• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4Us

"the controversial Super and Ultra combos made a comeback"

What, did they disappear from Vanilla for a couple months or something?

Axis

Degen said:
So did the counter ultras ever get changed in any way?

fei's recovers a bit faster in AE...at least i think i remember reading that in the changes.

i'm not sure about cammy's...hoping it follows along the same lines and recovers a bit quicker(58 frame recovery)

hitsugi

XenoRaven said:
I was playing SFIV iPhone today and CPU Viper did EX Seismo > SJC > Flame Kick > Ultra on me. I was like wtf?
You should see the shit that CPU magneto, storm and rogue put together in mvc2 sometimes :p ssf4 viper likes to do ex seismo SJC U2

XenoRaven

I'm just always surprised when I see stuff like that on the iPhone version. Had to get old school and hit cr lk x2 > EX Legs > Ultra to finish her off.

hitsugi said:
If not now, an AE home thread should definitely be created when the console versions hit. I'm sure someones going to make an AE thread soon regardless of where it ends up.

Looking forward to watching the sako vs kindevu matches after work. At some point I'm assuming we see a Rufus vs Cammy set..

But we just got this new thread! :lol

God's Beard said:
Why do all the effects in SSF4 look so damn cool in screen shots and slow motion, but not so cool during gameplay?

http://i44.tinypic.com/33lnng8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Would be cool if we had a photo mode like GT5 did.

the_log_ride said:
Would be cool if we had a photo mode like GT5 did.
or hell, at least a photo mode like Tekken 3 PS3 does.
Dat XMB functionality.

Jaggy framebuffers aren't as nice as supersampled GT5 goodness, but it's better than nothing!

Degen

Axis said:
fei's recovers a bit faster in AE...at least i think i remember reading that in the changes.

i'm not sure about cammy's...hoping it follows along the same lines and recovers a bit quicker(58 frame recovery)
Well, at least that's something... Maybe we'll discover some new properties as we go.

Can't imagine that they spent a ton of time testing the move out due to its current "WARNING: DO NOT USE" status.

N4Us

Blanka is so ridiculously easy to get to C that you could play with your feet and get C Rank in an hour.

edit: To seem less braggy, I'll just say that if you can do the Blanka-hop, you've won already.

Degen said:
Well, at least that's something... Maybe we'll discover some new properties as we go.

Can't imagine that they spent a ton of time testing the move out due to its current "WARNING: DO NOT USE" status.

It's really good in certain matchups, like Viper or Rufus.

eissan

N4Us said:
Blanka is so ridiculously easy to get to C that you could play with your feet and get C Rank in an hour.

edit: To seem less braggy, I'll just say that if you can do the Blanka-hop, you've won already.

I remember the old snes days where I would play my friends playing blanka one handed on the snes controller and winning with just spamming HP and blanka balls :D man those were the good old days

eissan said:
I remember the old snes days where I would play my friends playing blanka one handed on the snes controller and winning with just spamming HP and blanka balls :D man those were the good old days

7GDIJ.png

black_vegeta said:
If anyone wants to see 45 minutes of Mago (Sagat) vs GamerBee (Adon) casuals that occurred after Shadowloo Showdown...hurr you go.

http://shoryuken.com/content/super-street-fighter-4-mago-sagat-vs-gamerbee-adon-casual-set-2780/

Note: Camera angle blows, but gameplay is super duper high level.

Wow. Gamerbee is legit. Momochi, Tokido and Momochi (and Gamerinn online). The game is definitely about matchups. If you don't know it, prepare to get blown up.

It's too bad Capcom isn't doing another national tournament. It would be awesome if they had it in Korea, Europe, Japan and North America. The top 16 players get to wage war in an international tournament.

The Mike Ross video was hilarious.

MVC 3 looks awesome. The models seem a little low poly compared to IV (and even that wasn't OMG) but with the effects, multiple characters, it looks awesome.

kitzkozan

Spiderjericho said:
MVC 3 looks awesome. The models seem a little low poly compared to IV (and even that wasn't OMG) but with the effects, multiple characters, it looks awesome.

MvC 3 definitively has potential,even if you really can't expect 10 years of high level play since it happened by mistake. :lol

I expect a game where the "craziness" is under control of the game engine,with a better balance between the tiers.I'm gonna invest myself in it far more than MvC 2 since it seems easier to play and a little slower (and it does look awesome,I really like how the TvC engine look).

kitzkozan said:
MvC 3 definitively has potential,even if you really can't expect 10 years of high level play since it happened by mistake. :lol

I expect a game where the "craziness" is under control of the game engine,with a better balance between the tiers.I'm gonna invest myself in it far more than MvC 2 since it seems easier to play and a little slower (and it does look awesome,I really like how the TvC engine look).

Yeah, I never really played MVC2. I can't do any of that Magneto or other infinite stuff. I prefer the footsies, etc of SF (and the middle ground of KOF). But I definitely want to give this game a try. I like the graphics, characters. And TVC didn't seem as crazy as MVC2.

I think the Steve H comments from last week's WakeupSRK will probably apply to this game too and might affect longevity with the top players. It seems like Capcom is "easyfying" their games.

Spiderjericho said:
Yeah, I never really played MVC2. I can't do any of that Magneto or other infinite stuff. I prefer the footsies, etc of SF (and the middle ground of KOF). But I definitely want to give this game a try. I like the graphics, characters. And TVC didn't seem as crazy as MVC2.

I think the Steve H comments from last week's WakeupSRK will probably apply to this game too and might affect longevity with the top players. It seems like Capcom is "easyfying" their games.

I'm like you. I'm more into the footsies aspect of Street Fighter rather than marvel hype.

Spiderjericho said:

Steve H is a good player, but... man, he was just outright wrong in a lot of things he said. His mentality is terrible, and just a cancer for the community. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to believe what he said just because he happens to be a semi-accomplished player talking in front of a camera.

kitzkozan

FindMyFarms said:
Steve H is a good player, but... man, he was just outright wrong in a lot of things he said. His mentality is terrible, and just a cancer for the community. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to believe what he said just because he happens to be a semi-accomplished player talking in front of a camera.

Except that he's not the only one thinking this about SSFIV. :p

I heard that a lot of top players just keep crapping on the game,including Justin Wong who will lie when he's been interviewed about it (perhaps this is what Kadey was hinting at when she said there were plenty of haters/politics in the community.Heck,someone on youtube was saying that Wong told him in person that SSFIV was complete ass in that tournament in philadelphia and isn't Kadey living in that city?).

Wong: I think SSF IV AE is an improvement over super,it's a solid game and blah blah blah...

Wong at a tournament and knowing he's not been filmed or recorded:SSFIV AE is complete ass.Heck,I was under the impression that Valle liked the game and it seems I was wrong,but then again I'm not attending those tournaments so this is all rumors.

At least Steve H is no hypocrite...

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Really dude? His mentality is a cancer for the community? What is he saying that is so terrible & cancerous? From what I have seen you write about Capcom, and what he was saying about SSF4, I saw a lot of commonalities. Sounded to me like he was just not feeling the game and gave his reasons why, but I didn't find anything he said worthy of being labeled cancerous or indicative of a terrible mentality.

Dude just favors SNK games (which I will concede, those are terrible), and gave his opinion as such. Don't really think there was much for someone to believe and take as gospel, it was more or less do you agree with him or not. I like SSF4 and I still found myself agreeing with a lot of his points. I don't really see what he said that was terrible or cancerous though, that seems a bit harsh.

kitzkozan said:
Except that he's not the only one thinking this about SSFIV. :p

Yeah, of course more than one person can share an opinion. I'm not going to bother name dropping, but more top players disagree with him (wong included, not sure where you heard otherwise) than agree.

Steve H said there's not footsies in SF4 when matter of fact, that is the strongest trait that the majority of top players posess. Mago, Momochi, Daigo, Valle, Wong, Ricky O, Vangief, Champ(to an extent) all have phenomenal footsies, and that's one of the things that separates them from the rest.

Steve H complained about shortcuts make his execution garbage. Which is funny, because all shortcuts do is present a different input for you to get what you want. If you can't do what you want, then your execution IS garbage. I have absolutely no problem doing what I want in SF4.

Steve H complained about people mashing out reversals. That's so ironic coming from a CvS2 player, where the mashing equivalent is when A-groove players would tap activate in between every single poke (kind of like throw teching in sf4) and if they got something successful, they'd net 80% damage. Also people that complain about mashing are mainly people that don't like having to READ what their opponent is doing on defense. They just want to be able to press buttons on them for free without having to worry about the opponent being able to do what they want. They don't want to outplay someone rather they'd have the other person be overwhelmed by a system mechanic that prevents them from actually playing the game. You look at a game like ST where you know EXACTLY what your opponent is going to do in a throw loop, but are helpless to do anything due to 1 frame reversals or you being a charge character. You're not getting out played, you're just being dicked by the system. A somewhat wide reversal window lets you do what you want in response to the other player at all times.

Satyamdas said:
Really dude? His mentality is a cancer for the community? What is he saying that is so terrible & cancerous? From what I have seen you write about Capcom, and what he was saying about SSF4, I saw a lot of commonalities. Sounded to me like he was just not feeling the game and gave his reasons why, but I didn't find anything he said worthy of being labeled cancerous or indicative of a terrible mentality.

Dude just favors SNK games (which I will concede, those are terrible), and gave his opinion as such. Don't really think there was much for someone to believe and take as gospel, it was more or less do you agree with him or not. I like SSF4 and I still found myself agreeing with a lot of his points. I don't really see what he said that was terrible or cancerous though, that seems a bit harsh.

The main problem I have with capcom is their balancing approach. I like the mechanics of sf4, and balancing issues aside, I love the game. Steve H's beef with capcom is his belief that they made the mechanics scrub friendly. He takes a holier than though attitude, and in instead of coming to grips with the game (or accepting that it's different) he just becomes condescending. It's a trite OG player mentality trip, and something I can't stand. I think the scene is bolstered more so by the new players than the OG's at this point, and with that respect they're just as important.

The cancerous bit is because people see his video, and then everyone starts thinking, "oh this game IS for scrubs, you can't even do footsies!" etc. etc. I witnessed this first hand at a recent tourney I went to. Then, instead of players trying to better themselves, they just blame the mechanics, which they find acceptable since they saw someone say the same things on youtube.

Do I think it will catch fire? Not really, but it doesn't change the fact that I think it's a bad attitude.

/long rant

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
The main problem I have with capcom is their balancing approach. I like the mechanics of sf4, and balancing issues aside, I love the game. Steve H's beef with capcom is his belief that they made the mechanics scrub friendly. He takes a holier than though attitude, and in instead of coming to grips with the game (or accepting that it's different) he just becomes condescending. It's a trite OG player mentality trip, and something I can't stand. I think the scene is bolstered more so by the new players than the OG's at this point, and with that respect they're just as important.

The cancerous bit is because people see his video, and then everyone starts thinking, "oh this game IS for scrubs, you can't even do footsies!" etc. etc. I witnessed this first hand at a recent tourney I went to. Then, instead of players trying to better themselves, they just blame the mechanics, which they find acceptable since they saw someone say the same things on youtube.

Do I think it will catch fire? Not really, but it doesn't change the fact that I think it's a bad attitude.

/long rant
His interview video has 2,000 views. I seriously doubt even 1% of those views turned people from "I like SSF4 :D" into "WTF this game is for non-footsie playing scrubs!! D:". Even if 100% of the people who saw it bought into his opinions, that is less than a drop in the bucket of all the players currently playing SSF4.

More likely, everyone who watched the interview remained firm in their own view of the game and took his comments as one man's opinion and kept it moving. If there is no chance of his opinion gaining traction, then it is a pretty huge stretch to call his mentality cancer for the community.

Satyamdas said:
His interview video has 2,000 views. I seriously doubt even 1% of those views turned people from "I like SSF4 :D" into "WTF this game is for non-footsie playing scrubs!! D:". Even if 100% of the people who saw it bought into his opinions, that is less than a drop in the bucket of all the players currently playing SSF4.

More likely, everyone who watched the interview remained firm in their own view of the game and took his comments as one man's opinion and kept it moving. If there is no chance of his opinion gaining traction, then it is a pretty huge stretch to call his mentality cancer for the community.

Yeah, I agree the man isn't gonna be starting a religion or anything, but the thing is that there are other people with that opinion, and the extent of their influence doesn't change my view on the merit of their opinion.

N4Us said:

Haha, he's "trash talked" every game out there then.

Satyamdas

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
The main problem I have with capcom is their balancing approach. I like the mechanics of sf4, and balancing issues aside, I love the game. Steve H's beef with capcom is his belief that they made the mechanics scrub friendly.
With reversal windows wide enough to drive a Mack truck through, an input system that is the most lenient in any SF game ever, DP's that can trade into Super and Ultra, etc., I have a hard time not seeing the game mechanics being scrub friendly. Does that mean scrubs will stand toe-to-toe with Justin/Mago/Daigo, etc? Of course not, and I doubt Steve would argue that it does.

But I don't find that sentiment too different from:

FindMyFarms said:
Capcom's balancing the game for the average, outspoken player because that's the audience that has gotten them the success they currently have. Thats why the "annoying" things that kill scrubs (like seth jump fierce, gief vortex, etc.) have been taking out of the game. This is also by no means my own personal opinion, no further comment.
Since you are clearly saying that Capcom is balancing the game for scrubs, why is it so hard to believe that the mechanics are also geared toward scrubs? Especially given the input system and reversal window?

kitzkozan

FindMyFarms said:
Haha, he's "trash talked" every game out there then.

Watch him trash talk SF IV once it's out of the EVO roster. :lol

By the way,I just heard that Wong was saying to random people that SSFIV was ass at NEC,but off the record of course. :p Although I can't confirm anything as I just don't have the time to invest myself in FG seriously and thus don't attend tournaments.

SUPARSTARX

See you New Yorkers at Chinatown fair this weekend or next weekend if Cen gets SSF4:AE up and running.

Look out for the 6' Asian w/glasses and Ryu headband (srs):lol

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
SUPARSTARX said:
See you New Yorkers at Chinatown fair this weekend or next weekend if Cen gets SSF4:AE up and running.

Look out for the 6' Asian w/glasses and Ryu headband (srs):lol

wwwwwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa???????

FindMyFarms said:
I have absolutely no problem doing what I want in SF4.
Can you do kara tiger shots consistently without getting uppercuts?

FindMyFarms said:
Steve H's beef with capcom is his belief that they made the mechanics scrub friendly.

It's not his belief, Ono said so when he was making Vanilla. He said he'd hope that new players drawn in would be able to graduate to a tournament-level game like 3rd Strike. The whole point of the game is to revitalize Capcom's fighting game dominance of the 90s. Then, Marvel hits for another fan boost, then they start bringing back games that are a little more intense, like SFIII:3sOE.

It's funny how things have changed from our perspectives from the early years compared to now

SF2 to SF2 Turbo: Wow, now we can play the bosses and the characters can move really fast

Turbo to Super: Wow, four new characters, OMG

Super to Super Turbo: Wow, everybody has a Super move and there is a new boss character called Akuma

Several years later

SF4 to SSF4: Damn it, no trade Ultra for Ryu, nerfs everywhere. Oh yeah there are new characters, but I don't give a shit

SSF4 to AE: More nerfs, WTF man. Now I can't air tatsu out of corners now, fucking Capcom. Oh but there is Evil Ryu, my interest is piqued.

Basically to sum it up, I had no idea there were even balance changes when I was a little kid playing the SF series. All I know is that Ryu got a red fireball and Ken could do a flaming dragon punch. The changes to the characters moves, damage, and so on, I was clueless about. Now I get mad hype/salty for balance changes :lol

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Rice-Eater said:
It's funny how things have changed from our perspectives from the early years compared to now

SF2 to SF2 Turbo: Wow, now we can play the bosses and the characters can move really fast

Turbo to Super: Wow, four new characters, OMG

Super to Super Turbo: Wow, everybody has a Super move and there is a new boss character called Akuma

Several years later

SF4 to SSF4: Damn it, no trade Ultra for Ryu, nerfs everywhere. Oh yeah there are new characters, but I don't give a shit

SSF4 to AE: More nerfs, WTF man. Now I can't air tatsu out of corners now, fucking Capcom. Oh but there is Evil Ryu, my interest is piqued.

Basically to sum it up, I had no idea there were even balance changes when I was a little kid playing the SF series. All I know is that Ryu got a red fireball and Ken could do a flaming dragon punch. The changes to the characters moves, damage, and so on, I was clueless about. Now I get mad hype/salty for balance changes :lol
Karate Champ to SF2 - WOOOOW I can combine moves!!!

Capcom did the same ish in the old games. In CE, Dictator had the evil chip damage with Psycho Crusher. In Hyper, nerfed. Boxer had a redizzy combo in CE. Hyper nerfed. In OG SFII, Zangief could repeatedly SPD you because he didn't bounce back. CE nerfed. Ken/Ryu and Guile had wicked redizzies in SFII. CE Nerfed.

The only thing Capcom doesn't seem to be doing is adding new moves or changing move properties in between each iteration like when they released Hyper, Super or ST SFII.

And Floe made a pretty good point on wakeupsrk, with the community, especially the older players, they liked the games with unfair b.s. like MVC2, TS, etc. He even goes onto say he prefers Vanilla over Super, simply because of the damage and b.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom