• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Anyone that argues that ryu's sweep is bad doesnt know what they're talkin about. He has a better sweep than

Abel
Adon
Balrog
Blanka
Cammy
Chun li
Cody
C. Viper
Dan
Dhalsim
Dudley
E. Honda
El Fuerte
Evil Ryu
Gen
Guile
Guy
Hakan
Ibuki
Juri
Makoto
M. Bison
Oni
Rose
Rufus
Sagat
Sakura
Seth
T. Hawk
Vega
Yang
Yun
Zangief

Only Dee Jay, Ken, Fei, Akuma, and Gouken have better sweeps then ryu.

LOL @ some people who message me after being owned by my 50/50 wakeups with Dudley.

I didn't even put much thought into it. It was literally alternating one at a time between sweep and overhead. I was asking for wakeup DPs/Ultra but they didn't smarten up.

PERFECT!
You've received a message.
"Fucking cheater learn how to play the game you fucking suck faggot"

dragonballjoseph said:
0Ail7.jpg

Late, but was this on a stream? Did he pull it off?

SmokeMaxX

Ryu's sweep is really good, but saying it's definitely better than Chun's, Rog's, and Blanka's is debatable. It's really fast but it's like -30 on block. Even though you shouldn't put yourself in a range where you can get your sweep blocked and heavily punished, you have to take into account that long recovery in footsie battles and combos (in case you drop them).

cackhyena said:
His sweep is better than Ryu's to me.

You know, I also use to think that Akuma's sweep is way better then Ryu's. But maybe it only appears that way because Akuma walks so fucking fast, at least that's why I thought it was so good. Yeah it's pretty unsafe if you space it wrong but Ryu has one of the fastest(if not the fastest) sweep in the game. It's great to use to whiff punish and he can jab/strong > sweep against crouching opponents. Besides Dee Jay, can any other character in the game even do that? Being so unsafe is a fair trade for allowing him to get a hard knockdown against his opponent whether they're standing or crouching.

SmokeMaxX said:
Ryu's sweep is really good, but saying it's definitely better than Chun's, Rog's, and Blanka's is debatable. It's really fast but it's like -30 on block. Even though you shouldn't put yourself in a range where you can get your sweep blocked and heavily punished, you have to take into account that long recovery in footsie battles and combos (in case you drop them).
Ryu's sweep is better than theirs for two reasons. First reason is that it starts up faster than all of theirs. Second is how comboable it is. He can combo his sweep off stand jab, crouch jab, and crouch strong. Chun and blanka cant combo theirs at all without counter hit and balrog can only combo it off stand jab. It is true that they are all less negative on block than ryu's, but thats it. They are only better in that one way. But even then, their sweeps are still punishable pretty easily as well. Balrogs is on par with ryu's but not blanka and chuns sweeps.

SamVimes said:
Gen's sweep is better than Ryu's.
Its not better but it is as good as ryu's.

Satyamdas

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
You know, I also use to think that Akuma's sweep is way better then Ryu's. But maybe it only appears that way because Akuma walks so fucking fast, at least that's why I thought it was so good. Yeah it's pretty unsafe if you space it wrong but Ryu has one of the fastest(if not the fastest) sweep in the game. It's great to use to whiff punish and he can jab/strong > sweep against crouching opponents. Besides Dee Jay, can any other character in the game even do that? Being so unsafe is a fair trade for allowing him to get a hard knockdown against his opponent whether they're standing or crouching.
It *is* way better. It starts up only one frame slower than Ryu's but recovers 5 frames faster. Akuma's walkspeed means he is in range a lot quicker than Ryu, and with his st. HK that you have to watch out for, and his cr. MP frame traps, his sweep is far more useful than Ryu's as a poke. The fact that people are even considering that Akuma doesn't have one of the best sweeps in the game is seriously boggling my mind right now. His sweep is top fucking tier without question.

Satyamdas said:
It *is* way better. It starts up only one frame slower than Ryu's but recovers 5 frames faster. Akuma's walkspeed means he is in range a lot quicker than Ryu, and with his st. HK that you have to watch out for, and his cr. MP frame traps, his sweep is far more useful than Ryu's as a poke. The fact that people are even considering that Akuma doesn't have one of the best sweeps in the game is seriously boggling my mind right now. His sweep is top fucking tier without question.

Well that's my point, what makes Akuma's sweep so good is not just the sweep itself, it's the combination of his walk speed and other tools. And yeah it's much safer as you said. But if he wants a hard knockdown, his opponents need to be standing. That's one area that Ryu has covered. Lets just say, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Akuma's would trade his sweep for Ryu's more unsafe sweep so they can always get a guaranteed hard knockdown from jabs.

Axis

biosnake20 said:
Ryu's sweep is better than theirs for two reasons. First reason is that it starts up faster than all of theirs. Second is how comboable it is. He can combo his sweep off stand jab, crouch jab, and crouch strong. Chun and blanka cant combo theirs at all without counter hit and balrog can only combo it off stand jab. It is true that they are all less negative on block than ryu's, but thats it. They are only better in that one way. But even then, their sweeps are still punishable pretty easily as well. Balrogs is on par with ryu's but not blanka and chuns sweeps.

chun sweep range+AA ability make it really good imo

Satyamdas

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
Well that's my point, what makes Akuma's sweep so good is not just the sweep itself, it's the combination of his walk speed and other tools. And yeah it's much safer as you said. But if he wants a hard knockdown, his opponents need to be standing. That's one area that Ryu has covered. Lets just say, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Akuma's would trade his sweep for Ryu's more unsafe sweep so they can always get a guaranteed hard knockdown from jabs.
Akuma can already combo into sweep from jabs. I'm am teh derp.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
biosnake20 said:
Chun and blanka cant combo theirs at all without counter hit and balrog can only combo it off stand jab. It is true that they are all less negative on block than ryu's, but thats it.
c HP xx hk legs xx mk legs, sweep

Also, Chun's sweep has that godly hitbox. It's basically a poke and situational anti-air.

Axis

Hitokage said:
c HP xx hk legs xx mk legs, sweep

Also, Chun's sweep has that godly hitbox. It's basically a poke and situational anti-air.

shit is godlike against jumpy giefs who dont' know how to space their jumps out

Actually looking at it now, Cammy has a great sweep. There are a few ways to combo it, its not too slow on start up and its average on how negative on block it is.

Fosh

Neo Member
ughhh sweep tier list? Ryu has a good sweep lets just leave it at that. It definitely isnt one of the things that he needs buffed.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
biosnake20 said:
Actually looking at it now, Cammy has a great sweep. There are a few ways to combo it, its not too slow on start up and its average on how negative on block it is.
Are you judging all this solely on frame data? Hitboxes matter.

DRE Fei

cHaotix8 said:
That shit is 10 frames and doesnt reach anything
Yeah, Dudley in this game is trash compared to 3s. After playing that game, it almost made me want to quit Dudley in SF4 because of how bad they screwed him up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm talking about the sweep itself and only the sweep itself, not how it relates to combos. I guess it's good if you care about doing really unsafe 1 frame link combos.

Someone can jump on reaction to seeing the whiffed sweep and still land a jump in attack. Also, the animation is off on it, which is what pisses me off the most. It looks like your recovered and able to block way before you actually are. Ryu is actually low tier now, I don't think giving him less recovery on his sweep is going to make him OP. The changes I listed would make Ryu go back to B+ tier.

I am going to fucking fight you, Crapcom.

Also, Cammy's sweep blows.

-Timedoug

Fosh

Neo Member
Timedog said:
I'm talking about the sweep itself and only the sweep itself, not how it relates to combos. I guess it's good if you care about doing really unsafe 1 frame link combos.

Someone can jump on reaction to seeing the whiffed sweep and still land a jump in attack. Also, the animation is off on it, which is what pisses me off the most. It looks like your recovered and able to block way before you actually are. Ryu is actually low tier now, I don't think giving him less recovery on his sweep is going to make him OP. The changes I listed would make Ryu go back to B+ tier.

I am going to fucking fight you, Crapcom.

Also, Cammy's sweep blows.

-Timedoug

Its hardly fair to balance a game around the fact that a player is not confident about pulling off 1 frame links. There are several characters who have offense based on 1 frame links like Abel and Sakura.

Yeah cammys isnt that great i guess, but with plinking you should be able to combo into ryu's sweep 80 percent of the time. Its not really unsafe comco unless you cant plink.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
KidA Seven said:
I haven't seen any Kadey playing online gifs recently.

iw9z62wgCcPQF.gif

Been playing some third strike though. And dreaming about somebody. :)

Surprisingly there seems to be more people playing it at the moment. At least when it comes to GAFfers.

Top Bottom