• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
zlatko said:
Watched the first episode of Frame Trap and it was about damn time someone started up something like this.

Not sure what the best place to get haunts some feedback, but if he reads this maybe they could try to do their show like State of the Game over in the Starcraft 2 community. You could have the relaxed approach, cover the news going on, and then just bull shit around as well while people watch it live. They have it set up with 4-5 people on a skype call, and it's super entertaining to watch.

thanks for the feedback. you can always just leave a comment on IPW.

Have a link to state of the game? would like to see the idea in action.

h3ro said:
Could anyone point me to a good Dhalsim tutorial for a beginner? I'd like to start playing him.

I know there are a few guys that main him here, Satyamdas and Art, any tips for a person just starting with him?

I feel like I'm teleporting too many times and relying way too much on jump back sniper. I'm connecting but the damage is really low and I end up getting blown up when I go in. I wish non-EX Up-Flame came out quicker as well.

Yeah, Renta mentioned this already, but stop doing this. I mean, sure, you can try to actively mount an offensive against your opponent, but it's hard and pointless given 'Sims design.

Poke around SRK's Dhalsim section a bit. It's not too big, so the info is pretty easy to digest. Be confident with your Anti-airs. If you let people jump in on your for free, then it's over. Get real aquanted with b+MK and b+HK. jumping MP is good for poking them out of the air, too. far st.MK and st.HK can be used to hit far jump-ins. EX blast is great. LK blast is ok as an AA. Definitely better than MK and HK blast.

Don't abuse teleport. Shit will get you killed fast. Use it sparingly to keep them guessing. If you have any specific matchup questions, shoot them our way. I don't want to create a giant wall of text for stuff you might already know

zlatko

Banned
haunts said:
thanks for the feedback. you can always just leave a comment on IPW.

Have a link to state of the game? would like to see the idea in action.

http://blip.tv/sotg/starcraft-2-state-of-the-game-ep47-5511237

They usually don't run for 2 hours and 20 minutes, so this was a bit longer. Generally they try to go for an hour and a halfish. You can go for whatever feels right for you guys if you go this route.

It starts at about 4 minutes 30 seconds.

h3ro

Rentahamster said:
That's your problem. Don't fight up close unless you know what you're doing.

Lotta Sim infos at SRK

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/dhalsim.15/

Use back mp or back hk or jumping strong to anti-air, and EX blast if those don't work. The other normal blasts are nigh useless.

the_log_ride said:
Yeah, Renta mentioned this already, but stop doing this. I mean, sure, you can try to actively mount an offensive against your opponent, but it's hard and pointless given 'Sims design.

Poke around SRK's Dhalsim section a bit. It's not too big, so the info is pretty easy to digest. Be confident with your Anti-airs. If you let people jump in on your for free, then it's over. Get real aquanted with b+MK and b+HK. jumping MP is good for poking them out of the air, too. far st.MK and st.HK can be used to hit far jump-ins. EX blast is great. LK blast is ok as an AA. Definitely better than MK and HK blast.

Don't abuse teleport. Shit will get you killed fast. Use it sparingly to keep them guessing. If you have any specific matchup questions, shoot them our way. I don't want to create a giant wall of text for stuff you might already know

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going through some threads on SRK now. I can't believe I never really tried playing Sim before, its fun as hell frustrating other players with the long range pokes.

I think I'm going in because I just don't have the timing and spacing on his normals down yet. I'm gonna work on using those AAs that you both recommended.

Quick question, which fireball should I be using in zoning/fireball wars with "jumpback then fireball" style players, I feel like using my EX is a waste of meter I could be saving for EX upflame for a good damage. I'm free to Guile players that spam Sonic booms.

Thanks again. <3 FGC-GAF.

h3ro said:
Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going through some threads on SRK now. I can't believe I never really tried playing Sim before, its fun as hell frustrating other players with the long range pokes.

I think I'm going in because I just don't have the timing and spacing on his normals down yet. I'm gonna work on using those AAs that you both recommended.

Quick question, which fireball should I be using in zoning/fireball wars with "jumpback then fireball" style players, I feel like using my EX is a waste of meter I could be saving for EX upflame for a good damage. I'm free to Guile players that spam Sonic booms.

Match their projectiles with yours, but don't go brainlessy throwing them out. Always keep your position in mind. If they keep jumping away and chucking fireballs, then so be it. Keep walking forward so they corner themselves. As for strength, it all depends, I haven't really given that much thought actually.

In the guile matchup, get used to playing that fireball war. It's totally a war of attrition. Get comfortable with getting around booms through sliding, yoga towering, and jumping over then cancelling into a drill to get back down on the ground.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
h3ro said:

from full screen, lp fire since it travels the furthest, but mix it up to confuse the guy into doing a bad jump in. Use EX fire to bait a jump in certain situations or to give yourself more room to breathe by taking advantage of the two hit block stun. mp and hp fire is good at closer distances because they are faster and they knock down.

If your opponent telegraphs his fireballs then just do an instant air teleport behind him when you anticiapte a fireball and then punish with j.fp b.mk l.yogaflame

Don't get too predictable with standing hp. Use mp and crouch mp to mix it up. Feint with crouch back hp and back lk to fake out your opponent.

Against guile, just play the fireball war as best you can, and move forward when it's safe. watch out for when he has meter to use EX boom. If he does a slow boom and walks forward, most scrubby Guile's will get hit if you do a hk slide. Once you get the lifelead, play lame and wait for him to jump in on you and then b.hk anti air.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Satyamdas said:
Damn homie, sensitive much? o_O

I wasn't ragging on you, I was just disagreeing with you. People can do that without intending to make you out to be a moron, you know.

I just think Akuma players would prefer to keep Akuma's sweep because as it is right now they can dance in and out of sweep range and throw it out relatively safely, and they all do. Not a lot of characters can punish a -9 move from sweep range even with Ultra. A -14 move is a lot more punishable and so they'd have to be a lot more careful about throwing it out randomly, which is why you see Ryu players use their sweep as a poke far less often than Akuma.

So would Akuma players trade being able to combo into sweep on crouching characters for a much more punishable poke? I don't think so given that any Akuma worth his salt can open a character up in 37 different ways. Being able to sweep safely during footsies is a hell of a lot more useful than also being able to combo into sweep on crouchers.

Again, this is just my opinion, so please don't feel the need to break open a new kleenex box, Rice.

I agree with everything that Saty has ever said unless it's regarding the Ryu-Dhalsim matchup.

Satyamdas

Banned
h3ro said:
Could anyone point me to a good Dhalsim tutorial for a beginner? I'd like to start playing him.

I know there are a few guys that main him here, Satyamdas and Art, any tips for a person just starting with him?

I feel like I'm teleporting too many times and relying way too much on jump back sniper. I'm connecting but the damage is really low and I end up getting blown up when I go in. I wish non-EX Up-Flame came out quicker as well.
Best overall advice I can give is to expect to struggle and lose a lot in the beginning, and to try not to get discouraged when you get rushed down and killed by Yuns and Vipers and Abels and you feel like you can't do anything. Eventually you will get better at positioning yourself and be able to stay alive longer and give yourself a better chance to win.

It's crucial to learn his different normals and how you need to use them in various situations. I notice with new Sim players there is a tendency to rely on st.HP and st.MK almost exclusively, but you really have to use every single normal and command normal with Sim to be effective against good players.

If you don't have b+MK xx LP Flame or Flame xx Super down yet, I would recommend spending a little time each time you play in training mode practicing that on both sides and getting the muscle memory down for that. It isn't the hardest combo in the game but it isn't the easiest either, and in a match you really need to be able to do it on command since it is one of very few ways for Sim to deal damage.

Make an effort to stand your ground and anti air with B+MP and B+HK because they are very good and they will frustrate your opponent into doing more unsafe stuff to get in. B+HK for far and medium ranges, and B+MP for when they are trying to cross up or are jumping from close range. If you use B+MP you can cancel that into a MP or HP fire which forces them to block as they land. If you are feeling fancy you can cancel it into a teleport and give yourself more space. EX Blast is good for things like Akuma's demon flips, where normal anti airs have a tendency to lose clean. Even if you trade using EX Flame, at least he isn't on top of you.

Teleporting in is tough to resist, because we all want to catch the opponent doing something and punish, but it is almost always a bad idea to get close to characters who can hurt Sim. If you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar, not only do you get hit out of your tele, but now the opponent is on top of you. Teleporting out of danger is also tough to resist because of how fragile Sim is, but again, good opponents will either be option selecting to make you pay, or they will be anticipating a teleport and will attack accordingly. It is almost always a better idea to stand your ground and just block as best you can.

Sniper is punishable on block or hit by a large portion of the cast. Some need Ultra to punish, some EX meter, some don't need any meter, so keep that in mind.

Don't need meter:
El Fuerte
Guy
Viper
Blanka
Ibuki
Rog (Ultra also)

Need EX meter and/or Ultra:
Deejay
Dudley
Honda
Hakan
Yun (EX + Ultra)
Yang (EX + Ultra)
Vega (EX + Ultra)
Makoto (EX + Ultra)
Bison (EX + Ultra)
Sagat (EX + Ultra)
Abel (Ultra only)
Adon (Ultra only)
Akuma (Ultra/Super only)
Rose (Ultra/Super only)
Gen (Ultra/Super only)

That's off the top of my head and while I might be missing a few, that is still a lot of punishment for a little potential damage in return, and that is when the sniper is mid screen and max distance. If you do it too close or whiff it even more stuff can punish, and if you do it too close to your own corner then the whole cast can punish heavily. On top of that, focusing the sniper and dashing forward to punish heavily works as well. So sniper *really* needs to be used sparingly. I've been playing Sim for 2+ years and I still abuse sniper and get blown up for it, so I know that feel bro. :*(

The problem is that people know Sim doesn't want to come close, so if they get a life lead or just want to turtle on you then you don't have any options to open them up besides sniper.

Know your one (weak) option select. Against dive kicks on your wakeup, use db. lp+lk+mp. If they come in to throw you will tech it, and if they dive kick your db.mp will come out and sometimes
rarely :*(
stuff it. It isn't much, but that and EX Blast are all we've got against dive kicks. :(

image.php

Time space?
Blame dog?

Blame dog.

Imm0rt4l

I don't understand, at the end of the video it asked for capcom to give her chains, but chains are not special cancellable.

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
Tell that to Dudley or Yun!
Ok I think I see what I'm misunderstanding, what you're talking about are chain combos right? you can special cancel those, but can't special cancel chains.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
How 2 Dhalsim:
-Fireballs and st.hps at full screen
-st.mp and df.lp at mid range
-Mash b.lk and slide into fireball at close range
-b.hk/slide under when people jump at you
-50/50 mixups when you have ultra

Congratulations. You are now a pro Dhalsim player.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Lost Fragment said:
How 2 Dhalsim:

Tee-hee.

Satyamdas

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
How 2 Dhalsim:

CiTLP.gif

Imm0rt4l said:
Ok I think I see what I'm misunderstanding, what you're talking about are chain combos right? you can special cancel those, but can't special cancel chains.
Psyduck.jpg

I didn't know there was a difference

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Edgeward said:
Street Fighter 4 Piano Arrange -ChocoBlanka Ver.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRenmEo8Yh0

Oh Choco. <3
<3

Lost Fragment said:
How 2 Dhalsim:

Yep, that about covers it. Time to win some tourneys.

:)

h3ro

Thanks so much for the post, Saty and thanks to all the guys that posted Sim tips, again, greatly appreciated.

I spent some time in the training room today and I was able to hit the flame xx super fairly consistently but I was having real trouble with b.mk into lp flame.

Perhaps it's my technique, but I'm starting with the lever held back when I hit MK, and immediately start a half circle forward and hit LP for the fireball. I get the moves out but they don't combo. Any tips?

Nyoro SF

h3ro said:
Thanks so much for the post, Saty and thanks to all the guys that posted Sim tips, again, greatly appreciated.

I spent some time in the training room today and I was able to hit the flame xx super fairly consistently but I was having real trouble with b.mk into lp flame.

Perhaps it's my technique, but I'm starting with the lever held back when I hit MK, and immediately start a half circle forward and hit LP for the fireball. I get the moves out but they don't combo. Any tips?

LP Flame is a HCB. So program your fingers for holding back on the joystick, hitting MK, then snapping the joystick to forward and rolling it all the way to back.

I got used to the motion pretty quickly. It's a good thing you don't really need combos to win with Dhalsim, though they'll help immensely in close range punishing scenarios.

The hardest thing I had to learn for Dhalsim was the Instant Air Teleport. I could never get that down.

Satyamdas

Banned
h3ro said:

Perhaps it's my technique, but I'm starting with the lever held back when I hit MK, and immediately start a half circle forward and hit LP for the fireball . I get the moves out but they don't combo. Any tips?
You don't want to do the fireball, B+MK only combos with LP and EX Flame.

Flame is half circle backward + P.

Start with the lever back as you press MK, then immediately go to forward and do a half circle back then press LP. As long as you get to down-back before you press LP the flame will come out. And there is a shortcut you might try: Forward then straight to down-back + P.

5 inputs shortened to 2, and the flame will still come out. Personally I avoid the shortcut because I don't want to rely on it and because the actual motion is not difficult once you get it down. But maybe in the beginning you can try it just to get the timing of the motion + button presses down.

A good way to practice is to break it down into small sections. Like just go from back, to forward and half circle back + P. Do that a bunch of times, then add the MK to the beginning. The combo is tricky because although the timing is tight, you actually have more time than you think. It is real easy to press LP too early and have no flame come out at all.

Just keep practicing and you'll get it down eventually.

AZ Greg

Lost Fragment said:
How 2 Dhalsim:

Accurate and straight to the point. Bravo.

Saty has to be having writers remorse now.

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
Psyduck.jpg

I didn't know there was a difference
Yea, like for example as Gouken I can do st. lp, st. lp,st.lk, st. lk, cr. lk which is a 5 hit combo, however I can't cancel the cr. lk into tatsu even though you normally can raw.

Lost Fragment said:
How 2 Dhalsim:

Yo, I ain't mad at this.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How to Zangief :

- I don't know :( , someone? Anyone?

edit : errr yoo, steam just downloaded a 40mb patch for AE. The hell? Anybody know what it did?

N4Us

Jump a lot and mash 360 on impact.

Throw out random running bear grabs if your opponent is bad.

Kill yourself if you fight Dhalsim.

(I mained Gief in Vanilla don't blame me)

USD

So today is the start of Fighter X Shooter, a collaboration between Focus Fire and Keats. As the fighting side of things, there's AE, MvC3, MK, and 3S OE. The overall setup looks similar to UFGT7, which was also run by Keits, with both character auction tournaments and the mystery tournament returning. Friday is more of a casual day, focused on the special tourneys (like character auction). Saturday and Sunday is when the real action starts.

As for who will be there, I'm not sure. It's a Midwest tournament, so I wouldn't expect huge names to show up. But hey, it's something to watch.

The first tournament for today is scheduled for 2PM CDT (one hour behind EDT, two ahead of PST). You always check out the SRK thread for more info.

Fighter stream: http://www.twitch.tv/focusfirefighters

Shooter stream: http://www.twitch.tv/focusfirefeed

vulva

Corky said:
How to Zangief :

- I don't know :( , someone? Anyone?

edit : errr yoo, steam just downloaded a 40mb patch for AE. The hell? Anybody know what it did?
• Support added for a wider range of arcade sticks

Many arcade sticks that previously would not be recognized should now be recognized (again, no guarantees your exact stick/pad is covered but there's a lot more natively supported than before).

• Fixed a bug that caused just the stick inputs (left / right / up / down) to not be recognized

• Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause extra lag/slowdowns in Endless Battle mode

• Fixed a bug with the controller mappings not always saving, especially when adding / removing controllers

• Fixed a bug that would allow players to go online with incorrect benchmark scores, which could affect match making

Top Bottom