• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vissione

Banned
rivals said:
Tried playing on PSN a bit yesterday and holy shit it was like playing underwater. Might try again today but this is really pushing me to get a 360 stick + live. I really need to start learning matchups and 1-2 days a week at the arcade isn't going to cut it I don't think. As a Rufus player, there was no way I was going to hit my bnb with the lag as bad as it was yesterday and I really don't want to pick up bad habits like not going for the combo when I should be going for it every time.

the-internet-a-series-of-tubes.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Good stuff to Art. It's like taking money from kids. Wearing my shirt too!

Good games to PSN-ers two days ago. It was fun with Saty teaching me how to better use Sim, LIVE guys showing up and Kuma bugging me for my music even though he says he hates it.

360 streaming this upcoming week!

A WTF moment. Probably never happened before. The circumstances are rare. Me and Vis actually had two wtf moments.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/283856207

----

Kitz. You forget Blazblue has a very intricate story mode. Branching paths, multiple endings, unlockables, secrets, etc. In fact, I think it's better than MK's story mode which is just straightforward.

And another thing. No single player mode in any fighter is better than SFA3's world tour and Tobal's dungeon quest modes. Them rpg elements.

Kitz. You forget Blazblue has a very intricate story mode. Branching paths, multiple endings, unlockables, secrets, etc. In fact, I think it's better than MK's story mode which is just straightforward.

And another thing. No single player mode in any fighter is better than SFA3's world tour and Tobal's dungeon quest modes. Them rpg elements.

I am both going to bury and agree with kitz.

Why MK9 is bad.

The most important thing in a fighting game is the combat...and mortal kombat has always had these issues in the mechanics that should have been fixed long long long ago. phantom limb syndrome (yes this happens in other games but in mk it reaches absurd proportions) the fights dont feel very fluid its very herky jerky, and instead of fixing these problems they invented a bunch of (awesome) modes to distract you from the core game.

Why Mk9 Is good

They did alot of things to mess with the formula that I would love to see in a better crafted fighter. They arent afraid to take chances its just unfortunate that those chances are oft ignored.

WFG v EFG.

This argument is bullshit... Guilty gear put story mode in fighting games on the map. Complete with branching paths, Blazblu and Tekken also did this (though tekken's story mode was in the form of a beat em up that also owned)(kadey sorry hun but) world tour mode was a bonus mode not story mode..but it was fucking amazing and i would kill to have it again All of those games listed there are efgs. the only western fighting game to not get laughed out of the building even by people who played it is MK and it still suffers from too much distraction not enough fighting.

DjangoReinhardt said:
MK was making money while SF and Versus games were on ice. MKs have always had tons of single-player extras and no one seems to have noticed at Capcom, Namco, or SNK. Unless MK sells 10 million or something, why would Japanese developers care? Japanese developers love being ten years behind on basic usability and features. Capcom will just put fighting games in hibernation again, rather than try to be progressive with the non-gameplay elements.

That is what I'm afraid of.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't think Capcom's going to give a shit unless their games stop selling, which is good in some ways and bad in others, IMO.

That said, can we leave the MK vs SF stuff for another thread?

kitzkozan

AkumaHokoru said:
I am both going to bury and agree with kitz.

Why MK9 is bad.

The most important thing in a fighting game is the combat...and mortal kombat has always had these issues in the mechanics that should have been fixed long long long ago. phantom limb syndrome (yes this happens in other games but in mk it reaches absurd proportions) the fights dont feel very fluid its very herky jerky, and instead of fixing these problems they invented a bunch of (awesome) modes to distract you from the core game.

Why Mk9 Is good

They did alot of things to mess with the formula that I would love to see in a better crafted fighter. They arent afraid to take chances its just unfortunate that those chances are oft ignored.

WFG v EFG.

This argument is bullshit... Guilty gear put story mode in fighting games on the map. Complete with branching paths, Blazblu and Tekken also did this (though tekken's story mode was in the form of a beat em up that also owned)(kadey sorry hun but) world tour mode was a bonus mode not story mode..but it was fucking amazing and i would kill to have it again All of those games listed there are efgs. the only western fighting game to not get laughed out of the building even by people who played it is MK and it still suffers from too much distraction not enough fighting.

You don't need to bury me, as I'm mostly talking about game critics. :p They would be the one which would enjoy the straightforward story mode of MK 9 ( because of how it's presented ). I own Alpha 3 and Guilty Gear so I know about their story / singleplayer mode, but it's all about how it's presented and MK is a much more casual friendly approach ( it's nothing short of watching an animated movie with voice acting which last 4-5 hours mixed with the typical 1 vs cpu fight ). I am 100% sure that we will be seeing comments from critics in the future which goes like this: the story in Tekken 7 make no sense / reduced to short CGI and it's unacceptable after playing the story mode in MK 9.

But yeah, the basic problems of MK are still present in 9 for me. This is quite frankly the ugliest martial arts display out of all credible FG if you can say so. The kicks and punches look like complete shit, often they connect even if they are 3-5 inches away from their target and it's obvious that there is a lack of knowledge toward martial art from the creators. A character doing a jumping kick and stopped cold in it's animation no matter if it hit or is blocked is ludicrous looking.

The philosophy in MK 9 where you can connect specials with normals to create long string of combos make for incredibly silly looking fighting imo. It's just lacking a physical credibility that is present in even an over the top game like Marvel vs Capcom 3. It just make sense for a character in MvC3 to make a long string because of the animations, logic behind moves and knocking down + OTG or bouncing against the wall and how you follow up. No such thing in Mortal Kombat, where you can link specials even if it doesn't make much sense based on what's happening on the screen.

I take it for granted when I play or watch japanese FG, but it's obvious to see the bad fighting when I come into contact with Mortal Kombat imo. Forget the specials of MK and just compare how characters perform their various punches and kick with SFIV to see the big gap in martial art knowledge ( moves with no power behind them causing juggle state or keeping a character in it, every character using the same type of uppercut or jumping kick, etc ).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I swear I hate living in this timezone vortex, whenever I'm awake everybody is either sleeping or dead, and when I'm sleeping vice versa.

:(

Imm0rt4l

capcom couldn't even be bothered to put different stages in the different iterations of sf4, I really don't see them overhauling their simplistic arcade mode single player since multiplayer and gameplay mechanics are the meat and potatoes of their games(not that it's a totally valid excuse for being an armchair developer). Namco puts much more effort into tekkens presentation than cap does sf.

Cloudius12 said:
You have a solid Rog, but there were a few times you would have won.
Yeah, I know. Although he had a few situations also where he could have finished the fight. Overall we played over 10 matches and there was even more stuff like that. One thing I've been working on, is baiting and then countering with ultra. Definitely missed a few chances in those matches.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I see you've found another balrog to take my place :(. I know when I'm not wanted. </3

Corky said:
I see you've found another balrog to take my place :(. I know when I'm not wanted. </3
He also plays Blanka. So yeah...

Just kidding. Sell your PC and buy an xbox! :)

AkumaHokoru said:
Reo vs Dark Rob in mk9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Al-fWYolLY&feature=player_embedded They make the game look really good but the amount of people who can play mk at this level is extremely limited.
I'll be surprised if MK will get a lot of support from the fighting game scene. I can see it doing well in the casual gamer market though. Personally I have no interest in the game.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Rocky_Balboa said:
I'll be surprised if MK will get a lot of support from the fighting game scene. I can see it doing well in the casual gamer market though. Personally I have no interest in the game.
That's my guess as well. There are just too many high-quality alternatives. I don't expect many SRK-types to turn their back on MvC3 or AE to play MK competitively.

FWIW, I was interested in MK . . . until I played the demo.

El Sloth

Banned
Corky said:
I swear I hate living in this timezone vortex, whenever I'm awake everybody is either sleeping or dead, and when I'm sleeping vice versa.

When's the next time you're on? I'll see if I can't make time to be a punching bag for a bit.

Kimosabae

Banned
The only "problem" MK9 faces with many SRK community types is their closed-minded notion regarding what a fighting game should possess. If oki doesn't resemble a Capcom fighter - it's not a fighting game. If meaties aren't prevalent - it's not a fighting game. If there's no Reversal system - it's not a fighting game. If the characters don't move/animate/control similar to how a Capcom fighter would - it's just janky or herky jerky. Not simply alien or different. Not fitting Capcom's preestablished molds = Not a Fighting Game (or one that people of competitive merit should take seriously).

Those people all live inside the same tiny box, rubbing shoulders with no wiggle room. They claim to be fighting game fans: but what they really mean is they're fans of Capcom fighting games, or anything that seems to be a close enough derivative of that archetype (SNK games). Like your racist grandpa, irrelevancy is breathing down their neck and they'll be forgotten soon enough.

And really: fuck them. Seriously. MK9, if it turns out as quality as the demo indicates, will germinate new seeds in fresh soil. A competitive scene will flourish without any prior establishment's approval. "The Fighting Game Scene" doesn't need to knight MK9 for it to establish itself as a competitive game.

Kimosabae said:
And really: fuck them. Seriously. MK9, if it turns out as quality as the demo indicates, will germinate new seeds in fresh soil. A competitive scene will flourish without any prior establishment's approval. "The Fighting Game Scene" doesn't need to knight MK9 for it to establish itself as a competitive game.

Yep. You just need interest.

Kimosabae

Banned
Axis said:
pretty obvious i'm not speaking by-proxy for everyone

so yes, shit was ass IMO

When you speak in absolute terms it's not so obvious. You either: A: Feel it's a general enough sentiment to not warrant detail/context, or: B: Want to be provocative, since simplistic statements speak more directly to people's emotions.

In conclusion: your opinion is ass.

Axis

Kimosabae said:
When you speak in absolute terms it's not so obvious. You either: A: Feel it's a general enough sentiment to not warrant detail/context, or: B: Want to be provocative, since simplistic statements speak more directly to people's emotions.

In conclusion: your opinion is ass.

QQ?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Axis said:
too bad the mk9 demo was ass :/

Gotta agree. The only thing MK has going for it is the "WOW GORE"/nostalgia factor, IMO. Never was interested in MK from the first because of that gimmick and the (IMO) bad gameplay, still ain't interested in it now.

But hey, if it becomes popular and stays popular for 10 years good for it. I'll just stick to my SSF4/Marvel 1-3/BB/GG and be happy.

MIMIC said:
You can FADC into his fireball Ultra, right? It takes SOOOO long to become active that it looks pointless otherwise.

You can FADC both Ultras from a SRK. With his SRK Ultra, you need to use EX fireballs before FADC into Ultra just like Ken with his U2. As for it being pointless, well yeah pretty much it's just like Ryu's Metsu Hado. It probably has a long start up, so unless you combo into it, dizzy someone, land a focus crumple, you should never just throw it out.

Rice-Eater said:
You can FADC both Ultras from a SRK. With his SRK Ultra, you need to use EX fireballs before FADC into Ultra just like Ken with his U2. As for it being pointless, well yeah pretty much it's just like Ryu's Metsu Hado. It probably has a long start up, so unless you combo into it, dizzy someone, land a focus crumple, you should never just throw it out.
It's pointless not because of its startup, but because of its low damage as it is. It's only really strong when you charge it up, but you're not likely to get many opportunities to do that.

I think the damage is fine. Fireball Ultras are not meant to do massive damage, so his falls in line with all the others. If it's just like Ryu's, then he can still do SRK, FADC, Ultra for about 395 damage, which is respectable. At least unlike with Ryu, his Metsu Hadoken can punish harder when done at point blank or when charged(or both if you can somehow manage to pull that off). So it's a better overall ultra then Ryu's Ultra 1 which is considered one of the better Ultras in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom