• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
someone just told me some ssf4 ae stream is going on somewhere? uhh...

i also heard that hondas ex headbutt travel distance got reduced drastically. take this with a grain of salt.

DryEyeRelief said:
And what Steve H meant was that a lot of the newer street fighter 4 original characters are designed around mixups and shenanigans, rather than having decent pokes to play with....so it's like they're playing an entirely different game vs the average ryu/chun li player. And he's right.

Of the new characters in AE, super, and vanilla console, this does not apply. That statement really only holds true for Abel, Rufus, Fuerte, and Viper. All new, but they make a pretty small % of the cast. When he said that it came off like a blanket statement for the whole game. Outside of those, a good majority of the cast is pretty traditional with regards to ground game and footsies.

gutabo

haunts said:
someone just told me some ssf4 ae stream is going on somewhere? uhh...

i also heard that hondas ex headbutt travel distance got reduced drastically. take this with a grain of salt.
Stream??? where man, where?

Also I heard the same thing about ex HB, seems like the range now is lil bit less than mp HB. No more going through sim's yoga fire with ex HB? :( Well there's still hp HB, but the beauty of the ex version in that situation was that it could be done on reaction, unlike hp HB(which you had to pretty much guess).

FindMyFarms said:
Of the new characters in AE, super, and vanilla console, this does not apply. That statement really only holds true for Abel, Rufus, Fuerte, and Viper. All new, but they make a pretty small % of the cast. When he said that it came off like a blanket statement for the whole game. Outside of those, a good majority of the cast is pretty traditional with regards to ground game and footsies.

You only need a couple of characters to ruin a game. Ask Haunts about Guile. And I don't think anyone who dislikes those characters care about Juri, Deejay or Gen lacking dumb shit like step kick into free mixup or instant divekicks. You still have to deal with the fuckers that do.

I'd also add Seth and Cammy (don't hit me) to your list.

edit: it makes sense why steve focused on those characters specifically because that's what sf4 originally brought to the table. like how he talked about the focus attack. everyone else are just characters carried over from previous SF games.

USD

Acqua still going in hard, from 2 hours ago:

Ikc37.jpg

"Fei Long's strong."

Top tier strong?

USD

_dementia said:
Doesn't look too bad to me. Remember than when a character's health drops below 25%, additional damage scaling kicks in, so perhaps that's the issue.
There's definitely scaling, but at that range, you're only losing about ~5-10% of the normal damage.

USD

Acqua noticed that he suddenly got a bunch of followers today, a lot of them gaijin. :lol

-"Ibuki and Rose are totally nerfed. Sagat might have a future. Since Yun is definitely strong, strong players will notice and try hopping on the bandwagon."

Haneyama thinks that Chun is about the same as ever. DF+LK still works just as well as before, and while st.MP only does 60 damage, with how good it was, what else could you expect? Both Acqua and Haneyama think that Yun is good.

DryEyeRelief said:
that's not what he said. stay free jericho.

Ha, ha. What is this lingo? Is this hipster for mistaken? Floe said that the games with the slight b.s. like MVC2 and Tekken 3 versus the completely balanced are the ones some tend to think are more fun or last a long time (MVC2...). He was discussing why he might play MVC3.

hitsugi

_dementia said:
This is great to hear. I really want to hope Yun and Yang aren't trash.

well yeah.. I think we knew they were going to be solid characters when we first got sight of them. The following report with Mago and (I forget) also helped boost the twins' reputation, and now the arcade scene will determine how good they really are

waiting on console announcements is pretty sad, though. I can't believe they haven't really touched on the topic of a release date.. at all.

hitsugi said:
well yeah.. I think we knew they were going to be solid characters when we first got sight of them. The following report with Mago and (I forget) also helped boost the twins' reputation, and now the arcade scene will determine how good they really are

waiting on console announcements is pretty sad, though. I can't believe they haven't really touched on the topic of a release date.. at all.
Tokido

Yeah I know what you're saying, but remember the prerelease hype for Dudley? I'd like the twins to be major tournament winning good.

simtmb

Yeah, hopefully a console announcement is soon enough. I doubt anywhere near my area I'll be able to play this. So here's hoping :D

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
Tokido

Yeah I know what you're saying, but remember the prerelease hype for Dudley? I'd like the twins to be major tournament winning good.
yea the game wasn't even out yet and tier lists were up saying dudley and ibuki were top tier.

LakeEarth

_dementia said:
Well with Dudley, we didn't know that his uppercuts were ultra-stuffable, unlike Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sagat. So when we heard meterless uppercut into ultra, we assumed the worst. We also didn't know swingback blow completely blows in this game.

Spiderjericho said:
Floe said that the games with the slight b.s. like MVC2 and Tekken 3 versus the completely balanced are the ones some tend to think are more fun or last a long time (MVC2...). He was discussing why he might play MVC3.

B.S. characters are not appealing because they're unfair. It's because they usually have the most fleshed out options to inspire player creativity and prevent linear fights.

LakeEarth said:
Well with Dudley, we didn't know that his uppercuts were ultra-stuffable, unlike Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sagat. So when we heard meterless uppercut into ultra, we assumed the worst. We also didn't know swingback blow completely blows in this game.

Dudley's uppercuts were always shit reversals, though. It's just that there was no way to know that half his shit would be killed in the transition. They neutered all his normals' hitboxes and just made everything link together. He's a completely different character style than 3rd Strike. He doesn't have the mixup potential anymore, he's just a bully.

Whooo, short swing blow doesn't do anything, but you can super cancel target combo 8 now! YAY!
Cross Counter still takes full damage and whiffs all the time, but now it can be broken by all kinds of attacks! YAY!
We're bringing back the rose, but it doesn't do chip damage and you can't move while it's out, and the animation is 3 times as long! YAY!
Thunderbolt has no legitimate use! YAY!
No more cRH resets! YAY!
Ducking has more projectile invincibility, but it's slow as shit! YAY!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
SUPARSTARX said:
See you New Yorkers at Chinatown fair this weekend or next weekend if Cen gets SSF4:AE up and running.

Look out for the 6' Asian w/glasses and Ryu headband (srs):lol

I'll see you there. I'll be the 6'6" hispanic guy wearing a pea coat and a trapper hat. :lol

USD

According to Kiryu Tsukimiya, Guy's cl.MP has about 2 frames less advantage. cl.MP xx MP Hozanto doesn't connect. LP and MP Hozanto have less recovery however, about -1/-2 (up from -2/-4).

DryEyeRelief said:
You only need a couple of characters to ruin a game. Ask Haunts about Guile. And I don't think anyone who dislikes those characters care about Juri, Deejay or Gen lacking dumb shit like step kick into free mixup or instant divekicks. You still have to deal with the fuckers that do.

I'd also add Seth and Cammy (don't hit me) to your list.

edit: it makes sense why steve focused on those characters specifically because that's what sf4 originally brought to the table. like how he talked about the focus attack. everyone else are just characters carried over from previous SF games.

Thats what i saw in that vid also

he seemed to be dogging the SFIV original stuff (focus attack, C. viper's style of play, etc).

FindMyFarms said:
1 - If Sagat was the character I played, no I would not get uppercuts. Would I get it 100% of the time? No, but no one gets anything %100 of the time. Wong missed st. short -> st. fierce sometimes with rufus, and that doesn't even have anything to do with sf4 stuff.

Have you tried to do kara tiger shots? It's the most bullshit input in the game. And don't tell me that SF4 inputs work right if you don't have a character with back and forward motions on every button. Fuck auto correct.

FindMyFarms said:
2 - Funny enough, they made a much better tournament game with SF4 than they did with 3s :p

If being more friendly to new players and having an easier learning curve makes this a better tournament game than 3rd Strike, then Dead or Alive is better than Virtua Fighter.

This game is just third strike at half the speed, a quarter of the combo difficulty, no where near the same level of mixups, you can hold down high and low parry for 5 seconds at a time, and everybody gets a chance to take off 40% on reaction for being a worse player than the opponent.

USD said:
-"Ibuki and Rose are totally nerfed. Sagat might have a future. Since Yun is definitely strong, strong players will notice and try hopping on the bandwagon."

Really Capcom, really?
I know she is seen by some in Japan as top tier - don't ask me how - but seriously, some of the nerfs were uncalled for even if on paper some of her bad match ups got a little better. I'll wait for a personal hands on of course but i'm really not looking forward to it plus they added more dive kick characters and the Fei match up looks to be even worse for her now.

_dementia said:
my favorite fighting game is better than your favorite fighting game

Hey, I don't care if people like SF4 better, I just don't think it's made as well for high-level play. Besides, he said that knowing full well how I feel.

simtmb

God's Beard said:
Hey, I don't care if people like SF4 better, I just don't think it's made as well for high-level play. Besides, he said that knowing full well how I feel.

You sound like you care though! Honestly, you just seem upset on Dudley's 3s to SSFIV transition xD

3s, SSFIV. I won't go into specifics and deep discussion, but it's all the same shit to me, still Street Fighter. Die-hard 3s fans will only end up thanking SFIV when 3s-Online hits. We're at a moment where there is a fighter for everyone and i feel strongly that SFIV covers most bases. It's still SF man, you gotta love it! :D

Now we need some AE vids of characters not Fei Long asap. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom