• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

InsertNameHere said:
If I play some matches against other newer players (low pp/bp) with Makoto and attempt to play 'correctly' to the best of my ability, I'm going to get destroyed by people mashing probably, right?

Just want to know when I should start getting discouraged and rethinking my gameplan, haha.

A bad Makoto is significantly worse than a bad mashing Ryu/Ken. I'd suggest learning the ropes against the CPU for a bit to get a gist of how to play against a moving target. Don't bother with arcade, just set up a VS game against whoever you want and set it to hardest so they don't wiff heavy srks and give you free damage. Ryu on hardest zones way better than 99% of people I've played online so don't ignore the CPU.

Stick it out and you'll be stunning people all over the place in no time
some time

LProtag

toasty_T said:
A bad Makoto is significantly worse than a bad mashing Ryu/Ken. I'd suggest learning the ropes against the CPU for a bit to get a gist of how to play against a moving target. Don't bother with arcade, just set up a VS game against whoever you want and set it to hardest so they don't wiff heavy srks and give you free damage. Ryu on hardest zones way better than 99% of people I've played online so don't ignore the CPU.

Stick it out and you'll be stunning people all over the place in no time
some time

I figured. I also considered trying Ken as a lot of people told me to start with Ryu to learn the game's basics, but Ken seems like he would lead more to the Makoto playstyle than Ryu would while still allowing you to get down all the basics.

Who knows. I will persevere somehow.

LakeEarth

God, I keep getting two rare characters in a row. First I got two different Guy players in a row, then two Rufus'. I haven't seen a Rufus in ages.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dark_Gray_Aris.jpg

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2011/8/15/pre-order-the-new-atp-shirt.html

SmokeMaxX said:
Those Bison Throw setups aren't even that good <_<
Some of those setups HAVE to be like -20 frame disadvantage or something.

EDIT: Not trying to crap on the list. Just saying most of those "setups" aren't free for Bison by any means. Most of them are heavily punishable.

COME ONLINE AND SEE HOW UNSAFE THEY ARE
SAY THAT TO MY FACE AND NOT ONLINE
etc etc

Of course they are unsafe. Throwing is unsafe, let alone with a character that cant mash dp. Every single one of these throw set ups (as most setups) rely on two things: confusion and the element of surprise. Unless youre on some shin yomi shit youre not going to be teching every single one of these set ups, nor are you going to be dping them. As i've said, if anyone wants to get thrown, get at me, otherwise continue to think the set ups arent that good, i can assure you they all work marvelously

Sblargh

Banned
I get my wins online with Makoto, but man, do I play very different then those pros. Not that I play worse, is that my suckness forces me into a turtle Makoto who get in, cause damage, get out, get in again. It just feels that wake up mash anything will destroy every attempt to keep pressure after I get a knock down.
I don't know, I feel scared. :(

Kadey said:
Dhalsim is so fun to use. I need to work on my close range combat and anti air. I have the zoning and certain mixups down.

Out of every character I think I pissed off more people using him than any other. Bison is a close second.

Those are my two mains. Empty Devils Reverse to throw is my favorite setup besides PC whiff to throw.

zlatko

Banned
biosnake20 said:

thefirstmeeting.gif

Edit: Oh damn that Aris shirt is too fly. I'll have to pick one up later on when I have the spare change. I want to help him buy his equipment for streaming Tekken 6. Last Friday's stream was too funny. xD

zlatko said:
thefirstmeeting.gif

Edit: Oh damn that Aris shirt is too fly. I'll have to pick one up later on when I have the spare change. I want to help him buy his equipment for streaming Tekken 6. Last Friday's stream was too funny. xD
6Tz5M.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Edgeward said:
This is some pretty bad-ass shit
http://imgur.com/d4sQ2.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/C2tll.jpg[/IMG

credit [URL="http://bosslogic.deviantart.com/gallery/11411486"]http://bosslogic.deviantart.com/gallery/11411486[/URL][/QUOTE]

I need these in my life

Satyamdas

Banned
MiniBossBattle said:
Those are my two mains. Empty Devils Reverse to throw is my favorite setup besides PC whiff to throw.
I dunno what it is with all you Sim players that also play Shrimpson on the side, but it disgusts me to no end. He's like our mortal fucking enemy! >:| *spits in revulsion*

I don't see how you can go from the cerebral thinking man's character to the most braindead easy mode autopilot character. Now playing Sim does require a lot more brain juice than the rest of the cast so I guess I can see how after playing such a mentally demanding character, that if you still want to play you'd be forced to pick a character designed for players who've been lobotomized or are just naturally less intelligent. But still I find it treasonous and appalling all the same. ^_^

j/k Bipson players!! <3 you guys! Especially you, DBJ! ^_^

jlai

AZ Greg said:
lol @ skipping round 2.

It was late and was having trouble getting it recorded so I kept skipped the rounds to save myself time. I also should've skipped the 2nd round that time I double perfected you HEYO

LProtag

Fightstick is on the UPS truck to get here today... super excited.

But UPS always shows up at my house near the end of the day at 6PM lately, blargh.

So I guess the player pool on PC is kinda small since I ran into a chun player a few minutes ago and got perfected twice because I just got comboed on non stop. So free, shit wasn't even on sale it was being tossed out the door at passerbys.

A few minutes later I got into another match with the same player and I realized that he always opened with that jump in attack whatever it is. After his opening game got thrown off he did a whole bunch of unsafe jump ins and ate a whole lot of shoryuken. Also his combos were kind of stale, barely any mix up and now throws. I went in for a few jump in throws and none of them got teched once. I still lost but both rounds were really close.

This is probably even worse than losing. If this is what I am playing against, I am not even sure if there is a point to keep playing.

Chavelo

Lostconfused said:
So I guess the player pool on PC is kinda small since I ran into a chun player a few minutes ago and got perfected twice because I just got comboed on non stop. So free, shit wasn't even on sale it was being tossed out the door at passerbys.

A few minutes later I got into another match with the same player and I realized that he always opened with that jump in attack whatever it is. After his opening game got thrown off he did a whole bunch of unsafe jump ins and ate a whole lot of shoryuken. Also his combos were kind of stale, barely any mix up and now throws. I went in for a few jump in throws and none of them got teched once. I still lost but both rounds were really close.

This is probably even worse than losing. If this is what I am playing against, I am not even sure if there is a point to keep playing.

Was that on rank? And were you looking for people in the same skill level?

rivals

The PC player pool is definitely still small. In ranked I end up playing the same 6-8 people or so most of the time if I choose same skill. I haven't checked out the endless lobbies much yet though.

EDIT: Your best bet for finding good players to improve with is play with people you know, or gaffers and what not. If you post your GT in here I'm sure at least a few people will start playing with you and we can get some endless lobbies going and shit. I don't think I've played PC with anyone on gaf yet.

Chavelo said:
Was that on rank? And were you looking for people in the same skill level?
It was arcade mode open to challenges. I am not sure what the ranking is like in AE, the person had something like 1600/6500 points or whatever it was.

I played against an Adon player before that and he seemed pretty cool. Certainly knew what to do against me and punished my weak ass shit with stuff that I didn't know about or didn't see comming.

rivals said:
The PC player pool is definitely still small. In ranked I end up playing the same 6-8 people or so most of the time if I choose same skill. I haven't checked out the endless lobbies much yet though.

EDIT: Your best bet for finding good players to improve with is play with people you know, or gaffers and what not. If you post your GT in here I'm sure at least a few people will start playing with you and we can get some endless lobbies going and shit. I don't think I've played PC with anyone on gaf yet.

yeah, so far PC player pool is small when I first played it. And most of them weren't very good and got the fivepeat achievement first try....I stopped at 8 wins and still haven't lost *crosses fingers*

I gotta play some gaffers, but my schedule is always hectic because of work so it's hard geting some long games in

rivals

I know exactly how that goes. I'm around various times in the afternoon and evening but I don't keep my desktop on/logged into steam. If you post in here or in IRC when you're playing I'll be able to put in games from time to time though.

Top Bottom