• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrogue

black_vegeta said:
Sorry RB, dat lag was something serious. Looking forward to playing against your top tier loving self.

nah my net is ass tier tonight. I don't love top tier either, but you either live with it or die from it :/

Mœbius

I now hate this thread and my miserable life - PS3 died, no 360, no AE, no PC AE for another month, my internet at home has been down for over a week... Humbug!

Anyone want to donate me a 360 or PS3?

cackhyena

Yeah, already hate the Yun. It feels weird now. Trying out regular Ryu, I just feel like moves I've done for years now feel so foreign in their execution. I can't explain it. Must be in my head.

zlatko

Banned
So after playing around all day, I have some thoughts:

Sagat is back to fucking shit up. I felt powerless as Yun against him.

Yun is definitely a great character, but people do not respect him online. The standard Xbox Live tactics of mash until it works, and random shit all day will blow up Yun players. I feel I have to play 4x harder than normal to eek out wins against people who mash since Yun has lower than average health and is stunned pretty easy. Luckily, he is mad safe, has good mix ups, and can do some super easy combos, plus dive kick is the bomb. Still online play with him against randoms on ranked isn't easy mode for me.

Yang. Messed around with him a little. Not for me. More work than Yun for less results. Solid character, but Yun and fei long probably out class him for what he can do.

Oni is solid. That quick mix up move works well online if timed right... hell even not, because trying to punish it on reaction won't work often.

Evil Ryu is pretty ass. Waste of a slot.

Makoto definitely feels right, but she still has to work just as hard to beat people online.

DEE JAY! Yo! Super good improvements. Is his slide 100% safe now? It's nuts.

Last character I'll touch on is Abel who was my main. He's still great, but the one match up where I felt the nerfs was against Sagat. I felt rolling towards Sagat from most spots on the screen just resulted in me getting blown up. You have to be very mindful on when to roll. Rest of his game is intact, and you just need 1 more extra mix up to get a win.

Oh and while I'm at it... fuck Yun mirrors. It's like watching two retards dry hump in the back of a dumpster. :/

I played all day and I think my win rate was around 80%, but I only have around 800 PP... wtf is up with that? Did they change PP accumulation? Seems like it gains super slow, but you still lose a ton. BP doesn't feel changed which is fine I guess.

Imm0rt4l

My internet magically started working earlier so I started downloading AE. But it crapped out on me again at 89%. Fffffffffuuuuuu

cackhyena

I believe you. I really hope Ono decides to release that reported patch in the future. A little tweaking of this nonsense couldn't hurt.

XenoRaven

Remus said:
Good games earlier... I was the lame T. Hawk (gt: Expired Sun).

I never liked using Akuma but I find Oni is really fun to use, quite different.
I don't know how to fight T. Hawk!

Could you tell!?

LakeEarth

I've come to the conclusion that Oni sucks. The only GOOD thing that differentiates himself from other shotos are his slice moves, which are beaten by jab spam and throw spam. So what does he have that makes you pick him instead of Ryu?

vg260

the_log_ride said:
Meter build on whiffed palms is dumb.

They take away Cammy's TKCS, make so many other nerfs that weren't really as egregious as this, but allowed this in along w/ all the other Yun advantages? So you manage to get Yun off you and he can just run in the corner and build meter? I hate what Capcom did with his update.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
2&2 said:
They take away Cammy's TKCS, make so many other nerfs that weren't really as egregious as this, but allowed this in along w/ all the other Yun advantages? I hate what Capcom did with his update.

Yeah a lot of dumb shit if you ask me... also wtf at the dlc... they didn t even bother changing the intro or the background... guess that will just be for the disc release?. Thank god I'm getting this for the pc...

hitsugi

Geneijin near corner - Close MK, HK upkicks, repeat is so nice with Yun. Only got to do that a few times in the arcade

Mœbius

The Int3rsect said:
Anyone have any tips for a newbie Akuma player? :p
Be patient and always take your openings.

Why did you pick Akuma? What kind of style do you think / feel you like to play with?

I should probably start by highlighting that I'm an average Akuma at best, this is all going by my experience and how I would have trained from the beginning given hindsight. There are way better Akumas (and players in general) here on GAF who'll no doubt offer better advice. With that said...

The mistake people serious about maining him (as opposed to random online warriors who just want to jump back air fireball) make when they see and pick Akuma and know his basic attributes (i.e. he has low life and high damage output and mix-ups) is to play really aggressive and assume this is how you should play. This will get you dead.

You need to actually tighten up your defensive play massively, and by defense I don't mean turtling, but solid footsies and spacing. If you watch other top level Akuma's playing look at what they are doing most of the time, and don't just focus on the cool bnb combos (that stuff is just autopilot and a matter of execution, which you'll eventually get). Look at how things like standing roundhouse, roundhouse sweep, cr.mk, cr.mp as well as basic movement and spacing are being applied. Also look at how the demon flip palms and kicks are used at long to medium range as part of your spacing game, and of course how air fireballs can be used (sparingly). With all these latter things the thing to remember is not to overuse them or become too predictable. In summary to be a good Akuma you need to have a solid defense, explosive and unpredictable attacks, and once knocked-down, smart mix-up pressure.

So again, step one is improving your defense and picking when to pressure/attack, either baiting or reading potential opportunities. Accept your losses at first (there will be many) as you focus on these things when you're playing against live opponents.

pirateben said:
Be patient and always take your openings.

Why did you pick Akuma? What kind of style do you think / feel you like to play with?

I should probably start by highlighting that I'm an average Akuma at best, this........
Thanks for that. And thanks El Sloth for those links.

I'm coming from a casual vanilla background and decided to come back for AE. So I'm guessing Akuma isn't such a safe pick for someone who's getting back into it? I mained Sagat and Ryu during vanilla but was nothing serious. It was a tossup between Akuma and Fei but decided to go with Akuma because he seemed so versatile. He sounds like a very fun character to use though. And pretty badass. :p

Mœbius

The Int3rsect said:
Thanks for that.

I'm coming from a casual vanilla background and decided to come back for AE. So I'm guessing Akuma isn't such a safe pick for someone who's getting back into it? Haha he sounds like a very fun character to use though. And pretty badass. :p
No problem. He is really fun and offers so many opportunities once you're on the attack. Considering your background would I suggest you pick someone else - not necessarily. I mean sure there are characters who you'll be able to win with a bit easier at first, but the main thing is to just pick the character you find most appealing and get a feel for him, if you're not feeling it after a few weeks move on to your next favourite character and so on. Just play with whoever you have most fun with and hopefully that'll bring the wins too, hehe.

What other characters are you interested in?

My Cammy will be back despite this being my side game now, she's close enough that I can still see glimpses of the old stuff. Need to work on incorporating the new into my game too.

I also think she still beats Sim (you can't escape this nightmare Saty D:).

Getting used to these combos will be a pain, 2 years of muscle memory has gotta go.

pirateben said:
No problem. He is really fun and offers so many opportunities once you're on the attack. Considering your background would I suggest you pick someone else - not necessarily. I mean sure there are characters who you'll be able to win with a bit easier at first, but the main thing is to just pick the character you find most appealing and get a feel for him, if you're not feeling it after a few weeks move on to your next favourite character and so on. Just play with whoever you have most fun with and hopefully that'll bring the wins too, hehe.

What other characters are you interested in?
Haha I was editing my previous post with more info but looks like you replied to it already.

I thought about playing Fei Long but thought Akuma was much more versatile. And he somewhat fits to my playing style. But I'm probably going to play Akuma out and see how it goes. I will be going to a local tourney this weekend to get some help lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom