• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

kitzkozan said:
HAWK

cr.HK blockstun has been increased by 2 frames to stop people from jumping away from the 2nd hit. Also, his head is now invulnerable to fireballs during this move. Moreover, his Heavy Body Press can now be used from a neutral jump and his Thrust Peak is now just -2 on hit. He is also unthrowable during the start-up of his MP Tomahawk Buster (until he is classed as in the air, in fact).

Finally, his Condor Spire has been given an improved shortcut.
At least I don't have to worry about High Tiger Shot as much anymore, but are those his only changes?

Imm0rt4l

Gouken

• The blog states Gouken has received the largest adjustments so far.

• Gouken's Denjin Hadouken (Ultra 2) has received many changes. It takes less time for Gouken to charge the Denjin Hadouken to full power.

It'll be nice if I actually have a 2nd option, as it is Gouken only has 1 ultra, denjin is pretty useless even if it does have some nifty os's right now. So I'm glad to hear that they've made changes to denjin.

• Denjin Hadouken's travel speed doubled. Also, 45 more damage added to all the "levels" of Denjin Hadouken charges.

It'll be interesting to see just how fast this thing is, breathless fast?

• All of Gouken's Running Palms got altered. Hitbox size on Light Running Palm increased. Medium Palm Strike has been changed to be the same as Light Palm Strike in SSF4. Hard Palm Strike has been changed to be the same as Medium Palm Strike was in Super.
This is how it should have been to begin with

• Gouken's counters have a larger counter-box, so it will be easier to intercept attacks. Stun for each counter increased from 150 to 200.
I'll have to wait and see this, the problem with goukens counter besides the risk of using them(they have more recovery frames and start up frame than active) is that the 3 zones don't work like they're supposed to. Fierce Kongo is supposed to kongo all jump ins, low is supposed to be low and mid is mid. But often times you'll try and counter a jumpin with hp and get a fucking counterhit, you know how stupid it is to see that your opponent is going to jump in and you counter correctly only to get a ch combo on you? feels bad man. I'll have to see the change for myself.

• Active frames on cr.HP increased.
Cool

• The character-specific problem with cl.MP, cr.HP xx EX Running Palm not connecting has been fixed.

This goes without saying since the aforementioned buff. Should have been this way to begin with, instead you got me burning to meters at every opportunity so I can FADC cr. mp xx tatsu. Oh and tatsu is -102 on whiff so the combo is pretty risky in itself.

I can live with this, I think.

Really can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am with the lack of Cammy changes. I didn't want TKCS back necessarily, I just wanted them to do something with her - this complete lack of change is just the worst. I really wanted the backfist to become useful for something.

Axis

APZonerunner said:
Really can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am with the lack of Cammy changes. I didn't want TKCS back necessarily, I just wanted them to do something with her - this complete lack of change is just the worst. I really wanted the backfist to become useful for something.

the change she got makes her immediately better and was her only need IMO. backfist has its uses - albeit highly situational but it still is a good tool in certain situations.

zlatko

Banned
Those Gen buffs are seriously seriously good shit. I will continue putting in the time with him as the salt from winning with him is hilarious. :)

Satyamdas

Banned
pirateben said:
Wow, never realised the simmering Akuma hate here. Hehe.

I find his nerfs strange to be honest (and yes I am an Akuma player) - especially if you play him in an aggressive vortex, high/low mixup style. If not then the nerfs won't really change much, but if you do it's a pretty heavy nerf on paper.

Sure I'll get jumped on for defending a top-tier character, and I've got no complaints about nerfs of clearly broken moves (even if they are hard to execute, like the RH loop from Vanilla), but I really don't think those two things, especially the forward throw, qualified as that.

Anyway, too early to say how it will really change things - maybe new timings and setups can be found to compensate - who knows.
Nobody likes being put in a vortex. Especially one where just blocking gets you thrown and put back in the vortex again. Nerfs aren't only put in place because things are broken, sometimes they are meant to ease up a bit of an advantage, which is what Akuma had in spades off a forward throw + his Demon Flip Palm. He will still have a vortex, it just won't be quite as ridiculous.

And besides, if Tokido is saying it is fine, that is good enough for me.

R150y.jpg

USD

So based on what we know, who gets the best damage off of DP FADC ??? (no UC, no EX beyond the FADC) in Ver.2012? In Vanilla, Cammy got 300 damage off of HK Cannon Spike FADC HK Cannon Spike. In all other versions, it's 200.

Up until Ver.2012, Fei got 280 on most of the cast (220 for the rest) with MK Shien FADC HK Rekku. Assuming the hitboxes work the same, in Ver.2012 it's 220 on most of the cast and 190 on the rest.

Surely someone else is getting better damage off DP FADCs now, right?

Mœbius

Satyamdas said:
Nobody likes being put in a vortex. Especially one where just blocking gets you thrown and put back in the vortex again. Nerfs aren't only put in place because things are broken, sometimes they are meant to ease up a bit of an advantage, which is what Akuma had in spades off a forward throw + his Demon Flip Palm. He will still have a vortex, it just won't be quite as ridiculous.

And besides, if Tokido is saying it is fine, that is good enough for me.
Hehe - cool. I guess that's a good thing, but also, that guy is a god so he can pretty much get around anything. ;) Edit: Also he made another tweet in Japanese which goes along the lines of "These changes are painful, but Tokido's about Akuma! With this character you've got to give your best! I will keep on using him even if he has become weaker!"

Anyway, I agree the vortex can be frustrating, especially for characters with few to no wake-up options, but the thing is - it's part of Akuma's play style and advantage (given his low health and low stun) - take away his vortex and what is there exactly for Akuma to excel at? His footsies and standard zoning game are ok but nothing to write home about.

Anyway I won't go on about it 'cause we know nothing yet until we get in the training room, and I've got little right to complain after the shit they pulled on your character in AE... though this video is pretty funny. :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah. Yun Abel becoming a 1-9 matchup now because of his c.hp buff :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ugh... I'm ready for anything.
Please just nerf damage and hitbox on palm strike

Satyamdas

Banned
pirateben said:
Hehe - cool. I guess that's a good thing, but also, that guy is a god so he can pretty much get around anything. ;)

Anyway, I agree the vortex can be frustrating, especially for characters with few to no wake-up options, but the thing is - it's part of Akuma's play style and advantage (given his low health and low stun) - take away his vortex and what is there exactly for Akuma to excel at? His footsies and standard zoning game are ok but nothing to write home about.

Anyway I won't go on about it 'cause we know nothing yet until we get in the training room, and I've got little right to complain after the shit they pulled on your character in AE... though this video is pretty funny. :p
That's the thing, they aren't removing his vortex, they are weakening it a little bit. He will still have a godlike mixup game, will still do obscene damage, and will still lock down a lot of the cast. Just differently and maybe not to the same ridiculous extent as before.

And Tokido might be the best Akuma, but he still relies on the vortex to be effective. I'd expect him to voice his concern if he thought the changes were too drastic. But like you said, gotta wait and see what it's like in practice.

Mœbius

Satyamdas said:
That's the thing, they aren't removing his vortex, they are weakening it a little bit. He will still have a godlike mixup game, will still do obscene damage, and will still lock down a lot of the cast. Just differently and maybe not to the same ridiculous extent as before.
Yeah sorry I misspoke - didn't mean to say that his entire vortex game is being taken away.

Moving on, I'm interested in seeing how they handle Yun/Yang after seeing the current change list - wonder if there are any clues based off what's been done to the other characters...

cHaotix8

pirateben said:

He's got some of the best runaway in the game, pretty good footsies and his zoning is vastly underrated. The thing is, people just want to always rush down without caring to utilize all of his other tools.

LProtag

Well I guess I don't have to worry too much at my level as a lot of these buffs/nerfs go way over my head.

Though if they somehow make Makoto easier to play...

Sblargh

Banned
Changing main is hard. I main Sakura since vanilla, on Super I tried a bit of Makoto, just now, after post-evo fever, I bought AE and been trying Makoto, and while I do win now and then and there are days where everyting clicks nice, today I got Sak again and man, looks like another game. So efortlessy, so instinctive to know when to cross-up, when to Anti-air, what distance is safe, when to take a risk, etc etc.
When I play Makoto seems like I have to think about everything, even when I win convincily it is a hard fight, with Sak I'm just on autopilot, don't even feel like I am making any decision and I win against people I would have never won with Makoto, even if in theory the match-up is better.

qcf x2

They went from removing post-KO hits for "sportsmanship" reasons but now with Dan they're giving you a huge reward for basically T-bagging someone in a match, lol.

Busaiku

qcf x2 said:
They went from removing post-KO hits for "sportsmanship" reasons but now with Dan they're giving you a huge reward for basically T-bagging someone in a match, lol.
They should bring it back.

Chavelo said:

Dan was always a better shoto than Evil Ryu. :3
From a character design standpoint, sure.

and yes, I too miss the courtesy duff. Especially now that 3SOE is out and you can even courtesy taunt.

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
If Gouken lost an overhead, why can't Akuma, right?
Seriously, and it's not even like akuma lost frame advantage on palm, it's still really good. That shit was broken before.

I think the akuma players crying over the palm are mostly scrubs anyways. The forward throw nerf is huge, but it'll probably still be possible to find new setups.

kitzkozan

AE 2012 is shaping up to be another Super of some sort with compressed tiers, but without being super defensive. Gouken won't be top tier given his changes, but at least he will be more fun to play instead of causing endless frustration. :p It's fun to see that Abel and Fuerte are back, even if the latter can be annoying as fuck.

The upcoming reveal is saving the best for last. Everyone is waiting to see how the twins will survive their nerfs. I am more curious as to how they will improve some characters with ton of potential such as: Guy, Cody, Dee Jay, Ibuki. Makoto shouldn't be touched much if at all. Adon is decent enough, so I wonder how they will buff him? Also wondering what they will do with Juri and Hakan, the former not needing all that much to become really good imo. Last but not least, Evil Ryu and Oni who still feel like incomplete characters or at least didn't receive enough play testing time.

Top Bottom