• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Joekage said:
....hate this game. going to sleep.

9PhID.gif

Joekage

Lost Fragment said:

My one sweet victory from this is that Ono saw this and NERF lit up in his mind.

Can't have a previous console only character being able to beat the golden child of Street Fighter.

Arcade Edition, let's do it.

KajunW

A match of three faces:

- Even though it was close in the beginning, Daigo really had Sako beat with DP'ing cannon strikes consistently (6-1);
- Some close comebacks by Sako (crucial arrows/supers/ultras through fireballs), he started to read Daigo really well, and Daigo was absolutely stunned through quite some time (8-6 to Sako);
- Daigo eventually regained his composure, but it was too late, as they split games in the final four matches. I thought that double KO moment was crucial for Sako, as it kept a potential momentum shift out.

Truly awesome ending!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Only watched the last few matches but enough to know Daigo got blown up. Air cannon strike owns Daigo. He ate three of them in the last round that ended up leading to big combos. Against Sako, you can't do that. Just block. It wasn't a crossup or anything. :lol

14k viewers. EVO numbers. I'm pretty impressed.

I have to give it to Sako for representing Team NAH.

It must be Kokujin, a lot of times he's like "shoryu ho ho ho" in that funny voice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ntropy said:
Ono praises Sako and then will proceed to nerf his Cammy.

Ono should nerf everybody!

Ultras to win for everyone!

And take out Dee Jay!
Still mad at Threi for pushing Razor into Dee Jay's camp

I'm kidding about the nerfs, of course.

14K viewers, wow. :( too bad I missed it.

Man, this is a crazy tournament. Can't wait for Sako vs. Mago.

And the loser's is going to be ridiculous also. We might (big might) have a runback of Sako/Daigo.

I wonder if this will affect Daigo mentally going into SB5?

And will Ricky Ortiz be able to avenge his loss at Evo, since he's the big dog on the West right now with his win yesterday?

Just finished watching the replay. The matches were so good. Not surprised 14K people tuning in. If they play these matches during good hours in North America, I wouldn't be surprised if they got 20K.

Not sure what happened when Sako ran off 7 straight wins. It seems like Daigo just lost focus or took the match for granted when he was dominating. Sako is a straight baller. I hope we see a rematch.

LTTP, farmer man.

We were going back and forth about Valle being old and feeble on the last page.

And Daigo's come close. Mago's come close. The only winners have been Uryo, Tokido and Sako (online).

I'm watching the Daigo/Sako match right now. It was pretty boring the first seven games.

Not sure if Daigo chocked or was tired from his earlier match with Momochi. Wondered how come he had to fight twice. Weird tournament format. But at least he gets another shot. And no one can say he doesn't no the matchup anymore.

Glad they're nerfing the runaway hurricane and the SA/TKCS.

Cammy and Sako are a torrential downpour of rain, sleet mixed in with lightning and thunder. So overwhelming. I wonder if Mago can take a 10-game set. Do you guys think he'll be using U2 for Fei?

Oh ok I gotcha spider.

On Cammy divekick nerf, I always thought it was ironic that so many people call SF4 a turtley game, but then said people also want offensive tools toned down.

FindMyFarms said:
On Cammy divekick nerf, I always thought it was ironic that so many people call SF4 a turtley game, but then said people also want offensive tools toned down.

You should check out the footage (if level-up/gootecks archived it). Vangief beating J.Wong. The return of Combofiend's Abel (since he's mostly been using Guy). Old Man Valle styling on these youngins and coming close to vanquishing Ricky Ortiz (Ricky has gotten the best of him since last year's Norcal Regionals).

And honestly in regards to Cammy, it takes some skill to tcks endlessly like a spazzed out crackhead (and integrate the footsies and combos Sako does). It also takes a lot of skill to stop it.

I just get annoyed by the dive-kick shenanigans (yun, yang, rufus, cammy).

"On Cammy divekick nerf, I always thought it was ironic that so many people call SF4 a turtley game, but then said people also want offensive tools toned down."

Not only do I like it turtley, I am all for offensive tools being toned down. EFF YEAH.

XenoRaven

Probably because no one likes having to turtle while other characters get free offense from a variable jump in.

Not saying I agree or disagree by the way. Just not the most sound argument.

vissione

Banned
But all that time I spent getting TKCS down is wasted. Think of the children and the cammy scrubs. :( Will they change her trials too? :lol

XenoRaven said:
Probably because no one likes having to turtle while other characters get free offense from a variable jump in.

Not saying I agree or disagree by the way. Just not the most sound argument.

That's pretty a pretty matchup specific advantage for Cammy. By no means does she get that across the board vs. the whole cast, or even a majority of the cast for that matter.

Aside from that, what argument are you quoting? I'm just citing player contradicting player sentiments. Lots of peeps say the game is too turtley and offense is bad, you can't attack, get mashed out of everything, etc. etc. then the same players want offensive tools removed. Obviously they're not the smartest of the bunch, but I was just noting the irony.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
You should check out the footage (if level-up/gootecks archived it). Vangief beating J.Wong. The return of Combofiend's Abel (since he's mostly been using Guy). Old Man Valle styling on these youngins and coming close to vanquishing Ricky Ortiz (Ricky has gotten the best of him since last year's Norcal Regionals).

And honestly in regards to Cammy, it takes some skill to tcks endlessly like a spazzed out crackhead (and integrate the footsies and combos Sako does). It also takes a lot of skill to stop it.

I just get annoyed by the dive-kick shenanigans (yun, yang, rufus, cammy).

It takes skill, but is it the kind of skill you really want to encourage?

I'm surprised Capcom took it out personally.

If Capcom really wanted to improve offense, they'd make linking easier and get rid of FADC on reversals. I don't think having a defensive game is necessarily bad, and I don't think it's as much SFIV being overdefensive as other games being overoffensive.

arstal said:
It takes skill, but is it the kind of skill you really want to encourage?
To be honest if you're a dedicated Cammy player it doesn't really take any skill to do TKCS, it's just muscle memory you gain after practicing repetitions.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
To be honest if you're a dedicated Cammy player it doesn't really take any skill to do TKCS, it's just muscle memory you gain after practicing repetitions.

it's not something I'd be able to do, so it must take some skill. If it was truly skill-less I could do it.

arstal said:
it's not something I'd be able to do, so it must take some skill. If it was truly skill-less I could do it.

Well it's obviously not something you pick up right away, kind of how like doing a Shoryuken consistently takes practice for a first time player, the same applies to dive kick. But once you get it down, it's easy.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
Well it's obviously not something you pick up right away, kind of how like doing a Shoryuken consistently takes practice for a first time player, the same applies to dive kick. But once you get it down, it's easy.

It took me 3 years to learn how to do a Shoryuken in the arcades. Somehow despite this, I still managed to get decent win streaks.

XenoRaven

Poor choice of words on my part then. I meant it's not really ironic if only 2 or 3 characters can be all over you and everyone else in the cast has to turtle if they don't have a good dp or escape.

XenoRaven said:
Poor choice of words on my part then. I meant it's not really ironic if only 2 or 3 characters can be all over you and everyone else in the cast has to turtle if they don't have a good dp or escape.

2 or 3 characters can be all over who? And the rest of the cast has to turtle vs. who? Don't get those 2 statements. Also a lot of the cast has great offense.

Also if you're talking chun vs. cammy, you can backdash out of her divekick mixups, which is an even BETTER answer than DP if you're not cornered (yeah I know that's a pretty big if haha) but Chun does have the pokes to keep cammy out. Matchup is in cammy's favor, but it's not a slaughterhouse by any means.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Season's Beatings 5v5 exhibition:

EG Justin Wong / Arturo Sanchez / Mike Ross / EG Marn / DMG Eduardo "PR Balrog"
vs.
Daigo Umehara / Momochi / Choco Blanka / Gamerbee / Starnab

I'll be rooting for team international but I think USA will take this. Choco Blanka is a great player but she's by far the weakest out of the 10 and puts team international at a handicap. Arturo counters Daigo and who wins that match is a toss-up. Mike Ross is a great counter for Gamerbee, who struggles fighting Hondas.

SnowWolf said:

vs.

I'll be rooting for team international but I think USA will take this. Choco Blanka is a great player but she's by far the weakest out of the 10 and puts team international at a handicap. Arturo counters Daigo and who wins that match is a toss-up. Mike Ross is a great counter for Gamerbee, who struggles fighting Hondas.

EG Justin Wong / Starnab
Arturo Sanchez / Daigo Umehara
Mike Ross / Gamerbee
EG Marn / Momochi
DMG Eduardo "PR Balrog" / Choco Blanka

If it goes like this, US wins. If Sanchez gets knocked out by Starnab or Justin gets knocked out by Daigo or Gamerbee, it'll be rough. Same if Marn takes himself out before he fights Momochi.

SnowWolf said:

vs.

I previously heard that Eduardo wouldn't be able to make SB5. Good to see that has changed. He's my favorite rog player.

hitsugi

FindMyFarms said:

..he doesn't want to practice.

I'm sorry Arstal, but making links easier will not make the game more offensive. If you want to do those links, you put in a little time and you learn. Capcom's been making things easier for years now, and hell, they DID make links easier in SF4 with plinking.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
hitsugi said:
..he doesn't want to practice.

I'm sorry Arstal, but making links easier will not make the game more offensive. If you want to do those links, you put in a little time and you learn. Capcom's been making things easier for years now, and hell, they DID make links easier in SF4 with plinking.

It would, at least at mid-level. People would be more likely to do meaties and offense on wake-up.

It's also not a little time for most people, and that time grinding (and yes, it's just as bad as MMO grind), is time you could be spent enjoying gameplay. It's just bad design, and no amount of justifying will change that.

Capcom gets no credit for plink, it's something players would not discover on their own. If they really cared they would take plink out and give everyone that extra frame for free.
(odds are they can't take plink out, their control system is that messed up- see all the option selects to boot)

ntropy

Imm0rt4l said:
Meh...Ono isn't the battle director

Is it conclusive that the nerfs from the loc tests are going to be in the final? Haven't really been following ssf lately.
nothing conclusive. who knows what will stick.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I'm so out of the Street Fighter tourney loop for months now, I miss watching these fight live, and Daigo lost even, 7 straight? Damn.

Gotta stay on this thread or SRK to catch the next one live, especially since it was 14k viewers watching - shit must have been hype...

God's Beard said:
EG Justin Wong / Starnab
Arturo Sanchez / Daigo Umehara
Mike Ross / Gamerbee
EG Marn / Momochi
DMG Eduardo "PR Balrog" / Choco Blanka

If it goes like this, US wins. If Sanchez gets knocked out by Starnab or Justin gets knocked out by Daigo or Gamerbee, it'll be rough. Same if Marn takes himself out before he fights Momochi.

I was just about to say, Marn has to watch out for himself most of all for getting knocked out of the tourney... :lol

And I dunno, I can see Team International taking this as long as Momochi doesn't go Ken again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gonna watch the Sako vs Daigo fights now to see wtf the fuzz is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom