• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Jo-El

zlatko said:
Honestly, get AE. If you have the PC that can run it, you can get it on Amazon for 20 bucks brand new right now for PC.

The giant majority of players are on AE right now, with maybe like 5-10% of the player base didn't adopt SSF4. Odds are finding matches will be a pain in the ass.

Go with AE. You could buy Super used, then buy the AE DLC for 15 bucks online. Definitely the best way to go if you want to get the most bang for your buck online. :)

Satyamdas said:
WTF @ recommending the guy vanilla or Super. He specifically said he is looking to get into playing the game online. AE is what people are playing. Get AE for your preferred platform, dude.
Thanks guys. I'll grab AE then :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Corky said:
You mean punishable like Bisons? :I
Oh that sucks that you did a highly punishable move but you're over half a screen away and I can't get there in tim....OH SHIT EXCEPT I HAVE A SWEEP THAT TRAVELS RIDICULOUSLY FAR AND CAN BE FADC'ED OUT OF.

virtuoso88 said:
How the heck is Honda's 14 frame sweep and shitty hitbox in the B+ tier? I'd rather have any other sweep over Honda's.
Honda's is near unpunishable, didn't know it was 14 frames startup. Will look at frame data for all sweeps and then readjust rankings.

If anyone else has any grievances let me know, cause once it's finalized this is going to be the de facto tournament standard Sweep Tier Ranking. Let me know.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Timedog said:
Oh that sucks that you did a highly punishable move but you're over half a screen away and I can't get there in tim....OH SHIT EXCEPT I HAVE A SWEEP THAT TRAVELS RIDICULOUSLY FAR AND CAN BE FADC'ED OUT OF.

Honda's is near unpunishable, didn't know it was 14 frames startup. Will look at frame data for all sweeps and then readjust rankings.

If anyone else has any grievances let me know, cause once it's finalized this is going to be the de facto tournament standard Sweep Tier Ranking. Let me know.

You. Me. 10pm eastern. Let's do this shit.

The new Definitive NeoGaf Sweep Tier list:

S tier:
Chun
Gouken
Akuma
Balrog

A tier:
Dee Jay
Ryu
Ken
El Fuerte
Makoto

B+ tier:
Fei Long
Adon
Blanka
Gen
Ibuki
Juri

B- tier:
Sakura
Cody
Evil Ryu
Abel
Rose
C.Viper
T.Hawk
Cammy
Zangief
Dudley

C tier:
Yang
Seth
Sagat
M. Bison
Oni
Yun
Rufus
Vega
Guile

D tier:
Hakan
Dan
Dhalsim
Honda

Your feedback is appreciated.

Edgeward

Well, that wasnt the main point since i used T Worst. But it's been on my mind for quite a while after losing to Cloudius so many times and still not knowing whyhe is low tier

USD

Edgeward said:
Well, that wasnt the main point since i used T Worst. But it's been on my mind for quite a while after losing to Cloudius so many times and still not knowing whyhe is low tier
Just joking lol.

Honestly I don't know how to fight Gen, doesn't help that I suck at the game either. I try to out-footsie him, but he has pretty good footsies, so that might not always be an option. Haven't fought that many Gens in AE either.

Edgeward

In all seriousness, fuck Gen. Everytime i see someone pick Gen I know I'm in for a lot of trouble because no one ever just picks him for the hell of it. And some of his cross ups are dirty as fuck. And those bicycle kicks, safe as soon as he touches ground.

And yes i got bodied by him again. Now im mad. lol

Gaspode_T

Can someone explain what is needed to rank up to C? Is it a certain # of wins versus losses? (in other words, should I practice a lot with characters before doing ranked matches or is it fine to just lose a bunch while getting better)

I've been playing mostly Ibuki because she's fun to play. Some Blanka guy trying to troll electricity last night and Ibuki's EX sliding neck twist move gets right through that garbage LOL

SmokeMaxX

biosnake20 said:
The new Definitive NeoGaf Sweep Tier list:

S tier:
Akuma

A tier:
Ken
Gen

B+ tier:
Blanka

Akuma- 6 frame startup; -9 on block
Ken- 7 frame startup; -7 on block
Gen- 8 frame startup; -7 on block
Blanka- 6 frame startup, -7 on block

Blanka's sweep isn't vital to his game since he isn't likely to combo into it very much, but it's very, very good- especially for the type of character he is where opponents want to press buttons. It leads to a lot of counterhit sweeps. He also has df fierce which is really good (and annoying).

zoku88

Thanks for the help about the sticks.

Btw, I was trying to do Sakura's trials. I think I'm stuck on Trial 10, the one where you Jump + HP, Stand + MP, Hadouken, and then something. I have trouble pulling off the Hadouken in time to make it part of the combo. Any tips?

Gaspode_T said:
Can someone explain what is needed to rank up to C? Is it a certain # of wins versus losses? (in other words, should I practice a lot with characters before doing ranked matches or is it fine to just lose a bunch while getting better)

I've been playing mostly Ibuki because she's fun to play. Some Blanka guy trying to troll electricity last night and Ibuki's EX sliding neck twist move gets right through that garbage LOL
C rank is 1000 BP

SmokeMaxX said:
Akuma- 6 frame startup; -9 on block
Ken- 7 frame startup; -7 on block
Gen- 8 frame startup; -7 on block
Blanka- 6 frame startup, -7 on block

Blanka's sweep isn't vital to his game since he isn't likely to combo into it very much, but it's very, very good- especially for the type of character he is where opponents want to press buttons. It leads to a lot of counterhit sweeps. He also has df fierce which is really good (and annoying).

nvm im an idiot

biosnake20 said:
Gen's crane stance sweep is better and the one i put into the tier list. Its a whopping -16 on block but it starts up in 5 frames and has a good hitbox on it.
He has no sweep in Crane stance.

Fosh

Neo Member
USD said:
Just joking lol.

Honestly I don't know how to fight Gen, doesn't help that I suck at the game either. I try to out-footsie him, but he has pretty good footsies, so that might not always be an option. Haven't fought that many Gens in AE either.

He is pretty free on wake-up since they took away invincible ex oga. His waterfall kicks dont hit during invincible frames so you can OS them or meaty trade

Timedog said:
Fuck off, biosnake. You suck at Street Fighter.
Gootecks_and_Mike_Ross-(n1302259501490).png

How is M Bisons Sweep so low on the list? Yeah it has ass recovery, but it is the longest of all of them which can be a good surprise and it is FADC-able to safety from most moves. It also is relatively safe if you hit at the end of the animation. Should be B

biosnake20 said:
880,000 WTF? Thats ten times as much evo viewers.

I don't think that's simultaneous viewers. I think that's unique viewers. For example in the press release EVO had over 2 milllion unique viewers. Gods Garden was a great tournament with arguably the best talent in the world of SF4, but there is no way I believe they had 880k viewers simultaneously.

MIMIC

Banned
Edgeward said:
In all seriousness, fuck Gen. Everytime i see someone pick Gen I know I'm in for a lot of trouble because no one ever just picks him for the hell of it. And some of his cross ups are dirty as fuck. And those bicycle kicks, safe as soon as he touches ground.

And yes i got bodied by him again. Now im mad. lol

Rules for Gen: If he jumps at you, it's ALWAYS going to cross you up =p

A tier:
Dee Jay
Ryu
Ken
El Fuerte
Makoto

Fuerte's sweep is debatable. It's only amazing if you know how to time it properly.

Also, Makoto's sweep is my favorite by far. It's like a fuckin leg chop. lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah I do thoroughly love Makotos sweep, well... not when I'm playing against her :I

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
biosnake20 said:
http://arch.413chan.net/Gootecks_and_Mike_Ross-(n1302259501490).png/IMG][/QUOTE]
09'er, 09'er, 09'er...Hope you don't have to play me at a tournament...I will go hardbody on your shit like this is an 80's Jazzercise video. I've got a lot of mayonnaise that I've been saving up for a long, long time. I'll spread it right in between your buttcheeks. I'll make you awesome.

Love,
The SF player you wish you were

Amazing, my win rate has sky rocketed since I've started doing the "Poongko mix up" with Seth. It's so braindead I'm kind of digusted actually. But when I look at my win rate and it's actually above 50 with him now, I guess I'm ok with it afterall.

zoku88

Nyoro SF said:
Thanks for that. Does he move the joystick for the hadouken while doing the standing mp? I'm a noob. Do you not have to wait for the previous move to finish in order to start the directional inputs for the next?

Also, are sweeps moves that take you across the screen? Like makoto's d+ df+ f p move? Where do you learn this terminology?

Noaloha

The fireball motion is performed as the MP is happening, yeah. Medium punch into fireball is a 'special cancel', which means that the recovery animation of the normal (the punch) can be interrupted by the fireball animation so that they all flow togethr - this makes them combo. Consider then that you need to complete your fireball motion (you need to do your quarter-circle and press the P button) before the animation of the medium punch is complete (remember, you're cancelling the tail-end of your punch animation so that it goes straight into the special move. Your motion would be press medium punch, immediately hit down on the stick and follow through to forward, hitting the punch button once you get there. (If you want, also try pressing medium punch *and holding it down*, do your quarter-circle forward and then release the button. This is a thing called negative edge, where the release of a button is allowed by thye game system to count as an input. I'm not a fan of negative edging myself but some get good things out of it.

A 'sweep' is (for most of the cast) the normal move which comes out when you do a crouching HK. (The character will 'sweep' the legs from under the opponent.) A defining characteristic of a sweep is that it causes an 'untechable knockdown'. Do you know how, when you get knocked over, you can tap a button (or down on the stick) and the character will quick-rise if you timed it correctly? That's teching the knock-down -- you can't do this when you've been hit by a sweep (and throws and certain other attacks), hence 'untechable knock-down'. The advantage of untechable knockdowns are so that you can set up and time your follow-up pressure perfectly (they will always rise at the same moment and give you a few vital frames to adjust your relative position), resulting in such delightful game tactics as safe-jumps, vortexes and other okizeme tomfoolery.

zlatko

Banned
You guys need to think a little more about those sweeps. Like where Abel is. You realize he can CANCEL his sweep into a roll right? I think he can cancel it into axe kick and change of direction as well. Those options there bump it up a good notch from what you have it at. Plus it has long ass reach to boot.

As for Gen the mystery man I can spill some of the beans about him. First off he WANTS to play footsies with you. He has some of the best footsies in this game. To add to that you don't know what his block strings are, so if you get into footsies with him he can crack you open without issues.

When he's trying to play footsies he's faster in Crane stance on walk speed... like a lot, and some of his pokes reach far. If you don't know which stance he is in check what his body is doing when he's still for a second. Crane he's on one foot, Mantis he has his hands in front of him all piercing like.

Bad Gen's will just go off the wall a ton, and all you have to do against that is block high, and then punish. Good Gen's rarely use going off the wall, but if they do they'll want to do it after a knock down. When you are doing gen's bicycle kick in mantis, you can switch to crane during the hits and start charging, so the second you both land, he can go off the wall and fuck you up if you don't know what to do.

Ultra 2 hits full screen against fireballs. Ultra 1 combos from super, and can anti air if in crane stance. There's also a super tricky reset that catches most people online who have never played against Gens where he can do the Super, and instead of going straight to ultra, he just does a short kick to reset you and goes straight into ultra as you are hopping back to the ground, so that the ultra hits you as a cross up. You eat a shit ton of damage this way.

The easiest way to beat Gen is to go pure rush down on him, and just assume if you knock him down and he has 1 bar he's going to do ex up kicks. His defense is non existent so bop him non stop.

Oh, and if you DO get hit by an off the wall kick, and he DOES NOT follow up with bicycle kicks, and instead opts to reset you to the ground, then you are either about to get hit over head or be sweeped.

I think that covers some basic shit to deal with ass Gen's online.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Gaspode_T said:
I have an episode of this game TV show that had a whole episode dedicated to EVO (it was mostly covering Kayo Sato's entry - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/08/is-this-the-first-competitive-gamer-to-endorse-a-laxative/ ) I wonder if folks would be interested to see it, it has some interesting footage of a bunch of the Japanese pro players sitting in Kayo's hotel room until the middle of the night helping 'her' practice and get ready

Post it up! I want to see. Someone told me they recognized me in some of the show...

Edgeward

Thanks for the pointers, Zlatko. I'll keep them in mind next time I run into Gen's online.

zoku88 said:
Thanks for that. Does he move the joystick for the hadouken while doing the standing mp? I'm a noob. Do you not have to wait for the previous move to finish in order to start the directional inputs for the next?

Also, are sweeps moves that take you across the screen? Like makoto's d+ df+ f p move? Where do you learn this terminology?

You do the motion after activating the standing MP. Meaning as soon as you hit mp and the move is coming out do your next motion so you can buffer it. You do not have to wait for the animation to end to input directional commands, only button presses.

Sweeps are moves that knock you off your feet and give a hard knockdown, meaning you can't quick rise/get up faster so people can time their jump ins after to be safe. The SweepGAF tier list is in reference to every characters cr RH.

http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html

This will cover some terms but not all, especially the meme terms are definitely not covered. But it should help.

Top Bottom