• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

Rice-Eater said:
The point is to use it against standing opponents. You know all those times Ryu players would do cr. LP, cr. LP, st. LP, cr. HK? Now we can end it with st. MP, Tatsu or something like that. There is a bit of extra damage involved and well, at least it's something different looking combo to use against people and make them think "what, I didn't know that was possible?".

More options is better so I'll just agree.

SmokeMaxX said:
Lol... You're calling me an idiot? Cr. MK is active for ONE MORE FRAME than St. mp right now.
Let me quote the changelog for you "- Less active frames on c.MK"
But let's assume the translation was rough and they shave off just one frame from c. MK.
Cr. mk is still WORSE than it was ORIGINALLY which is what I said. In addition, that means st. mp is active for at least as long as cr. mk is. Which makes it very handy. You say st. mp whiffs on certain crouchers? What about the ones it actually works on? Sometimes the best tools in a matchup aren't ones that are useful in other matchups. Anyone who used their brain a little would know that. Guess I shouldn't expect too much from you though.

As for you, your level of intelligence is beginning to irritate me. Why do you think no wonder bothers to use S.mp? It's not a good poke that's why. In a footsies game [see Daigo or any decent ryu] you won't use S.mp ANYWAYS unless they change its priority. Simply making it special cancelable doesn't make it better.

Boxer:
- Near version s.MP's damage is slightly decreased. It now forces stand, and is special cancel-able
- Far version s.LP whiffs on all crouchers
- Buffalo Head now has more ground recovery frames + damage is decreased

- U2 motion changed from 720P to HCBx2

Shiiiiiiiit. The already nerfed the headbutt dmg from SF4 -> SSF4. If far jab doesn't hit now at all on crouchers, then they should make the overhead -> c.lk work on all instead.

Friendly costume release reminder.

10/26/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Hakan, Makoto, Guy, Dudley, DeeJay
11/02/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Dan
11/16/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Chun-Li, C. Viper, Sakura, Rose, Cammy
12/21/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Juri, Ibuki, Cody, Adon, T.Hawk
01/18/11 $4/320Microsoft Points - Zangief, E.Honda, Rufus, Abel, El Fuerte
02/15/11 $4/320Microsoft Points - Vega, Sagat, Balrog, Bison, Seth
03/15/11 $4/320Microsoft Points - Guile, Blanka, Dhalsim, Fei Long, Gen
04/26/11 $18/1,440Microsoft Points - All Characters

SmokeMaxX

Solune said:
More options is better so I'll just agree.

As for you, your level of intelligence is beginning to irritate me. Why do you think no wonder bothers to use S.mp? It's not a good poke that's why. In a footsies game [see Daigo or any decent ryu] you won't use S.mp ANYWAYS unless they change its priority. Simply making it special cancelable doesn't make it better.
Are you kidding me? Let me try to make this clear for you, changing the properties of a move... changes the properties of the move. Is that clear enough for you?
You want to claim that s. mp is useless in AE. Yet you've never used it in AE have you? Of course you haven't.
Let's look at the frame data:

Now that st. mp is cancelable, it's one of his better moves (in terms of what it offers frame data wise).
1) Out of all moves that do more damage than it, they're either a lot more unsafe (at LEAST -10 on block) or they startup at least 3 frames slower. Many of them aren't even special cancelable.
2) Since st. mp is at least +3 on hit, that means you can combo into a higher damaging move off a jab (hit confirm cr. jab, st. mp, DP, FADC Ultra). It's also much safer than missing cr. HP which is -13 on hit if you don't cancel it. Can't test the hitbox on it since I let my friend borrow my 360, but it also allows you to potentially punish from further distance than cr. hp will reach.
3) Recovers nearly as fast as cr. mk. and it seems like it'll have much better frame advantage on block and hit.

Is it clearly a winner over other moves right now? Not necessarily, but adding properties and hit/block stun to moves changes how good they are. If cr. mk wasn't cancelable into fireball, you think it'd be used as often as it is now? It'd still be a great poke, but not nearly as useful as the fireball added to the end of it.

I'm going to Japan during Christmas and I was wondering where's the most active (S)SF4 arcades in Tokyo? Previously I found a good one in Akihabara, but I guess there is one in Nakano too?

Nikashi

Banned
Hey, some retard nuked my entire XBL friends list so I gotta re-add a bunch of you.

Gamertag is Nikashi.

Will be on intermittently for the next week or so though. SO out of practice :(

Mœbius

Rocky_Balboa said:
I'm going to Japan during Christmas and I was wondering where's the most active (S)SF4 arcades in Tokyo? Previously I found a good one in Akihabara, but I guess there is one in Nakano too?
There's Big Box in Takadanobaba, that used to be the best place for SF4 with the likes of Mago and Daigo there most of the time. Not sure about now.

Reno (Oichi) probably knows.

SmokeMaxX

Rocky_Balboa said:
I believe there's a good one in Shinjuku. Last time I was there, Big Box was DEAD. Mikado is a great Arcade but more for retro games and BB:CS. Great GG:AC, SF2TD, and obscure games there.

FADC out of Rekkas would be awesome for Fei Long....But on the reals, cr.MK into Rekkas is were is at. And U2 should cancelable, just like Abel.

Solune

SmokeMaxX said:
Are you kidding me? Let me try to make this clear for you, changing the properties of a move... changes the properties of the move. Is that clear enough for you?
You want to claim that s. mp is useless in AE. Yet you've never used it in AE have you? Of course you haven't.

Let's look at the frame data:

Now that st. mp is cancelable, it's one of his better moves (in terms of what it offers frame data wise).
1) Out of all moves that do more damage than it, they're either a lot more unsafe (at LEAST -10 on block) or they startup at least 3 frames slower. Many of them aren't even special cancelable.
2) Since st. mp is at least +3 on hit, that means you can combo into a higher damaging move off a jab (hit confirm cr. jab, st. mp, DP, FADC Ultra). It's also much safer than missing cr. HP which is -13 on hit if you don't cancel it. Can't test the hitbox on it since I let my friend borrow my 360, but it also allows you to potentially punish from further distance than cr. hp will reach.
3) Recovers nearly as fast as cr. mk. and it seems like it'll have much better frame advantage on block and hit.

Is it clearly a winner over other moves right now? Not necessarily, but adding properties and hit/block stun to moves changes how good they are. If cr. mk wasn't cancelable into fireball, you think it'd be used as often as it is now? It'd still be a great poke, but not nearly as useful as the fireball added to the end of it.

For the record we are talking about far s.mp which is -1 ON HIT(-4 on block) and the only changes to it are that it's cancelable which may change later, we don't know what frame data has been changed with FAR s.mp.
Anyways yes you are right, I haven't played AE so let's be done with playing theory fighter.

SmokeMaxX

Solune said:
For the record we are talking about far s.mp which is -1 ON HIT(-4 on block) and the only changes to it are that it's cancelable which may change later, we don't know what frame data has been changed with FAR s.mp.
Anyways yes you are right, I haven't played AE so let's be done with playing theory fighter.
Whoops, got confused after posting about far st. hk. Anyway, it's still safe if you cancel into fireball and how punishable it is on block depends on spacing.

Regardless, I bet they tweaked the hitboxes or frame data on it anyway. We'll see how good (or bad) it is in AE, but I'm betting that it'll be better than you think.

Solune

SmokeMaxX said:
Whoops, got confused after posting about far st. hk. Anyway, it's still safe if you cancel into fireball and how punishable it is on block depends on spacing.

Regardless, I bet they tweaked the hitboxes or frame data on it anyway. We'll see how good (or bad) it is in AE, but I'm betting that it'll be better than you think.

I was in the training room for a while testing it. You are probably right, so I apologize about the insults earlier, pretty uncalled for and I was just being a dick.

C-Jo

dragonballjoseph said:
Friendly costume release reminder.

10/26/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Hakan, Makoto, Guy, Dudley, DeeJay
11/02/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Dan
11/16/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Chun-Li, C. Viper, Sakura, Rose, Cammy
12/21/10 $4/320Microsoft Points - Juri, Ibuki, Cody, Adon, T.Hawk
01/18/11 $4/320Microsoft Points - Zangief, E.Honda, Rufus, Abel, El Fuerte
02/15/11 $4/320Microsoft Points - Vega, Sagat, Balrog, Bison, Seth
03/15/11 $4/320Microsoft Points - Guile, Blanka, Dhalsim, Fei Long, Gen
04/26/11 $18/1,440Microsoft Points - All Characters
Fuck.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm not getting the point of adding more recovery frames to Balrog's Headbutt - it's already unsafe as is, and no good Balrog player would throw that out like that anyways.

I like that they are trying to make U2 somewhat appealing by making it HCB x 2, but the motion isn't the reason why no one's using it Capcom... :lol

I DO love the new possibilities with standing MP being special-move cancel-able AND forcing stand! :D It makes everything else worthwhile just for that change alone since it'll add something new to his play style now...

I really want to see the new changes to Makoto, Dee Jay and Hakan now, they need the help.

SmokeMaxX

Solune said:
I was in the training room for a while testing it. You are probably right, so I apologize about the insults earlier, pretty uncalled for and I was just being a dick.
It's all good dude. Theory Fighter is serious business. :lol

USD

Skilotonn said:
I like that they are trying to make U2 somewhat appealing by making it HCB x 2, but the motion isn't the reason why no one's using it Capcom... :lol
I don't see why they don't just make Balrog's U2, Guy's U2 and Ibuki's U1 1+0 frames like the standard grab ultras. Jumpable (non-moving) grab ultras is just stupid.

Boxer: Far version s.LP whiffs on all crouchers
:D

Skilotonn said:
I'm not getting the point of adding more recovery frames to Balrog's Headbutt - it's already unsafe as is, and no good Balrog player would throw that out like that anyways.
Some characters cannot punish whiffed wakeup headbutt on crossup.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I already included the Makoto/Dee Jay costumes into my 2400 MS points special so it's all good for later today...

MarkMan said:
Capcom releasing stuff on my Birthday again?

You shouldn't have ;)

Today?

Happy Birthday October brother!

Why'd yo lose the the gangsta mustache though?

USD said:
I don't see why they don't just make Balrog's U2, Guy's U2 and Ibuki's U1 1+0 frames like the standard grab ultras. Jumpable (non-moving) grab ultras is just stupid.

Exactly - at least try to make both Ultras viable so it comes down to choice & situations - it's nonsense to have Ultras that are just straight-up avoided in the game because of how useless they are.

anotheriori said:
:D

Some characters cannot punish whiffed wakeup headbutt on crossup.

At worse, that would mean that both characters are even though, and that Balrog would get out of a potential mix-up - I'd understand the damage or start-up change, but not both at the same time.

They are really going against that whole "bringing everyone up to each other's level"-thing they said they'd do before Super came out, and the most they done so far to everyone but two characters is drop damage and health across the boards.

Axis

Skilotonn said:
At worse, that would mean that both characters are even though, and that Balrog would get out of a potential mix-up - I'd understand the damage or start-up change, but not both at the same time.

why should they be even? if balrog throws out a whiffed headbutt on wakeup he SHOULD be able to be punished for it, i don't get the issue here.

Rice-Eater said:
Just my random thoughts on Ryu changes

- Far version s.MP is now special cancel-able
That's kind of cool, now we can do jabs, to st. Strong and end it with a tatsu or fireball.

- Close version s.MK's damage increased
I never use this, but I may now. Linking st. MK from a F+HP is easier than cr. HP

- Close version s.HK now has more frame advantage. They mentioned it's possible to link s.HK -> SRK
Now what I'd like to know is that can you cancel after the 2nd hit or only the first like Sagat's? That would be very nice if you could do SRK after it because close st. HK gives you a plenty of time to confirm the hit

- Less active frames on c.MK
I don't see why this was necessary, but so be it

- F+HP damage decreased
I also don't see the reason for this change, I guess damage will be down to 110. Hopefully stun will go up to balance out the change.

- Jump arc changed on his diagonal jump tatsu. They say it's harder to run away with the tatsu, but also says that its cross-up will be more ambiguous when jumping in
We all knew this was coming. It sucks but so be it, Akuma/Ryu players will just have to adjust

- Did something about EX air tatsu whiffing the last few kicks on hit
Nice I guess, but pretty useless as nobody ever attempts this anyways

It's hard to say right now, but if the buffs are what I hope they are, they could outweigh the nerfs and help Ryu more than it hurts him. But I'm just a scrub, I'd love to see what the top Ryu players have to say when they can get some hands on experience with the changes.

I like these changes because it's adding diverisity to Ryu's normals.
Now not everyone is going to just keep poking out c.mk.

atomico

Extremely LTTP, I just bought the game for 360.

Does anybody know if I can use the old SFIV DLC installation file as a save file, in order to unlock the extra colors in SSFIV?

I'd rather buy the old SFIV costume pack instead of tracking down the game, just to get a save file...

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
atomico said:
Extremely LTTP, I just bought the game for 360.

Does anybody know if I can use the old SFIV DLC installation file as a save file, in order to unlock the extra colors in SSFIV?

I'd rather buy the old SFIV costume pack instead of tracking down the game, just to get a save file...

Pretty sure it does since I popped in my SSF4 it gives me pop-ups saying it recognized the SF4 save and copied over costumes.

Also, going through the challenges how do I do the Crouch MP, Crouch MP, HK? Every time I try it the punch pushes me back and forces me to start over again.

atomico

mikespit1200 said:
Pretty sure it does since I popped in my SSF4 it gives me pop-ups saying it recognized the SF4 save and copied over costumes.

Also, going through the challenges how do I do the Crouch MP, Crouch MP, HK? Every time I try it the punch pushes me back and forces me to start over again.

Thanks. I'll give it a try

edit: regarding the challenge, the descriptions on those things are awful. For, like, half of Juri's trials, you have to fire her Ultra combo beforehand (feng shui engine, IIRC), or her moves won't string together. Still, there's no mention of it anywhere. meh.

atomico said:
Thanks. I'll give it a try

edit: regarding the challenge, the descriptions on those things are awful. For, like, half of Juri's trials, you have to fire her Ultra combo beforehand (feng shui engine, IIRC), or her moves won't string together. Still, there's no mention of it anywhere. meh.
Fuerte's RSF one in vanilla was too hilarious. it was something like:
Fierce punch
Fierce punch
Fierce punch

:lol

BotoxAgent said:
I hope they nerf Dictator pretty good :)
Yeah I agree, his normal kicks are so good and the scissor kick pressure can lock down characters almost as well as Cammy's tkcs although I still don't fully understand the match up, maybe the key is to be more aggressive.

Threi said:
I don't know who this godlike Sakura is, but the ending to the last round was really amazing.

Solid_Rain said:
Yeah I agree, his normal kicks are so good and the scissor kick pressure can lock down characters almost as well as Cammy's tkcs although I still don't fully understand the match up, maybe the key is to be more aggressive.
He can only do it twice safely. After that, a majority of characters can stuff the shorts or scissors with a normal.

Kimosabae said:
Why? That seems nonsensical. How do the frames change?

He just gets pushed out. The key to surviving scissor kick pressure is just blocking until he pushes himself out and not pushing buttons, because that's what he wants you to do. Once he pushes himself out he has to guess if you're going to try to jump away and do a st. rh (which you can punish) or get back in with a far lk scissor kick which you can stuff.

But yeah, the key is blocking. Don't worry about eating the chip. chip damage from 3 reps of scissors is not as bad as just getting counterhit by one from mashing buttons.

Axis

Kimosabae said:
Why? That seems nonsensical. How do the frames change?

he gets pushed out of range, the frames do not change...you're able to CH him out of any normal he can do at that range if he tries to hit confirm it.

Axis

Kimosabae said:
Interesting. Does it push out simply due to ill spacing, or something else?
because scissors has some serious pushback after 2 reps of lk->scissors->lk->scissors...even in the corner bison will push himself back far enough to get CH if he tries it again so just keep it in mind

hitsugi

_dementia said:
I don't think a new motion will make people choose Rog's new ultra. How about making it non-shitty?
You could say that about a lot of the new ultras..

Also, if Guy's U2 were instant people would be getting eaten alive by it.

Dartastic

Costume packs are up on XBL, but they're not downloading. Poo. So instead I'm downloading RDR's expansion pack. Heh. Also, I noticed two pieces of DLC that are up. Which one am I supposed to download?

USD

hitsugi said:
You could say that about a lot of the new ultras..

Also, if Guy's U2 were instant people would be getting eaten alive by it.
Hey, Guy needs all the help he can get. Lop off 50 points or so off of the damage it would be fine. It's not like it's an Atomic Buster, though the number of empty jump Ultras would vastly increase. :lol

USD said:
Hey, Guy needs all the help he can get. Lop off 50 points or so off of the damage it would be fine. It's not like it's an Atomic Buster, though the number of empty jump Ultras would vastly increase. :lol
also, run stop ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom