• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DR2K said:
Makoto is a joke character.
Honestly, on paper and when you first start feeling the character out, she feels so nerfed, but I've been absolutely wrecked by some really impressive Makotos that knew all of her little touches and huge combos.

I get the feeling she's going to have a Gamerbee vs Wong moment where someone shows everyone up with Makoto, and people will take another look.

DR2K said:
Major differences.

Nerfed = Makoto, Geif, and Sagat. Total shells of their former selves.

Buffed = Rose, Vega, and Chun.

Everyone else are more or less slightly better or slightly worse.

Adding another "WAT?!" to this. Sure, they scaled back his damage a bit (something that happened to the majority of the cast, if I remember right), and he's down to 1,100 health now, but he's hardly a shell of his former self. You can still play him similarly to how he was played in Vanilla, and put the fear of the Red Cyclone into people's souls. The only people who could say that he's a shell of his former self are flowchart Giefs who spend every second of every round lariating. Seriously, nerfed to a shell of his former self? Really?

Myomoto

LakeEarth said:
I'd say scrubby Zangief's have been nerfed. Lariat is easier and less risky to punish, plus he has 100 points less health.

Damage in general has been decreased across most characters. While he did loose 100 health, you can't directly compare that to his state in vanilla.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well seems like I will be attending some tournament qualifiers here in Puerto Rico. A first. I'll make sure to beat Eduardo and hang his head somewhere. Bwahahaha. :lol

Relix said:
Well seems like I will be attending some tournament qualifiers here in Puerto Rico. A first. I'll make sure to beat Eduardo and hang his head somewhere. Bwahahaha. :lol

good luck man

Chun owns Rog! :)

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Honestly, on paper and when you first start feeling the character out, she feels so nerfed, but I've been absolutely wrecked by some really impressive Makotos that knew all of her little touches and huge combos.

I get the feeling she's going to have a Gamerbee vs Wong moment where someone shows everyone up with Makoto, and people will take another look.

Much like Adon, we know what's in there with Makoto already (just look up V-Ryu on YouTube). Doesn't mean anyone will believe she's worth the trouble, unless you think of 5-minute long bandwagons as actual interest.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BotoxAgent said:
good luck man

Chun owns Rog! :)

I gotta remind me to turtle in this match up :lol :lol Last night I fought Joseph's shitty Balrog (lolz) that only rushed me and my competitive side wanted to rush back and I lost badly all 3 matches :lol

At least his Bison is free! o.o!

Gotta check the exact dates for it though, I am sure its in a few weeks. There are lots of high level players here in PR so I am looking forward to it

Did PR Rog recently get an XBOX or something. Because I remember playing someone with the Gamertag PR Balrog a month ago. At the time, he had about 500 BP/ 500PP. Two weeks later, I check the leaderboards, and he's at 5000+ PP and 12,000+ BP.

Edit: Aw hecks naw.

DR2K

Banned
Axelhortsemchi said:
Adding another "WAT?!" to this. Sure, they scaled back his damage a bit (something that happened to the majority of the cast, if I remember right), and he's down to 1,100 health now, but he's hardly a shell of his former self. You can still play him similarly to how he was played in Vanilla, and put the fear of the Red Cyclone into people's souls. The only people who could say that he's a shell of his former self are flowchart Giefs who spend every second of every round lariating. Seriously, nerfed to a shell of his former self? Really?

All his specials were nerfed. Health reduction. Lariot isn't godly anymore, which made for a bunch of lopsided match ups. Ultra damage nerfed, considerably. He's still good, I just think he was much better. Besides Sagat, on paper he did get some of the more significant nerfs.

DR2K said:
All his specials were nerfed. Health reduction. Lariot isn't godly anymore, which made for a bunch of lopsided match ups. Ultra damage nerfed, considerably. He's still good, I just think he was much better. Besides Sagat, on paper he did get some of the more significant nerfs.

I'll give the specials being nerfed, although I still recall the vast majority of the cast getting damage nerfs as well, which makes him being reduced to 1,100 health more of a necessity than a nerf. The lack of godliness in the lariat isn't that big of a deal either, as if you were banking on its crazy hit box to win as Gief anyway, you're doing it wrong. I would like you to name one matchup where a decent Gief has to approach it completely differently because of the changes to his lariat. Yeah, his ultra has been nerfed, but that goes with the earlier damage nerfs. He still has one of the harder hitting ultras in the game, and if he had the only ultra that did 600 damage, he'd be a bit broken. It was another case of necessity. Yeah, Gief is technically worse than he was in Vanilla, but in the context of Super, he's not much worse off, and to say he's a shell of his former self is hyperbole in the extreme.

XenoRaven

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What changed with Chun-Li? She still feels the same from SF4.

I love new Guile, though.
Some slightly more specific changes. New Ultra obviously, st mp is better somehow (not sure what they did to it), EX Legs damage nerfed. Can't think of anything else right now.

XenoRaven said:
Some slightly more specific changes. New Ultra obviously, st mp is better somehow (not sure what they did to it), EX Legs damage nerfed. Can't think of anything else right now.
df.LK became pretty amazing

XenoRaven

_dementia said:
df.LK became pretty amazing
I forot about that (as usual). Good thing it doesn't work against dive kicks!

Also I remember reading something about how non-EX SBK doesn't fly over crouching opponents anymore. I haven't tested it, but if true...hooray?

SmokeMaxX

Axelhortsemchi said:
I'll give the specials being nerfed, although I still recall the vast majority of the cast getting damage nerfs as well, which makes him being reduced to 1,100 health more of a necessity than a nerf. The lack of godliness in the lariat isn't that big of a deal either, as if you were banking on its crazy hit box to win as Gief anyway, you're doing it wrong. I would like you to name one matchup where a decent Gief has to approach it completely differently because of the changes to his lariat. Yeah, his ultra has been nerfed, but that goes with the earlier damage nerfs. He still has one of the harder hitting ultras in the game, and if he had the only ultra that did 600 damage, he'd be a bit broken. It was another case of necessity. Yeah, Gief is technically worse than he was in Vanilla, but in the context of Super, he's not much worse off, and to say he's a shell of his former self is hyperbole in the extreme.

Gief is a lot worse than in Vanilla. Even if ALL that changed was that he couldn't short jump anymore, that is already a significant nerf. As it is now, ANY missed lariat is super easy to punish on block/whiff (since the hitbox is shifted significantly up).

Gief's already hard to play at high level. He didn't need to be nerfed (except for damage reduction). I don't even like playing against Gief either.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The fact of the matter is you still have to say away from him. Unless you can rush him down it means nothing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Morro! said:
Ranked match -> Custom Search -> Same Skill

Problem solved.

Ranked is the devil

This. I don't play Ranked because I don't like having to play ranked matches/hatemail from people with their heads up their asses because they win.

Playing with PS3 GAF is more relaxing. I need to drag Razor back into online so I can practice Akuma more. At least he's nearly my skill level, unlike most of PS3 GAF that absolutely destroy me. :lol

SmokeMaxX said:
Gief is a lot worse than in Vanilla. Even if ALL that changed was that he couldn't short jump anymore, that is already a significant nerf. As it is now, ANY missed lariat is super easy to punish on block/whiff (since the hitbox is shifted significantly up).

Gief's already hard to play at high level. He didn't need to be nerfed (except for damage reduction). I don't even like playing against Gief either.

Gief's short jump is still in the game, dude. I wasn't sure after reading your post, but I just went into training mode and tested it. It's subtle, maybe not as noticeable as it was in Vanilla, but it's still there. As for the lariat, that's pretty much how it should be. It has its uses as a combo ender, an AA, a means to avoid fireballs, and a punish for some moves. If you're throwing it out there and whiffing or getting blocked, you deserve to get punished, same principle as wildly throwing shoryukens.

Kadey, you pretty much summed up the point I'm trying to make. He doesn't play much different than he did in Vanilla, and for the most part, his alterations don't really affect his matchups or how people have to approach him.

Threi said:

:lol

hertog

XenoRaven said:
He wasn't removed from the game.

yeah got me there :)

But seriously, I didn't play SF4 a lot. But I'm mostly using Blanka right now on SSF4 and just wanted to know if he got better or worse.

My secondary character Vega has gotten A lot better, even I noticed that since the last game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
XenoRaven said:
He wasn't removed from the game.
wrm6pd.png

Myomoto

DryEyeRelief said:
Until today, I didn't know that Dan has tears rolling down his face whenever he experiences crumple stun.

a lot of detail in this game.

He's got tears down his face whenever he's hit, I believe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmmm... seems I'm able to pull off moves half-more consistently by having my thumb in the middle of the D-pad. Weird. It's not very comfortable for me, though. :/

How bad are the madcats SF4 Sega Saturn-style pads? I've been looking at them, but apparently they're shoddy as hell? The D-pad dies? (Ick)

No, I don't want an $100+ fighting stick just to play maybe Blazblue and SS4 with. :|

He's got tears down his face whenever he's hit, I believe.

Yeah, which is pretty funny. :lol

Blanka is fun to fight with Dudley because all of the flowchart tactics are easily punishable with machinegun blows, etc.
They usually don't understand what's going on and continue :lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
EraldoCoil said:
Confirmation please....

Jag tooth, rising jag is a 1 frame link correct?
depends on the angle I think. Like, if you land on the other side after the toof (mad fucked up) you can take a toilet break before rising up in my experience, and if you hit them real deep you also have a bit more time than 1 frame. Then again, with Adon the rule is: when in doubt, 1 frame. so maybe?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Everyone was ganging up on me tonight :lol :lol

Missing links left and right too... crap. Had to eat something, will be back later. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom