• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
"What is Neogaf?"

What the fuck.

But yeah, first time seeing AE in action. I want to see the new characters...what are the chances of that happening?

Rice-Eater said:
Yun looks beastly, but my money is still on vanilla Sagat(being more broken that is). His zoning is so good and one uppercut with 2 meters can lead to 600+ damage. Yun is probably only a 900 health character, so he to worry about losing two-thirds of his life trying to get in.

I dunno....at least Sagat is a ground based character. Yun is obnoxious mixups all day.

Professor Beef said:
I wanna main Yang, but I'm so bad with reckas.

LOL, I have the same problem. I can't seem to do the normal 3 hit rekka consistently. I have such a hard time timing each one after another. That's why I'm afraid to really try Yang and will probably just use Yun instead as a side character because as some have said, he's easy mode.

BotoxAgent said:
I dunno....at least Sagat is a ground based character. Yun is obnoxious mixups all day.

Well it's either get rushed down hard and mixed up on wake up by Yun or dodge 1000 tigers and lose probably half your life trying to get in on Sagat(if you ever manage to that is). I still give the edge to vanilla Sagat because of his comeback factor, something that Yun lacks.

This is my short assessment of Evil Ryu based on all videos I've seen of him so far. First things first, he can get stunned and die very quickly. It seemed more Seth like rather then Akuma because his teleport isn't that good and he lacks Akuma's runaway game. His tool set is also not as good as Seth's so at first he seems like the weakest of all the low health characters. Although we won't really know his potential until people spend more time with him.

He can do a lot of damage and stun, but he lacks a way to get in easily and can't vortex like Akuma. If he wants to get in, he has to do it the old fashion way, except his normals aren't even that good. His dive kick does seem a little better then Akuma's but since it has a height restriction, it won't be a good get in move or blow up crouch techs either.

So basically Evil Ryu looks like a mid tier character. He can hit like a truck but takes it like a little girl. Among the 4 traditional Shoto's(Ken, Ryu, Akuma, E. Ryu), he'll probably be the hardest to use. So when AE hits console I think most of these new Evil Ryu players on PSN and Live will be easy pickings. I think he can definitely win tourneys but, you'll have to work really hard. So much for Daigo dropping Yun for Evil Ryu. But I'll still be all over Evil Ryu when Super Duper Ultra edition comes out.

cHaotix8

Rice-Eater said:
Well it's either get rushed down hard and mixed up on wake up by Yun or dodge 1000 tigers and lose probably have your life trying to get in on Sagat(if you ever manage to that is). I still give the edge to vanilla Sagat because of his comeback factor, something that Yun lacks.

Yeah, but the fireball obstacle course is Sagats whole game. A good Sagat is going to keep you out regardless of his buffs/nerfs in Super. What made him good was his huge comeback potential. Yun on the other hand can get by with mediocre skill using ex lunge, dumb resets and a invincible dp that's almost unpunishable. Not to mention he doesn't care about your fireball zonig.

Jangocube

Banned
Ok, I just got SF4 for pretty cheap. I haven't played a SF game since the SNES days, so who do you guys recommend for a noob player?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Jangocube said:
Ok, I just got SF4 for pretty cheap. I haven't played a SF game since the SNES days, so who do you guys recommend for a noob player?

Pick Yun.
Just kidding.

Try doing the trials for all of the characters just to get a feel for everyone. Shotos (Ryu, Ken, and Akuma) are probably the easiest to jump into, especially Ryu.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, thanks to Solid_Rain (think it was you) for the games last night.
Apart from when I forgot to block against your Ken, and when those randoms turned up unannounced with their lack of logic, those were some good games!

I like your Rose. Your Ryu was also quite solid, as you were very measured with him when you didn't have the upper hand.
Also I have trouble with Cody in general, but yours was strong!

Cheers, hope to play again soon.

GG Chaotix. Sorry I didn't play a wider variety of characters. I literally only play 3 characters in this game and only used Akuma because he's very similar to Ken/Ryu. I spammed the hell out of Ken's kara throw and kept getting away with it. I figured the connection may have been interrupting your tech timing. But anyways, GG again and hopefully we can do it again some other time.

B-Genius said:
Hey, thanks to Solid_Rain (think it was you) for the games last night.
Apart from when I forgot to block against your Ken, and when those randoms turned up unannounced with their lack of logic, those were some good games!

I like your Rose. Your Ryu was also quite solid, as you were very measured with him when you didn't have the upper hand.
Also I have trouble with Cody in general, but yours was strong!

Cheers, hope to play again soon.
Thanks, there were some really clutch moments at times and your Gouken and Abel caused me a lot of problems - I still haven't figured out a game plan against Abel though, which i'll need to if I want to do well at tournaments.

I also really need to adjust my delayed crouch tech timing, after getting hit by Gouken's damaging ultra so many times lol
Overall I had fun except when it lagged against the randoms, but I think it improves you as a player if you can adjust mid game against an opponents tactics.

I really wanted to go to CEO, but I leave for Ohio a week before. And not just Ohio, but the middle of nowhere Ohio. An hour and a half from Cincinnati, and 3 hours from Cleavland. And I guess Daigo is going to CEO. I wanted to blow him up so bad. :(

So no tournaments or hanging with TFA for me for 2 months. =/

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Thanks. O man, they are going to make you play on those official PDP sticks. I don't know about that, haha. I hate that layout.
I figure that's to be expected. The whole reason they're sponsoring such an event is because they want to promote their products. It would look bad if the winner walks up to the podium with his Mas or Hori or Madcatz

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Thanks. O man, they are going to make you play on those official PDP sticks. I don't know about that, haha. I hate that layout.
you cant play mk on a standard 6 layout. either that layout or a pad. thats the only way to play mk

AkumaHokoru said:
you cant play mk on a standard 6 layout. either that layout or a pad. thats the only way to play mk

I've been playing the MK9 demo with TE/6 button payout, and it has been fine. I roll like this:

Not assigned-FP-BP
Block-FK-BK

I play SC and VF, so having block on LK (using my thumb to block) feels more natural to me.

None of my friends are getting that MK specific joystick and will be playing on their normal street fighter sticks.

I never liked that old"X" layout personally.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ThatCrazyGuy said:

Yeah that's kind of a problem. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the layout was non-standard. But if you map a stick with a standard layout to match the layout on the MK sticks, it's not incredibly different. Just the block button is in a slightly different place. So it shouldn't take a lot of effort to get used to, and hopefully players that don't own the MK stick will be able to play casuals beforehand to get used to the layout and the HAPP parts.

It was to be expected though really.

cHaotix8

Rice-Eater said:
GG Chaotix. Sorry I didn't play a wider variety of characters. I literally only play 3 characters in this game and only used Akuma because he's very similar to Ken/Ryu. I spammed the hell out of Ken's kara throw and kept getting away with it. I figured the connection may have been interrupting your tech timing. But anyways, GG again and hopefully we can do it again some other time.

Hahah, nah man you were getting me with those unblockables! GG's dude, we'll have to play again some time.

Solune

Played some AE for the first time, and played like garbage was 0 - 6 =(. Too much Marvel that's for sure. Don't have any notes in particular but E.Ryu was unlocked and one guy was playing, nothing fancy though.

Solune said:
Played some AE for the first time, and played like garbage was 0 - 6 =(. Too much Marvel that's for sure. Don't have any notes in particular but E.Ryu was unlocked and one guy was playing, nothing fancy though.

dat c. mk>qcf fierce.

El Sloth

Banned
This thread in the gaming section got me wondering: Why isn't there a larger fighting game presence in the MLG? Specifically any Street Fighter. I know Tekken is the more popular game worldwide, but I would have thought with the way SFIV breathed new life into the scene that the MLG would have been all over that.

Also, I've been checking their wiki page and I see they're running Brawl instead of Melee. How does the Smash community feel about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom