• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

2tlgQ.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

qcf x2

mastershake said:
Generally I am more comfortable on my fightpad and my execution seems better but i cant pull off seismic cancel worth a shit. I plugged in my TE - index finger over lp, pinky over lp+mp+hp - and i can pull it off decently.

Who are really good "starter" characters? (no ryu/ken pls!)

First of all, don't use "lp+mp+hp" for feints. Learn it the right way. I'd suggest using as few shortcuts as you can for now.

To your question: Ryu (seriously, learn him even if you don't like him), Rufus, Sagat, T Hawk, Rose and Guile are really easy to use.

cHaotix8

I wouldn't say Rufus or Sagat are easy to use, but they'll help you understand the game faster. I'd throw Cody in there too as he will help you understand how properly start an offense in this game.

mastershake said:
Generally I am more comfortable on my fightpad and my execution seems better but i cant pull off seismic cancel worth a shit. I plugged in my TE - index finger over lp, pinky over lp+mp+hp - and i can pull it off decently.

Yeah i should probably pick another character to start with but i just wanna be like wolfkrone :(

Who are really good "starter" characters? (no ryu/ken pls!)

balrog and bison from what i hear have very straightforward gameplans and are kind of middle of the road for execution.

ooorrrr...you can join the honda contingent!

notworksafe said:
Guile is a good character to start with. Only 3 special moves and lots of normals for every situation!

Almost all of the charge characters can be good for beginners. That being said, there is a bigger gap between beginner play and expert play in charge characters than there is in command characters due to having to master some top level yomi and gimmicks. Guile and Balrog are hella brain dead at beginner levels. Maybe even try zangief with those jumping spds. Also, akuma is sufficiently different from shotos and has a couple of easy combos and set ups

notworksafe

I like to suggest Guile just because he's a good way to learn how to use normals, which is super important when starting out IMO. He's a bit simple at low levels, yeah, but he's still a good person to start with if you want to try charge characters.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
I like to suggest Guile just because he's a good way to learn how to use normals, which is super important when starting out IMO. He's a bit simple at low levels, yeah, but he's still a good person to start with if you want to try charge characters.

Yup. Guile is THE character to recommend to newer players, because he has fundamentals to learn from, a few simple combos, but can win purely off of footsies and zoning. No one in the cast is better to start with.

Also, Onion don't recommend Akuma. He has low health, an an ultra/super that is super unreliable/guess based. He may have some easy combos, but he has a wide move set that makes newer players either ignore some of his options, or they try to toss in all of them just cuz.

I still think Rose is a good character to try out for non charge based characters. Footsie oriented, and helps you learn to BLOCK on wake up/back dash, and NOT mash out DP's. It's why I'm hesitant to recommend Ryu/ken, because newer players will learn bad habits with them. Rose combos are easy too. The main issue with rose is that her Ultra 2 is clearly nerfed now in AE, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal to newer players as long as they activate it away from opponents, or on knocked down opponents.

Guile and Rose is where it's at to learn the game IMO, but really the better thing to recommend to players is characters to avoid at the start. There's less characters who are hard to learn at a beginner level, then there are easier ones/intermediate ones. The C.Vipers, Ibukis, , etc.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, i appreciate it!

Rose and Guile seem to be the popular choices so i think ill start there. I certainly need to learn the fundamentals. Guile is a charge character so that will be perfect, i can play them both and see which style of play i like the most. Hopefully get good enough to jump in on some of the GAF shenanigans.

LProtag

I'm wondering if I should actually try one of the twins instead of Ken in order to progress to Makoto. Does that seem like a better progression?

I don't want to look like a scrubby Yun player, so maybe Yang?

zlatko

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
I'm wondering if I should actually try one of the twins instead of Ken in order to progress to Makoto. Does that seem like a better progression?

Both are harder to learn than Ken or Makoto. The reason they are so beast is because of their potential in the right hands.

If Ken is rough, tone it down, and go with Guile or Rose. Or buy the 360 version and let me edumacate you. ;p

LProtag

zlatko said:
Both are harder to learn than Ken or Makoto. The reason they are so beast is because of their potential in the right hands.

If Ken is rough, tone it down, and go with Guile or Rose. Or buy the 360 version and let me edumacate you. ;p

Ken's not rough for me, it's just I'm not doing complete rushdown with him like I would with Makoto. Not that I can really execute any good mixups anyway.

I guess everything is subjective because people were saying the twins were easier than Makoto and to not start with her.

Maybe I'll just go back to grinding it out as Makoto in a little bit once I get more basics down.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
zlatko said:

Twins harder to learn than Ken or Makoto? You're crazy.

InsertNameHere said:

Just pick Yun. Fuck what other people think.

I don't think I've read anybody suggest Bison. He's a pretty simple yet powerful character.

LProtag

Lost Fragment said:
Twins harder to learn than Ken or Makoto? You're crazy.

Just pick Yun. Fuck what other people think.

I don't think I've read anybody suggest Bison. He's a pretty simple yet powerful character.

I like Yang a little better than Yun, but I haven't even tried playing either of them. I'll fool around some tonight with things and see how they go. My eventual goal is to play Makoto as my main, I just want to make sure I get basics down.

zlatko

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Ken's not rough for me, it's just I'm not doing complete rushdown with him like I would with Makoto. Not that I can really execute any good mixups anyway.

I guess everything is subjective because people were saying the twins were easier than Makoto and to not start with her.

Maybe I'll just go back to grinding it out as Makoto in a little bit once I get more basics down.

You have two things you need to learn right now

1) How to block.

2) What every other character can do to you.

These two things will help you learn any other character, because if you learn what Blanka can do to you for example, you can then start putting the pieces together on how to transition something from Ken to Makoto.

The reason people are saying Makoto is hard is because you simply need to know what every other character is capable of, before you can expect to set her things up. Why Ken is a suggestion to learn at the start instead is he can eek out victories against other people in your skill group that you get matched up with through random factor as you try to learn. Makoto may look like on screen at high level she's just going ape shit crazy offensive, but it's way more than that that came from matchup knowledge, and knowing the game.

Don't be scared to mix it up away from Ken. Simply going through the trials with any of the characters will let you see their moves first hand, and even playing them a few times online can let you have a taste of what they want to go for since you yourself are trying to accomplish it. Another good thing to try when you are just trying to test combos is to go into training mode and set the A.I to hardest difficulty, and then fight it for a while. Make the computer Ken or Sagat or any match up you are having trouble with. This way the computer will always mess you up for doing bad jumps, dropping combos, etc. Of course fighting a real person is always better, but it can get discouraging to just hop online for hours at a time and lose 90% of your fights too.

Find someone from GAF on the console you're on, and see if they are willing to train you a little, and offer advice. I'm on 360, and I'd be more than willing, but you are on PS3 I assume.

Edit: By the way the "learn the basics," thing can take months. In fact more often than not they will. It's a big roster to learn. You will start seeing more consistent wins though when you can always block cross ups, 80% tech throws, don't mash on your wake up, and avoid random ultras. You can learn this in a quick matter of time, but if this is your first fighting game, then expect a lot of time needed to be put in to start seeing results.

LProtag

Yeah, I've been blocking a lot. I end up having a lot of standoffs with other newer players where we're both crouch blocking and poking/trying to sweep for a knockdown. I'm also getting better at blocking crossups. I've been pretty good with teching throws too, though not a lot of lower ranked players throw that often. I'm kinda bad at capitalizing on knockdowns though and can't really do much with crossup.

I'm getting the hang of it and feel like I'm making some progress at least. Execution of course is still a problem, especially in matches.

El Sloth

Banned
Edgeward said:
John Riciarrdi and Mark saw it. I know John saw most if not all of top 16.
Cool. I hope they bring it up on their next podcast. Would like to hear what they thought about the event and the level of play going on there.

kitzkozan

Conceited said:
GG4 was a great tournament, great experience, but people who say it was better than AE at EVO 2k11 are crazy IMO.

You say that because of the boring final, but nah. It was one notch above EVO2K11 since the talent level was higher. Uryo, Kaze, Nemo are better than Wolfkrone or Flash Metroid. I'll admit Latif running that gauntlet of hell was amazing and he's better or as good as everyone at GG#4, but hey. :p Daigo losing to RF was kind of sad and Sako got exposed. :( Hitting crazy links is nice and all, but you need more to win it all.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
kitzkozan said:
You say that because of the boring final, but nah. It was one notch above EVO2K11 since the talent level was higher. Uryo, Kaze, Nemo are better than Wolfkrone or Flash Metroid. I'll admit Latif running that gauntlet of hell was amazing and he's better or as good as everyone at GG#4, but hey. :p Daigo losing to RF was kind of sad and Sako got exposed. :( Hitting crazy links is nice and all, but you need more to win it all.

Well that is awfully presumptious of you. Perhaps you missed the part where I said it was simply my opinion.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just played an Endless match against a 3000+ PP player. He beat me five times in a row, then I won two in a row, then lost against his main.

After these series of matches he sent me a message: "lol fucking scrub".

I replied with: "Thanks man! Good Games! :)"

LOL love hate mail.

Degen

I get called a scrub almost every time I beat someone with 2000 BP or more by churning SPDs through blockstrings a bunch of times. Losers gonna lose

LProtag

I beat a scrub pretty decently when I caught onto his patterns and managed to change my slightly predictable ones enough to keep him on his toes (one of my like 6 wins out of 70+ games, ahaha) and he sent me a message saying "Man, you're really good, we should play again sometime."

Boggled my mind. Maybe he was being sarcastic.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Degen said:
I get called a scrub almost every time I beat someone with 2000 BP or more by churning SPDs through blockstrings a bunch of times. Losers gonna lose

I would have to imagine grapplers get the most hate mail apart from possibly Sim or Blanka players.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Conceited said:
I would have to imagine grapplers get the most hate mail apart from possibly Sim or Blanka players.

True that. I think in my case people just hate losing to people who DP on them. The match I was playing I must've DP'd like ten times in the match, and it connected like seven times. Well trust me, if I had DP'd ten times and it only worked a couple of times, you better believe I'm going to stop doing it. I'll smash DP all day as long as you keep on jumping into it or being predictable enough that I think it's going to work.

To me there are two defining characteristics of a scrub:
a) they only have a couple of tactics (throw fireballs and sweep kick) and when they lose they are salty about losing because you beat all their tactics.
b) they keep on getting hit by the same couple of moves over and over (condor dive condor dive condor dive) and they are salty because they couldn't beat your tactics.

... it seems that scrubby players are only ever happy when they lose to a player who uses an entire super meter, FADC twice in a combo, into Ultra.

N4Us

When I was working on C To Shining C in Super the most I got hatemail for was Gen. Even when I lost. FWIW I never even got one hatemail for Blanka.

Top Bottom