• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

FindMyFarms said:
Biggest advantage ryu's sweep has over akuma's is he can hit confirm into it on a crouching opponent, whereas akuma can only do it to standing opponents, and he can only force stand on crouchers at point blank.

Yeah, that was my point I made earlier. Which Saty then quoted and tried to make me look like a moron without understanding the point, at least that's what I'm assuming. Ryu has a guaranteed combo into sweep, in any situation. Where as other characters like Akuma require there opponents to be standing. And that's why I said that I wouldn't be surprised if some if not most would trade his sweep for Ryu's so he can always strong/jab sweep a croucher. His vortex is his main game and if he hit confirms a croucher and has no meter for EX fireball he can't get the knockdown to start the vortex. Yes the trade off would be the fact that it's very unsafe, but it's not that hard to adjust to spacing it correctly most of the time.

Axis

Rice-Eater said:
Yeah, that was my point I made earlier. Which Saty then quoted and tried to make me look like a moron without understanding the point, at least that's what I'm assuming. Ryu has a guaranteed combo into sweep, in any situation. Where as other characters like Akuma require there opponents to be standing. And that's why I said that I wouldn't be surprised if some if not most would trade his sweep for Ryu's so he can always strong/jab sweep a croucher. His vortex is his main game and if he hit confirms a croucher and has no meter for EX fireball he can't get the knockdown to start the vortex. Yes the trade off would be the fact that it's very unsafe, but it's not that hard to adjust to spacing it correctly most of the time.

but akumas bnb can end with sweep; clp clp clp lk tatsu sweep, etc so he can pretty much guarantee an untechable in any situation as well

Axis said:
but akumas bnb can end with sweep; clp clp clp lk tatsu sweep, etc so he can pretty much guarantee an untechable in any situation as well

Opponent still needs to be standing for LK tatsu to hit.

Corky said:
No dawg, you fools still talking about sweeps :I?

I made a quick post before going to work. I come home like 9 hours later to see that Saty rag on me and probably misunderstand my post. I just wanted to clear that up before we move on to Kara's interview.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Rice-Eater said:
I made a quick post before going to work. I come home like 9 hours later to see that Saty rag on me and probably misunderstand my post. I just wanted to clear that up before we move on to Kara's interview.

Consider it understood, now gives up that interview. Nao.
Didi mau! Didi mau!

Number45

MIMIC said:
And speaking of trials, why didn't Capcom include trials for the new cast? :( I love doing trials! ;_;
This bugged the shit out of me when I first started up AE, I love trials too - even though I'm shit at them and most of them aren't feasible in practice. :(

USD

DryEyeRelief said:
karaface monsters
Karafacitis is a disease. Wash hair three times a day to alleviate symptoms.

headandshoulderslfbe.gif

You can tell I'm running out of GIF-able material, haha.

The Dragon Ball T-shirt Zhi is wearing is godlike. I want one.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
iw9z62wgCcPQF.gif

Been playing some third strike though. And dreaming about somebody. :)

Surprisingly there seems to be more people playing it at the moment. At least when it comes to GAFfers.

quit dreaming about me, just msg me...

also, kara is mah dude <3

Corky

Markman, where is my complimentary madcatz mlg pad? Haven't I suffered enough ?!

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
zlatko said:
The rest I'm not sure about, but the ones I put a no next to, all have better sweeps than Ryu.

Sweeps with 14 frame startup and sweeps that give free combo on block is better than ryu? Whatever you say chief

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Looking at it that way is pretty short-sighted, imo. Not saying I agree with everything on his list, but it's hard to really compare one sweep that's good at one thing to another sweep that might be good at something different.

Also, Ryu's sweep is one of the most punishable normal moves in the game, but that doesn't keep it from having pretty good uses.

Corky

Rentahamster said:
You still need to endure the trial of 2 dozen extra spicy KY buffalo wings.

Endure? I think you meant to say enjoy, sounds like bliss.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Lost Fragment said:
Looking at it that way is pretty short-sighted, imo. Not saying I agree with everything on his list, but it's hard to really compare one sweep that's good at one thing to another sweep that might be good at something different.

Also, Ryu's sweep is one of the most punishable normal moves in the game, but that doesn't keep it from having pretty good uses.

That's what i have been saying all along. Anyways enough about sweeps. Let's talk about neutral jumps. Chun cleary has the best, it attacks both ways! NO ITS HONDA HE CAN MOVE IN THA AIR!! But gief does crazy stun, it's the best!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
holdbrillanj said:
That's what i have been saying all along. Anyways enough about sweeps. Let's talk about neutral jumps. Chun cleary has the best, it attacks both ways! NO ITS HONDA HE CAN MOVE IN THA AIR!! But gief does crazy stun, it's the best!

RYU'S NEUTRAL JUMP MK HAVING NO BACK HITBOX WHEN IT'S THE SAME ANIMATION AS HIS JUMPING MK IS THE MOST INFURIATING THING EVER.

Ryu has the best cr. mp though. His cr. lp is very nice too. His st. hp, st. hk, and st. mp are very underutilized.

Satyamdas

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
Damn homie, sensitive much? o_O

I wasn't ragging on you, I was just disagreeing with you. People can do that without intending to make you out to be a moron, you know.

I just think Akuma players would prefer to keep Akuma's sweep because as it is right now they can dance in and out of sweep range and throw it out relatively safely, and they all do. Not a lot of characters can punish a -9 move from sweep range even with Ultra. A -14 move is a lot more punishable and so they'd have to be a lot more careful about throwing it out randomly, which is why you see Ryu players use their sweep as a poke far less often than Akuma.

So would Akuma players trade being able to combo into sweep on crouching characters for a much more punishable poke? I don't think so given that any Akuma worth his salt can open a character up in 37 different ways. Being able to sweep safely during footsies is a hell of a lot more useful than also being able to combo into sweep on crouchers.

Again, this is just my opinion, so please don't feel the need to break open a new kleenex box, Rice.

LProtag

At this rate with the power out it's going to be have been a whole week without any practice.

I'm going to have to go back to grinding execution again because I feel like I'll pick up the stick and have no idea what I'm doing, instead of the slight beginning feelings of familiarity I was developing.

InsertNameHere said:
At this rate with the power out it's going to be have been a whole week without any practice.

I'm going to have to go back to grinding execution again because I feel like I'll pick up the stick and have no idea what I'm doing, instead of the slight beginning feelings of familiarity I was developing.

with my schedule, I've been used to not being able to play for a long periods, almost every other week w/out practice. I have come to accept at this point that I will always be a scrub and not get any better. But I am happy that I can still understand the game enough to enjoy it when I have time to play.

Kioshen

BotoxAgent said:
with my schedule, I've been used to not being able to play for a long periods, almost every other week w/out practice. I have come to accept at this point that I will always be a scrub and not get any better. But I am happy that I can still understand the game enough to enjoy it when I have time to play.

Same thing here for me. It's still infuriating when you know what you need to do but can't execute it properly.

Corky

how many frames do you have as zangief when ending an spd motion upwards + button before he jumps and you fail the input?

USD

Corky said:
how many frames do you have as zangief when ending an spd motion upwards + button before he jumps and you fail the input?
I'm pretty sure Zangief has 6 pre-jump frames, so it should be that?

mr. puppy

Banned
I can't wait for Balrog to be top tier again, this patch is making every one of his bad matchups sooooo much better for him.

To bad Dirty Bull is still fucking useless though :(

zlatko

Banned
Tried to play for a few hours to try and get some practice in as Akuma and Cody online in Ranked, but I couldn't find games practically at all. I tried to do my usual hosting and I used to find games near insantly. Now? No one. I couldn't get more than 3 people to join in a span of 20 minutes, so I just gave up trying.

Searching for games was more or less a barren wasteland for me too. If I found someone they were orange bar or super out of my level gap since if I tried to pick same skill instead of any, it wouldn't find anyone.

Thank you SF3... your online is broken yet people would still rather play you and make SF4 a ghost town. :/

Hitokage said:
Final Showdown believe.

My first online match in SF4 was Zangief vs. Zangief.
My first online match in SSF4 was Adon vs. Adon.
My first online match in AE was Yun vs. Yun.

I wonder if I'll go 4/4 in mirrors once 2012 home edition drops.

Satyamdas said:
Damn homie, sensitive much? o_O

I wasn't ragging on you, I was just disagreeing with you. People can do that without intending to make you out to be a moron, you know.

I just think Akuma players would prefer to keep Akuma's sweep because as it is right now they can dance in and out of sweep range and throw it out relatively safely, and they all do. Not a lot of characters can punish a -9 move from sweep range even with Ultra. A -14 move is a lot more punishable and so they'd have to be a lot more careful about throwing it out randomly, which is why you see Ryu players use their sweep as a poke far less often than Akuma.

Doesn't Ryu's sweep have a lot more push back, though? I remember having trouble punishing his sweep often because of the push back even though the recovery was a lot longer (not saying it isn't punishable).

Satyamdas

Banned
prodystopian said:
Doesn't Ryu's sweep have a lot more push back, though? I remember having trouble punishing his sweep often because of the push back even though the recovery was a lot longer (not saying it isn't punishable).
It does have a bit more pushback, but having 14 frames of recovery means that it is still a lot more punishable than Akuma's. I think Akuma's not pushing back too far is also advantageous for him, since it is safer on block and he is still in range to keep pressuring.

Satyamdas said:
It does have a bit more pushback, but having 14 frames of recovery means that it is still a lot more punishable than Akuma's. I think Akuma's not pushing back too far is also advantageous for him, since it is safer on block and he is still in range to keep pressuring.

True. I just know I mess up punishing Ryu's because I misjudge the distance when it pushes me back unless it was a really close sweep. That's also because I don't play consistently enough, though.

Well Saty, I guess I'm just not use to your way of saying things when responding to someone. I get it now and we'll just leave it at that.

zlatko

Banned
Watched the first episode of Frame Trap and it was about damn time someone started up something like this.

Not sure what the best place to get haunts some feedback, but if he reads this maybe they could try to do their show like State of the Game over in the Starcraft 2 community. You could have the relaxed approach, cover the news going on, and then just bull shit around as well while people watch it live. They have it set up with 4-5 people on a skype call, and it's super entertaining to watch.

h3ro

Could anyone point me to a good Dhalsim tutorial for a beginner? I'd like to start playing him.

I know there are a few guys that main him here, Satyamdas and Art, any tips for a person just starting with him?

I feel like I'm teleporting too many times and relying way too much on jump back sniper. I'm connecting but the damage is really low and I end up getting blown up when I go in. I wish non-EX Up-Flame came out quicker as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
h3ro said:
Could anyone point me to a good Dhalsim tutorial for a beginner? I'd like to start playing him.

I know there are a few guys that main him here, Satyamdas and Art, any tips for a person just starting with him?

I feel like I'm teleporting too many times and relying way too much on jump back sniper. I'm connecting but the damage is really low and I end up getting blown up when I go in. I wish non-EX Up-Flame came out quicker as well.
That's your problem. Don't fight up close unless you know what you're doing.

Lotta Sim infos at SRK

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/dhalsim.15/

Use back mp or back hk or jumping strong to anti-air, and EX blast if those don't work. The other normal blasts are nigh useless.

Top Bottom