• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joekage

Lost Fragment said:
Man I just fought 3 Makotos in a row. All about the Makoto train, choo choo!

Pretty sure I just played your Zangief with Cody. GT is TheTostitoSalsa.

Good games man, I could tell by the loss of PP that you're trying for that C to shining C?

Axis

Joekage said:

Good games man, I could tell by the loss of PP that you're trying for that C to shining C?

YOU STILL DUCKING YO :p

Joekage

Axis said:
YOU STILL DUCKING YO :p

Yo ugh. On blast.

My bad bro, I've been on all day but haven't seen you. I'm done with finals and etc so I swear we'll get our matches in sometime soon. Bout to hit up some locals to play but when I get back I'll head to IRC and we'll do a FT20-30 since I owe you at least 2 more FT10's haha.

also

VEX!!! <#

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Joekage said:

Yeah. Been messing around with a bunch of different characters lately and I figure doing the achivement will give me an excuse to go through the whole cast and see what characters I feel like picking up more seriously.

Axis

Joekage said:
Yo ugh. On blast.

My bad bro, I've been on all day but haven't seen you. I'm done with finals and etc so I swear we'll get our matches in sometime soon. Bout to hit up some locals to play but when I get back I'll head to IRC and we'll do a FT20-30 since I owe you at least 2 more FT10's haha.

also

VEX!!! <#

haha i'm down. i'll be on all night; i have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow. dem lazy fridays!

i lost to a cody 3 straight times in ranked 2 days ago...apparently slide->throw on every xup is a valid tactic when you can't tech online :(

<##

also, the bi-weekly savannah stream is up if anyone wants to watch it; just random ass casuals right now while they're waiting for the augusta players to arrive

http://www.justin.tv/alvien89#/w/658910448/2

come stream monster!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Really surprised there aren't more AE vids by now.

Do the AE cabs have the same recording feature or whatever that the vanilla cabs do?

Has there been another Capcom fighting game where players ended up liking the previous iteration more than the most current? I can think of Hyper Fighting and Alpha 2 as the closest examples. I hope Arcade Edition delivers. All these changes make me worry.

schennmu said:
Need Dudley vids now! Of course Japan is not playing him.
dragonballjoseph said:
http://www.versuscity.net/2010/12/17/super-street-fighter-4-ae-power-players/

1. Daigo Umehara (Yun) – 16,067 BP, 89% win rate
2. Matsugoro (Dudley) – 13,145 BP, 86% win rate
3. aka jojo (M.Bison) – 11,828 BP, 84% win rate
4. opa (Balrog) – 11,565 BP, 90% win rate
5. Simba (Abel) – 11,321 BP, 93% win rate

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Stay Free.

Leunam

That's pretty much what the win rates are like for the people at the top at the end of SF4s arcade life, if I remember right.

hitsugi

Daigo has racked up more BP with Yun in a day than I've got spread out on my history of SSF4... then again I'm on psn and.. do points work differently in the arcade or AE version?

"the win rates are too high to take the rankings seriously."

Daigo, Mago, etc. were at 80+% win rate for pretty much as long as people cared to keep track of Vanilla arcade Battle Point rankings. You can look at arcade matches from the end of last year (almost a year and a half after Vanilla arcade came out) and daigo still had an 81% win percentage.

It's more like "The game is only a day old, who cares."

Rocwell

hitsugi said:
Daigo has racked up more BP with Yun in a day than I've got spread out on my history of SSF4... then again I'm on psn and.. do points work differently in the arcade or AE version?
Seems likely since his XBL gamertag took much longer to acquire 20k. In SFIV arcade I think he had upwards of 200k iirc.

BP was acquired much faster in Vanilla arcade compared to console. You won or lost 100-200~ BP unless your opponent had 10-20k+ less BP than you.

Teknopathetic said:
"the win rates are too high to take the rankings seriously."

Daigo, Mago, etc. were at 80+% win rate for pretty much as long as people cared to keep track of Vanilla arcade Battle Point rankings. You can look at arcade matches from the end of last year (almost a year and a half after Vanilla arcade came out) and daigo still had an 81% win percentage.

It's more like "The game is only a day old, who cares."

It's the same idea. The ten-fifteen percent difference is significant when considering months of matches. Day 1 results, not really.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
marathonfool said:
Has there been another Capcom fighting game where players ended up liking the previous iteration more than the most current? I can think of Hyper Fighting and Alpha 2 as the closest examples. I hope Arcade Edition delivers. All these changes make me worry.
Not like I was around for any of these, but from what I've heard:

* SF2 Hyper Fighting -> Super SF2 (Turbo) - Super moves are a "lame comeback mechanic," among other things.
* SF Alpha 2 -> SF Alpha 3 - All kinds of broken.
* Vampire Savior -> Vampire Savior 2 & Vampire Hunter 2 - More of an alternate version than a true upgrade, apparent from a split character roster more than anything else.
* SF Alpha 3 -> SF Alpha 3 Upper - I assume the A3 community was just accustomed to the original game by the time this revision came out. Dunno though.
* SF3 Third Strike -> The game was ported to Dreamcast with a few quirks in the process, and I believe that Dreamcast port served as the basis for a Naomi arcade upgrade that came later. Apparently nobody plays said upgrade.
* Super SF2 Turbo -> HD Remix - Supposedly a lot of old timers, East Coast in particular, have expressed the desire to return to ST in tournaments.

Sixfortyfive said:
Not like I was around for any of these, but from what I've heard:

* SF2 Hyper Fighting -> Super SF2 (Turbo) - Super moves are a "lame comeback mechanic," among other things.
* SF Alpha 2 -> SF Alpha 3 - All kinds of broken.
* Vampire Savior -> Vampire Savior 2 & Vampire Hunter 2 - More of an alternate version than a true upgrade, apparent from a split character roster more than anything else.
* SF Alpha 3 -> SF Alpha 3 Upper - I assume the A3 community was just accustomed to the original game by the time this revision came out. Dunno though.
* SF3 Third Strike -> The game was ported to Dreamcast with a few quirks in the process, and I believe that Dreamcast port served as the basis for a Naomi arcade upgrade that came later. Apparently nobody plays said upgrade.
* Super SF2 Turbo -> HD Remix - Supposedly a lot of old timers, East Coast in particular, have expressed the desire to return to ST in tournaments.

I was around for all of these.

1) No one liked Super after Hyper Fighting. The game was slower and everyone was in new euphoria after Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury Special and Mortal Kombat 2.

2) Every single version of Alpha was broken. The problem with A2 and A3 are the mechanics. I like A2 more than A3 because I didn't like the retarded counter hits, VISM combos and juggles (this is what I hated the most). But A2 had broken alpha counters and custom combos.

3) Agree with the Darkstalkers/Vampire comments. But America never got Vampire Hunter 2 or Vampire Savior 2.

4) Don't mess with cheap or b.s. stuff like unblockables and what not. The Dreamcast like A LOT of home ports was not 100 percent like the arcade edition and changed minute character things. A3 was probably the worst translation as the VISM combos were whacked on PS and Dreamcast.

5) HD Remix is ugly. The music stinks. And some don't agree with messing around with a "classic" or fixing the broken. Or adding more broken (T.Hawk's grab/super not working 100 or Akuma's air fireball being evil as it propels him up).

Need to see Daigo's Yun now! I'm really salty over the Ibuki changes.

Edit: Apparently someone over on SRK says that the new TC cr. HK st. HK for Ibuki is god like. He says shotos are more hesitant to throw out cr. MK. It's also great for applying pressure by sjc into it and great for breaking focus attacks. The LK cross up is really different now, which is a huge nerf imo.

DryEyeRelief said:
the win rates are too high to take the rankings seriously.

I found the final SFIV (Vanilla) power rankings for Reno's site:

Oichi said:
1 Mago &#12510;&#12468; SG 481,375
2 Ojisanboy &#12362;&#12376;&#12373;&#12435;&#12508;&#12540;&#12452; SG 348,121
3 Umehara &#12454;&#12513;&#12495;&#12521; RY 331,748
4 RF &#12354;&#12540;&#12427;&#12359;&#12405; SG 284,668
5 Tokido &#12392;&#12365;&#12393; AK 193,507
6 Momochi &#12418;&#12418;&#12385; AK 187,946
7 Radiowave Radiowave SG 185,281
8 Shiro &#24535;&#37070; AB 174,726
9 Uryo &#12358;&#12426;&#12423; VI 169,963
10 Kindevu &#37329;&#12487;&#12532; RU 162,917

Daigo, Mago, Kindevu, RF, Tokido, Momochi, etc are all going to rack up points, especially if the game becomes popular in arcades. That's going to be hard to tell, especially with VF5 Final Showdown, Tekken 6, KOF XIII, etc.

Spiderjericho said:
Daigo, Mago, Kindevu, RF, Tokido, Momochi, etc are all going to rack up points, especially if the game becomes popular in arcades. That's going to be hard to tell, especially with VF5 Final Showdown, Tekken 6, KOF XIII, etc.

that's bp not win rate.

hitsugi

KS Seven X said:
Need to see Daigo's Yun now! I'm really salty over the Ibuki changes.

yeah.. where the hell is the footage?! D: probably going to surface at like 4 am or some other random time tomorrow.

....i hope

DryEyeRelief said:
that's bp not win rate.

Mago (SG): 11,913 matches, 9,287 wins (77.96% win rate)
Ojisanboy (SG): 10,675 matches, 8,483 wins (79.47% win rate)
Umehara (RY): 9,842 matches, 8,080 wins (82.1% win rate)
RF (SG): 8,003 matches, no data on wins or win rate published
Nemo (CH): 10,940 matches, 8,595 wins (78.56% win rate)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
What the hell - Daigo has over 16,000 BP and not a single person captured any video of him in action? Disappointing.

And that damage reduction to El Fuerte's Ultra Spark is painful.

Even though Daigo was saying Yang is top 3, I hope others continue to believe that he'll be hard to use, as I still want to use him, but not if he ends up being popular.

Makoto being able to do HK Karakusa after MP Hayate - I could cry tears of joy right now.

Timedog said:
This is the WORST shortcut. The whole point of Zangief having such a powerful move was that it was the hardest move in the game to do, and if you fucked up the execution, you got punished.

If Zangief had to do an actual 360 (as in, jump-in to execute it), he'd get worked so hard in SF4 with anti-airs, and would have to rely on normals and perfect spacing to buffer it from normals.

Skilotonn said:
Even though Daigo was saying Yang is top 3, I hope others continue to believe that he'll be hard to use, as I still want to use him, but not if he ends up being popular.
What's wrong with playing a popular character?

Axis

Skilotonn said:
What the hell - Daigo has over 16,000 BP and not a single person captured any video of him in action? Disappointing.

And that damage reduction to El Fuerte's Ultra Spark is painful.

Makoto being able to do HK Karakusa after MP Hayate - I could cry tears of joy right now.

If Zangief had to do an actual 360 (as in, jump-in to execute it), he'd get worked so hard in SF4 with anti-airs, and would have to rely on normals and perfect spacing to buffer it from normals.

why do people refuse to use chars who are "popular"? i don't get the nonconformity if you actually WANT to play the character in the first place.

Spiderjericho said:
Just showing you since you said it seemed unrealistic. And no actual numbers were shown earlier. But carry on, playa.

Dude if you don't understand what I'm trying to post, don't try and fake it.

I'll break it down for you: What do you think is easier to get a 100% win streak with? 2 matches or 4000 matches? Two. When you play a large number of matches, something like a 5-10 percent difference in wins is actually significant because the overall matches played makes the percentage stagnant. Something like 70-80 is believable for the top players in Japan, but 90 aint.

There was a poster on srk giving his experiences with abel. he has something like 42/46 (91%) wins and is already considered to be 2nd abel in Japan. But he's not a top player by any means.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nothing wrong with playing a popular character, I actually choose to play who I click with, I just don't want to be accused of being a bandwagon rider or the like, that's all.

It doesn't matter anyways since I really wouldn't care what other people thought like I do with everything else though.

DryEyeRelief said:
Dude if you don't understand what I'm trying to post, don't try and fake it.

I'll break it down for you: What do you think is easier to get a 100% win streak with? 2 matches or 4000 matches? Two. When you play a large number of matches, something like a 5-10 percent difference in wins is actually significant because the overall matches played makes the percentage stagnant. Something like 70-80 is believable for the top players in Japan, but 90 aint.

There was a poster on srk giving his experiences with abel. he has something like 42/46 (91%) wins and is already considered to be 2nd abel in Japan. But he's not a top player by any means.

I understand what you're posting (maybe there's a misunderstanding with what you think I'm saying).

Daigo is probably going to hover around 70 percent with Yun (or higher). His knowledge of SF, footsies and determination will keep him in the top 10 of BP and win percentage. And I would agree that his BP is going to drop some points. I also wouldn't be surprised if he picks Ryu back up as a secondary, so he'll end up like Momochi or another Japanese player I can't recall but had high BP and mained two characters.

Skilotonn said:
Nothing wrong with playing a popular character, I actually choose to play who I click with, I just don't want to be accused of being a bandwagon rider or the like, that's all.

It doesn't matter anyways since I really wouldn't care what other people thought like I do with everything else though.
If you like Yun, play him. Now if you play the character cookie cutter like then that's another story. Filipino Champ doesn't play Dhalsim like Arturo. Wolfkrone doesn't play Viper like Flash Metroid.

DryEyeRelief said:

Good post. The same also applies with unpopular characters. Take for example VRyu, AZ Greg, Yeb during Vanilla and Mike Ross during Vanilla. The player makes the character not the other way around.

I think the one thing I was amazed about during Canada Cup and the Capcom Fight Club SSFIV stream w Daigo were how Daigo used Guile. It was clear he knew how to use Guile. He understands the footsies, the spacing, techniques, tools, etc. This even came through when he used him HDR also.

And that's a huge difference in characters between Ryu and Guile. Whereas Momochi with Akuma, Ken and Ryu are in the same neighborhood, just stylistic/tool differences.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah I don't understand people who play unpopular characters so they can feel like a unique and beautiful snowflake. Main who you think is the most fun. Fuck what other people think. Unless you're more concerned with what people think about you than you are with playing the character you enjoy the most.

I also don't get why people who play those unpopular characters are sometimes hostile towards people who pick up that character after they get buffed/those characters aren't as bad as once thought/whatever.

DR2K

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Yeah I don't understand people who play unpopular characters so they can feel like a unique and beautiful snowflake. Main who you think is the most fun. Fuck what other people think. Unless you're more concerned with what people think about you than you are with playing the character you enjoy the most.

I also don't get why people who play those unpopular characters are sometimes hostile towards people who pick up that character after they get buffed/those characters aren't as bad as once thought/whatever.

The playing to win mentality is looked down upon by the playing for fun mentality. (and vice versa) they always clash.

Over 16k BP and not one match video of Daigo playing as Yun anywhere? I just want to see some match videos of Yun and Yang being played at a high level.

Wiseblade

DR2K said:
The playing to win mentality is looked down upon by the playing for fun mentality. (and vice versa) they always clash.
Whatever happened to wanting to win with a character you find fun? Fuerte's the character I like the most (Sakura and Guy are OK, but...) and the only one I'd actually be motivated to practice with. He's not exactly the most popular character, but having more Fuerte's running around would probably only motivate me to work harder to satisfy my superiority complex. :lol

Also: Leaving for paris in an hour for Bushido impact international tomorrow! wish me luck! (I promise that's the last time I'll shamelessly pimp a tournament just because I'm in it. ¬.¬)

hitsugi

DR2K said:

to some, playing to win IS fun..

or abusing broken shit in games, etc.

everyone has a different definition of these things, but not picking a character because they've become a bandwagon choice? eh.. I think that all comes down to playstyles, as I believe someone previously mentioned.

Take a look at top Akumas, for example. Going back to Vanilla - Momochi, Tokido, Sako and K66 all had completely different playstyles, but were all good with a very popular character. Same for Kaqn, Daigo, Momochi, Poongko, etc. with Ryu. There were little differences that made each of them stand out in some way.

If you like a character, play them.. and if you really like them you should be able to shine above the people that are using them for whatever other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom