• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers guys.

S-Kill confirms AE is a straight port.

New replay infrastructure available for Super as well, not need to buy AE dlc for it. Super players can watch AE replays as well.

Edit: I've seen that video before!

Goodness, these are like most players I come across when I play ranked and set skill level to "Any". Not a great display of skill, but I'm still glad these guys came out to play and hopefully they'll want to level up when they see guys like Art and Nerdjosh play.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
S-Kill gave a SF talk in the New York University?
He has a degree in philosophy or something right?

Fraeon

What did Seth say about tech rolls? Just when he was about to actually mention something about those, my connection crapped out. Now he seems to be off the stream. :(

rivals

I'm going to be playing some endless on PSN when the NYU stream ends. Which seems like it just happened, so about 15-20 minutes probably. If any PS3 GAF wants to play/add me my PSN username is rivalsx.

Rocky_Balboa said:
GGs Wiseblade and Spirit of Jazz.

It was a bit laggy with Wiseblade though. Somewhat playable still.

They were terrible games, my love for Wesker and Haggar has made Abel jealous to the extent that he won't even dash and roll after a TT for me :(

You were playing quite well though, your matches against platinum made for some pretty good viewing.

rivals said:
I'm going to be playing some endless on PSN when the NYU stream ends. Which seems like it just happened, so about 15-20 minutes probably. If any PS3 GAF wants to play/add me my PSN username is rivalsx.
oh? have you not been invited to the gaf psn chat yet?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
well just in case you anyone missed it. NYC GAF come out of hiding. 8 bit and up this wednesday. On the corner of 2nd ave and St marks. We're also holding casual sessions EVERY sunday. So man up and get down here..we dont bite. We get very good turnouts for sessions (last week chris G was there for dat marvel) so if you ever wanted to just play and get your game up come on down. Everyone is welcome. Phire myself and Devil Trigger will be there.

With the mention that AE is the final iteraration of the SF4 series, I can't help but wonder what the 5th in the series is going to be like. I just hope for the love of Jebus that it doesn't take another decade before that happens.

I think SF X Tekken, Super MVC3 and AE DLC numbers will be the final barometer of how soon we get another Ono Fighter.

Anyone know how well MVC3 sold on console? I don't think it did the 2 million+ that IV did (but then again, it looks to have better numbers than Super SF IV).

I just hope V isn't conservative like IV and strikes a nice balance. We're going to get Ryu/Ken/Chun but please add some new characters and systems.

DR2K

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
I think SF X Tekken, Super MVC3 and AE DLC numbers will be the final barometer of how soon we get another Ono Fighter.

Anyone know how well MVC3 sold on console? I don't think it did the 2 million+ that IV did (but then again, it looks to have better numbers than Super SF IV).

I just hope V isn't conservative like IV and strikes a nice balance. We're going to get Ryu/Ken/Chun but please add some new characters and systems.

It did the 2 million according to Capcom.

kitzkozan

Spiderjericho said:

Now that I've seen glimpse of the story mode and game options of the new Mortal Kombat, I have to wonder how that is going to change the japanese approach toward FG. This might be a similar situation to wrpg versus jrpg, as the story mode of the new MK is simply a game changer for FG in general. The new MK is gonna score big with game critics and it could negatively impact all these japanese studio if they do not have the story or single player fluff for casual in their future games ( not gonna talk about the fighting engine, as I'm not a fan of the animations, moves or hit detection of this new MK ) .

Capcom has Ed Boon and his team beat from a gameplay perspective, but is that going to be enough in the future?

kitzkozan said:
Now that I've seen glimpse of the story mode and game options of the new Mortal Kombat, I have to wonder how that is going to change the japanese approach toward FG. This might be a similar situation to wrpg versus jrpg, as the story mode of the new MK is simply a game changer for FG in general. The new MK is gonna score big with game critics and it could negatively impact all these japanese studio if they do not have the story or single player fluff for casual in their future games ( not gonna talk about the fighting engine, as I'm not a fan of the animations, moves or hit detection ) .

Well, since we know that the Japanese seem to cater somewhat to Western gamers, maybe this will force them to not dial it in with extras/modes. MVC3 had poor netcode and barebone modes.

Any word on the online experience in MK?

kitzkozan

Spiderjericho said:
Well, since we know that the Japanese seem to cater somewhat to Western gamers, maybe this will force them to not dial it in with extras/modes. MVC3 had poor netcode and barebone modes.

Any word on the online experience in MK?

no idea on the online play, but I'm mostly about the game design philosophy here.

The story mode of MK is canon and you control various characters through it, so there's plenty of cutscenes and voice acting and it's mixed with 1 vs 1 fighting ( like you are watching an interactive MK movie ).

Game critics are gonna punish any japanese developer who won't make the effort of having this in the future, you can bet on it. That's why I compare it to wrpg vs jrpg, as japanese companies are punished for their approach toward the genre these days while wrpg tend to score way higher with critics.

GGs Seph. I got to use that Honda experience right after our games, hahaha.

The two things I hate most about Super:

1) Seeing my jab already extended and hearing the noise, only for it to still get beaten by a throw.
2) Losing an extraordinary amount of points in Ranked for a loss. But then again, I'm asking for it by playing Ranked in the first place.

AZ Greg

kitzkozan said:
no idea on the online play, but I'm mostly about the game design philosophy here.

The story mode of MK is canon and you control various characters through it, so there's plenty of cutscenes and voice acting and it's mixed with 1 vs 1 fighting ( like you are watching an interactive MK movie ).

Game critics are gonna punish any japanese developer who won't make the effort of having this in the future, you can bet on it. That's why I compare it to wrpg vs jrpg, as japanese companies are punished for their approach toward the genre these days while wrpg tend to score way higher with critics.

I think most review outlets, at this point, have a competent enough reviewer that knows what's important for a fighting game. If Capcom, or any Japanese fighting game maker, can simply create a fun system with a balanced cast and some features like solid netcode, lobby system, and replay system (As was done with SSF4) then the game will score plenty fine. Don't get me wrong, a FG game that goes the extra mile in a certain mode will and should get kudos, and a game that skimps too much on features and doesn't have the engine to bail it out (KOF 12) will get rightfully shit on. But if you get the core right then most will just see the other stuff as fluff. BlazBlue: CT was full of shit including a fleshed out story mode and tons of little extras that make SSF4 look thin in comparison yet it didn't hurt the critical reception for SSF4.

And quite frankly, the last thing I'd want is Capcom, for example, focusing more on the SP experience for a couple more points in a review.

kitzkozan

AZ Greg said:
I think most review outlets, at this point, have a competent enough reviewer that knows what's important for a fighting game. If Capcom, or any Japanese fighting game maker, can simply create a fun system with a balanced cast and some features like solid netcode, lobby system, and replay system (As was done with SSF4) then the game will score plenty fine. Don't get me wrong, a FG game that goes the extra mile in a certain mode will and should get kudos, and a game that skimps too much on features and doesn't have the engine to bail it out (KOF 12) will get rightfully shit on. But if you get the core right then most will just see the other stuff as fluff. BlazBlue: CT was full of shit including a fleshed out story mode and tons of little extras that make SSF4 look thin in comparison yet it didn't hurt the critical reception for SSF4.

And quite frankly, the last thing I'd want is Capcom, for example, focusing more on the SP experience for a couple more points in a review.

Not so sure about that one, but we shall see what happen in the future.

Here's my opinion of the game engine in MK 9 : it's shit and the game does not live up to the hype once you see past the single player fluff and extra online mode. Capcom and every japanese companies of importance has NRS beat in the gameplay department imo. There's a good reason as to why the FG community has been dedicated to Capcom, Namco or even Sega ( in Japan ) and not Mortal Kombat in the past and this new offering is just a reminder.

The story mode is still superior to anything that has been done in a FG up to this point, so it should be taken into consideration when judging future game in the genre. Perhaps not a weird game like SF cross Tekken where a story wouldn't make any sense since it's not canon and just a what if scenario. For SF V however, one would expect a proper story which make sense as to who win the tournament.

Just look at Square-Enix these days and how game critics shit all over their storytelling philosophies ( this thread about Nier or jrpg developers and their approach toward storytelling is what I'm talking about :p ). You always see the same shit being written: story is god awful and doesn't make any sense blah blah. That's not the only thing wrong of course, but it is a fact that jrpg have been rated lower than wrpg since the start of this generation and there's definitively a change of heart toward the japanese approach from critics ( the best rated one is demon's souls and story is definitively not the selling aspect of the game ).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't get this JRPG/WRPG comparison you're itching to make and I really don't see how MK changes anything as various fighting games have brought considerable offerings outside VS mode both recently and not so recently.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
kitzkozan said:
Now that I've seen glimpse of the story mode and game options of the new Mortal Kombat, I have to wonder how that is going to change the japanese approach toward FG. This might be a similar situation to wrpg versus jrpg, as the story mode of the new MK is simply a game changer for FG in general. The new MK is gonna score big with game critics and it could negatively impact all these japanese studio if they do not have the story or single player fluff for casual in their future games ( not gonna talk about the fighting engine, as I'm not a fan of the animations, moves or hit detection of this new MK ) .

Capcom has Ed Boon and his team beat from a gameplay perspective, but is that going to be enough in the future?
MK was making money while SF and Versus games were on ice. MKs have always had tons of single-player extras and no one seems to have noticed at Capcom, Namco, or SNK. Unless MK sells 10 million or something, why would Japanese developers care? Japanese developers love being ten years behind on basic usability and features. Capcom will just put fighting games in hibernation again, rather than try to be progressive with the non-gameplay elements.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kitz, you're going to have at least make an attempt to quantify what makes MK9's fighting engine "shit" in order for me to take anything in that post seriously.

"It's not a Capcom/Namco/Sega fighter" doesn't qualify since it's pretty obvious this game doesn't play like those other games.

rivals

Tried playing on PSN a bit yesterday and holy shit it was like playing underwater. Might try again today but this is really pushing me to get a 360 stick + live. I really need to start learning matchups and 1-2 days a week at the arcade isn't going to cut it I don't think. As a Rufus player, there was no way I was going to hit my bnb with the lag as bad as it was yesterday and I really don't want to pick up bad habits like not going for the combo when I should be going for it every time.

El Sloth

Banned
The NYU thing yesterday was fun. Although I spent the majority of the time playing/watching AE, lol. I also finally checked out Next Level. Was a lot of fun despite getting all my money took by a really solid Rog player. Which is kinda appropriate now that I think about it. Got exposed in marvel, but I managed to make at least 1 person say "Fuck Dormmamu, that cheap bastard" so it was all worth it. It was deeper in Brooklyn then I thought, but the trip is about as long as it took me to get to CTF so I don't mind.

ShaneB said:
Figure I should poke my head in this thread to introduce myself.

Been a lurker for a while, so it's nice to post and finally get some matches in and join the lobbies on 360.

Currently sucked into the Gears 3 beta, but SSF4 is usually my go-to game, play a decent Balrog, but pretty mediocre with everyone else, just enjoy goofing around and having fun.
A little late on this, but welcome dude!

Don't forget to check on here if you want a match with some of the XBL peeps: http://wbe01.mibbit.com/?server=irc.globalgamers.net&channel=#gafranbats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom