• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AkumaHokoru said:
I wouldnt mind but that juri is from 3 revisions ago.

Let's fight soon then, I want another set of matches with you later on if that's alright. I won't turtle though, that's only for tourney matches and the like. So it's gonna be rush rush rush like you prefer. Unless you kick my ass too much. =P

I wanna fight Akuma, too! I'm not as good at fighting Juri as I thought, I need more power!

I won't stop until I have the best Dudley and Fei Long on GAF, and then the world.

explodet

I'd want to claim the best Hakan, but Panda and I bet even bob can beat me at oilin' up peeps.
Whatever, I don't necessarily play him to win, he's the most fun I've had with a fighting game character since Lightan in TvC.

XenoRaven

explodet said:
I'd want to claim the best Hakan, but Panda and I bet even bob can beat me at oilin' up peeps.
Whatever, I don't necessarily play him to win, he's the most fun I've had with a fighting game character since Lightan in TvC.
Wasn't TvC like the last or one of the last fighting game releases before Super? "I haven't had this much fun with a fighting game character in six months!"

gutabo

Threi said:
@ Gutabo: Issues at home. I'm pretty sure that's been a bigger contributor to my SF Rage lately than me sucking with FreeJay
Man, don't rage. It's easier said than done, but remember that first of all, you're playing to have fun. Good luck with those issues at home, I had some of those and still have to fix some stuff around here.

Threi said:
Honda is awesome btw, I would use him as an alt (seems like most honda players pick up DeeJay as an alt, dunno why) but I can't do the jab to hands thing
Hey, it's not hard, you just have to find the way that works for you.

I started using a mix of methods. Besides the 13213 piano, I learned the 12123 and 12323 slides. At first I couldn't get them to work so I tapped 1, then 2, then slide from 1 to 3. With the kicks I did the same, pressing 1(LP)+LK or MK, 2, then the 123 slide. Later with the kicks, I used 32123 slides using my NAIL to slide better, like an inverted "kirby" hand(think spider man's hands), pressing the kick with my thumb and using the nail of my middle finger to slide.

If you don't feel 100% sure with a method, switch to any other method, any time, in the end you'll get them all. Hands are worth it, man!

Hello Gaffers. I am trying to do Balrogs (boxer) trials. I noticed on #14 you have to do cr.lp, s.mk then a dash low smash. How do you keep a charge after needing to stand up?

Thank you.

gutabo

Adam Prime said:
shit, I've been playing on my girlfriend's plasma 40in TV these past couple of days... and my execution has seemed like shit online. I swear, it's not doing what I'm inputting. I want to blame input lag or something, but I'm sure the truest reality is that I'm just sucking ass.

Grrrwar. Is there really a noticeable difference in playing on certain TVs? I know at tournaments they're anal about that sort of thing.
It's not about being anal. Try to play Guitar Hero(on Expert) on a plasma tv with noticeable lag after practicing a long time on a tv with no lag and you won't find it fun at all, maybe even unplayable. And that's at your house, not at a tourney.

Also a game like the latest guitar hero or rock band(with lag calibration)is a way to find out how laggy that tv is.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
leveling up my Adon like a motherfucker today. Even managed to fist fuck a Guile with my timedog-level corner game. feels good man

explodet

XenoRaven said:
Wasn't TvC like the last or one of the last fighting game releases before Super? "I haven't had this much fun with a fighting game character in six months!"
Yeah, but he was the first char I could think of, otherwise I'd have to go back to SFIII and Elena, and my only memories of that game was getting my ass beat in the arcade by, well, just about anybody.

God's Beard said:
I wanna fight Akuma, too! I'm not as good at fighting Juri as I thought, I need more power!

I won't stop until I have the best Dudley and Fei Long on GAF, and then the world.

Well I'll make a lobby tonight

Honda is my favorite to use against Akuma.. the damage rating is too hilarious on him

I don't even care when I trade hits, the damage trades works in my favor

teleporting Akumas are hilarious when you predict when they are going to do them.

hitsugi

gutter_trash said:
Honda is my favorite to use against Akuma.. the damage rating is too hilarious on him

I don't even care when I trade hits, the damage trades works in my favor

teleporting Akumas are hilarious when you predict when they are going to do them.

Yeah being able to neutral j.fierce just about anything Akuma does until he manages a knock down must be nice.

gutabo

Honda-Akuma is not that easy, specially akumas that know the matchup and good vortex users. Still, you're right, it's REALLY fun to LOOK AT THE DAMAGE!!!

Degen said:
Best Hawk scoffs at Akuma and his futile attempts to run away from my Best Command Throw

yo, when I was playing a T.Hawk one night against my Cammy....he initiated his ultra when I was already in my cannon spike animation startup and he still grabbed me :lol

2San

ExMachina said:
Thanks, yeah I figured I needed to do the shoryuken the traditional way anyhow(for ibuki's hien and tsujigoe). Is there an explenation why the shortcut doesn't work(I do the df, d, df one btw) for those skills. Or are my hands just retarded?

Labombadog said:
Hello Gaffers. I am trying to do Balrogs (boxer) trials. I noticed on #14 you have to do cr.lp, s.mk then a dash low smash. How do you keep a charge after needing to stand up?

Thank you.

EDIT: beaten by a mile...

Imm0rt4l

I was reading a thread on srk and it surprises me to see people still want a guard crush option in super street fighter 4, that shit wouldn't work without retooling half the cast so they don't have to block and tech constantly, ssf4's too slow for that shit. As a Gouken player guard crush would be stupid against bad matchups like balrog, bison, dudley and especially cammy since I have no viable reversal or way to escape pressure.

Gyrian

God's Beard said:
I won't stop until I have the best Dudley on GAF

Best of luck getting through Floyd. :x

Thanks everyone that participated and helped with our second PSN Mini-Tourney.
Next one is tentatively set for August 22nd. 16 players, double elimination.

Think about what you would like to see. Feedback most welcome.

Two thoughts:
- We could run it 'on demand', as players arrive.
- Looking into match recording. I want the entire tourney in youtube afterwards.
Please contact me if you already have this capability and would like to volunteer it.

So many great fights have happened in the two Tourneys. You can feel the tension.
Having something at stake, no matter how small, takes them a different course from what we see every night in late night GAF.

micrometaru.gif

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Imm0rt4l said:
I was reading a thread on srk and it surprises me to see people still want a guard crush option in super street fighter 4, that shit wouldn't work without retooling half the cast so they don't have to block and tech constantly, ssf4's too slow for that shit. As a Gouken player guard crush would be stupid against bad matchups like balrog, bison, dudley and especially cammy since I have no viable reversal or way to escape pressure.

Most of the people whining about that are doing it because they want to beat scrubs mindlessly. That's why so many mid-tier "vets" hate on SF4 series to me.

I'm not saying SSF4 is perfect, because it isn't, and I've complained about many a thing myself, but the game is pretty damn good, and possibly the best SF ever.

gutabo

Gyrian said:

Two thoughts:
- Looking into match recording. I want the entire tourney in youtube afterwards.
Please contact me if you already have this capability and would like to volunteer it.

So many great fights have happened in the two Tourneys. You can feel the tension.
Having something at stake, no matter how small, takes them a different course from what we see every night in late night GAF.

micrometaru.gif
Hey Gyrian, I have borrowed a PS3, can I join your tourney?

vocab

Imm0rt4l said:

It's because this game doesn't reward offense at all. If there was a guard crush, people wouldn't be able to block all day. I think SSFIV has many other problems though aside from implementing a guard bar.

Imm0rt4l

arstal said:
Most of the people whining about that are doing it because they want to beat scrubs mindlessly. That's why so many mid-tier "vets" hate on SF4 series to me.

I'm not saying SSF4 is perfect, because it isn't, and I've complained about many a thing myself, but the game is pretty damn good, and possibly the best SF ever.

yea and doing this would make the tiers so much more obvious in which characters are viable and not, making it a 3 character game like 3s instead of the 35 that are in super. SSF4 is balanced really well relatively speaking, it could be better but guard crushin isn't fixing anything, though I do believe there should be some tools in effect to make the divide between scrub and arcade aristocrats more apparent.

vocab said:
It's because this game doesn't reward offense at all. If there was a guard crush, people wouldn't be able to block all day. I think SSFIV has many other problems though aside from implementing a guard bar.

yea I agree, problem is some characters can only block in some situations. ie: characters without a 3 frame reversal against unrelenting offense like that of vanilla sagats tk strings. The game should be more offensive, but they'd have to change the game drastically me thinks.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Threi said:
I find it funny that one of his buffs (a fixed df. hk) isn't even used by anyone.

Easy to understand, holding down front on a charge character is counter intuitive + it really removes charge options. DF hk is too unreliable as anti air... if you miss you open yourself to a devastating combo...

SSF4 is pretty balanced IMO. It ain't perfect obviously, but it's good. I think putting in a guard crush is a bad idea as well. Blocking is a viable skill that a lot of people don't have. I don't think in a game paced such as Super would be a good choice. Gief vs Sim/Seth would be more terrible that it is. A lot of move attributes would have to be changed.

I was just reading an Alpha 3 thread (A3 has a guard break) on SRK, a point was being made about when you know you are about to be guard crushed, so you take the major counter on purpose (by doing a move you know will get counter hitted), so you can flip out so you would get VC'd. These are interesting dynamics, but I wouldn't want to see them in Super. Maybe if capcom does another spin off with a faster pace (not marvel3).

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Blocking is a viable skill that a lot of people don't have..

yeah, 90% of the flowcharters I play online absolutely don't block and insist on mashing reversal on every blockstring, ugh! Playing Guy has actually made me a better blocker :)

Gyrian said:
You bet.
Send me a FR in PSN, and I'll send you an invite to the chat where everyone gathers. :]

micrometaru.gif
I'm sure all the regs are in again as well...

Me, Floyd, Seph, Gib, Panda, You, etc....

damn....this is the regulars tournament plus a few extras....haha

<3

I'm sending Floyd to the losers again, then I'm gonna send seph to losers and let them take out eachother....

BELIEVE THAT!!!!!

No more third place finishes....

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
vocab said:

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say that it rewards offense as much as defense, whereas other fighters go all out to reward offense, which allows them to curbstomp scrubs.

The problem with SSFIV offense is that it requires more execution in comparison to defense- which could be solved by revamping the controls and adding in a Blazblue-style input buffer for links.

AZ Greg

Relix's Chun is free for Sim. :D

And you should run some XBL ranbats, Relix. Kadey is busy with her scrub tourney and her ranbats are a couple of months away. Plus it sounded like she wanted to go a different route than traditional ranbats.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
vocab said:

Check floyd or Seph offence, blockstring and combos. Just learn to mix throws, overheads, focus attacks, dash ins, fadc... Their offence is extremely good. Offence is only bad when you lack execution and miss strings like no tomorow. Otherwise offence is where this game is at!

If it was made different with this engine then it would suck terribly... it would be a constant blockstring hell or a combo fiesta. Play blazblue if you want endless combos ;p

ggs to Hitokage and Joekage last night. There was some pretty crazy pixel matches. :lol

Gyrian said:

Two thoughts:

micrometaru.gif

Thanks for hosting, Gyrian.

one problem I see with the 16 players double elimination: (for me anyway)
- the 8 man took about 2 hours to finish, i'll imagine 16 would take about 4-5 hours. I won't be able to even stay that long for the duration of the whole tourney.

About the recording, I could do it but with that amount of videos it would take a lot of time with compressing and uploading(my internet suck ass). I don't even have most of the matches lol.

Labombadog said:

Thank you.

Hmmm, I think my Ryu is going to eat your Balrog.

Axis

AZ Greg said:
Relix's Chun is free for Sim. :D

And you should run some XBL ranbats, Relix. Kadey is busy with her scrub tourney and her ranbats are a couple of months away. Plus it sounded like she wanted to go a different route than traditional ranbats.

you wanna get some games in later, greg? sim/vega give me way too many problems...saty bodies me haha but it's getting closer lately

Gyrian

SephirothRK said:
The 8 man took about 2 hours to finish, i'll imagine 16 would take about 4-5 hours. I won't be able to even stay that long for the duration of the whole tourney.

I've been thinking about this, and a couple of ideas to help it come to mind right away.
- As I mentioned above, maybe we don't need to run the Tourney in 'real-time'. It could take place over the weekend, say, after a given hour.
- Since we'll be running it entirely in endless battles, we can run more than one fight at once.

There's a few negatives with each of those, but still, something to think about.

SephirothRK said:
About the recording, I could do it but with that amount of videos it would take a lot of time with compressing and uploading(my internet suck ass). I don't even have most of the matches lol.

I've played very little with the replay channel in the game.
Maybe it's feasible to gather up all the replays under one account that everyone can visit?
We could always record a highlights video from this to post here.

micrometaru.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom