• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

MVC3 is just not as fun for the simple fact of no spec mode. SSF4 was good cause of gafchat. People need to come back and play SF once in a while, I've already got the itching for SF.

NeoUltima

Edgeward said:
MVC3 is just not as fun for the simple fact of no spec mode. SSF4 was good cause of gafchat. People need to come back and play SF once in a while, I've already got the itching for SF.
SF4 still my main game...just gonna focus on Marvel for a couple weeks. I'll be back. I see Marvel as mainly a fun distraction.

Edgeward

NeoUltima said:
SF4 still my main game...just gonna focus on Marvel for a couple weeks. I'll be back. I see Marvel as mainly a fun distraction.

You still got a bodying waiting for you when you come back.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Edgeward said:

yea, i dunno how Capcom drop the ball on this one

I would say GGs Mimic but I got clowned. WTF.

Time to cleanse the palate with BB where my execution isn't all f'ed up. :p

Edit: Yep! Look at that. Moves coming out and I can play based on reaction. Man. . .

USD

Not streamed, but apparently Justin Wong has been blowing it up with Akuma in Super. Wong vs Combojack Grand Finals.

kitzkozan

Rice-Eater said:
That's exactly how I feel, I learned how to play on a stick through SSF4. So transitioning from that to MvC3 feels very strange and awkward. I use to play MvC2 a lot back in the day, but mainly on console using a pad. I somehow feel like I would do better on a pad for MvC3 now even though I'm pretty comfortable using a stick as strange as that sounds.

But anyways, that's not the main reason. I'm just not having much fun playing the game. I like watching the game, but I don't seem to enjoy playing it. Unlike SSF4 which I love watching and playing the game. I don't know, I use to really love playing MvC2, but the magic is gone apparently.

SFIV might be too methodical for it's own good and quite slow,but people must gradually learn how to play the game and improve. Wolfkrone has been putting in the work for 2 years+ to become one if not the best Viper in the US.Guys are just starting to play MvC3 and doing ludicrous stuff because the game engine is so loose.I can already see where MvC3 is heading and I'm worried,unless people can find crazy tactics within the game engine.

I was both amazed and also lost a little bit of respect for the game already when I learned that Wong barely has time to play and he's got an absolute monstrous Wolverine...

kitzkozan said:
SFIV might be too methodical for it's own good and quite slow,but people must gradually learn how to play the game and improve. Wolfkrone has been putting in the work for 2 years+ to become one if not the best Viper in the US.Guys are just starting to play MvC3 and doing ludicrous stuff because the game engine is so loose.I can already see where MvC3 is heading and I'm worried,unless people can find crazy tactics within the game engine.

I was both amazed and also lost a little bit of respect for the game already when I learned that Wong barely has time to play and he's got an absolute monstrous Wolverine...

It's going to seem that way because:
A. No one knows what's going on in marvel just yet. it's the same as justin getting perfects with rufus
B. Winning in marvel is more apparent than it is in sf.

Also the wolfkrone comparison is off. There are a lot of people who are bad at marvel who will get better later. I can use MarlinPie or Ricky Ortiz as examples for sf4 that someone doesn't even need to own a console to be good at it. But that's incorrect.

Satyamdas

Banned
Not to mention that part of what Wolfkrone was building up in those 2+ years was his own defense against other crazy offensive tactics. Would he be half the player he is if another player with crazy mixups could shut him down easily? There are tons of Viper players who can do all of her combos just as well as Wolfkrone or Flash, but they remain mediocre or just average because their defense isn't up to par.

Being fixated on MvC3's huge damage potential is oversimplifying the game to an insane degree. Especially this early on when people are getting hit by simple stuff and basic mixups that they will no doubt adjust to and learn to defend against better as time goes on.

I don't think it's even possible to quantify the amount of mind games or strategic elements in either game to a point where you could say one is "more ___" than the other. Both rely on equal amounts of reaction, execution, knowledge, etc. They are just manifested differently due to the wildly different game engines.

As for MvC3 vs. SSF4, I'm in the same boat as Rice-Eater except I am having fun with the game even if I'm playing at the level of the lowest of the low beginner free scrub super noob. Unlike him, I didn't play MvC2 at all. So my learning curve in MvC3 is going to be infinitely higher than it was for SF4 since I had a solid foundation from the SF2 days. Starting a game like this from scratch is turning out to be even more jarring than I thought it would, but having finally played a vs. game I can easily see their appeal now.

I like MvC3 a lot, but SF will always be my true love. <3. As much as I like SSF4 though, I find myself really enjoying the torture of learning a whole new control scheme, and the different timings and nuances of MvC3's mechanics. It's got my brain juices flowing whereas in SSF4 I have been feeling burnt out recently. I think this combo will work out great as I can spend a good chunk of time learning some fun new shit, and when that gets too frustrating or I need a break, I can go back to SSF4 and the game that was getting a bit long in the tooth can feel fresh again.

my MvC3 process goes like this...

5 hours in training mode

play one online game....get raped

5 mores in training mode

get raped

etc.

god, learning a new fighting can really blow, lol. But it's fun just being at the lab and trying to learn the setups. As opposed to SSFIV, i hate training mode...I do most of my "learning" in actual matches and eat the losses.

USD said:
Not streamed, but apparently Justin Wong has been blowing it up with Akuma in Super. Wong vs Combojack Grand Finals.
Wong playing shotos and Diago playing divekick characters, another sign of the apocalypse?

hitsugi

_dementia said:
Wong playing shotos and Diago playing divekick characters, another sign of the apocalypse?
Or Wong is just bored with as fuck with a game that doesn't really matter anymore

To clarify: this is due to AE being the main SF game that he plays now, with more and more of his time going to mvc3 since everyones playing that 24/7

Duelist

Pandaman said:
iirc, psn gaf was nonstop mak, ibuki and duds so i have to get my trolling quota in incase AE makes those characters not trash.

plus i saw coil not using dat rawg and it worried me.

Don't worry, Ibuki still is and will always be trash. /salty

Also, it seems like there's no one to play SSF4 with on PSN GAF anymore. I is sad. :(

MIMIC

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I would say GGs Mimic but I got clowned. WTF.

Time to cleanse the palate with BB where my execution isn't all f'ed up. :p

Edit: Yep! Look at that. Moves coming out and I can play based on reaction. Man. . .

heh, ggs :)

That damn turtle Rose had to go and ruin my steak. :( Then it was Fuerte time ^_^

Also, I was going for the Endless Battle/Team Lobby achievement last night. 30 lobbies for team battle??? Jeez....does anyone even play that anymore?

Imm0rt4l

I haven't been in gafchat in a little while as this week has been super hectic with school and all. Maybe I'll get some games in this weekend. I haven't really touched mahvel much either.

Degen

*trolls ssf4gaf

hey ssf4gaf

how's that nonstop turtling coming along

s5OD1.jpg

*switches out

Degen said:
*trolls ssf4gaf

hey ssf4gaf

how's that nonstop turtling coming along

*switches out
implying that runaway...sorry sorry "zoning" doesnt dominate the current mvc3 landscape.
justin wong just installed the thought of rushdown being a viable tactic.last night.

MIMIC said:
heh, ggs :)

That damn turtle Rose had to go and ruin my steak. :( Then it was Fuerte time ^_^

I was positive that Rose was the universe punishing you for trolling Rose earlier in the day.

what time are you usually on? I've been staying up too damn late this week.

AkumaHokoru said:
implying that runaway...sorry sorry "zoning" doesnt dominate the current mvc3 landscape.
justin wong just installed the thought of rushdown being a viable tactic.last night.

yeah, and it doesn't look like Sanford's current team isn't working that great for him either. His Chris had a lot of trouble playing keep away.

AkumaHokoru said:
Justin Wong really surprised me. Wasn't he famous for his super lame Storm in MvC2? Good to see him RTSD.

MIMIC

Banned
I was positive that Rose was the universe punishing you for trolling Rose earlier in the day.

what time are you usually on? I've been staying up too damn late this week.

I'm on at different times of the day; it's usually never the same. Last night I just couldn't sleep....and then when I finally got tired, I only had an hour and a half cuz I had to get up for work >_<

MVC3 is a strictly offline game for me, SSF4 is mostly offline with some online.

last night at the cencal session, it was still more super than marvel, i played more super. still trying to figure out my style in mvc3, i think im lame, so im gonna lame it out with zoning and mix in some rush.

but SSF4 is still my king.

last night i tried to focus attack during marvel and i tried to call in an assist in Super. The transition has gotten better after a few games.

EraldoCoil said:
MVC3 is a strictly offline game for me, SSF4 is mostly offline with some online.

last night at the cencal session, it was still more super than marvel, i played more super. still trying to figure out my style in mvc3, i think im lame, so im gonna lame it out with zoning and mix in some rush.

but SSF4 is still my king.

last night i tried to focus attack during marvel and i tried to call in an assist in Super. The transition has gotten better after a few games.

Jealous you have a community to play with. I mean, I'm from so SoCal so it's not like there's any shortage of people down here, but I have trouble with reaching out to some of the locals here and saying, "sup can I join in?"

hitsugi

Well i'm from so cal and I've known every top player out here for like 12 years now so.. If you want to join some meet ups let me know or you could always just post on the SRK threads / hit up family fun

People are already too good in MVC3. I wasnt interested to begin with, now i'm definately not. Played some really great matches today already, but was pretty salty after losing twice to some scrubby adon. Man he does a lot of damage quickly.

the_log_ride said:
Jealous you have a community to play with. I mean, I'm from so SoCal so it's not like there's any shortage of people down here, but I have trouble with reaching out to some of the locals here and saying, "sup can I join in?"

i love the gaf community with all my heart, you guys are the fucking best! tons of awesome times.

but real talk, if you want to hit up offline communities, and meet people to travel with to tournes and shit, you really gotta hit up SRK. if i didn't hit up SRK i woulda never found out about our local scene. already met a lot of awesome people and players.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Random for life...

There is only one person out of like 30 on my friends list playing SFIV now that MVC3 is out. Also a bunch of offline friends are picking it up. They'll be back. The game definitely needs spectator mode asap.

Solune

Duelist said:
Usually late night. Around 10pm-3am EST.

Add me Duelist! Get those Canadian matches in. I'm suffering from the lack of MvC3 so my only resort is to play SF in the mean time. Or I'll just see you in GAFchat.

Edgeward

So I'm gonna head to AI tomorrow to get some AE time, first time going to a proper arcade since I was a kid to play a fighting game and not some rail shooter. Hopefully the line isn't too long cause I want to get as much AE Cammy time as possible. And I hope I remember all the new possibilities she can do with combos now and don't resort to old habits/combos.

I also I hope I don't get blown up but I would not count on that.

I think my MvC3 experiment is over now. I spent a few hours playing online against some locals. And I just had enough and told them I was going to hop on SSF4, not to play anybody, just training mode. I enjoy SSF4 training mode more then competitive MVC3 matches. The only things I'm truly excited about are SSF4: AE and Street Fighter x Tekken(AE more though since I'm not a fan of team fighters). So basically for you guys playing MvC3, if you ever feel like coming back to SSF4, I'll be around, late at night though.

Edgeward said:
So I'm gonna head to AI tomorrow to get some AE time, first time going to a proper arcade since I was a kid to play a fighting game and not some rail shooter. Hopefully the line isn't too long cause I want to get as much AE Cammy time as possible. And I hope I remember all the new possibilities she can do with combos now and don't resort to old habits/combos.

I may do the same with a friend. Except we have to drive all the way to Nashville, TN(6 hour drive) to get some AE play time. We're both shoto players to so if that arcade doesn't have Oni and Evil Ryu unlocked, we'll be pretty disappointed. But still, I hope we can try AE in the arcades at least once before it comes out on console.

MIMIC said:
I'm on at different times of the day; it's usually never the same. Last night I just couldn't sleep....and then when I finally got tired, I only had an hour and a half cuz I had to get up for work >_<

Cleveland, insomnia. It's how we roll. :p

Edgeward said:

there's an AE tournament at AI on the 20th, you should sign up, it's a 64 man cap.

i'll prolly be going, depends on if i can ride with samurai and chow.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Probably gonna give this game a rest until AE stuff comes out. Even though I'm completely horrible at it, MvC3 came out at a good time because I'm pretty sick of SF4. Love SF4, but yeah, time for something different for a good long while.

I'm probably gonna pick the game back up again after a few months and try to throw dudes with f+hp and be all like fuuuuuuu.

MIMIC

Banned
Cleveland, insomnia. It's how we roll. :p

Haha. Maybe it was the Laker's game that was in my mind :)

Today I got so bitter when a dumb Ryu beat me and then left...like they did something so impressive and I'm too unworthy of a rematch or something. So, I found his ass, played him again, beat him and was gonna leave just to spite him. Turns out he left before I could ^_^

They know it was a fluke and decide not to push their luck.

MIMIC said:
Haha. Maybe it was the Laker's game that was in my mind :)

Today I got so bitter when a dumb Ryu beat me and then left...like they did something so impressive and I'm too unworthy of a rematch or something. So, I found his ass, played him again, beat him and was gonna leave just to spite him. Turns out he left before I could ^_^

They know it was a fluke and decide not to push their luck.

You're in luck, I'm too stupid to rage quit.

Though I'm getting fed up with the netcode in this game making me look like a bigger chump than I am. :\

Going to stick with BlazBlue:CS for a couple days to psychologically de-douche my online fighting expectations.

Kimosabae

Banned
Marvel 3 has actually given me a new appreciation for SSF4. This implies nothing negative regarding MvC3 - I actually like the game way more than I expected to.

It's just nice to have two popular and completely different Capcom fighting games to play. Makes it really feel as though fighting games are back.

I'm actually more committed to SSF4, since I'm more focused whenever I hit the Training Mode. SSF4 is a good game, but it's mechanics can make it highly frustrating. Now, when I get frustrated with SSF4, I can hit the Marvel training room instead, have fun executing crazy shit, and forget about the dropped Meterless FADC Ultra that cost me a match in Ranked.

I don't simply train out of habit like I used to - I'm more focused on what I'm practicing because I know I need to squeeze that Marvel training in.

I fucking love it. Fighting games are back. This is such a great feeling.

Rocwell

I think I've played less than 10 matches online of MVC3 since the game came out despite spending a ton of time with the game in training/mission/arcade mode. I think I'm finally getting an idea for what I want my team to be now too. I'm enjoying learning the new game system right now, but I'll be back to Super sooner or later no doubt.

Rocwell said:
I think I've played less than 10 matches online of MVC3 since the game came out despite spending a ton of time with the game in training/mission/arcade mode. I think I'm finally getting an idea for what I want my team to be now too. I'm enjoying learning the new game system right now, but I'll be back to Super sooner or later no doubt.
I'm right there with you. I've been in mission/training since launch, trying to wrap my brain/fingers around it.

When i popped back in SSFIV, i realized how much i took the game for granted. It's at the same time so much more simple and so much more complex.

Still enjoying learning MVC3 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom