• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

Chavelo- yeah it's all good. Sorry for blowing this up out of proportion.
Gutabo- I don't know what post you're talking about, but it sucked. Real talk.
DryEyeRelief- Nice try defending yourself. Mission failed.
AkumaHokoru- Sorry for your problems. If true (about TS), you're justified in hating EH. Everybody else just going along for the ride saying "Eventscrubs this, Eventscrubs that" is not.
Hitokage- Yes Maj should get ad revenue for what he does. I agree 100%. If EH is stealing his shit, he should sue them or come to a better arrangement.

Anyway, my last post on this subject. Catalyst from EH sent me a PM on SRK and requested that I post this. He's not banned as far as I know so I don't think this violates ToS (I actually just skimmed over every relevant thread/ToS/Privacy Policy thing just to make sure that this was okay and it didn't seem like this violates anything).
Copied and pasted directly so links are broken, but here's the source: http://forums.eventhubs.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5458
Catalyst said:
There have been a bunch of false allegations made about EventHubs on NeoGAF recently: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 3&page=107

I've attempted to sign up for an account there, but it hasn't been approved yet. I wanted to address the concerns that came up here.

Hitokage: They post stuff in full without linking to the original site, as if it was submitted to them to begin with.

This is a quick one to debunk. If you look through the news stories on the front page of the website, you'll see credit assigned. This is a rumor that persists, even though there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. I'm not perfect, and if I missed credit to someone, all they have to do is email me — and it will be fixed.

Again, look around at the news stories if you don't believe me, you'll see credit and link backs assigned all over the place.

DryEyeRelief: Eventscrubs had no problem linking the stream of oni/evil ryu directly to their site, but they completely avoided the recent iplaywinner/team spooky streams.

I've linked to countless Team Sp00ky and IPlayWinner streams over the years, most recently this one just a few days ago: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jan/ ... mp-vs-nyc/ and I will continue to link to/embed their streams in the future. I support BOTH of those organizations, period.

Lost Fragment: Remember when Oichi twatted that Ingrid was gonna be playable in Super and Eventhubs picked it up, and only cited their source when they figured out he just made it up to troll them? Fun times, fun times.

Actually, VersusCity's Twitter was credited from the get go. There are screen shots of this as well. VersusCity has since said it's a private account and asked me not to link to it, but, there you go.

You do know the reason people don't like them it's cause all of that frame data, guides, and tier lists were pulled from... SRK and Iplaywinner?

Again, completely false, and I know a number of members of this forum would have a thing or two to say about this. As far as the frame data goes, I addressed this when I was a guest on the IPlayWinner podcast (which would be on odd thing to do if I didn't support them), Gilley grabbed all of the frame data from the Enterbrain guide in Japan and I contacted him asking if I could use it on EventHubs, he said it was OK. The frame data looks the same because it came from the same person and the same source.

Aruarian Reflection: At first I thought it was because the webmaster was burned out on watching streams, but then somebody here mentioned that they're not going to cover any tournaments related to the EVO season or SRK.

Again, completely false. I literally just made a post about EVO yesterday announcing the games they planned on running: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jan/ ... announced/ and I have every intention of fully supporting EVO, just like every year I've been running the site.

CPS2: Also eventhubs re-edit combo and glitch videos, remove the credits, and upload them to their youtube channel without permission.

And they constantly get people's names wrong, even when the video creators personally message them and correct it, they're like nahhhhhhhhhhh =/

One other thing, my friend found a glitch, EH re-recorded it and uploaded it, eventually gave credit but still left their (crappier) video of the glitch embedded on their site with no new applications. When I asked why they didn't embed the original, I got banned =/

Addressing the first point here, I don't recall re-editing anyone's combo video and removing credit for them. If this was the case, HAVE THEM CONTACT ME or let me know so I can fix it. Again, I don't think it happened, but if it did, let me know.

The second point about not fixing people's names is soooooooo incredibly dumb and wrong. If someone contacts me about fixing their name, I do it. Just ridiculous.

The funny thing about people getting banned is they never say "Oh, I deserved to get banned, I did this, that and this and was a total jerk." They always talk about how unjustly they were treated. I don't recall why CPS2 was banned, because this happened a ways back, and there were a bunch of people creating hack accounts and spamming the website, but I can guarantee it wasn't for asking to "embed the original." He did something that violated the rules and his account was toasted.

Gutabo: They get people's(and site's) names wrong because it's a way to not give credit back to the owner and lose clicks in the process. They know exactly what they're doing and as long as they're making money, they don't care about anything else. When they got called out(at the maj incident) they said that those were "few, isolated errors", that they had new people hired recently and that it was their mistake.

Again, I haven't hired on anyone, now or in the past. Nor did I at any point attribute those errors to other people.

I'm just posting this here to give you guys an idea of some of the made up things that are being posted recently. Most of these look to be completely fabricated, while the other concerns are things I have addressed and will continue to do so, as needed.

USD

Here's the character breakdown of the NSB sign-ups listed so far:

6 - M.Bison
5 - Chun-Li, Fei Long
4 - Akuma, Blanka, Makoto, Sagat
3 - Balrog, Cody, Seth, Yun
2 - C.Viper, E.Honda, El Fuerte, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Rufus, T.Hawk, Vega, Yang, Zangief
1 - Abel, Adon, Cammy, Dudley, Gen, Gouken, Juri, Ken, Rose
0 - Dan, Dee Jay, Dhalsim, Guile, Ryu, Sakura

The Dictatorship is going strong. Ryu is dead, as is Guile. It's not all the sign-ups obviously, but still, crazy.

BONUS: There are 4 teams with duplicate characters: three teams with 2 of the same character (Makoto, El Fuerte, Zangief) and one 1-character team (Seth).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is a quick one to debunk. If you look through the news stories on the front page of the website, you'll see credit assigned. This is a rumor that persists, even though there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. I'm not perfect, and if I missed credit to someone, all they have to do is email me — and it will be fixed.

Again, look around at the news stories if you don't believe me, you'll see credit and link backs assigned all over the place.
Ok, dude, I'm calling your bluff right now.

The following information was originally posted on NeoGAF:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/feb/28/ssf4-moves-listings-dudley-makoto-and-ibuki/

"Thanks to Deathberry and Blazingsoldier2002 for contributing these images."

I'm starting to think that SmokeMaxx a) works with EventHubs and b) enjoys defending them to the point of drowning out fighting game news in this thread.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
American arcades probably shouldn't worry about Capcom? Just keep things on the DL. Don't brag about having them unlocked nor stream stuff until it's the right time. I think somebody said something about Japan being mad we got the code first. Maybe they made a big deal about it and Capcom had to do something.

SmokeMaxX

Hitokage said:
Ok, dude, I'm calling your bluff right now.

The following information was originally posted on NeoGAF:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/feb/28/ssf4-moves-listings-dudley-makoto-and-ibuki/

"Thanks to Deathberry and Blazingsoldier2002 for contributing these images."
One thing I was thinking about recently- can we fault EH for not knowing who the original source is if another user submits the information? Honestly for things like this, it may come down to watermarks.

FlightOfHeaven- I wish I worked for EH. I could use the extra cash right now. I'm a busy man with school though. The only reason I'm defending EH is because it's annoying as hell seeing everyone disconnect from reality and all shit on something that they don't know anything about. I bet at least 50% of the people on here who chant "Eventscrubs" don't even know WHY they dislike the site. And once you get out of NeoGAF, the count is probably higher. Yeah it'd be easy to say "oh okay, NeoGAF doesn't like Eventhubs so I'm just gonna pretend like I don't like them too so that I can be cool for my online friends" but fuck that. I'm not gonna let other people tell me how to think. What has Eventhubs ever done wrong to me? Nothing. If they've done wrong to other people, that's between Eventhubs and those other people. That doesn't dismiss them from any wrong-doing, but that also doesn't mean that they don't have good things going for them.

Anyway, stop trolling me. I'm willing to drop all this if people stop replying to it.

Chavelo

@SmokeMaxX - No worries, guy. :-D

@Eventhubs and Neogaf
O SHIT, THEY FOUND US... HIDE CREEPY-GAF/LOCK OFF-TOPIC! D:

Ontopic: DAMN IT... What's the date that Oni and Evil Ryu are supposed to be time released? Was gonna hit up Cali on March or April and one of the big reasons for the visit is to try out the AE machines and the characters. /profound sadness

USD said:

6 - M.Bison
5 - Chun-Li, Fei Long, Makoto
4 - Akuma, Blanka, Sagat
2 - C.Viper, E.Honda, El Fuerte, Guy, Hakan, Ibuki, Rufus, T.Hawk, Vega, Yang, Zangief

The Dictatorship is going strong. Ryu is dead, as is Guile. It's not all the sign-ups obviously, but still, crazy.

BONUS: There are 4 teams with duplicate characters: three teams with 2 of the same character (Makoto, El Fuerte, Zangief) and one 1-character team (Seth).

That's a lot different than vanilla, dictator was polled as the least popular character during the last SBO.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Kadey said:
I think somebody said something about Japan being mad we got the code first. Maybe they made a big deal about it and Capcom had to do something.

America is not that important.

USD said:

6 - M.Bison
5 - Chun-Li, Fei Long
4 - Akuma, Blanka, Makoto, Sagat

rip

I dont even hate EH I just dont care anymore. Its nice to spin things but facts were facts. EH was around since SF4 and cashed in on a new market. I dont mind that at all considering SRK is extremely elitist (I say this as a 01) so alot of new players got trashed unfairly and eh was a good outlet (then again for every 1 person who came correct and got poorly treated there were several dozen SF4 IS THE BEST FUCK EVERYTHING OLD types who made srk react like this)

AkumaHokoru said:
I dont even hate EH I just dont care anymore. Its nice to spin things but facts were facts. EH was around since SF4 and cashed in on a new market. I dont mind that at all considering SRK is extremely elitist (I say this as a 01) so alot of new players got trashed unfairly and eh was a good outlet (then again for every 1 person who came correct and got poorly treated there were several dozen SF4 IS THE BEST FUCK EVERYTHING OLD types who made srk react like this)

Even a hater like me knows eventscrubs compiled info for 3rd strike before the sf4 revolution.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't understand how Capcom can "make" arcade owners relock characters. Unless these machines are property of Capcom and lent to these arcades or something, the cabs are property of the arcades aren't they? What is Capcom going to do? Forceably take away their cabs? Not sell them any other arcade games? Oh wait, they rarely bring any out!

So, can anyone explain to me how Capcom can legally do this?

HiResDes

Okay I don't like all of the Dictator love, I've been playing him since Vanilla and I think I'll be the only to admit that he didn't need any sort of buffs by any means. I also liked playing against the shoto's, I felt comfortable against them, well except really volatile Kens.

def sim

Kintaro said:
I don't understand how Capcom can "make" arcade owners relock characters. Unless these machines are property of Capcom and lent to these arcades or something, the cabs are property of the arcades aren't they? What is Capcom going to do? Forceably take away their cabs? Not sell them any other arcade games? Oh wait, they rarely bring any out!

So, can anyone explain to me how Capcom can legally do this?

I don't understand it either.

The recent article posted doesn't even confirm the rumor, it's just stating it again.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
As far as I know, the game isn't available for sale outside of Japan, which means it was purchased through illegal channels. So I don't believe it is outside the realm of possibility that the choice came down to lock up the characters or get your cabinet taken away.

gutabo

Catalyst via SmokeMaxX said:
Gutabo: They get people's(and site's) names wrong because it's a way to not give credit back to the owner and lose clicks in the process. They know exactly what they're doing and as long as they're making money, they don't care about anything else. When they got called out(at the maj incident) they said that those were "few, isolated errors", that they had new people hired recently and that it was their mistake.

Again, I haven't hired on anyone, now or in the past. Nor did I at any point attribute those errors to other people.
You chose to correct just THAT PART of my post? Nothing about the shady linking tactics and half-assed attempts to “credit the creators”? smh...

Ok, I participated in the original discussion(on sonichurricane.com and other forums) and I tried for a couple minutes but I'm not going though piles of posts on many sites just to prove you wrong. Let's just assume that my memory is failing me and that none of your apologists and supporters stated that "they had new people hired recently and that it was their mistake". Let's remove that last part of the sentence from the equation. All of the other points still stand. And you chose to ignore them. Bravo.

SmokeMaxX: lol!

def sim

marathonfool said:
You want to maintain a good relationship with the developer.

Arcades have to? I don't see how, they paid a ridiculous amount of money for the machines when the arcade scene isn't already very strong. Seems like they would want to keep a better relationship with their customers.

Oichi said:
As far as I know, the game isn't available for sale outside of Japan, which means it was purchased through illegal channels. So I don't believe it is outside the realm of possibility that the choice came down to lock up the characters or get your cabinet taken away.

Illegal? I don't know the exact method of them importing a video game machine from Japan, but I have a hard time seeing how it would be such a problem.

It's not like they bought it from the black market, I mean.

Unlocking the characters earlier than expected can be compared to illegally unlocking DLC that comes in a disc but isn't available until purchased. I see how things could be problematic there, but these characters don't have a price attached to them.* Outright going to arcades and forcing them to revert sounds extreme to me. Taking the machine back shouldn't even be an option in this situation.

I don't know, this all just sounds so silly to me.

*Maybe Capcom will be charging arcades for the two characters. No way any of this story is true unless money is involved.

Papi

rance said:
Illegal? I don't know the exact method of them importing a video game machine from Japan, but I have a hard time seeing how it would be such a problem.

It's not like they bought it from the black market, I mean.
I think the arcade operators need a licence for the game.

gutabo said:
You chose to correct just THAT PART of my post? Nothing about the shady linking tactics and half-assed attempts to “credit the creators”? smh...

Ok, I participated in the original discussion(on sonichurricane.com and other forums) and I tried for a couple minutes but I'm not going though piles of posts on many sites just to prove you wrong. Let's just assume that my memory is failing me and that none of your apologists and supporters stated that "they had new people hired recently and that it was their mistake". Let's remove that last part of the sentence from the equation. All of the other points still stand. And you chose to ignore them. Bravo.

SmokeMaxX: lol!

Catalyst is reading the topic now? FlightOfHeaven might actually be right.

For any of the lurkers out there still interested in this, here's the original sonic hurricane article about eventhubs: http://sonichurricane.com/?p=5222&cpage=1#comments
comment section is pretty interesting to follow. come to your own conclusions.

The Excellent Adventure of God's Beard: The Capcom Invitational Circuit

sDEhI.jpg

Don't Stop Me Now

First of all, I'd like to thank Haunts again. I won a slot for the tournament through the Make Your Own Intro contest, but Gamespot messed up and forgot to send me an email with the location and instructions on how to attend. Haunts graciously sent me the address, and I immediately set out on the road at 10AM from Central California(forgetting my glasses, being very nearsighted and unable to read street signs at night). I set my cruise control to 83 mph and didn't stop once, making it to the Gamespot offices about half an hour before registration. I wound up getting my email from gamespot while I was halfway to the city. I met my guest, a good friend and my personal tour guide. Everyone crowded outside the building waiting for registration to start, and notable names like Seth Killian, Filipino Champ and Haunts could be seen lounging around, as well as mods from Capcom Unity and Gamespot personalities running in and out of the building.

After a while, we signed papers saying that we could be recorded and that we wouldn't record video any of the procedings, before being allowed into the tournament room. As we walked in, I took the chance to thank Haunts, who remembered me as having been "freaking out".

HqUlS.jpg

There were 8 setups and we were given about half an hour to practice. My stick was messed up, so I only wound up getting to play 2 games before the tournament started. My main goal in showing up was testing some zoning tactics using MODOK's aegis reflector assist, which blocks movement and most projectiles for about 3 seconds. My two strategies to test were using the barrier to cover Dormammu and Arthur while they zone, and laying down the barrier and teleporting to the other side with a rushdown character, using it as a midscreen corner. Experimenting with different characters and getting some experience with how the game works, I learned a lot about this very quickly. First of all, it's almost worthless for protecting Arthur. Because his mobility is borderline nonexistent, traditional assists like Chun Li's lightning Legs or Amaterasu's Ice Shots are far more useful. However, it works particularly well for covering Dormammu at strategic times. Dormammu is very good at zoning, but he doesn't deal well with projectile wars, so the barrier absorbs fireballs that he normally isn't able to. Furthermore, He can teleport, so he gets double the usage out of it. The barrier assist is special because it restricts the opponent with much less risk to your assist, whereas Ammy and Chun's can be extremely vulnerable.
  • Note: I asked Seth Killian if it was possible to use levels of understanding to get the giant barrier as an assist, but he turned down that idea pretty quickly.
During the tournament itself, I won my first battle by abusing Wesker's teleports and the magic series. Amaterasu was also a great help for easy DHCs. I tried using MODOK, but I didn't have nearly enough time to learn his moves and I got killed in my first round before winning the next two, replacing him with Dormammu. I wound up losing to a very quick Iron Man abusing THE FUCK out of tri-dashes. Blocking in Marvel is hard. I tied for 17th along with Haunts, Filipino Champ tied for 9th, and some dude did a 117-hit combo with Dante during the finals match. I also saw Filipino Champ do what looked like 60%+ damage at once with chip alone during casuals.

This game is VERY VERY fun, and right up my alley. The variety is massive, and there's clearly room for a ton of playstyles and creativity. The incredible possibilities also make execution-oriented players feel right at home, while turtles like Filipino champ can be right at home as well. That said, here's some random thoughts:

• Fuck Hail Storm. It does like 15% chip on average health characters.
  • Dante is ridiculous. When a character has "classic combos" according to Seth's commentary, a month before the game comes out, you know this guy is out there. Almost everyone in the top half of the tournament used Dante and Storm.
  • Morrigan's meter assist is REALLY REALLY good. There was a guy using her during the tournament in tandem with zoning characters, and was burning hypers constantly.
  • A lot of people were using Magneto and not really going anywhere.
  • Dormammu is really godlike, Filipino Champ got pretty salty when he lost to one running the hell away.
  • Spider Man is way more fun than I thought. He's kind of like Wesker in that he can frustrate people with his constant fluid movement and his hyper can be used in almost any situation.
  • Amaterasu's time slow hyper is really good if you want to bring tri-dashers down to your level.
  • Arthur is a really good assist in gold mode. DHC city.
  • C.Viper is the best character in the game.

Marvel 3 is way faster than Marvel 2.
But how does it stack up to Street Fighter?

Do As the Romans Do

The tournament was over at around 7:30, so I did what any self-respecting fighting gamer would do with the last hours of the day.

WGja9.jpg

I took a little detour to play some Arcade Edition. There was a pretty long line(about 8 people, using cards instead of quarters), so I put down my starbucks card and hung out, chatting about Marvel 3 and how much bullshit Zangief is with the locals. I got to test Fei Long, Dudley and Yang, unfortunately Milpitas GL didn't have the Oni and Evil ryu unlocked. A Zangief player was dominating the setup for most of the time I was there, but I was told that an AZ Greg clone had a 50+ win streak earlier in the day.

Overall, I don't know how to describe it. The game felt... clean. Everything about it was just so smooth and even, it really felt like the complete version of Street Fighter 4. It's probably the most perfect fighting game Capcom's ever released, not that I mean best. When I sat down, it just felt timeless and competitive in its simplicity, like playing Super Turbo(even though I hate that fucking game). It's just that, compared to Marvel 3, there wasn't any spark. I wasn't actively there. I had a feeling I was in some nostalgic artifact, the hazy memory of a time that doesn't exist. It's like that phrase, the childhood summer that seemed so sunny in your head, even though you know that it wasn't really possible. Anyway, it's perfect, but a perfection of an old design.

Marvel 3, everything was fresh, constantly, like a baby at the zoo. I just don't feel like playing Street Fighter 4 after something that good. Oh, I did play a few 3rd Strike matches as Banana Twelve. With mixed success.

Country Roads, Take Me Home

I ate my Capcom-endorsed Subway sandwich and drove back, and here I am.

8WMIE.jpg

tl:dr- Between 9 hours of driving, garage parking and an arcade pass, I spent 8 dollars per match to play Marvel 3 and Arcade Edition.

CPS2

Catalyst putting the onus on everyone else to fix his mistakes as per usual. The problem is, there's just waaaaay too many. We don't have time. It's his shitty website =/.

I forgot to mention: Wesker's teleport doesn't work well with MODOK's assist because the set movement is too far for a good setup. Characters with tracking teleports like Dante work better.

El Sloth

Banned
Nice write up GB! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. You should also post this in the MvC3 thread.

Some questions:

-Does MODOK get to keep his levels of understanding power-up when he's switched out or does it reset? I see that you said it doesn't affect his assists, but I wasn't sure if you meant that he loses the power-up completely.
-Did the build they had there have Phoenix? If so, how is she shaping up?

El Sloth said:
Nice write up GB! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. You should also post this in the MvC3 thread.

Some questions:

-Does MODOK get to keep his levels of understanding power-up when he's switched out or does it reset? I see that you said it doesn't affect his assists, but I wasn't sure if you meant that he loses the power-up completely.
-Did the build they had there have Phoenix? If so, how is she shaping up?

MODOK keeps his levels of understanding until you spend them. I wish his moves cost more levels and were permanent buffs like Mariah in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

No phoenix or taskmaster, but we did watch the reveal trailers on the big projector screens for Sentinel and Hsien Ko.

El Sloth

Banned
God's Beard said:
MODOK keeps his levels of understanding until you spend them. I wish his moves cost more levels and were permanent buffs like Mariah in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Nice. There were probably some balancing issues with making the buffs permanent. What did you find to be the most useful thing to spend LOU on?
God's Beard said:
No phoenix or taskmaster, but we did watch the reveal trailers on the big projector screens for Sentinel and Hsien Ko.
Ha, I bet that must've been hype.

I actually dropped MODOK pretty quick because I didn't have time to learn him, that's why I had to ask Seth about the assist thing.
El Sloth said:
Ha, I bet that must've been hype.

Actually the room was kinda silent because they'd all seen it already. Still some reaction to the sentinel damage.

El Sloth

Banned
God's Beard said:
I actually dropped MODOK pretty quick because I didn't have time to learn him, that's why I had to ask Seth about the assist thing.
Yeah, sorry. My pent up hype must have made me selectively blind and I missed the part in your post where you said you didn't use him in the actual tourney.

I really want to get my hands on this game.

God's Beard said:
Overall, I don't know how to describe it. The game felt... clean. Everything about it was just so smooth and even, it really felt like the complete version of Street Fighter 4. It's probably the most perfect fighting game Capcom's ever released, not that I mean best. When I sat down, it just felt timeless and competitive in its simplicity, like playing Super Turbo(even though I hate that fucking game). It's just that, compared to Marvel 3, there wasn't any spark. I wasn't actively there. I had a feeling I was in some nostalgic artifact, the hazy memory of a time that doesn't exist. It's like that phrase, the childhood summer that seemed so sunny in your head, even though you know that it wasn't really possible. Anyway, it's perfect, but a perfection of an old design.

Did you get to try all three characters? Who did you fight?

CPS2 said:
Catalyst putting the onus on everyone else to fix his mistakes as per usual. The problem is, there's just waaaaay too many. We don't have time. It's his shitty website =/.

Well there's that and the whole, "If you post about their citations, they ban you and remove your post" thing too.

CPS2

DryEyeRelief said:
Well there's that and the whole, "If you post about their citations, they ban you and remove your post" thing too.

Yeah, that was exactly what happened with this one video... you had people calling EH out, and people defending them, so they just delete all the negative comments and ban everyone, so all that's left is people saying how great EH is =/. So to the average person it looks like an orginal EH video and heaps of positive comments. Pretty much everything on their youtube channel is stolen though. There might be a couple of videos they made themselves, maybe.

That's all I'll say, cos almost everyone here seems to know they're shady anyway =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom