• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

Lost Fragment said:
Being able to combo into ex hayate from lights is silly, especially since her corner fukiage juggles work on everyone now. Making fukiage 4 or 5 frames or whatever is silly too considering how much damage/stun that shit does. Fukiage really didn't need upper body invincibility either since it always trades heavily in her favor anyway.
Well, her bnb corner combo eats two bars and is corner only, so I don't see it as "free" either, even if it can combo from a light. I can agree with what you say about the upper body invincibility on the Fukiage, though.

But it's not like the character is brain-easy as Yun can be, I think she now works quite well in AE, and would be quite sad to see her getting hit with the nerf stick. Now, for a less broken-as-shit Yun, this is a risk worth taking, maybe...

Shito said:
Well, her bnb corner combo eats two bars and is corner only, so I don't see it as "free" either, even if it can combo from a light. I can agree with what you say about the upper body invincibility on the Fukiage, though.

But it's not like the character is brain-easy as Yun can be, I think she now works quite well in AE, and would be quite sad to see her getting hit with the nerf stick. Now, for a less broken-as-shit Yun, this is a risk worth taking, maybe...

Doesn't make much sense to say that #1 or #2 in the game is broken when your own character is top 5.

My abilities in Jojo are the opposite of SSF4. In jojo I know all the setups, mixups and footsies, but the combos are beyond me, insane difficulty(probably because I play Dio). In SSF4, I can do the combos, but I suck ass at the rest of the game. Then again, I played Jojo for 3 years against the people who write the faqs with no training mode, so that probably has something to do with it. One of the guys I play against only recently got my training mode working, so I'm sure I'll get better once I can do Dio bnbs(that take godlike damage). I get so bodied on ggpo by fucking kakyoin players.

Then again, bnb combos are much rarer in jojo than SF or Darkstalkers.

Shito

DryEyeRelief said:
Doesn't make much sense to say that #1 or #2 in the game is broken when your own character is top 5.
I don't mind about top characters. I don't mind about Fei Long, I don't mind about Yang, heck I didn't even mind about Sagat back in Vanilla!
It's not about being top tier, but more about "oh come on what is this crap!?". I think anyone can start calling characters "broken", regardless of their own character, as long as the shit is indeed broken.
I don't know, it may be just me, but I see a huge difference between top characters and broken ones, the latter not requiring much thoughts or game plan to win with.
Now, if you don't agree with me about Yun, just argue about the damn character, and not about who I play with. Heck, my character is damn near low-tier in Super, so throw me a bone there!

Shito said:
I don't mind about top characters. I don't mind about Fei Long, I don't mind about Yang, heck I didn't even mind about Sagat back in Vanilla!
It's not about being top tier, but more about "oh come on what is this crap!?". I think anyone can start calling characters "broken", regardless of their own character, as long as the shit is indeed broken.
I don't know, it may be just me, but I see a huge difference between top characters and broken ones, the latter not requiring much thoughts or game plan to win with.
Now, if you don't agree with me about Yun, just argue about the damn character, and not about who I play with. Heck, my character is damn near low-tier in Super, so throw me a bone there!

lol is it ex lunge?

I bring it up because it makes me think "okay where is the line of cheapness?" They're both strong characters. Heck, it seems easier to hate Yun as opposed to Fei Long or Yang because their strength can't be attributed to a single attack.

Shito

DryEyeRelief said:
lol is it ex lunge?

I bring it up because it makes me think "okay where is the line of cheapness." They're both strong characters. Heck, it seems easier to hate Yun as opposed to Fei Long or Yang because their strength can't be attributed to a single attack.
Yeah, the ex lunge, but not only that: I feel that, as a whole, Yun is too good in every aspect of the game (apart from his weak stamina). He doesn't care about fireballs, has a great reversal shoryu for when he's being put the pressure on, has amazing attack potential, can easily combo into his ultras, has the best dive kicks in the game, has a great super and can build meter like crazy with Palm.

I agree though that deciding of a "line of cheapness" is something difficult (impossible?) to do, but, I don't know, seeing that many "basic" Yuns beating great japanese players makes me think the character doesn't need much work to be powerful. And I don't remember top players complaining that much about Sagat or Cammy. Maybe it's because he's powerful *and* boring?

Hi, everyone. I'm signing in as the newest of the noobs; I bought an xbox and arcade stick pretty much just to play this game, which I've been watching and playing limitedly for some time now. There's lots of great resources online, and I know where to find them, but I'd still be appreciative of any "be less of a scrub" information that you guys want to throw my way. Is there 'We're Not Good at This Game' lobby available for the joining?

Thanks.

Invisible_Insane said:
Hi, everyone. I'm signing in as the newest of the noobs; I bought an xbox and arcade stick pretty much just to play this game, which I've been watching and playing limitedly for some time now. There's lots of great resources online, and I know where to find them, but I'd still be appreciative of any "be less of a scrub" information that you guys want to throw my way. Is there 'We're Not Good at This Game' lobby available for the joining?

Thanks.

There's an irc chat room for the xbox side, where you can coordinate player matches and what not. As far as information to aid you in being less of a scrub, it'd help if you told us who your main is, I suppose.

rivals

Practice execution. A ton. I've played casually for years, bought a stick a year and a half ago and still only played casually at best. I picked it back up about two weeks ago to start getting serious for once and I think when you're starting out really knowing your stick and getting the basics of execution down is the best starting point. You can mess around with your main's trials or jump into learning their bnb's at that point. That's where I'm at still with Rufus, almost have his bnb down now then I'm branching out to actually playing with a friend to figure out how to actually use him.

the_log_ride said:
There's an irc chat room for the xbox side, where you can coordinate player matches and what not. As far as information to aid you in being less of a scrub, it'd help if you told us who your main is, I suppose.
Ken. tee hee.

I have some interest in playing a couple of other characters: Seth, Akuma, Sagat, Juri, but right now I'm still learning my way around the arcade stick.

vixlar

Invisible_Insane said:

Thanks.

The first advice I could give to you is play a lot online so you can get adjusted at the response.

Now, pick a main. Learn his sttributes. Which punch goes up. Which is an overhead.

Try to learn short an easy combos. Maybe medium punch+shoryuken, or medium punch+hadoken.

Try to learn which punches are comboable.

Create some routines, but with variations.

Read a lot about focus attacks. Learn how to abuse of them.

Don't worry if you don't do long combos, aim for short and effective combos.

vixlar said:
The first advice I could give to you is play a lot online so you can get adjusted at the response.

Now, pick a main. Learn his sttributes. Which punch goes up. Which is an overhead.

Try to learn short an easy combos. Maybe medium punch+shoryuken, or medium punch+hadoken.

Try to learn which punches are comboable.

Create some routines, but with variations.

Read a lot about focus attacks. Learn how to abuse of them.

Don't worry if you don't do long combos, aim for short and effective combos.

I think I may have overstated my level of newness. I understand the game pretty well, I'm just bad at playing it.

Joekage

I broke my stick and the worse part is, it was while I was messing around with Viper's Fierce Feint Fierce combos... yo ugh... :(

Markman, help a brotha out haha.

Imm0rt4l said:
is this a new found hate since playing Tokido? Have you gotten to play him?

Nah, haven't gotten to play him. But like, my last 123978712309817 tourney loses (not including joe) have been to Akuma.

SmokeMaxX

Joekage said:
I broke my stick and the worse part is, it was while I was messing around with Viper's Fierce Feint Fierce combos... yo ugh... :(

DaRabidDuckie is attending ARK III. He's a well-known modder if you want him to take a look.

Imm0rt4l

FindMyFarms said:
Nah, haven't gotten to play him. But like, my last 123978712309817 tourney loses (not including joe) have been to Akuma.
Oh damn, that's ass.

Joekage said:

You're bout to lose your sponsorship chasing them white women, You haven't learned anything from Tiger?

"Well, tough break n****, theres always FUBU"

How many GAFfers are still rocking with Rog? Personlly I think I'll stick with him even in AE (if it ever comes out). I don't like the nerfs but I'll adjust.

We had a local online SSF4 tournament here in Finland. While the level isn't as high as other places, it was still fun. Here are some of my matches:

vs Vega (Pools)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdgdFla9-E

vs Bison (Pools)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqvJyN51_ow

vs Ken (Top4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hei-bMxzFEs

vs Cammy (Top3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSA23OPyigk

Cammy was my weakest match up. Kept pressing buttons when I shouldn't have. :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yep. Last night was fun in a I'm sleepy as hell and why the hell am I still up playing the game kind of way. I started playing a little more serious at the end.

Shoutouts to all the people entering.

vixlar

Invisible_Insane said:
I think I may have overstated my level of newness. I understand the game pretty well, I'm just bad at playing it.

Oh, sorry... in that case... I'm really new too, hahahaha.

vulva

Imm0rt4l said:
is this a new found hate since playing Tokido? Have you gotten to play him?
I only got to play a bit last night, but I beat your
ibuki =(
I AM GDLK

I really should start playing more though. I was so rusty last night.

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
E. Ryu gets an official unlock this week in SSFIVAE.
http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/3/23/ssf4-ae-evil-ryu-officially-releases-this-week.html

I actually kind of dig him and hopefully this puts an end to Capcom's moratorium on footage.
cool, I wonder if we can expect a trailer.

with a silhouette of urien and gill

Happy Phantom said:
I only got to play a bit last night, but I beat your
ibuki =(
I AM GDLK

I really should start playing more though. I was so rusty last night.
haha GDLK indeed, you were my last match of the night.

About damn time, I can't wait to see some Evil Ryu in high level play. To be honest I don't think he's that good but I just want to see his potential in action. Especially that 400+ damage meterless punish in action.

Kimosabae

Banned
How the fuck do Vipers even play half decent online? Seriously? Maybe just being online effects me psychologically in some way, but I drop even the easiest of cancels with Viper whenever playing online. I've decided today that I'm officially done with this game online,

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kimosabae said:
How the fuck do Vipers even play half decent online? Seriously? Maybe just being online effects me psychologically in some way, but I drop even the easiest of cancels with Viper whenever playing online. I've decided today that I'm officially done with this game online,

Ask Seph. He's always doing crazy stuff and on one bar. GAF's best Viper. Yep. I said it.

http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/280994520

Might stream an Endless tonight if I'm not too tired and people are around. I like how I made a simple tweak and the stream is a lot better. Video up there is old. The recent ones are an indication.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the timing on combo execution online is the same as it is offline as long as you're able to confirm that first hit. So if you're doing combos purely with muscle memory, lag isn't going to affect you as much.

Rice-Eater said:
About damn time, I can't wait to see some Evil Ryu in high level play. To be honest I don't think he's that good but I just want to see his potential in action. Especially that 400+ damage meterless punish in action.
Sakura says hi. ^_^

Rocwell

Rice-Eater said:
First I heard of this, what's the notation for it?

Rocwell said:
Ohh I never heard that he could link after the axe kick. Does that work midscreen? Can you do a loop in the corner?

It works anywhere on screen, but some characters have weird hit box's and you can't do cr. MP after axe kick. Instead you'll have to use cr. LP, but the damage difference is minimal. As for looping it, it's not possible. You can only link axe kick after a crouching or standing HP, and after a axe kick there will be too much push off for the st. HP and the cr. HP is too slow to combo. There may be a possibility of looping it against certain characters in the corner but I doubt we'll see that happen.

And just for reference his max damage combo would be j. HP, cr. MP xx st. HP, Axe kick xx cr. MP, LK tatsu, HP SRK. If his damage output is the same as Ryu and Akuma in Super and lets say axe kick does 100 damage, my estimate puts the damage output at 441. You could tack on Ultra 1 or 2 for more damage, but the scaling would make it useless unless it kills your opponent or puts them even closer to death. But say you just blocked a SRK and you start the punish with a cr. or st. HP, that would still lead to 387 damage hypothetically.

That seems to be Evil Ryu's only strong point in this game. He lacks Akuma's vortex and Ryu's great set of normals, but he punishes very hard. But it's not free as you the cr. MP link after axe kick is probably a 1 framer. So he's not exactly pick up and play like Ryu or Ken, he'll require some time if you're serious about main'ing him.

dragonballjoseph said:
Sakura says hi. ^_^

I know you can go over 400 with one bar, but I didn't think she could do it without one. I guess you have to loop LK tatsu a couple of times?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How is the 3DS version of street fighter? Is it an actual port of the consoleversion with regards to gameplay and mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom