• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

cHaotix8

I don't understand how you guys have Cody Makoto in Mak's favor. He out footsies her and can shut her down on offense. It's 5-5 at the worst.

Cody has EX Criminal upper to deal with command grabs/throws and EX Zonk to deal with anything that isn't a safejump/dive kick. With three bars of meter he can get out of most situations, just like Dudley/Ibuki. The only bad thing about Zonk is that you have to charge it but the payoff for having that is being able to punish derpy stuff instantly like Balrog dash punches and Bison Scissor kicks. Even then, it recovers faster than almost any other reversal, so if someone does a DP at the same time you do Zonk you can hit them with a fat combo or ultra.

Cody gets bodied by divekick characters, Gief and Guile. Everyone else he has good enough footsies and OS's to be able to at least keep it competitive against a good portion of the cast. The biggest problem with the character is that most players never use him to his fullest potential.

Cody has two main problems. First is obviously his wake up and even with the AE2012 buffs its still mediocre. His second problem is his mobility. Its hard for him to both get it on an opponent and run away from them. The only thing he has is the good dash. But he has a very slow walkspeed, his ex slide is shitty because it isnt projectile invincible from the start, and his crack kick doesnt count as airborne so that sucks. Once he gets in he's a beast no doubt, but half the game for him is trying to get it. And obviously once he gets knocked down its basically like playing dhalsim lol.

Also heres a cool 3s character combo vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2VIEGd68hQ&feature=player_embedded

Sblargh

Banned
Everytime I play Cody, whenever I win or lose, I get the feeling I played a scrub. It's training in fundamentals. "Do you know how to block a cross-up?" "Do you know how to get in without mindless jumping?"

rivals

biosnake20 said:
Oh sweet, does anyone know if oni"s 2012 changes are a big deal or not? I know nothing about him.

Also do we have any good fei players on xbla gaf? Lots of cody players say its in fei's advantage but i disagree. Its feels even to me. Or maybe i havent played enough good fei's.

I'm not really good, but I do play Fei! I don't know the Cody matchup at all but I haven't struggled against most of the Cody's I've played (because they've been awful). Hit me up if you want to get some matches in, my gt is r1vls.

Levi

Banned
Man, you guys know a lot about Street Fighter.

Anyone care to give me a brief rundown on Cammy? I have been working on her lately and I can win a decent amount online against non-Shotos just with her EX-Spiral Arrow and Cannon Spike. Not sure what to do against heavy fireball pressure besides FADC and try to get in close so I can rush down with her basic links ending in Cannon Spike.

I've only ever really been a Ken player but since AE I've been trying to learn ner characters, Yun is a ton of fun, as is Adon, but I've had the most success online with Cammy. I'm not interested in tier-lists (at my level of play that doesn't matter), I am interested in what the higher-level players consider are her best tools and what parts of her game I should be working on.

El Sloth

Banned
cackhyena said:
Are you guys on PC AE more nowadays? Is it worth it to pick it up on Amazon for 20?
There are a few 360 expats who play mostly on PC now. They say that competition is lacking though.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
zlatko said:
I meant in the sense that when you do an untechable knock down on say Ken, he can still mash a DP when he stands up. It'd be nice if Cody could have that too, because Bingo doesn't cut it.
That sort of limitation is exactly what makes Street Fighter great. The battle for position is more important and the value of strategic decision-making is further emphasized when characters don't have a clear answer for every circumstance. As the number of tools and options increase for characters, it goes from situational 50/50s that you have to work to obtain to a near-constant, brain-dead rock/paper/scissors/knife/gun/grenade/chainsaw guessing game.

The best iterations of Street Fighter are the ones that tend to embrace limits, rather than try to eliminate them.

zlatko

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
That sort of limitation is exactly what makes Street Fighter great. The battle for position is more important and the value of strategic decision-making is further emphasized when characters don't have a clear answer for every circumstance. As the number of tools and options increase for characters, it goes from situational 50/50s that you have to work to obtain to a near-constant, brain-dead rock/paper/scissors/knife/gun/grenade/chainsaw guessing game.

The best iterations of Street Fighter are the ones that tend to embrace limits, rather than try to eliminate them.

675b88.jpg

Agree to disagree I guess.

cHaotix8

biosnake20 said:
Cody has two main problems. First is obviously his wake up and even with the AE2012 buffs its still mediocre. His second problem is his mobility. Its hard for him to both get it on an opponent and run away from them. The only thing he has is the good dash. But he has a very slow walkspeed, his ex slide is shitty because it isnt projectile invincible from the start, and his crack kick doesnt count as airborne so that sucks. Once he gets in he's a beast no doubt, but half the game for him is trying to get it. And obviously once he gets knocked down its basically like playing dhalsim lol.

Also heres a cool 3s character combo vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2VIEGd68hQ&feature=player_embedded
Cody has a way to get in, its called footsies and his are really good. He can whiff punish a good portion of the cast with low short xx mk ruffian and counterhit a lot of limbs with towards mp for a hit confirm into a knockdown. He cqn punish almost any fireball on reaction with zonk and has some of the beat anti airs in the game. Dude is way better than people give him credit for.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
zlatko said:
Speaking of tier lists for random shit, who has the best focus attack and who has the worst?

Oni's focus is so ass. :/

Rufus' FA hitbox hits behind him
I like seths FA

Fosh

Neo Member
zlatko said:
Speaking of tier lists for random shit, who has the best focus attack and who has the worst?

Oni's focus is so ass. :/

Chun has the best lvl 1 FA for sure. I would say that Fei probably has the best focus attack in general.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Chun is highest frame advantage after a FADC

Fei probably has the fastest focus

Fuerte has the best range?

Seth is the safest if he wiffs it and the opponent jumps

Sagat has the best AA focus attack

Viper has the worst. Slow, crap range and mediocre dash

Hakan probably has the best LVL1 cause he can combo after it

Eryu has the best looking

Kai

Anybody wanna hop on? I can start a room.. I may put-on the headsets - I really need advice on how to get better with ken...

Specifically using option selects, anti-air and combos... I would love some advice.

Axis

i'm considering starting a fantasy football league for sf-gaf...would we have 10-12 people who'd actively play? D:

if you'd be interested just pm me

zoku88

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do those MadCatz PS3 sticks also work for PCs? Like, naturally or with the MotionJoy driver? I've noticed that I'm really bad with the direction buttons on the keyboard and controller, for some reason. Or maybe I don't input the P or K buttons at the right time? I seem to suck at pulling off any move that isn't a half circle.

I'm pretty new to this game, but it's fun so far.

Edgeward

Anything made after the Chun Li Stick, so things like the MVC3, Chun Li and new SFxT sticks should work fine with no problems on PC. The other ones are finicky and dependent on your chipset. I know my old TE-S stick work be detected on PC.

The reason why I dont think cody is that good is one main reason, his walk speed. Cody's main gameplay is basically rushing that shit down and staying close. And yes his footsies are good but theyre hurt greatly because of his shitty walk speed. Now because his walk speed got buffed in 2012 he should be godlike right? No, because from the videos ive seen the walk speed buff is almost non existent. Its basically unnoticeable. Juri's walk speed was much bigger than cody's and some juri players still complain about hers not getting increased enough. I agree with you cHaotix8 in saying that most people arent playing cody to his full potential and than hes not bottom tier. But people like sasaki are playing him to his full potential and even then he's losing to people because of his shitty walkspeed. Those footsies dont work when your that slow. And even though he has a fast and long reaching forward dash, its not that safe to do in footsie distance because it takes him so long to recover from it.

Corky

The Take Out Bandit said:
Good games last night guys.

Seth?

Seriously? Who uses Seth? Second worst character ever.

Juri is still #1

:I

mbmonk

zoku88 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do those MadCatz PS3 sticks also work for PCs? Like, naturally or with the MotionJoy driver? I've noticed that I'm really bad with the direction buttons on the keyboard and controller, for some reason. Or maybe I don't input the P or K buttons at the right time? I seem to suck at pulling off any move that isn't a half circle.

I'm pretty new to this game, but it's fun so far.

Normally they do work with the PC. If you have an Nvidia based motherboard ( Normally identified by the 'NForce' name) there is a chance it will not work. If you are unlucky, such as I was, you can by a cheap USB PCI card (using the VIA chipset) install it in your PC and plug the joystick into that card.

I think I got my card off Amazon for $6. So it's pretty minor and cheap to fix if you do have an issue.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Timedog's Definitive Sweep Tier List:

S tier:
Chun
Balrog
Gouken
El Fuerte

A tier:
Dee Jay
Akuma
C. Viper
Rufus

B+ tier:
Tony Hawk
Edmond Honda
Dudley
Makoto (cr. hp)
Cody
Fei Long
Adon
Blanka

B- tier:
Ryu
Ibuki
Seth
Gen
Juri
M. Bison
Sagat
Cammy
Rose
Yang
Evil Ryu
Zangief

C tier:
Dan
Sakura
Oni
Yun
Dhalsim
Abel
Vega

D tier:
Guy
Hakan
Guile

Lol at Adon, fei, cody, makoto, dudley, honda, hawk, rufus and viper all having better sweeps than ryu. Really? REALLY?

Ryu's sweep should be in the A-tier at least, but probably in the S-tier.

Corky said:

I'm racist against Swiss Army Boss Characters.

Remember the time when Capcom and SNK made bosses with completely unique move sets and not lifted moves with some unique specials and supers?

Those were the glory days.

Sega and Namco ruined the fighting boss gene pool with their weak ass boss characters.

I dream of a world where fighting games have sub bosses again and unique end bosses. :3

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
biosnake20 said:
Lol at Adon, fei, cody, makoto, dudley, honda, hawk, rufus and viper all having better sweeps than ryu. Really? REALLY?

Ryu's sweep should be in the A-tier at least, but probably in the S-tier.
It's one of the most punishable normals in the entire game.

Corky said:
lol at blanka being so low as well :p
Pretty easily punishable.

Jo-El

I want to start playing SSFIV casually online. Should I pick up AE or do I not really need it? I'm not sure how much I'm going to play, so I figure it would be best for me to pick up the non-AE since it's less than half the price.

Jo-El said:
I want to start playing SSFIV casually online. Should I pick up AE or do I not really need it? I'm not sure how much I'm going to play, so I figure it would be best for me to pick up the non-AE since it's less than half the price.
Pick up vanilla SFIV instead, it's even cheaper.

Timedog said:
It's one of the most punishable normals in the entire game.
It doesn't change the fact that you can combo into it very easily, its starts up in 5 frames, and it has a good hitbox. Yea its punishable but that doesn't instantly make it mediocre. Oh yea and T.Hawks is as punishable or more even more punishable but its somehow better than ryu's.

SmokeMaxX

Timedog said:
Pretty easily punishable.
Balrog's sweep- 8 frame startup, -6 on block, S Tier.
Blanka's sweep- 6 frame startup, -7 on block, B- Tier.

...Really?

EDIT: And for future reference
Chun's sweep- 7 frame startup, -5 on block, S Tier.

zlatko

Banned
Jo-El said:
Okay. Thanks!

Honestly, get AE. If you have the PC that can run it, you can get it on Amazon for 20 bucks brand new right now for PC.

The giant majority of players are on AE right now, with maybe like 5-10% of the player base didn't adopt SSF4. Odds are finding matches will be a pain in the ass.

Go with AE. You could buy Super used, then buy the AE DLC for 15 bucks online. Definitely the best way to go if you want to get the most bang for your buck online. :)

Corky

virtuoso88 said:
How the heck is Honda's 14 frame sweep and shitty hitbox in the B+ tier? I'd rather have any other sweep over Honda's.

I think we all fell for Trolldougs trap

Satyamdas

Banned
WTF @ recommending the guy vanilla or Super. He specifically said he is looking to get into playing the game online. AE is what people are playing. Get AE for your preferred platform, dude.

Top Bottom