• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invisible_Insane said:
I'm not sure if you saw some of my earlier posts--I am terrible at this game. I wouldn't be at all surprised to have my ass kicked squarely by her, or by anyone else. I also don't know how good you are, so that doesn't really tell me anything about how good she would be in comparison. I'm more of a highly-interested observer than I am a player.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't call anything about this match (Southern Impact, pretty recent) exceptional, even though she won. She could be better than the majority of Kens, but 51-99 is a pretty significant range, and I'd probably put her in the mid-60s to low 70s.

You may be a highly interested observer, but you are not a good judge of skill. Her ken was solid as hell. She definately needs to stop jumping so much and mix up her step kicks a bit, but she is otherwise a really good player. She barely dropped any combos, FADC'd correctly every time and had a really good spacing game. I win about 80% of my matches and I think that if she learned to stop jumping she would probably whip my ass. It's pretty hard to have that "special something" with Ken due to the fact that he really doesnt have many things that can allow him the wow factor. That being said, i never once saw an ex tatsu in the high low combo which allows the 50-50 moment that can make ken seem godly. I would put her at around a 75-80 no problem from that video alone. Maybe if she gets rushdown and she gets frazzled I would demote her to your rank, but that bipson had decent pressure and she didnt crack so I cant just assume she sucks.

Kimosabae

Banned
Never had the opportunity to play 2nd Impact but, is it just me, or were those stages godly in comparison to 3rd Strike?

Ken and Sean seem to have traded places, really.

Yeah, the NG and 21 backgrounds were great. You can tell 3S had a comparatively smaller budget. I wish they would have tried to include the 2I stages on the home ports of 3S at least.

Fun fact, arcade 2I also has a true 16:9 mode. It altered the game though because it gave the players more horizontal screen space instead of cropping the 4:3 field.
The home port of 2I did without widescreen and 3S arcade and console did without the feature entirely.

Onion_Relish said:
You may be a highly interested observer, but you are not a good judge of skill. Her ken was solid as hell. She definately needs to stop jumping so much and mix up her step kicks a bit, but she is otherwise a really good player. She barely dropped any combos, FADC'd correctly every time and had a really good spacing game. I win about 80% of my matches and I think that if she learned to stop jumping she would probably whip my ass. It's pretty hard to have that "special something" with Ken due to the fact that he really doesnt have many things that can allow him the wow factor. That being said, i never once saw an ex tatsu in the high low combo which allows the 50-50 moment that can make ken seem godly. I would put her at around a 75-80 no problem from that video alone. Maybe if she gets rushdown and she gets frazzled I would demote her to your rank, but that bipson had decent pressure and she didnt crack so I cant just assume she sucks.
No need to go ad hominem on me, I'm just defending my point of view.

You're correct in saying that she didn't drop many combos, but that was because she didn't attempt many--she relied extraordinarily heavily on tick throws. Obviously throws are hugely important to Ken's game, but I think in those matches she would have easily been bested by someone who had observed this and made the relevant adjustments. I'm not trying to insult her--she is far, far better than I can hope to be in the next several months.

Also, I think because I am statistically-minded, I was thinking about the number rating I assigned in terms of percentiles. So I wasn't saying she is 70/99 of a theoretically ideal Ken, but better than 70 percent of all Kens. Perhaps that score is still too low; on the other hand, I think there is a pretty wide skill differential between BurnYourBra and players like Dr. Chaos, Joon the Baboon, or Banana Ken, and I think my rating reflects that.

El Sloth

Banned
_dementia said:
Yeah, the NG and 21 backgrounds were great. You can tell 3S had a comparatively smaller budget. I wish they would have tried to include the 2I stages on the home ports of 3S at least.
I've always wondered why they didn't just carry the stages over to 3rd strike. I remember that there was a while that I didn't even know NG and 2I had different stages(I played 3S first).

El Sloth said:
I've always wondered why they didn't just carry the stages over to 3rd strike. I remember that there was a while that I didn't even know NG and 2I had different stages(I played 3S first).
CPS3 memory limitations I assume

El Sloth said:

Funny fact or just a case for time/budgetary contraints. The backgrounds in NG are actually the best out of all three Street Fighter III iterations.

They actually got worse with each upgrade. Less animation, effects, etc.

One of my main gripes about SFIV was the lack of backgrounds. There were so few and they didn't really relate to any character.

MVC3 does a much better job of backgrounds.

ShinAmano

So...just got to try the 3DS for the first time and it was Super inside it. I have to say I was really impressed with both the graphics and the 3D effect. So much so in fact that if there were 6 button on the front of the system and they were slightly larger I would have bought it on the spot.

Anyhow I know I am probably one of the last gaffers to try the 3DS but I thought it was pretty cool.

ShinAmano

El Sloth said:
That would be awesome.

mbmonk

Invisible_Insane said:
I don't think his argument at all articulates reasons to think I am a poor judge of skill; rather, it focuses on reasons why I should consider BYB a better player than currently I do.

I would assume you were basing your opinion of her skill level on your own judgments of her play, and not based on what someone else had told you ( aka you linking to the video and making your a comment on it).

The poster describes why she is a better player than you judged her to be. That is supporting his argument on your judgment skills.

He attacked your argument; not you. It wasn't an Ad Hominem, in my mind at least.

rivals

Can't decide if I want to dual mod or just grab a 360 stick or what. Kinda waiting to see if they announce any AE stick or anything, even though dual modding my PS3 TE is the cheaper way I'm lazy.

EDIT: Obviously I don't mean for EVO though, I'm set for that, I just mean because most local shit here is 360. And I'm planning on getting live when AE comes out. Gotta learn the matchups and the arcade would get expensive every day haha.

Kimosabae

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Anyhow I know I am probably one of the last gaffers to try the 3DS but I thought it was pretty cool.

Don't express shame, because I've been in the same building with the thing numerous times and have yet to even look in a kiosk's direction. I have zero interest in the thing.

Joekage

Really pissed that the comments directed at her originated from our biggest tournament here in Dallas (Absolute Battle). Can't believe someone had the gall to say that shit. I wish she would have let me know as that's bullshit and needs to be called out. Hopefully the offending person wasn't from Dallas, as we had a number of states and out of towners come through but still, that puts a bad stigma on our tournaments in Dallas and Texas as a whole needs all the help it can get to receive potential support and sponsors for our tournaments to expand. Ugh..

Kunohara

My Chun TE S stick just arrived after waiting for a week. This is my first stick, and I am very excited to go home tonight and try it out. I suck at the game, but I find it damn fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm bored, and this thread moves slower than a snail...

Someone post funny/cool Super/AE stuff.

kitzkozan

Rice-Eater said:
Very interesting interview with Burnyourbra.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/apr/15/dmgburnyourbra-discusses-difficulties-being-female-gamer/

I had no idea what she has gone through the past year. I have even more respect for her for not only placing well, but having to put up with shit like that and not letting it discourage or affect her.

Given all the sexist crap that has been posted on SRK throughout the years, especially before the revival in 2009 it's not surprising in the least. It's probably a little less harsh for asian female as she say, but it's still an uphill battle for women.

Rocky_Balboa said:
Played against one of Europe's best Dudleys, Kimokoan. Very close fights. I was very close but then messed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwrLMIUXS8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShgs6wVW8c

I found kimokan again in an endless lobby and fought. This time I won but he did the same thing as last time which is leaving as soon as he loses. I don't know if is just that kind of player, but it has happened twice already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1iq0lV3zk

I read the BYB interview. It's a shame to see people still saying racial remarks like that. I'm all about seeing the FG community grow. It's great females are playing, but idiots out there are setting things back with their actions.

I think it's b.s. personally. There's hype and competitive/fun trash talk but for her to be called those names is disrespectful.

I'm surprised she's continued to play and perservere in the scene. And she gets my respect, especially since she's blossomed into a good player.

Imm0rt4l

Rocky_Balboa said:
I found kimokan again in an endless lobby and fought. This time I won but he did the same thing as last time which is leaving as soon as he loses. I don't know if is just that kind of player, but it has happened twice already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1iq0lV3zk

Like I said earlier, he likes playing bad players. I'm not the type to leave as soon as I lose, I'm pretty fucking relentless actually.

on a somewhat related note I beat a balrog player and he switched to blanka, so it became my dudley vs his blanka(supposedly the match is supposed to be in my favor, but i don't know the matchup well). He beat me twice then kicked me, I suppose he would have preferred that I switched characters or something, but I really wanted to learn the matchup. That is more understandable then leaving after taking an L.

Spiderjericho said:
I think it's b.s. personally. There's hype and competitive/fun trash talk but for her to be called those names is disrespectful.

I'm surprised she's continued to play and perservere in the scene. And she gets my respect, especially since she's blossomed into a good player.

Not according to the "highly-interested observer."

Just giving you shit Dos Equis guy. Stay thirsty my friend. :p

Those comments in the eventhubs thread about ByB is depressing.

It seems so simple. Don't be an asshole and be respectful to other players. Maybe I grew up on a alien planet, seems so simple to me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
B1gg_Randall said:
Im getting it...I really hope Mortal Kombat does good in the competitive scene.

Let's play a game. HDR or Super. I don't care. We need to entertain old man Saty before he falls asleep and doesn't wake up until Sunday.

Kadey said:
Let's play a game. HDR or Super. I don't care. We need to entertain old man Saty before he falls asleep and doesn't wake up until Sunday.
If you mean right now I cant =( Im babysitting my niece..ill play later for sure though..

Threi said:
if losing matches makes people salty then it's probably the best idea for them to bail out early.

That's a nice way of looking at it. I just hate it when I match up against a good player, and they leave after 1 or 2 matches. Fucking hit and run bs. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but when it happens so often, it still makes me salty

Rice-Eater said:
Very interesting interview with Burnyourbra.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/apr/15/dmgburnyourbra-discusses-difficulties-being-female-gamer/

I had no idea what she has gone through the past year. I have even more respect for her for not only placing well, but having to put up with shit like that and not letting it discourage or affect her.

That's weird. She's at almost all the same tourneys I go to, and I know 90% of all the players in Tx. I never heard those things said about her, the black remarks are especially surprising since there's a bunch of black players in Tx as well. Maybe there's a vocal minority that I'm unaware of and they kind of just keep to themselves. Regardless, if it's as bad as she makes it out to be, then that's def fucked up.

Edit - also worth mentioning that about all the top players in Tx are hispanic or black lol, Hsien Chang, Viet and Toan are the only asians that come to mind

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Streaming an endless. Just me and Vis holding it down right now. Need more GAFFers.

Old man Saty is doing.............something.

http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe#/w/1087339984

I live by the notion. Give everybody respect from the get-go. It's up to them to decide whether they want to keep it. And treat others as you want to be treated. Joking around and stuff is okay. Personal attacks are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom