• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexa

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
There is also a big French tournament called Stunfest going on right now, stream is live right now. 3rd Strike in on the stream right now, but it seems like someone is just playing the CPU.

http://www.dailymotion.com/hub/x1qg_Stunfest-2011#videoId=xhwr1z

Japanese players Bas, Mov, Tokido, and RF are in attendance. I believe this is the same tournament that Daigo, Eita, Fuudo, and Desora attended last year and how Eita won his trip to EVO.

lol the commentator is going crazy :eek:

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
That's kinda surprising considering how Justin's been looking in SF4 as of late
yea he hasn't really played well since marvel, his execution was pretty ass after MVC3 dropped. I hear he doesn't even really care much for the game anymore.

Axis

Imm0rt4l said:
yea he hasn't really played well since marvel, his execution was pretty ass after it dropped. I hear he doesn't even really care much for the game anymore.

after playing wong at final round...dude is still fucking good. also i think joe had to play him in pools, too.

Joekage

Yeah, J Wong is still good. I attribute any shortcomings to him just not caring much about Super anymore. Your mindset on the game has alot to do with the consistency and effort you put forth towards it so that being said, his mindset might be affecting his skills when it comes to big tournaments. He's still able to demolish most everyone though so I'm sure he's okay.

Sigh, why can't some people just play the game. I was playing against this Seth player Lordship79 who is pretty good. First I lost about 4 times or so and then won 2. During the last match my phone started ringing so I left the room and answered. Also sent the guy a message "Sorry phone call". Who replies back to me "Run run". Then after the call, I sent him a message that we can play again and if there is space, he can send me an invite. So I go back, but he changed the rounds to 5 instead of 3. Well I'm okay with that as long as it's only 2 players in the lobby. After a few games, which I lost, some other people join in. So I leave and send him a message "GGs, thx. I don't wanna wait, so see u later". And this was his reply:
5 rounds i win 10 - 0 vs u coward

Assholes.

Anyone know if its been confirmed that the pc version of AE will have the same release date as the consoles?

Found out it comes in July

Imm0rt4l

Someone needs to make a guile theme to Obamas speech, or at least to the end of it.

0371_s7wp.gif

Results from Stunfest are

1st: Tokido
2nd: Mov
3rd: Alioune

I'm surprised with Mov finishing 2nd. He must have really stepped up his SF4 game since the last time we saw him play. The only time I did see Mov play Super was when he came over to LA for the big 3rd Strike tourney last year. But congrats to Tokido also for winning another big French tourney. And good shit to Alioune for abandoning Team NAH and competing in tournaments now, and placing high as well.

Hey guys, I'm playing SSFIV on the 3DS and need some tips dealing with projectile spammers - I'm mainly using Fei Long and I usually try and chicken wing over their fireballs, dash forward and block the inevitable shoryuken (or equivalent), but it doesn't always work, especially when someone is using lite controls so they just have to press the touch screen to perform moves (such bullshit). It really annoys me the way people do this - like last night, I was playing a really good Ryu online, he beat me a couple of times but then when it looked like I was going to win the 3rd match he retreated to the corner and hadoken spammed and then rage quit when I beat him anyway.

Also, some players kind of glow blue and can absorb damage for a short while, how are they doing this? Something to do with that focus dash cancel thing?

USD

Tomorrow night will be NSB 24 (AE). Will be starting at 12 AM EDT (technically Wednesday for the US East Coast and most of the world, but whatever), though I'm sure the stream will be up an hour or two before then. Stream will be probably be on the following NSB channels:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb2
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb3

It's the usually 3v3 format you've come to expect. Don't know anything on the early entries. Won't be able to stream monster the event myself, just a heads up.

Tonight is NSB 23 (BBCSII). Same bat time, same bat channel(s).

JJcao

Neo Member
Rice-Eater said:
Results from Stunfest are

1st: Tokido
2nd: Mov
3rd: Alioune

I'm surprised with Mov finishing 2nd. He must have really stepped up his SF4 game since the last time we saw him play. The only time I did see Mov play Super was when he came over to LA for the big 3rd Strike tourney last year. But congrats to Tokido also for winning another big French tourney. And good shit to Alioune for abandoning Team NAH and competing in tournaments now, and placing high as well.

Are there any saved replay video available?

Satyamdas

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Hey guys, I'm playing SSFIV on the 3DS and need some tips dealing with projectile spammers - I'm mainly using Fei Long and I usually try and chicken wing over their fireballs, dash forward and block the inevitable shoryuken (or equivalent), but it doesn't always work, especially when someone is using lite controls so they just have to press the touch screen to perform moves (such bullshit). It really annoys me the way people do this - like last night, I was playing a really good Ryu online, he beat me a couple of times but then when it looked like I was going to win the 3rd match he retreated to the corner and hadoken spammed and then rage quit when I beat him anyway.

Also, some players kind of glow blue and can absorb damage for a short while, how are they doing this? Something to do with that focus dash cancel thing?
What they are doing is focus attacking (press Medium Punch + Medium Kick simultaneously). This allows you to absorb 1 attack at the cost of grey damage, which replenishes if you avoid being hit as it refills, or disappears if you are hit before it does so. Focus attacks can be used as an attack by releasing the buttons, or dash canceled by inputting the dash command while the buttons are still held down.

You can focus an attack again after dash cancelling even if you already have grey health. A focus attack can be dash canceled at any time up until level 3, and there are 3 levels of strength if you use it as an attack instead of dash out of it. Each level does more damage.

Level 1 focus will crumple (momentarily stun) a character if your attack lands as a counterhit.
Level 2 focus will crumple if it lands at all, no counterhit needed.
Level 3 focus will crumple if it lands, and is unblockable.

Each character has special attacks that are "armor breakers" which cannot be absorbed by a focus attack, such as Honda's Headbutt or Ryu's Hurricane Kick, so these attacks need to be kept in mind as you use your focus. Also, special moves done as a reversal (meaning done the instant a character stands after being knocked down) also break armor. So for example, Ryu's Shoryuken doesn't normally break focus armor, but if you are focusing next to him as he rises and he does a reversal Shoryuken, it will break armor.

Focus Attack Dash Cancelling can also be used to cancel the recovery of most moves in the game at the cost of 2 bars of super meter. So take Ryu's Shoryuken. If you have ultra meter and 2 bars of super meter, you can do a Shoryuken, immediately press the focus attack buttons, dash forward, and do his ultra which will hit the falling opponent. Without using FADC, Ryu will not be able to land the ultra because the opponent will hit the ground before Ryu has recovered from his Shoryuken and is able to do another move.

And ironically, if you are having trouble getting around projectiles, focus attack dash cancelling is one of the best ways to deal with them. If you are Fei Long and your chicken wings or jumps are being punished as you try to avoid projectiles, then by focusing the projectile and dashing forward you can close distance with much less risk. Keep in mind that focus attacks can only absorb 1 hit while you have the buttons held down, so if someone throws an EX Hadouken which is 2 fireballs, your focus will be beaten and you will take the damage. When it comes to dealing with projectiles you can focus dash, jump over them, neutral jump, or do special moves which go through them. Ultimately you will have to use all of these methods to get in on your opponent, and sometimes you will just have to guess or anticipate their next move in order to get in on them. While guessing can get you hurt, if you guess right and get a free jump in attack it can lead to a lot of damage for you and leave you in an good position as they get up after being knocked down.

USD said:
Tomorrow night will be NSB 24 (AE). Will be starting at 12 AM EDT (technically Wednesday for the US East Coast and most of the world, but whatever), though I'm sure the stream will be up an hour or two before then. Stream will be on the usual NSB channels:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nsb2

It's the usually 3v3 format you've come to expect. Don't know anything on the early entries. Won't be able to stream monster the event myself, just a heads up.

Tonight is NSB 23 (BBCSII). Same bat time, same bat channel(s).

Will stream monster until I pass out. Then watch the archives at work the following day.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bootaaay said:

There should be an option to exclude Lite users from your online searches. I would recommend doing that.
To absorb a hit, hold down the medium kick and medium punch buttons at the same time. When you release the buttons, the character will perform a slow attack that may crumple the opponent and let you perform follow up hits for additional damage. You may also double tap forward or backward to cancel the counterattack animation with a dash.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
_dementia said:
There should be an option to exclude Lite users from your online searches. I would recommend doing that.
To absorb a hit, hold down the medium kick and medium punch buttons at the same time. When you release the buttons, the character will perform a slow attack that may crumple the opponent and let you perform follow up hits for additional damage. You may also double tap forward or backward to cancel the counterattack animation with a dash.

That "blue glow" is likely not focus attacks, but rather lite mode users using the stupid autoblock option.

Pro mode's controls also have a touch screen button for focus attacks. I have the mediums on the triggers so it can be difficult hitting them both together in online matches.

Yes, I would recommend filtering out lite users and going with pro control-only searches, at least until you're comfortable with the 3DS control scheme. I recently started dropping the filtering, and lite users can be a handful, but most generally don't know what they're doing and aren't too hard to take down. I've been noticing a number of people like to use T. Hawk with auto-blocking and just spam dive attacks and 360s.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Xbox Live streaming. Tomorrow. I'll probably test out the stream tonight on PSN. Not like I can sign onto it anyway.

Corky said:
anybody tried out vanilla pc sf4 on a laptop with a 5650 mobility GPU?

I have a Lenovo Y460 w a 5650 and it runs it pretty high @ 60 fps. I don't think you can put on the enhanced shadow effects and might be a little limited with the AA, but it runs really well.

I can't wait for Super AE

Calcaneus

Recently I was going through some random games and put regular SFIV in. Its kinda useless for me now since I have super, I forgot how awesome the Indestructable intro was. Oh, and at least its main menu doesn't have those godawful sound effects.

I would sell it if I thought I could get more than a dollar for it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Cloudius12 said:
Im sure you be just fine. I'm running it on a 4-year old laptop and it lower setting which I dont mind at all.

I got a desktop pc but I thought it would be rather fun if even my laptop could run it :)

Spiderjericho said:
I have a Lenovo Y460 w a 5650 and it runs it pretty high @ 60 fps. I don't think you can put on the enhanced shadow effects and might be a little limited with the AA, but it runs really well.

I can't wait for Super AE

Oh cool, which res do you play at?

JJcao said:
Are there any saved replay video available?

All the final matches are up now

http://www.youtube.com/user/hitcombodotcom#p/u/1/fAnA90TyWE8

I must say I love the fact that the European audience is still hyped for Grand Finals despite the fact that it's a all Japanese affair. Very unlike what happened at Season's Beatings last year when it was Gamerbee vs Momochi in SSF4 GF. After Justin was knocked it, it's like nobody gave a shit and there was hardly any hype because one of our own wasn't out there battling the foreigner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom