• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitokage said:
TToB's version of SSF4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3SNj9_LE9Y

Edit: Beaten like a chump!

Haha - obviously I'd want to see the move timing and damage tweaked accordingly. However that's a hilarious video.

SlamLOL said:
Variety?

Some people prefer that style, as well.

Variety doesn't strike me as a particularly valid counterpoint when the character could be tweaked to accomodate a new input command. Similar to how Sagat got overhauled going from Vanilla to Hokan Edition.

Wasn't Ono the one making like Barbie with the "Charge characters are haaaard"? At this point charge commands are just a legacy player concession, and seeing as how Capcom is appealing to a broader audience with the changes they made to the 4 series, it doesn't strike me as such a stretch that charge moves could be re-assigned to different inputs and the characters rebalanced so we don't end up with PC hacks Guile.

Not to mention as a Hokan player, that Guile video isn't too different from my average match experience with any given projectile character. :D

phage

Neo Member
SlamLOL said:
Variety?

Some people prefer that style, as well.

I definitely prefer it. Chun-li in 3S feels really weird to me because she only has one charge-able special but she fits like a glove in 2 or 4. It helps me be more defensive minded and in the case of SF4, shortcuts do not get in my way and cost me games which is so often the case with characters that have a DP-style or qcf-motion sort of attack.

rCIZZLE

Anybody know if Guile's fk fadc u2 is still doable in AE? I'm trying to learn it but if it's just going to be removed then I'm not going to bother.

simtmb

rCIZZLE said:
Anybody know if Guile's fk fadc u2 is still doable in AE? I'm trying to learn it but if it's just going to be removed then I'm not going to bother.

It works but the damage is far less as Guiles max U2 damage is 300 in AE (420 in Super IIRC), and along with the damage nerfs to his flashkick AND general meter building with Sonic booms, it's hardly worth it in AE unless if you know that it'd end a match/round i guess..

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
TToB, once a scrub always a scrub. :p

Charge characters were actually created for those who COULDN'T do fireball and dragon punch motions.

simtmb said:
It works but the damage is far less as Guiles max U2 damage is 300 in AE (420 in Super IIRC), and along with the damage nerfs to his flashkick AND general meter building with Sonic booms, it's hardly worth it in AE unless if you know that it'd end a match/round i guess..
Was there a reason why his U2 was damage-nerfed? Seemed pretty pointless.

Update on the ChinaTown Fair situation:

Joystiq said:
Yesterday morning, Twitter was littered with folks trying to find out more information about the status of legendary New York City arcade Chinatown Fair. "#ChinatownFair" hashtags in-tow, rumor and speculation of the tweeters held that the arcade could be closing by the end of this week, with other reports stating March or later -- as it turns out, the arcade may not be closing at all. "I'm trying to see if I can relocate my business," owner Samuel Palmer told Joystiq last night.

According to Palmer, negotiations are still ongoing with his landlord -- a situation brought on by a failure to renew Palmer's previous lease agreement. "Samuel Palmer -- I'm not too sure if he had the lease renewed. So the landlord has an interest in raising the rent, and I guess he doesn't wanna pay it," manager Valentino Ventura told us, adding, "There is a possibility -- a remote possibility -- that we may be moving elsewhere. But we'll see how that goes. We plan to stay here."

Ventura further specified in a Facebook post that "[Chinatown Fair] may be relocating to Williamsburg, Brooklyn if disputes with the landlord are not settled" -- a notable move for an arcade that's been in operation on Mott Street in Lower Manhattan since at least the 1950s. But Ventura's not worried. He says that "the place makes plenty of money," and makes sure to point out, "We love our customers."

For now, Palmer is in ongoing negotiations for the store to stay put. And, at least for now, it's not going anywhere.

Source

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
DryEyeRelief said:

Tsk tks such bad words... learn to live in a community...

Its obvious you and me don't see eye to eye, so i'll do this forum a favor and I'll ignore your posts from now on...ahh the good ole days of mirc when you could just ghost someone from your screen ;p.

Edit: There is an ignore list... ah perfect! Gaf always comes through ;)!

zlatko

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Haha - obviously I'd want to see the move timing and damage tweaked accordingly. However that's a hilarious video.

Variety doesn't strike me as a particularly valid counterpoint when the character could be tweaked to accomodate a new input command. Similar to how Sagat got overhauled going from Vanilla to Hokan Edition.

Wasn't Ono the one making like Barbie with the "Charge characters are haaaard"? At this point charge commands are just a legacy player concession, and seeing as how Capcom is appealing to a broader audience with the changes they made to the 4 series, it doesn't strike me as such a stretch that charge moves could be re-assigned to different inputs and the characters rebalanced so we don't end up with PC hacks Guile.

Not to mention as a Hokan player, that Guile video isn't too different from my average match experience with any given projectile character. :D

Is there a reason you're spelling Hakan that way?

Variety = what makes fighting games fun. If everyone played the same or had the same number of moves available it'd be a much more stale and narrow experience.

I am a more of a new fighting game player and I think charge characters more than have their place in SF. Not sure what your fighting game history is, but it just makes sense to keep the characters consistent in the franchise. I love that Guile only has 2 moves and an air throw, yet is one of the best characters because he fits the fight style for people who like to focus on just the basics to succeed.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Tsk tks such bad words... learn to live in a community...

Its obvious you and me don't see eye to eye, so i'll do this forum a favor and I'll ignore your posts from now on...ahh the good ole days of mirc when you could just ghost someone from your screen ;p.

Edit: There is an ignore list... ah perfect! Gaf always comes through ;)!

Have it your way. It'll be easier for me to continue to make you look bad.

Noob post, don't crucify me.

Owned SFIV, had an immense amount of fun just screwing around, button mashing with friends. Have a little history with SSF2, SF Alpha 3 and SF EX3 on previous platforms. Never got serious though, again, just messed around in matches with my brother/friends.

Picked up SSFIV real cheap online a week ago, and after following this thread for quite some time, I feel compelled to (at least try to) get good.

Any starting tips?! I'm doing the Challenges, but even those feel tough, like I've missed some basics.

You lot using the standard controllers, or have you gone with the official pads and other peripherals?

zlatko

Banned
-Deadpool- said:

Owned SFIV, had an immense amount of fun just screwing around, button mashing with friends. Have a little history with SSF2, SF Alpha 3 and SF EX3 on previous platforms. Never got serious though, again, just messed around in matches with my brother/friends.

Picked up SSFIV real cheap online a week ago, and after following this thread for quite some time, I feel compelled to (at least try to) get good.

Any starting tips?! I'm doing the Challenges, but even those feel tough, like I've missed some basics.

You lot using the standard controllers, or have you gone with the official pads and other peripherals?

Most of pro SF Gaf is on a fight stick I'd wager. Really though the controller/stick doesn't make the player. If you can pull off what you want to execute with your character on your controller 99% of the time then you're fine.

Challenges are a good way to up your execution somewhat, but keep in mind a lot of those combos in there aren't practical in a fight.

If you want to get good accept and let it wash over you that you will lose a lot. Do not let it discourage you and really use every single loss as a moment to reflect on okay what worked and what didn't that fight----and why.

A good focus early on is the basics. When to block, what moves you have to stop someone from jumping, your good pokes, simple combos, and learning what your opponent is capable of. The fundamentals can take you really far in this game, more so than being able to hit a 1 frame link combo----a lot of good that'll do if you can't get an opening/set up for it or get demolished the rest of the time.

As long as you are willing to take losses you can learn more from the game. Want to improve your defense? Spend an entire fight doing nothing but blocking and teching throw attempts. Don't even worry about the fact you'll lose, but just see how long you can endure. Get hit by a shoryuken when you jumped in which lead to your loss? Don't jump once for the next 3 games, if you do 3 more games.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but things like that helped me be more comfortable in fights in various situations. Start small and work your way up.

Mœbius

-Deadpool- said:

Welcome! :)

Most here use stick I believe, but I'm sure there are a few pad warriors too. Try a stick by all means if you never have before (probably best to borrow one if possible before investing on a decent stick) - you could find it improves your game, but then again it may not. Ultimately just go with what feels comfortable for you.

My tip is pick one character and focus on him/her. Go through all the trials and spend time in training mode perfecting your basic 'bread and butter' combos. After that see if you can get a friend to play you locally (if not in person then someone who is close enough that the online connection will be good) and ideally someone who maybe has a bit more experience than you and willing to use lots of different characters against you (so you can learn the match ups). Trying to get those combos in a real game against a live opponent, while trying to remember basic things like blocking, spacing, and anti-airs, is overwhelming at first so just concentrate on the basic control of space when you start playing against others, rather than on flashy combos and lots of them. And don't just hit buttons for the hell of hit. If unsure, wait and defend. Go for guaranteed damage, basic combos at the most when you see an opening.

Finally, join PSN* SSFIV gafchat (add one of the regulars like the_log_ride or EraldoCoil and they'll invite you) and get some games in - it's all fun. There's no secret other than to play against real people a lot.

* There are peeps here on XBL too if you don't have a PS3, though not as many from what I know.

Good luck.

vg260

Professor Beef said:
Was there a reason why his U2 was damage-nerfed? Seemed pretty pointless.

Yup. All his million other nerfs should have been punishment enough for being a "good" character in Super. Hardly Vanilla Sagat territory, but the beat him to death with the nerf stick like he was 10x worse. Then they dump in the two S-tier twins to add insult to injury. Bleh. Looks like variety and "reasonable" balancing are going out the window so they can get people to buy the DLC characters by making them easily the best. Not happy with how they're handling things in AE.

vixlar

zlatko said:
Most of pro SF Gaf is on a fight stick I'd wager. Really though the controller/stick doesn't make the player. If you can pull off what you want to execute with your character on your controller 99% of the time then you're fine.

Challenges are a good way to up your execution somewhat, but keep in mind a lot of those combos in there aren't practical in a fight.

If you want to get good accept and let it wash over you that you will lose a lot. Do not let it discourage you and really use every single loss as a moment to reflect on okay what worked and what didn't that fight----and why.

A good focus early on is the basics. When to block, what moves you have to stop someone from jumping, your good pokes, simple combos, and learning what your opponent is capable of. The fundamentals can take you really far in this game, more so than being able to hit a 1 frame link combo----a lot of good that'll do if you can't get an opening/set up for it or get demolished the rest of the time.

As long as you are willing to take losses you can learn more from the game. Want to improve your defense? Spend an entire fight doing nothing but blocking and teching throw attempts. Don't even worry about the fact you'll lose, but just see how long you can endure. Get hit by a shoryuken when you jumped in which lead to your loss? Don't jump once for the next 3 games, if you do 3 more games.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but things like that helped me be more comfortable in fights in various situations. Start small and work your way up.

If there were cookies or something like that in this forum I would give you +1000000.

The only I can add is... when you play online, play to have fun, even if you are in a losing streak. Learn some of the combos and tactics of your opponents...

Threi

notag
2&2 said:
Yup. All his million other nerfs should have been punishment enough for being a "good" character in Super. Hardly Vanilla Sagat territory, but the beat him to death with the nerf stick like he was 10x worse. Then they dump in the two S-tier twins to add insult to injury. Bleh. Looks like variety and "reasonable" balancing are going out the window so they can get people to buy the DLC characters by making them easily the best. Not happy with how they're handling things in AE.
My thoughts exactly. It's kind of why i'm not looking too forward to it, if it is a disc release i don't know if i'm going to buy it.

Even worse is people who are all for it, like "yeah nerf all of them to hell the game is too defensive waaaaah" when offense was already a viable strat. Well I hope you enjoy all of the Yun, Yang, Fei-Long and Makoto.

Imm0rt4l

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm still wondering why we have charge characters in 2011.

Serious question.

Guile (for example) wouldn't be any different if Sonic Boom were QCF and Flash Kick a DP motion. It would still be timed and handled by the presets of the game engine, and it would make using some of his moves with the FADC more effective.

Just given the context of where SF4 is with the game engine, you could most likely safely remove all legacy charge moves and come out with a better play experience for those characters.

All that said, Guile is probably my safest character as there's less room for error with his inputs and the new input softening system. :p

lolwut

Imm0rt4l

noneofexion said:
Anybody got good recommendations for custom soundtrack for SSFIV?

Electronic/beat type stuff, on the darker side (not dance-ish), good fight music?

Artists? Albums? No vocals preferred, they distract me.

I was kinda diggin the music used in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfz7WMryQNs
jack (fare soldi jackette remix)
we once had an empire (jungle fiction remix)

I'm actually looking for music to add to a playlist for ssf as well, mostly instrumental. I just added the H.A.M instrumental, but that's hip hop.

Morris

Disco Devil
noneofexion said:
Anybody got good recommendations for custom soundtrack for SSFIV?

Electronic/beat type stuff, on the darker side (not dance-ish), good fight music?

Artists? Albums? No vocals preferred, they distract me.

This: http://soundcloud.com/surefire/ra198-100315-scuba-resident-advisor-mix

And this: http://theasc.blogspot.com/2010/03/studio-mix-march-2010.html

If you like stuff like that you should check out stuff on Hotflush Records, Non+, and Ostgust Ton

As for myself... I listen to pretty much anything while playing SF... Sometimes it's ambient music, sometimes techno, sometimes gay disco and so on...

double ssf4 platinums
haters gonna hate

makotos last challenge can be a cockblock because you can actually cancel into tanden rekki too quickly. If you do that it pushes her too far away no matter how precise you are. You need to time your cancel into his body then you can actually do it with the proper timing.

Also, did ibuku's 24 today first try. Not even fucking joking. After days of trying and failing, i watched a youtube, used the exact handmotion on my stick and pow, first try. I was gobsmacked. I just sat there and watched the ultra going through thinking "this is both awesome and completely anticlimactic"

INDESTRUCTABLE

also worth noting, that means that i have achieved the unachievable dream of a perfect profile. All games at 100% completion (including dlc but not including those 2 games i never played which sucked :3 )

Holy Shit! A Killa Sasa sighting!!!!

Anyways, to the guy wanting to get better.

Just have fun, dont take online play serious at all, its fun but nothing like playing offline.

You will lose a lot but every match you lose go back and look at why you lost and try to fix it. Learn from each match, win or lose.

Don't be scared to ask questions here, everyone here is willing to help and no question is stupid.

In regards to pad or stick, try both out and see what you are more comfortable with. There are some great pad players here, and there is no shame on playing on one or the other. Just play on whatever you like more.

And sometimes you just gotta block, just sit there and block.

-Deadpool- said:

Great to see new faces pop into this thread. I share similar experiences with you, in that I've played FGs my whole life, but was never fortunate enough to fall in with a more "serious" crowd. I have GAF to thank for that, and considering that most of my experience comes from online matches, I've learned enough to know why I win or lose my matches.

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said by others here. Are you on PSN or XBL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom