• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yall just need to do what I do and send a kind message back whenever someone sends you hate mail. I congratulate them on their victory and tell them that it was a good match.

I've yet to receive a follow up response after sending a kind message to a hate mailer. :)

LProtag

Professor Beef said:
I rarely get hate mail when I play Hawk online, but then again I'm not churning.

Nobody hates me. :(

Beef, teach me how to beat grapplers. Gief steamrolls over me all the time. Should I backdash out of knockdowns?

qcf x2

I get hatemail from people I don't even remember playing. Sometimes I'd like to write enlightening responses, but it would take entirely too long using the TE stick.

Plus I mean, it's Endless. You don't lose points for losing matches. The only time I ever get frustrated in Endless is when there's lag and/or I get booted after waiting or after winning.

I get called a scrub almost every time I beat someone with 2000 BP or more by churning SPDs through blockstrings a bunch of times. Losers gonna lose

-___________-

InsertNameHere said:
Beef, teach me how to beat grapplers. Gief steamrolls over me all the time. Should I backdash out of knockdowns?
You're using Makoto, right? Because I have no clue what she can do on wakeup against a competent grappler.

LProtag

Professor Beef said:
You're using Makoto, right? Because I have no clue what she can do on wakeup against a competent grappler.

Well, I want to be eventually. Right now I'm using Ken but I might try out the twins for the basics.

I guess I'll just... try to not get knocked down.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Does anyone know how to remedy online issues on AE PC?

I can't connect to Corky on pc but can join him on xbox without a hitch.
may have to do with ports i guess. Not sure which ports to forward.

InsertNameHere said:
Well, I want to be eventually. Right now I'm using Ken but I might try out the twins for the basics.

I guess I'll just... try to not get knocked down.
Well if you're using Ken, you could uppercut > FADC away for maximum safety on wakeup. His stepkick-thing (forward + medium kick) is also extremely annoying to deal with.

Satyamdas

Banned
kitzkozan said:
You say that because of the boring final, but nah. It was one notch above EVO2K11 since the talent level was higher. Uryo, Kaze, Nemo are better than Wolfkrone or Flash Metroid. I'll admit Latif running that gauntlet of hell was amazing and he's better or as good as everyone at GG#4, but hey. :p Daigo losing to RF was kind of sad and Sako got exposed. :( Hitting crazy links is nice and all, but you need more to win it all.
mj-laughingqdvl.gif

JBgmx.gif

GG4 was great with a lot of great matches, but it wasn't better than Evo AE.

Satyamdas

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Yes, which is why I'm trying to stick to the basics before playing a more advanced character.
That is the best way to go about it, IMO. Most of us played SF2 back in the day and learned the basics there, and they transferred very well into SF4. It's easy to forget just how long it takes to get the basics and execution of the game down pat when so many years have passed since SF2.

And once you do get that basic stuff down then the hard part begins in learning the nuances of each matchup, mind games, improving your defense, learning to read your opponent, consciously avoiding your own patterns to keep from being read, offensive traps and tricks that you have to do to win and so on. Getting basics down takes a long time, but can eventually be mastered. The other stuff not so much. Like a doctor who is still "practicing" medicine after 40 years, SF players never fully master their craft. There is always something a player can fix, adjust, or improve on in his game, and that goes for everyone.

Back in the day there were only 8 (then 12) characters to choose from, and since SF2 lasted for almost a decade, most players eventually learned how to play most if not all of the cast. Now with 39 characters that is a lot more daunting, but you can still kind of float between types of characters like grapplers, zoning, rushdown characters, and charge or motion characters to see what style suits you best. Just finding out which character you enjoy playing the most can take a long time. I'd say try not to commit to any character fully right off the bat, mess around with a bunch and see what fits you best and which characters' play styles you do and don't like, which sounds like what you are doing already.

Overall the best advice I can give is that learning SF4 requires an insanely high amount of time and practice (like learning any other craft or skill, really), and you have to keep that in mind in the beginning when you lose a lot and you feel like the wins may never come. Just keep grinding out training mode sessions to help build muscle memory, grind matches wherever you can to get a feel for the game, and stay positive even when you play for 2 hours and don't win a match. Eventually the wins will come and you will feel the game start to click, and that's when the real fun begins.

Sblargh

Banned
toasty_T said:
Speaking of Brazil, like half the PC leaderboard is made up of brazilian players.

Explain that shit.

I would guess that pirating the game doesn't mean you are a scrub. :p
But I don't even know if pirate copies can connect normally to the leaderboards, but whatever is easier to pirate tends to be Brazil's plataform of choice.

Rocwell

InsertNameHere said:
Backdashing on wakeup is a good defensive option at low to mid levels of play but you should be wary you don't get predictable and eat a fat combo for it.
The important thing about fighting grapplers is to make sure you don't get knocked down or cornered in the first place. Here are some general Gief tips:

You kind of have to play like a boxer in this match, picking your spots to rush in and attack and then quickly out of his range. Stick and move. When you do decide to attack, be wary of them mashing spd's through your block strings. You can do a few quick lights and immediately jump and watch them try to hug the air below you, then you get a free combo of your choice on the way down.

If you manage to knock 'Gief down, his options are pretty limited, if you time it right his only reversal options are ex greenhand and ultra 1 if he has meter, both of which can be evaded pretty easily and punished if he goes for it. Meaty throw pressure seems to work well since gief players are usually looking for a spd which will lose to a properly timed throw. It's really important to see what kind of player you're up against and adjust accordingly,
this is important for all matchups but grapplers kind of magnify this because they do so much damage
his green hands are unsafe on block so you can punish with a throw or a ground combo of your choice if you were paying attention.

Makoto vs Gief: Keep him out, use your pokes, cr. mp, s. mk, cr. hk, s. mp are all very important in this matchup. Cr. HK works great as an anti air and to punish gief for trying to walk forward or for throwing out random lariats when you're in range. J. HK is also very useful, it has great range and will often beat lariats at certain ranges.

You really need to be careful with specials in this match especially your hayates, if he blocks one he'll take you for a spin. Even on hit he can snatch you up if you try to follow up with more pressure. Even your axe kicks can get spd'd if you're not careful.

Comboing into ex hayate is great in this match because it pushes gief far into the corner and you get some breathing room. Speaking of which, I like ultra 2 in this match because it's a free escape if you're in deep trouble and you can also use it to punish random lariats hard.

That's all I've got for now, cheers.

USD

biosnake20 said:
Wasnt there supposed to be a madcatz announcement at GG4?
Not like an "announcement" announcement ("We're sponsoring Fuudo!"). Just a word from a representative.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Oh my, played like 6 hours of offline AE against two mates yesterday. I've forgot how good this game is when you're not playing with perpetual x ms lag and y % input drops...

it was amazing to see how one has progressed, recently I have been trying to fool around with plinking but yesterday I was actually setting seths cl.hk - c.mp 1f link more often than I missed it. On a pretty shitty 360 pad nonetheless, not pristine like the one I have at home :I.

But yeah, seths spd, is it throw invincible?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
Oh my, played like 6 hours of offline AE against two mates yesterday. I've forgot how good this game is when you're not play with perpetual x ms lag and y % input drops...
You better get used to it, son!

Satyamdas

Banned
Corky said:
Oh my, played like 6 hours of offline AE against two mates yesterday. I've forgot how good this game is when you're not play with perpetual x ms lag and y % input drops...

it was amazing to see how one has progressed, recently I have been trying to fool around with plinking but yesterday I was actually setting seths cl.hk - c.mp 1f link more often than I missed it. On a pretty shitty 360 pad nonetheless, not pristine like the one I have at home :I.

But yeah, seths spd, is it throw invincible?
Of course it is. :|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuck seth. Only thing good about him is how satisfying it is to do Genei-Jin on him.

Corky

Yoshichan said:
fuck seth. Only thing good about him is how satisfying it is to do Genei-Jin on him.

I'm determined to make him my so called main. I have to, because I gotta stick to someone for more than 1 week. But I bet you're going to rape me with your Yun :'[

edit : though the amount of ragemail I get is almost, almost, as much as the amount I got when I played blanka in the days. Almost.

Yoshichan

Corky said:
I'm determined to make him my so called main. I have to, because I gotta stick to someone for more than 1 week. But I bet you're going to rape me with your Yun :'[

edit : though the amount of ragemail I get is almost, almost, as much as the amount I got when I played blanka in the days. Almost.
No raping will be done by my Yun, unfortunately :( I have so little match up experience against Seth, I can barely hit the guy!

Corky

Yoshichan said:
No raping will be done by my Yun, unfortunately :( I have so little match up experience against Seth, I can barely hit the guy!

Well same here, I played my first ever yun yesterday :O, and just like always, seth flowchart :

Got in that head -> yes -> Get in that ass
Got hit -> no -> get in that head
Got hit -> yes -> Get some koolaid before it's your turn again.

zlatko

Banned
Corky said:

Shit is weird. I've run the gambit with just about everyone in the cast with online sessions, but Seth is the one that produces the most rage for me. Something about a naked man with no genitalia sucking you into his stomach that sets people ablaze with rage.

USD

Satyamdas said:
Of course it is. :|
It's not, pretty sure it's the same as all the other 360s in the game. I remember from the Poongko-Nemo GG#4 match Seth getting thrown out of EX SPD by Yang's EX Zenpou Tenshin, which is actually throw-invincible.

Corky

zlatko said:
Shit is weird. I've run the gambit with just about everyone in the cast with online sessions, but Seth is the one that produces the most rage for me. Something about a naked man with no genitalia sucking you into his stomach that sets people ablaze with rage.

I think it lies in the essence of his character, I mean his thing is to not get hit really. So in other words if a seth player is good, gets his mixups and connects his stuff you won't probably hit him before he stuns you and/or ends the game. Which is of course infuriating.

USD said:
It's not, pretty sure the same as all the other 360s in the game. I remember from Poongko-Nemo GG#4 match Seth getting thrown out of EX SPD by Yang's EX Zenpou Tenshin, which is actually throw-invincible.

I knew it! Satüamdas trying to mess my style with them mind games. I'm on to you.

Top Bottom