda
Chun-li
Guile
Vega
Bison

I don't know anything about Dee Jay and Gen, but I don't want to deal with stances (dumb mechanic), so Gen is out.

So, if I wanted to learn both b,f charges and d,u charges, my choices are:
Honda
Guile
Bison
Blanka

Do I have that all right? If so, I'll probably go with Guile or Bison.

Correct?

Kioshen

Every charge character listed above have charged moves in both axis. Chun Li's kikoken is a horizontal charge.

Considering you like heavy keepaway, try Guile first since Bipson likes to be more in your face.

Every charge character listed above have charged moves in both axis. Chun Li's kikoken is a horizontal charge.

Considering you like heavy keepaway, try Guile first since Bipson likes to be more in your face.
What is Vega's b,f charge?

No way am I playing Chun-li. :p

And I don't like keepaway, I like zoning - big difference! I'll mess with both and see who I like.

Kioshen

And I don't like keepaway, I like zoning - big difference! I'll mess with both and see who I like.

Can you explain what you mean by big difference ? As a non-native speaker this is one of the things that always eluded me because I don't see it. In any case, I'm willing to bet that you'll like Guile better than Bison.

LakeEarth

What the hell, Rose? Really? I put all this work into Ryu for months, and when I decide to switch to Rose for fun and after a week or two I shoot up my max ever points by 500pp? Very unexpected.

Venfayth

What the hell, Rose? Really? I put all this work into Ryu for months, and when I decide to switch to Rose for fun and after a week or two I shoot up my max ever points by 500pp? Very unexpected.

Part of the downside to playing Ryu is that he's so common that everybody has developed strategies against him. Playing a less common character increases the chance that your opponents won't know how your character works or that your offense will be less predictable.

Plus Rose has really good buttons with a lot of interesting properties, and easy & effective mixups.

LakeEarth

Absolutely. My footsie game could use some work though, most of my wins come from fireball wars, c.hp and up-close shenanigans (frame traps and landing the super).

Today I somehow made my first orb cross-up (blocked), and my second orb not cross up (not blocked). I really gotta learn how to consistently do that.

I don't know anything about Dee Jay and Gen, but I don't want to deal with stances (dumb mechanic), so Gen is out.

So, if I wanted to learn both b,f charges and d,u charges, my choices are:
Honda
Guile
Bison
Blanka

Do I have that all right? If so, I'll probably go with Guile or Bison.

Correct?

i think dee jay is more fun to play than guile, and he also has two d,u charges (one with punch, one with kick [you can actually land two of his d,u upkicks off an anti air]). dee jay's zoning is middle of the pack, but he can mix it up with his 'vortex' game, and his knee shots can be pretty annoying for pressure and runaway.

still, i think you should pick up honda. hedabes.

LakeEarth

I agree. He's simple, and pokes do a ton of damage. Jab xx Hands is his advanced stuff, but for online play you can get away without it. He gets screwed over by fireball characters, but EX headbutt is a great GTFO move / anti-air / fly away from vortex move.

Deejay is fun, but his damage is so low that a player might get discouraged.

Can you explain what you mean by big difference ? As a non-native speaker this is one of the things that always eluded me because I don't see it. In any case, I'm willing to bet that you'll like Guile better than Bison.
You aren't a native English speaker? Damn, I would never have guessed.

Keepaway = goal is to have as much space between you and opponent as possible while flooding the screen with projectiles (Hawkeye, Arthur, Dhalsim, Peacock)

Zoning = space control; the opponent being closer to you is not necessarily bad, so long as you are controlling space (MvC2 Sentinel, Dormammu, Guile, Parasoul)

I'll probably use Guile just because he plays like Parasoul, whom I want to learn, and Bison's d,u specials confuse me.

i think dee jay is more fun to play than guile, and he also has two d,u charges (one with punch, one with kick [you can actually land two of his d,u upkicks off an anti air]). dee jay's zoning is middle of the pack, but he can mix it up with his 'vortex' game, and his knee shots can be pretty annoying for pressure and runaway.

No way on Honda. I don't like characters with low mobility usually. Plus the aesthetics...gross.

I'll add Dee Jay to my short list, so now it's:
Guile
Dee Jay
Bison

One of these will become my permanent SSFIVAE main! :-O
Probably Guile.

Top Bottom