• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
El Sloth said:
This thread in the gaming section got me wondering: Why isn't there a larger fighting game presence in the MLG? Specifically any Street Fighter. I know Tekken is the more popular game worldwide, but I would have thought with the way SFIV breathed new life into the scene that the MLG would have been all over that.

Also, I've been checking their wiki page and I see they're running Brawl instead of Melee. How does the Smash community feel about that?
I had heard that Capcom was not cooperative with MLG organizers, and didn't want there games a part of the league.

Sounds fishy to me, but I have no idea.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
_dementia said:
I had heard that Capcom was not cooperative with MLG organizers, and didn't want there games a part of the league.

Sounds fishy to me, but I have no idea.

I remember hearing something about how SF4 was close to be a part of MLG, but the community wasn't cool with it and convinced Capcom to back out.

El Sloth said:
Also, I've been checking their wiki page and I see they're running Brawl instead of Melee. How does the Smash community feel about that?
They're fine with it. There are people who always say "Melee instead," but those are the minority. There's a general consensus to just be happy that the community is being recognized at all.

I haven't been keeping track the last couple of weeks, but because of the splitting incident from a few months ago, Brawl is only being brought back as a "retro" event or something. Some of my friends are trying to rally support to get it back as a main game, but I don't think it's going to happen.

El Sloth

Banned
Professor Beef said:
They're fine with it. There are people who always say "Melee instead," but those are the minority. There's a general consensus to just be happy that the community is being recognized at all.
I haven't been keeping track the last couple of weeks, but because of the splitting incident from a few months ago, Brawl is only being brought back as a "retro" event or something. Some of my friends are trying to rally support to get it back as a main game, but I don't think it's going to happen.
That's good to hear. I remember there being a lot of hate from the Smash community for Brawl when it was released, which is why I asked. What's the splitting incident?

Imm0rt4l said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU&feature=player_embedded

Gootecks interviews Brolly the disabled SF4 player that plays with his face!!
I think this might deserve it's own thread.

El Sloth said:
That's good to hear. I remember there being a lot of hate from the Smash community for Brawl when it was released, which is why I asked. What's the splitting incident?
It happened back at MLG D.C. The staff found out that Mew2King and ADHD had split, so because of that they were both banned from MLG Dallas. It wasn't soon after that when Brawl was removed from MLG altogether.

The chances of it being brought back as a "throwback event" are high, and my friends' plan is to make it as hype as possible, but I don't see it coming back to MLG on the regular.

El Sloth

Banned
Professor Beef said:
It happened back at MLG D.C. The staff found out that Mew2King and ADHD had split, so because of that they were both banned from MLG Dallas. It wasn't soon after that when Brawl was removed from MLG altogether.

The chances of it being brought back as a "throwback event" are high, and my friends' plan is to make it as hype as possible, but I don't see it coming back to MLG on the regular.
They split the pot? Oh wow. Can't imagine that people are too happy with those dudes.

El Sloth said:
They split the pot? Oh wow. Can't imagine that people are too happy with those dudes.
The shock has worn off since then (it was back around October, after all), and people are in love with them again. :^/

Back then though? There was some fury going around along with the "X player can win now" jokes. It didn't help that Mew2King

1) Tried to lie to save his skin
2) Finally told the truth AFTER ADHD did.

In the end though, people were willing to forgive. I'll never understand the hypocrisy in that community, even though I've been a part of it for so many years. Right after Dallas, people were saying "we don't need MLG, we've survived this long without it." Then when the throwback events were announced and people could vote for them, people switched sides almost immediately.

def sim

Sounds like the Smash community is filled with kids, the way they flip flop with their decisions.
smuggest.gif

JK!

It's funny that people keep mentioning that they are getting a bit choked, because this actually inspires the exact opposite emotion in me. It doesnt mean people are sad of course, I'm just so happy that he is so upbeat about the obvious limitations he has. In reality, focusing on what you CAN do is what a lot of people should do instead of dwelling on what they can't do. I can't play shotos, but I can beast with charge characters. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over sucking with Ryu, im just going to get as good with bipson as possible!

El Sloth said:

Pot splitting happens in almost all tournaments, and if the grand finalists are from the same area (ex norcal, japan, etc. etc.) it's just about guaranteed the pot is split.

El Sloth said:

I think this might deserve it's own thread.
I agree...Much respect to this man...

SmokeMaxX

Pot splitting isn't that big of a deal. A lot of people have been using the M2K incident as a reason to hate on Smash even though it happens quite frequently in various fighting games.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Rice-Eater said:
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWqqWOZBWSk

Most of you guys have probably already heard of it or maybe you've seen it already. But for those who haven't it's a trailer for "Focus", a upcoming documentary about Mike Ross.
Wow, thanks for sharing. Had no idea they were doing this kind of thing, and it looks really cool. Does any other genre of game go to this extent?

Also, major respect to Broly. Just amazing.

rivals

Rice-Eater said:
Most of you guys have probably already heard of it or maybe you've seen it already. But for those who haven't it's a trailer for "Focus", a upcoming documentary about Mike Ross.

This is awesome. I finally watched the I Got Next trailer yesterday, I'm really stoked about all of the documentaries coming up, they all look great.

El Sloth

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Pot splitting happens in almost all tournaments, and if the grand finalists are from the same area (ex norcal, japan, etc. etc.) it's just about guaranteed the pot is split.
SmokeMaxX said:
Pot splitting isn't that big of a deal. A lot of people have been using the M2K incident as a reason to hate on Smash even though it happens quite frequently in various fighting games.
Had no idea pot splitting was a common occurrence.
KqfeV.jpg

Makes sense though.

I watched the Broly Legs interview last night. That shit was inspring, and the taunt was ice cold.

Happy Friday to SF GAF, and ths new Ultra Edition or whatever it's gonna be called needs to drop NOW

SmokeMaxX

El Sloth said:
Had no idea pot splitting was a common occurrence.
KqfeV.jpg

Makes sense though.
Filipino Champ admitted to doing it and it's widely suspected that the Korean Tekken players that come to America do it at most of the events they're in.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I just upgraded my computer to a super sweet i5 2500k system, but I found out my PS3 Madcatz TE doesn't work because it requires an incompatible USB chipset :( :(

Anybody else have this problem before? From googling, the SRK thread about this seems to say that buying a USB card is the only solution. *grumble grumble*

vissione

Banned
Aruarian Reflection said:
I just upgraded my computer to a super sweet i5 2500k system, but I found out my PS3 Madcatz TE doesn't work because it requires an incompatible USB chipset :( :(

Anybody else have this problem before? From googling, the SRK thread about this seems to say that buying a USB card is the only solution. *grumble grumble*

I had the same exact "problem" which I "solved" by getting a 360 TE stick because my PC is a SFF type case and PCI cards don't fit inside it. I don't even use it anymore now that I don't play SF4 on PC or 3S on GGPO.

The HRAP3 that I had before that worked perfectly on PS3/PC but I sold it =/ cause Markman's iluminati marketing worked on me. So yea... it's a common problem especially on nvidia chipsets like mine that dont have the UHCI Proprietary Intel Standard.

Dang, T.Hawk is so much better in SSFIV then in HDR. Tried to hit people with his standing jab, and got disappointed as it barely reached past him, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom