• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BotoxAgent said:
I swear, the newer the LCD model...the worse the lag gets. They upgrade every aspect of the tv, except optimizing it for proper gaming. They add so much garbage tech in LCDs.

Yeah the first thing I did was turn off god awful "motion plus" which makes everything on TV look like a daytime drama and had unbelievable lag with the 360. All these settings and bullshit. Honestly I might return it and just get a smaller, 3DTV.

Kinect is pretty much unplayable on this TV as well.

Axis

Arpharmd B said:
Excellent Cammy. Best I've played in a while.

I can't do shit on this monitor dude. The input lag is god awful. Things like throw defense become impossible for me. No excuses, just we'll have to play again when I have my bravia setup.

Dementia: Can't find the game mode. My previous setup is boss, I can pretty much say that 42" Bravia via VGA cable is lagless or very close to it.

Since I've changed TV's I've lost 400 or so BP. I don't play often but when I do I usually rack up like 500 BP per session. Now I'm losing as much :lol

yeah gg's run it back when you can play without lag haha...it's the sole reason i own a monitor ;o

Arpharmd B said:
Dementia: Can't find the game mode. My previous setup is boss, I can pretty much say that 42" Bravia via VGA cable is lagless or very close to it.
Oh, you're on VGA? I don't think game mode can be enabled in VGA, only component and HDMI... VGA is already as good as it gets with regards to lag on my Samsung anyway. :/

hikarutilmitt said:
I'm sure that once TV use for video games comes close to meeting, or even exceeds, TV programming and movie use maybe they'll start considering it. Until then we're just a niche market of enthusiasts.

Is it really niche? Do manufacturers think only the hardcore are sensitive to lag? I mean even a game like Call of Duty must be frustrating to play with lag at the most basic level, especially sniping head shots, or someone playing Wii sports.

Yeah the first thing I did was turn off god awful "motion plus" which makes everything on TV look like a daytime drama and had unbelievable lag with the 360. All these settings and bullshit. Honestly I might return it and just get a smaller, 3DTV.

whenever motion plus is on, it feels like I'm high :lol

BotoxAgent said:
Is it really niche? Do manufacturers think only the hardcore are sensitive to lag? I mean even a game like Call of Duty must be frustrating to play with lag at the most basic level, especially sniping head shots, or someone playing Wii sports.
Honestly, I don't think the average consumer notices, or perhaps they assume it's intrinsic to the game.

I've been getting a lot of screwed-up inputs with my stick, random up-forward/backwards and opposite directions when I release it to neutral, so I took it apart. Looks like I've been wearing down the guard plate and square gate, giving it more room to move than it's supposed to have, and making it trigger when it shouldn't. I swapped in my circle gate and tightened a couple buttons, so hopefully I don't have as many problems now. Now to make sure I can block without little corners.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
_dementia said:
Honestly, I don't think the average consumer notices, or perhaps they assume it's intrinsic to the game.
This is probably the sad truth.

I mean, shit, I've seen people on this very forum say that lag in other fighters is fine because the game still runs "smoothly"... even when there's up to a 1/4 second delay between input and action.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
_dementia said:
You can kill them easily by mashing lariat with Gief. I have also had success with jab DP (block) -> fierce DP spam with Ken. AI is pretty dumb.

Yup, cheesed that AI for the Achievements in the quickest/easiest way possible and was out - with no shame whatsoever.

LakeEarth said:
It's exactly like fighting against Akuma/Gouken normally (perfects and super/ultra finishes), only the difficulty has to be on hardest.

Oh yeah, that's what it was - beat them both the first day and haven't tried to go back to them since.

I'm curious since that Ono pretty much confirmed that those leaked Achievements were real by saying that he might be losing his job, and they're completely new models that they might be playable as well - a Shin Akuma that moves faster but takes even more damage might be interesting to include, especially if he finally has a fireball super/Ultra.

And an evil Ryu with a teleport, air fireball, Raging Demon and a multiple uppercut Ultra could be nice as well.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sixfortyfive said:
This is probably the sad truth.

I mean, shit, I've seen people on this very forum say that lag in other fighters is fine because the game still runs "smoothly"... even when there's up to a 1/4 second delay between input and action.

Maybe I'm not top tier enough of a fighting game player... but there's no way in hell I'm going to notice a 1/4 of a second delay between input and action. I realize this game is played in the milliseconds of frame data, but I feel like I've never going to notice that unless two monitors are side by side. Then, MAYBE.

I also wonder if I personally (and others) confuse lag with "I inputted DP to anti-air that guy jumping in and nothing came out!" Can I blame lag on something like that... or my reactions? See, I can't tell. The only time I've ever wondered about this really is when I went to play SFIV at an Arcade (UFO) and I was nailing every single input that I wanted. I was always able to anti-air and link combos. Was because I was playing on a lagless monitor... or my game just stepped up that night?

I don't know. But I feel like a punk bitch when I blame my inputs not happening because of lag, rather than blame my reactions.

Arpharmd B said:
So I "ahem" upgraded to a 60 inch LED Samsung for my gaming setup. Now I'm fighting TV lag. Add in some latency from Xbox Live and you have the makings of a lag shit fest.

Anyone else have a big tv that adds input lag. I seriously have to go back to my 32" bravia for SSF4 :(

Like it was mentioned, game mode helps, but you'll still notice a touch of delay.

XenoRaven said:
My Samsung is all I know. I'm scared to try one of those Asus monitors lest I start thinking I'm a real player that needs a monitor with minimal lag.

I played vanilla on a 40ish inch LCD tv. Online + tv lag destroyed my confidence when it came to AA'ing jump-ins with 'Sim (or anyone else, really). Once Super arrived I switched to an Asus (the model run @ Evo), and I couldn't imagine playing on anything else. It was like night and day

I hate autocorrect and shortcuts more than lag. I generally only fight green bar people, so the only thing I notice is that it can be hard to tech throws and the occasional dropped input. Since Dudley has forward and back motions for every button, autocorrect fucks me up when I want to say, duck under a crossup and instead get short swing blow and get tagged with a counter hit. And trying to do kara tiger shots is a bastard.

cHaotix8

God's Beard said:
Since Dudley has forward and back motions for every button, autocorrect fucks me up when I want to say, duck under a crossup and instead get short swing blow and get tagged with a counter hit.

This right here. Makes auto-correct DP's a pain in the ass.

I used to play on my 50in Samsung, convinced that there was no lag. After a few weeks of that, I moved on to a side CRT just for SF4. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the Asus monitor for the HDMI resolution. It really does gives the best experience when playing fighting games.

XenoRaven

Ok...you know what? I'm just going to say it.

I like evil versions of characters. I will use Evil Ryu. I used him and Evil Iori in my casual CvS2 play all the time. I'm kind of excited for him.

XenoRaven said:
Ok...you know what? I'm just going to say it.

I like evil versions of characters. I will use Evil Ryu. I used him and Evil Iori in my casual CvS2 play all the time. I'm kind of excited for him.
Since you're such a fan of Evil Ryu you mained Akuma in S/SFIV right?

_dementia said:
Since you're such a fan of Evil Ryu you mained Akuma in S/SFIV right?

No because he is a pale imatation of Evil Ryu...

Evil Ryu is a weird character. He is not quite Akuma. He's not quite Ryu.

He has the three hit hurricane kick (or two hit for medium kick).

He has a multi-hitting SRK.

He has a teleport.

He has a super fireball, SRK, hurricane kick and Raging Demon.

But of course he doesn't have the vortex/mixups, red fireball, air fireball and some of his normal moves.

_dementia said:
I see. What was his health like? Average, or more in line with Akuma?

I can't remember. And back then, when you had strategy guides, they didn't give hit point, damage, frame data like they do now. I'm sure it's somewhere on the indanet.

Honestly, in Alpha 2 and 3, he sucked. Alpha 2, you were a fool not to use Ken, Chun, etc. Alpha 3, he was a home add on.

CVS2 is the only game where he appeared normal I think.

XenoRaven

He has an unblockable level 3 fireball super in CvS2. But I couldn't do half circle motions on a controller back then...lol.

Honestly I've always been interested in SFIV Akuma, but I'm not even good with Chun. I want to get to a point where I learn to play footsies, aa, and get her 1-framers down before I start messing around with other characters. Plus, I already hate having 900 health.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dont blame you guys wanting to check out NEC, it's going to be dope as hell. Wish I could watch on saturday. :lol

Keep in mind Hadocon is only one day though, so we'll have Grand Finals etc all on Saturday so you should def check it out. A ton of SoCal peeps are coming up for some reason too like Ross, Tatsu AndyOCR ect so it should be really cool.

haunts said:
Dont blame you guys wanting to check out NEC, it's going to be dope as hell. Wish I could watch on saturday. :lol

Keep in mind Hadocon is only one day though, so we'll have Grand Finals etc all on Saturday so you should def check it out. A ton of SoCal peeps are coming up for some reason too like Ross, Tatsu AndyOCR ect so it should be really cool.
Cool I'll check it out. Majors don't get interesting for me until the later matches anyway, so I'll dedicate Sunday to NEC and Spend my Saturday with IPW and Hadocon.

haunts said:

Wait a second. If we check out NEC, it's a win in your book, right? Team Spooky X IPW is streaming it.

But I'll do you a solid and open both windows up, so you win even more. Since you're selling it fo free, I'll take both.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
Wait a second. If we check out NEC, it's a win in your book, right? Team Spooky X IPW is streaming it.

But I'll do you a solid and open both windows up, so you win even more. Since you're selling it fo free, I'll take both.

Well you guys really need to check out NEC through out the weekend, though Hadocon ended up being waaay bigger than I thought it would be. AFAIK they are doing some cool give aways/raffles and stuff during NEC stream all weekend. Details should be up on ipw soon.

Wow so check this out.

Hooked up the 360 via VGA and it completely and utterly ELIMINATED all the lag, completely. Unbelievable.

60" Samsung LED redeemed. I can play SF again.

haunts said:
Well you guys really need to check out NEC through out the weekend, though Hadocon ended up being waaay bigger than I thought it would be. AFAIK they are doing some cool give aways/raffles and stuff during NEC stream all weekend. Details should be up on ipw soon.

A convention about surging, how could you guys not expect it to get as big as it did. Are you guys expecting 100+ for SSF4?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Rice-Eater said:
A convention about surging, how could you guys not expect it to get as big as it did. Are you guys expecting 100+ for SSF4?

Wel tbh, SCR and NCR were less than even a month ago so I figured this would be just more of a NorCal thing but cool that socal peeps are coming. Have no idea about the numbers.

Arpharmd B said:
Wow so check this out.

Hooked up the 360 via VGA and it completely and utterly ELIMINATED all the lag, completely. Unbelievable.

60" Samsung LED redeemed. I can play SF again.

What model # do you have?

Someone ragequitted me for like, the first time since Vanilla. I feel I have finally arrived.
The Ken's getting a little better but still mad scrubby. Hitconfirms? What are those lol?

DR2K

Banned
Dartastic said:
I do really want a Round 2 stick for 360...... But I don't need a third stick, and I don't feel like spending 150. Guah. :/

If you know someone who needs a stick you can always sell/gift it.

Man, all that time I spent finding a good rhythm for Rekka confirms, and swapping back to the circle gate feels like I'm starting all over. I can't even block low half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom