• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry barlog is dumb easy. at all levels. a incompetent balrog can fight with a high level player due to balrog's tools.

Chun is easy at low to mid level play and online where backdash sweep and hizanshu are unpunishable and unblockable respectively.
Shotos are easy at low level play
Vega is easy at low to mid level play. (except in AE where he gets faceraped if you dont know what you are doing and only know the AZ Greg special)

Imm0rt4l

Viper is a poor measurement for anything tier related, she has poor normals, but she doesn't really adhere to the rules of Street Fighter so she can be either garbage or GDLK. Viper has always been good, and by that I mean she has always been competitive since she's always had great mixups/mindfuck shenanigans, 50/50 guessingames, damageoutput.

AkumaHokoru said:
sorry barlog is dumb easy. at all levels. a incompetent balrog can fight with a high level player due to balrog's tools.

-_-

That is all.

Edit: Anyone going to EVO this year staying at the Rio or another hotel?

Imm0rt4l

ehh.....not sure that's something I can co-sign, but I don't play balrog. I'll say his learning curve isn't particularly steep though.

jlai

Threi said:
You are aware that vanilla Sagat's sole worst matchup in that game was Akuma right? His tier ranking did not change. He was, and still is able to shut down a large portion of the cast with his mixup options, his health unchanged from both versions. According to you because of his low health the reward was not worth the risk due to the high damage output of other characters, but that isn't the case. Akuma was hell for vanilla Sagat players.

The S.LP HK loop sure was fun. 1 jab almost guaranteed a stun

black_vegeta said:
-_-

That is all.

Edit: Anyone going to EVO this year staying at the Rio or another hotel?

I'm planning to stay at the Gold Coast. Dat East Coast poverty strikes again :(

AkumaHokoru said:

Chun is easy at low to mid level play and online where backdash sweep and hizanshu are unpunishable and unblockable respectively.
Shotos are easy at low level play
Vega is easy at low to mid level play. (except in AE where he gets faceraped if you dont know what you are doing and only know the AZ Greg special)

Practically nailed everything. I've lost to many Balrog's that can't even do the simplest combo, but can mash jab, anti-air my jumps with cr. HP, and mix up there rush punches. A low level Rog will scare me more then a low level Ryu any day.

I also have a local player in my area using Chun. He does the same things all the time and gets away with it against me because I just can't adjust. With me being the Shoto player of the bunch, that tells you where I'm at unfortunately.

AkumaHokoru said:
You know the difference between a bad rog getting lucky and a truly skilled rog.

Yes, that I do know. It's a damn shame that there are Rog players out there that are giving us decent Rogs a bad name.

Rice-Eater said:

My wife and I are debating on where to stay. She doesn't like the Rio since it's at the south end of the strip.

Imm0rt4l

Rice-Eater said:

Practically nailed everything. I've lost to many Balrog's that can't even do the simplest combo, but can mash jab, anti-air my jumps with cr. HP, and mix up there rush punches. A low level Rog will scare me more then a low level Ryu any day.

I also have a local player in my area using Chun. He does the same things all the time and gets away with it against me because I just can't adjust. With me being the Shoto player of the bunch, that tells you where I'm at unfortunately.

I actually agree with that, but I've always attributed it to Rog having advantage over Gouken and dudley anyways to begin with. I guess it's more universal than I originally thought.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
I'm also his counter pick for whatever reason. In the past year or so I've fought him three times in tourney matches, and won all of them.

V_Arnold

For the record:
After years of Ryu/Akuma/Ken/Sagat dominance in online play, I for one WELCOME the change when a Yun/Yang is the new "best character", because it will bring HUGE variety to everyone.

I do not care if people ride OP train with them - they always do. But this time, it wont be Ryu/Sagat/Ken or to a certain extent, Akuma. Which is awesome.

V_Arnold said:
For the record:
After years of Ryu/Akuma/Ken/Sagat dominance in online play, I for one WELCOME the change when a Yun/Yang is the new "best character", because it will bring HUGE variety to everyone.

I do not care if people ride OP train with them - they always do. But this time, it wont be Ryu/Sagat/Ken or to a certain extent, Akuma. Which is awesome.
Everyone will play Evil Ryu dude.

It's not like SFIV online was swimming in Rufuses.

V_Arnold

_dementia said:
Everyone will play Evil Ryu dude.

It's not like SFIV online was swimming in Rufuses.

True, my bad. I will try it out too. But ultimately, if it is SFIV/SSFIV/SSFIVAE, it will be about Viper practice in training mode for me :D

black_vegeta said:
Yes, that I do know. It's a damn shame that there are Rog players out there that are giving us decent Rogs a bad name.
Sorry. Although winning with Blocked TAP -> EX-HB -> Ultra is so much fun.

Hitokage said:
I'm also his counter pick for whatever reason. In the past year or so I've fought him three times in tourney matches, and won all of them.

Don't tell him I told you this but man he hates you because of this. He kicks my ass all day long, but can't stand the fact that he has lost to you when he sees that you and I are on a similar level. I love the look on his face when I bring up his tourney losses to you.

Threi said:
What reasons are that? He does well against the current top tier of SSF4 for different reasons than the current top tier of Vanilla, that is true. That doesn't really address your initial claim though, that it is due to risk/reward being a direct correlation of damage output. How Akuma does against Honda and Guile is irrelevant. How about how he does against SSF4 Sagat? Despite Sagat having his damage nerfed, the matchup is relatively the same, if not better for Sagat. That directly flies in the theory that raw damage output is what determines matches. It's toolsets of the characters.

I never said it was a direct correlation. I said damage is a bigger factor than what you give credit for. You on the other hand disregard it completely in favor of things being "hard to punish", hence me emphasizing it more.

You addressing specific matchups means my points didn't get to you, so I'll explain them further.

"He's top tier in Super for different reasons (although rooted in the same strengths) because surprise surprise the top tier in Super are of a different likeness, including characters like Honda and Guile."

Meaning, the criteria for being a better character in Super Street Fighter IV is different than Street Fighter IV. I think you agree this.

Then this makes your previous point moot:

"You are aware that vanilla Sagat's sole worst matchup in that game was Akuma right? His tier ranking did not change. He was, and still is able to shut down a large portion of the cast with his mixup options, his health unchanged from both versions. According to you because of his low health the reward was not worth the risk due to the high damage output of other characters, but that isn't the case. Akuma was hell for vanilla Sagat players."

It was not that Akuma stayed the same due to the utility of his mixups. It was that the environment of the game shifted and when everything was said and done with the new strengths and weaknesses of every character, Akuma was tops again.

And this makes the idea that Yun would stay the same, disregarding the changes of other characters, naive. Akuma isn't the same. That's why I mentioned Guile and Honda, characters who weren't even touched in the previous version.

Viper is a poor measurement to base anything on. Viper for almost the entirety of vanilla was largely unexplored, it wasn't until super that we were starting to get a grasp of what she was capable of.

Viper may have not changed much, but the Viper player did. This is why I said it's stupid to argue over hypothetical scenarios, there are too many variables to account for.

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said his "cheapness" transcends games. I stated that his strengths as a character would benefit him in all of the versions of street fighter, much like, say, Akuma. That is not to say that AE Yun plopped into another game would be weak, but it is to say that vanilla SF4 is not one of those games. Not that much has changed between the versions, what has developed most of all has been the mindset of players, and their abilities to make use of tools characters have in this game. Yun, has those tools.

Then tell me, what is this new Viper tech that I don't know about.

And it's funny you throw out the knowledge card out there. How much experience do you have fighting Yun?

One person in Japan says that Yun is fine. Many others say he dominates the cast. Until I see that Sagat player beating down Yuns left and right I will go with the majority on this one.

RF (the sagat player) actually said Yun was the best character in the game. Reminding you again, that doesn't make him infallible, incapable of error, have zero weaknesses, picking him means the world comes to an end etc. This Yun you're describing is something from your nightmares, then the actual character.

Yun has safe specials, ex variants included, fast meter gain, huge damage output when a super is stocked, and fast, easily hit conformable normals. For his pressure he is good defensively, with high priority, fast reversals that the opponent has to be aware of.

And for the record Yang is just as much of a problem as Yun is.

Do you not believe that Yun, nor Yang are top tier? Do you believe that the reaction to AE in both Japan, and America, and the explosion in playerbase for those characters are purely by coincidence? Why are you willfully acting oblivious to the fact that these characters, are indeed more powerful than they should be?

This all started actually when I said AE Yun would probably be a B/C rank character in Vanilla to Professor Beef saying he rather fight a field of vanilla Sagats, and you laughed at my claim. So, actually, I'm just waiting for you to prove why Yun is specifically cheap to the point where he, unlike any other character that's been put in the game, can completely disregard the overall changes to the cast. I think it's a pretty bold claim, considering we've seen characters go from zero to hero and more often than not it's due to a lack of changes.

Yun is top tier in AE. He certainly is better than Yang. The way you sized up Yun, you can make a lot of characters in this game scary. You can give me a list of Seth's capabilities or dwell on some specific capability like Juri being able to dash under fireballs. It doesn't tell me anything in context to the rest of the cast, which you seem to often ignore. Also, Geneijin doesn't do a lot of damage. It's the meter building that's the biggest offender, because Yun is one of the only characters in the game who can spend bar with little to no repercussion.

Imm0rt4l said:
Viper is a poor measurement for anything tier related, she has poor normals, but she doesn't really adhere to the rules of Street Fighter so she can be either garbage or GDLK. Viper has always been good, and by that I mean she has always been competitive since she's always had great mixups/mindfuck shenanigans, 50/50 guessingames, damageoutput.

You can't tier mixup characters now? News to me.

Kimosabae

Banned
Viper only becomes easy mode against people that don't know how to block crossup burnkick - which is surprisingly, still most people. After that, she's a lowlife character that requires guesswork just to board her momentum train - one that easily becomes a smoldering wreck in the hands of average execution.

Thank god she does such high damage or she'd be worthless.

Threi

notag
*sigh*

I'm not sure where you get this idea that I think Yun is some overpowered freak that is unbeatable. For the last time, yes I do feel he is a strong character, and yes saying he would be at B/C tier in Vanilla is ridiculous. You say I am overestimating the average damage output of that game, I say you are underestimating the tools Yun has. You are dragging this conversation further and further off topic, and that is something I don't wish to do. If you believe that he would be bad in that game, that is fine and dandy. But it isn't happening, and it isn't worth wasting keystrokes over.

I am done with this topic.

Satyamdas

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Viper only becomes easy mode against people that don't know how to block crossup burnkick - which is surprisingly, still most people. After that, she's a lowlife character that requires guesswork just to board her momentum train - one that easily becomes a smoldering wreck in the hands of average execution.

Funniest thing I've read all day, and that's including the "Sim is easy mode" posts (I fucking lol'd).

Yeah, Viper's mixup game is soooo weak and requires guesswork. My eyes would be rolling out of my head if they could right about now. She has meaty crossup burn kicks, fake crossup jump ins from full screen, ambiguous as fuck actual crossup with fucking roundhouse of all moves, feints into throws or cr.mk xx tk for stupid damage and stun, etc. This is all before getting into her trade > ultra anti air and other dumb shit.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the top 2 legit pp players in NA use Viper? I think that pretty clearly illustrates that her mixups are stupid good. 2+ years into the game and people (even tournament level players) still cannot block her shit because it is too effective. Having crazy damage output on top of that mixup ability is just dumb, which is why Abel and Rufus and Cammy can go DIAF along with her. Elf is another stupid character who doesn't belong in SF (like Viper doesn't) who's mixups are just asinine, but at least he doesn't do ridiculous damage like the others.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I love it when we're cruising together.

You can get your ass kicked by any character if you don't know the match up.

-=punches kuma=-

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kimosabae said:
Viper only becomes easy mode against people that don't know how to block crossup burnkick - which is surprisingly, still most people.
Eh, Viper's a lot more than just burning kick.

Kimosabae said:
After that, she's a lowlife character that requires guesswork just to board her momentum train - one that easily becomes a smoldering wreck in the hands of average execution.

But I agree with this. Viper's still pretty dumb though.

Satyamdas said:
Yeah, Viper's mixup game is soooo weak and requires guesswork.

I don't think he's talking about her mixups, I think he's talking about getting to the point where she can apply them.

And if not, well, I am.

Satyamdas

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
I don't think he's talking about her mixups, I think he's talking about getting to the point where she can apply them.

And if not, well, I am.
Yeah, punishing a fireball into knockdown from fullscreen either by ex seismo or super jump into combo, or ex seismo'ing anyone foolish enough to try and play footsies with Viper is so difficult. Her jump in is basically a free mixup since she can not be effectively anti aired at all unless you want to risk getting hit with a fat combo and then immediately dealing with her mixups. In every single Viper match I watch, she has zero problems getting a knockdown, and that is all it takes to completely steamroll a character since her damage and stun output is so high.

I'm seriously perplexed that you guys have trouble getting knock downs with Viper. o_O

Kimosabae

Banned
Leave it to a Sim player to constantly bitch and moan about Viper's mixup game.

Boo-fucking-hoo, your character doesn't have a reversal -> half-life combo to make Viper think twice about pressure strings and wakeup shenanigans. Deal.

Who said her mixup game is weak? Her means of initiating her mixups is what's weak, not the mixups themselves. She has no reliable footsie game to generate knockdowns - she's forced to be risky with burnkicks, seismos and jump-ins at neutral to get in, or force players to get jittery with feints and make a mistake - there's nothing solid about this and cannot be quantified on paper, but it's what every Viper relies on to win. Guess right with focus, jump-in or uppercut and Viper pays with 30-50% of her life -> oki.

What makes Viper vulnerable outside execution requirements and lower life is her reliance on momentum to win. It's the psychological safeguard (along with low life) in her offense that leaves her open to huge reversal punishments against most of the cast if she's not careful in her pressure.

Outside meaty BK and cl. MP her frames are whack as fuck and the only reason people even sit and block her bullshit and allow themselves to get put in a blender is because of how unfamiliar they are with the character - people still can't figure out that if you see flashing lights in a block string you should be prepared to block the other way or crouch-tech. She can't really mix you up until you've proven you can block crossup BK. After that, BK shenanigans are severely weakened.

Feinting in a blockstring gives zero additional frame advantage, so there's no real reason to treat her feints like anything special in relation to other characters with tick setups. It's almost pure smoke and mirrors. At best, she gets to use a Fierce as a tick or make punishable normals safe. Cry more.

Who gives a fuck about Xbox Live? Get that shit out of here.

*edit*

Looking at your last post, the Sim bias is on clear display. "Can't be reliably anti-aired"? Sure. Versus Sim. Yes, Sim has problems zoning Viper - we know this, which is partly why it's considered a bad matchup for him.

Let's ignore the fact that you're demonizing a character for having to use bar just to have a powerful option in footsies.

I'm not saying the character is not damned good, but she's not easy mode in the slightest. Get out of here with that whiny bullshit.

Kimosabae

Banned
biosnake20 said:
who said she was easy mode?

Saty was counterpointing my post defending Viper against allegations of being Easy Mode. It's not expressly stated.

Saty has expressly stated this numerous other times, however. This isn't the first time we've gotten into this scuffle.

Kimosabae said:
Saty was counterpointing my post defending Viper against allegations of being Easy Mode. It's not expressly stated.

Saty has expressly stated this numerous other times, however. This isn't the first time we've gotten into this scuffle.

Anyone who says viper is easy mode is mentally challenged.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So hey guys....

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Rice-Eater said:
It happens all the time against just about every character it seems. When or how it happens is so ambiguous that I can't tell when it'll happen or not.
Wow, I had no idea. This was literally the first time I'd seen such a thing. Thanks.

Satyamdas

Banned
Why do you assume that my dislike for Viper is predicated completely on my character's difficulty with her BS? Akuma and Ken for example rape me all the time with their mixups but I still enjoy fighting them. Maybe your mental abilities preclude you from holding an opinion on anything SF without it being tied explicitly to your main, but I don't have that problem. I don't like Viper because she doesn't fit within the established framework of SF, period. She should have gone straight to MvC3 where that nonsense is the bread and butter of the engine.

Her footsies are weak? Boo fucking hoo. She has some of the safest spammable specials in the game which lead to crazy damage and easy ultra setups and she can fly around the stage which means zoning her is impossible for anyone not named Honda.

Kimosabae said:
Outside meaty BK and cl. MP her frames are whack as fuck and the only reason people even sit and block her bullshit and allow themselves to get put in a blender is because of how unfamiliar they are with the character
Yeah, 2+ years into the game and people are still unfamiliar with the character. Are you shitting me? The reason people sit and block her bullshit is because the alternative is 30%+ damage and an easy ass ultra setup if they do anything else. So I'd say people ARE familiar with the character, and that her BS is so good it fucks people up despite their knowledge, not because of an absence of any.

Kimosabae said:
Feinting in a blockstring gives zero additional frame advantage, so there's no real reason to treat her feints like anything special in relation to other characters with tick setups. It's almost pure smoke and mirrors. At best, she gets to use a Fierce as a tick or make punishable normals safe. Cry more.
Uhh, I was talking about her feints being useful on her opponents wakeup, not during a fucking blockstring. Read more.

Kimosabae said:
XBL is just another piece of evidence that suggests her mixups are very good and work an inordinate amount of time. I never said that it alone is any concrete evidence of anything.

USD

_dementia said:
Wow, I had no idea. This was literally the first time I'd seen such a thing. Thanks.
It's one of the things that got fixed in AE (same with Gouken's EX Tatsu).

Kimosabae

Banned
Hey, yall! Viper's good in this game!

Surprise!

Too bad that being a good character =/= easy to play, just like being easy to play =/= easy to win with (Sim).

Her footsies are weak? Boo fucking hoo. She has some of the safest spammable specials in the game which lead to crazy damage and easy ultra setups and she can fly around the stage which means zoning her is impossible for anyone not named Honda.

By "safe and spammable specials" you must be referring to Burn Kick, which would make Viper completely pointless as a character were they actually punishable. I'm going to assume that Vipers aren't spamming LP/MP TK in your face and this is giving trouble - because that would be sad.

And Viper is hard to zone - so what? Oh, I forgot, any strengths a character may have = "easy mode".

Uhh, I was talking about her feints being useful on her opponents wakeup, not during a fucking blockstring. Read more.

If you're falling for empty feints -> throw on wakeup, you're just a sucker for base gimmickery.

And no one cares about your arbitrary and ambiguous as hell "established SF framework". She's not Pushblocking, Air Dashing or Double Jumping at you, so you're speaking meaninglessly. Sounds to me like you just want to play Super Turbo.

I'm done here. This has gotten petty too quickly, as always.

WENKB.gif

Kimosabae said:
I'm done here. This gotten petty too quickly, as always.
:(

Satyamdas

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Hey, yall! Viper's good in this game!

Surprise!

Too bad that being a good character =/= easy to play, just like being easy to play =/= easy to win with (Sim).
Why is it "too bad", and what does that even mean? All I objected to was your claim that Viper has to guess to get knockdowns and that she's "worthless" without her high damage. Fuerte has good mixups like Viper yet does shitty damage in comparison and he isn't worthless.

Kimosabae said:
By "safe and spammable specials" you must be referring to Burn Kick, which would make Viper completely pointless as a character were they actually punishable. I'm going to assume that Vipers aren't spamming LP/MP TK in your face and this is giving trouble - because that would be sad.
Burn kick is spammable and safe, so are seismos, and so are tk's. I don't know what kind of Viper you are playing where mp tk or cr.mk xx mp.tk is completely useless, but good Viper players use it to put pressure on all the time because it is safe on block and if it hits it does great damage/stun. And it breaks armor. Her footsies being "bad" makes mp. tk a great fucking poke. I fail to see what's so "sad" about that.

Kimosabae said:
And Viper is hard to zone - so what? Oh, I forgot, any strengths a character may have = "easy mode".
Except I never said that, did I?

If you can't zone her, you end up blocking rather than AA'ing or attacking. This lets her jump in for free and makes getting a knockdown easier. And no, this does not apply only to Sim. I watch plenty of matches and see Viper completely remove characters' ability to zone her. Since she can jump in and fly around for free she eventually gets a knockdown, if she doesn't get one early and easily as a punish.

Kimosabae said:
If you're falling for empty feints -> throw on wakeup, you're just a sucker for base gimmickery.
Jesus fucking Christ. This is not about what I do or don't fall for. The point was that she has it as a tool to use among many others on her opponents wakeup.

Kimosabae said:
And no one cares about your arbitrary and ambiguous as hell "established SF framework". She's not Pushblocking, Air Dashing or Double Jumping at you, so you're speaking meaninglessly. Sounds to me like you just want to play Super Turbo.
I do play Super Turbo. So what?

Viper's an abomination that doesn't belong in SF, and for that matter neither do super jumps in general, so Ibuki can GTFO too for all I care. :)

Kimosabae said:
I'm done here. This gotten petty too quickly, as always.
Oh, really? All I did was question the claim that Viper has to guess to be effective and that "durrr her mixup game is shitty if only you dummies would just learn to block".

You then replied with:
Kimosabae said:
Leave it to a Sim player to constantly bitch and moan about Viper's mixup game.
Kimosabae said:
Boo-fucking-hoo, your character doesn't have a reversal -> half-life combo to make Viper think twice about pressure strings and wakeup shenanigans. Deal.
Kimosabae said:
Cry more.
Kimosabae said:
Kimosabae said:
Get out of here with that whiny bullshit.
Get more butthurt about someone trolling your character please. I don't like Viper, but I also don't take this shit to heart or consider a little shit talk to be "petty". It's just a game bruh and I like to have fun with it. Seems like you are wound a little too tightly when it comes to this shit.

Go ahead and shit all over Sim's nonsense and see if I take offense to it or cry about pettiness. More likely I will acknowledge your points, agree with them and proceed to shit on him myself. If I disagree it will be with cold hard logic and reasoning, not with emotions. I am not emotionally vested in my main or in any character in this game. Maybe take a step back and realize that a person bitching about Viper is nothing to get worked up about? Or maybe it is, I dunno.

USD said:
It's one of the things that got fixed in AE (same with Gouken's EX Tatsu).

Well that explains it. I've been watching Evil Ryu footage and he never has this problem, even when I swear it was at a range where it should have happened.

As for Viper, I'm not a big fan of some of the newer characters like Viper, Abel, and Fuerte. Abel I don't mind because he doesn't have crazy speed and mobility like the other two. When I play Fuerte, it's like I"m not even playing SF, but at least he doesn't do crazy damage. And that's what I hate about Viper. She has safe specials, can punish real hard, and has so many ways to land Ultra.

Kadey said:
I love it when we're cruising together.

You can get your ass kicked by any character if you don't know the match up.

-=punches kuma=-
-parries-

In addition to a disgaea addict...I'm a 3rd strike player

Satyamdas

Banned
For the record I was just objecting to Kimosabae's claim that Viper has to guess to get a knockdown, that her mixups are easy to block, and that without her high damage she would be a "worthless" character. I disagree with every one of those points. I don't care if anyone thinks Viper or Sim are easy mode. That is not what I was discussing.

I would also like to apologize to you, Kimosabae, for my snide remarks in earlier posts. I probably went a little too far after your first reply to me was basically "You play Sim, your argument is invalid". My bad.

Just commenting on the movement aspect. SF has always had characters with unique movement options. In SF4 there's divekicks, run, roll, SJ, teleport, etc. If you look at previous games you have guy's run, rolento roll, wall dives, etc. etc. CVS2 - the accepted spiritual successor to the mainline SF series (because it had the established ground/footsie/zoning game from 2 series -> alpha -> cvs that sf3 lacked) had institutionalized superjumps, rolls, and runs/dashes/hops.

For the record - You can shut down Fuerte pretty hard with really basic SF offense/footsies. Also most characters with good offensive momentum can like him down like a mofo. But I will admit though if you don't have a high level fuerte to play with consistently, he does hit you with the "whoamg wtf is going on" card since everything's so spastic looking.

Threi said:
*sigh*

I'm not sure where you get this idea that I think Yun is some overpowered freak that is unbeatable. For the last time, yes I do feel he is a strong character, and yes saying he would be at B/C tier in Vanilla is ridiculous. You say I am overestimating the average damage output of that game, I say you are underestimating the tools Yun has. You are dragging this conversation further and further off topic, and that is something I don't wish to do. If you believe that he would be bad in that game, that is fine and dandy. But it isn't happening, and it isn't worth wasting keystrokes over.

I am done with this topic.

LOL

Nothing went off topic. I can direct you for the flow of conversation in each piece if you want.
For example,
the idea that you think that Yun is some overpowered freak came from
you not acknowledging a possible bad matchup with Sagat, even if it came from a reputable player who has actual experience in AE. Just because it didn't fit with your vision on what Yun was as a top tier character, you said it was meaningless.

Why did I bring RF up? Because you said that Yun would do well against the top tier in vanilla (Sagat). You had no reasoning, left it as "Just because"

Threi: Yun does well against Sagat (pure theory fighting)->Dry: No he doesn't (actual reports)->Threi: I refuse to believe. ->Dry: why do you think Yun is infallible?

I can do a Satyamdas style requoting of everything if this isn't clear enough.

Why did it go in so many directions? A lot of it was you trying to find multiple methods of justifying hatred of Yun even though you're relying on solely hearsay. Are hypothetical situations stupid? Yeah. But you're the one who laughed in my face, acting like you knew better at this stupid situation. You have nothing to show for it in the end. You can't even differentiate between Yun and Yang.

Maybe Yun is a blessing in disguise. I remember when Mago/Daigo/Tokido first released their impressions of AE, Fei Long was on a tier of his own, and the floodgates opened to hate on the character. "Feilong is op, feilong takes no skill" even though he was pretty much the same character. Made me sad. But now with Yun hatred apparent, thanks to tokido's final round interview, people have stop focusing on fei and put all their irrational hate onto yun. maybe fei will avoid the nerf stick again due to that. lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Satyamdas said:
Yeah, punishing a fireball into knockdown from fullscreen either by ex seismo or super jump into combo, or ex seismo'ing anyone foolish enough to try and play footsies with Viper is so difficult. Her jump in is basically a free mixup since she can not be effectively anti aired at all unless you want to risk getting hit with a fat combo and then immediately dealing with her mixups. In every single Viper match I watch, she has zero problems getting a knockdown, and that is all it takes to completely steamroll a character since her damage and stun output is so high.

I'm seriously perplexed that you guys have trouble getting knock downs with Viper. o_O

You gotta guess to punish fireballs with a superjump into a combo and naked superjumps can get her into trouble real quick. ex seismo...yeah, but it costs a meter and if you don't want to just trade with the fireball the timing isn't free in general. Of course, this isn't as much of an issue with characters with slow-ass fireballs.

Random tk burning kicks are focus bait from the right range and are techable knockdowns on hit and don't leave her in a really good position to follow up. Yeah, she can follow up with another burning kick mixup, but that's usually one of the only mixups available to her more ambiguous than a tick throw, plus burning kicks don't do much damage unless she has you in the corner. Less damage than a throw. Untechable knockdowns are where her mixup game gets really scary, and she's only gonna get those off a throw (and while still extremely dangerous, this was nerfed from vanilla to super), fierce-feint-fierce into sweep, or ex seismo from close range.

Not saying that these tools aren't good overall, because they are. I also sort of agree that Viper is stupid, which is one of the reasons why I only really play her these days when I'm bored or when I get frustrated with turtle Ryus or Guiles or Sagats (and one of the reasons I'm playing less Makoto these days, even though Makoto is nowhere near as good as Viper in her current form). But against a lot of the cast, these things aren't as free as you seem to be implying and can get her blown up real quick if they're exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom