• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nose Master

Corky said:
Who do you play? Keep in mind his backward hop is now more punishable/throwable(?) in ae.

edit : people who don't like blankas, how do you not knifemurder your neighbour when playing annoying deejays? That's what I feel like anyways...

Cody, little bit of Dan. I could Jaw Breaker the rainbow's before, but since he has such control over it now, he can wiggle between sides over and over, so a jawbreaker input might come out as his forward strong. Standing RH might work, I haven't tried that yet.

The hops are just annoying, throwing seems to be the only option. If you stick out a normal, half the time he'll jump through and you'll be punching the air on the opposite side of him.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
rance said:
People said CEO for Marvel and Revelations for AE.

No.

It was CEO for everything.

Real talk right here.

Revelations will be cool to look back on if you want to do some in depth match analysis and learn some things, but CEO was definitely better for the entertainment.

Imm0rt4l

Conceited said:
Real talk right here.

Revelations will be cool to look back on if you want to do some in depth match analysis and learn some things, but CEO was definitely better for the entertainment.
My sentiments exactly.

DRE Fei

Revelations and CEO were both good in their own ways. CEO for the hype, and Revelations for the archived footage of Daigo and Mago technology with Yun/Yang/Fei Long. Also, I can't believe someone actually used Oni in one of these tournaments.

balancedroster.jpg

Arozay

The Int3rsect said:
After watching CEO/Revelations, it's gotten me more hyped to get better at AE and Marvel :\
Yeah, never actually took SFIV serious before so I gotta decide on a main and stop getting bodied.

Axis

both tournies were gdlk...i just preferred the lineup of players at revelations as opposed to CEO for AE

yes, sako fanboy #1 here

zlatko

Banned
Axis said:
both tournies were gdlk...i just preferred the lineup of players at revelations as opposed to CEO for AE

yes, sako fanboy #1 here

Revelations finals were a snooze fest compared to CEO though. The hype was through the roof for MvC3 and SSF4AE.

Imm0rt4l

Axis said:

yes, sako fanboy #1 here
Agreed on both accounts

I wish sako didn't have to play that mirror match.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Satyamdas said:
In an ideal world, there would be multiple streams ran by Level-Up X TS X IPW. Best of all worlds and shit. Lord knows there are enough matches and games to warrant multiple streams.
Not really ... That's like all the work for half the rewards. There's good people on both sides obviously. It's just a weird situation for everyone involved, especially since they're going all out fighting for scraps. But i guess all we can do is wait and see, and hope they succeed in turning SF into the next Starcraft - because otherwise it might turn ugly.

Personally though, i'd feel way more comfortable with $1000 prizes (which might be sustainable) rather than $30,000 prizes which can't possibly be realistic long-term.

Axis

zlatko said:
Revelations finals were a snooze fest compared to CEO though. The hype was through the roof for MvC3 and SSF4AE.

lol CEO finals were hype? tokido wasn't losing and i'd much rather see mago/daigo play from a pure gameplay standpoint; disregard the hype, which one had the most high quality matches?. as for mvc3...didn't watch it on either stream so no idea.

Axis said:
lol CEO finals were hype? tokido wasn't losing and i'd much rather see mago/daigo play from a pure gameplay standpoint; disregard the hype, which one had the most high quality matches?. as for mvc3...didn't watch it on either stream so no idea.
Revelations had the better AE quality matches in my opinion, but I couldnt get into them because bringing Daigo, Mago, Sako to the US to play AE was like free money for them, highly skilled players who had a game way longer than us, we knew what the outcome would be. Way more hype to see nsb streams when everyone is on a equal playing field.

Axis

GhostRidah said:
Revelations had the better AE quality matches in my opinion, but I couldnt get into them because bringing Daigo, Mago, Sako to the US to play AE was like free money for them, highly skilled players who had a game way longer than us, we knew what the outcome would be. Way more hype to see nsb streams when everyone is on a equal playing field.

why? it does nothing but force people to step their game up to actually beat them...since sako and mago both lost to non-japanese players. i prefer quality matches to hype matches of less quality...but i could be in the minority here. will evo not be hype because sako/mago/daigo/poongko/laugh/infiltration/tokido/etc will be there?

i enjoyed all the high-level matches but from what i watched of CEO(a good bit) it just seemed that some players weren't taking it serious...like pr rog switching to yang when he lost on more than one occasion.

XenoRaven

Axis said:
why? it does nothing but force people to step their game up to actually beat them...since sako and mago both lost to non-japanese players. i prefer quality matches to hype matches of less quality...but i could be in the minority here. will evo not be hype because sako/mago/daigo/poongko/laugh/infiltration/tokido/etc will be there?

i enjoyed all the high-level matches but from what i watched of CEO(a good bit) it just seemed that some players weren't taking it serious...like pr rog switching to yang when he lost on more than one occasion.
Sign me up for this club.

zlatko

Banned
haunts said:
journey not the destination

both were dope.

The journey for most of top 16 on CEO once again had some really nail biting close matches. The crowd was going bananas for Mike Ross in his run through losers for AE. MvC3 was getting crazy in losers too.

Both had great games I agree, but a lot of the weekend I had Revelations muted, but had both open while I watched. It just comes down to personal preference for commentators too and what games were playing when. This weekend I wanted to focus on AE the most, and so when AE was on one I'd mute the other.

Sako's Ibuki was the highlight of Revelations for me. Super clean execution.

You playing Sagat again now that he's rebuffed?

V_Arnold

Rocky_Balboa said:
Yeah.
Command throw
Teleport
divekicks
Crazy normals
easy BnB combos with good damage
non-charge specials
good ultras
good specials

I hate that compared to eg. Rog, they can do so much damage so easily. Basic slash combo with Yang does a lot more than Rog's c.lp ~ c.MP xx special and that is a 1 frame link. Doesn't make any sense in a character design perspective either. Rog is a hard hitting beast and they are just fucking teenage skaters.

About my connection. It used to be an ADSL connection, but now it is a faster cable connection. Tech is different, but so is speed. Against some people it is better, but against some other people it is not.

Against me, it was near-perfect, as I recall. And lol, I was even forced to use wireless (the good router is exactly 10cm apart from the 360 :p - so it should not matter).

And I dunno, man. Balrog does INSANE damage, maybe once I get the proper BNB's with Yang, I will match it, but it is still destroying my Viper/Ibuki. Granted, I am more than rusty.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
V_Arnold said:
Against me, it was near-perfect, as I recall. And lol, I was even forced to use wireless (the good router is exactly 10cm apart from the 360 :p - so it should not matter).

And I dunno, man. Balrog does INSANE damage, maybe once I get the proper BNB's with Yang, I will match it, but it is still destroying my Viper/Ibuki. Granted, I am more than rusty.

Hey man you got yourself a new account? Hit me up will ya :) we all should play together more often.

edit : fuu, seeing PR Rog jump to yang breaks my spirit

Satyamdas

Banned
Majestros said:
Not really ... That's like all the work for half the rewards. There's good people on both sides obviously. It's just a weird situation for everyone involved, especially since they're going all out fighting for scraps. But i guess all we can do is wait and see, and hope they succeed in turning SF into the next Starcraft - because otherwise it might turn ugly.
I was just saying that as a fan of all 3 streaming operations, I'd selfishly want to see everyone contribute at EVO and have no one left out. Kind of like if you have two players or teams you really like going head up in a match, you wish they could both win somehow. Obviously it doesn't work like that, someone will always have to "lose". I was just talking about a pie in the sky, probably-not-gonna-happen-but-would-be-cool-if-it-did scenario. We could have like a PG Level|Up stream with S-Kill, Chen and Ultradavid, an R rated Team Spooky stream with Art & whoever, and an Unrated iPlayWinner stream with Magus and drunk haunts holding it down. Shit would be fucking bananas.

As for things getting ugly, I don't know. I mean back when sp00ky made his famous "My streams don't go down in grand finals" quote and Valle was getting at him on twitter I thought yeah, this shit might get nasty. But sp00ky went on stream quickly afterwards and apologized for his comments like a man, and the Level|Up guys handled it like classy gentlemen. Then this weekend both guys were promoting each others' streams and showing mutual respect, which was nice to see. But yeah, I have no idea about the behind the scenes stuff. It might be cutthroat business for all I know.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Rocky_Balboa said:
I hate that compared to eg. Rog, they can do so much damage so easily. Basic slash combo with Yang does a lot more than Rog's c.lp ~ c.MP xx special and that is a 1 frame link. Doesn't make any sense in a character design perspective either. Rog is a hard hitting beast and they are just fucking teenage skaters.
I think this is the thing that bothers me the most. Maybe if they didn't do as much overall damage, and they really had to whittle opponents down, I would respect them more - players who had to endure and really keep up a good performance in order to utilise their tools effectively.

But instead they are just spoiled with good damage output as well. You're right, it just doesn't make any sense from a design perspective =/

ShaneB

I think AE put a big damper on my interest in SSF4, not to mention 3SOE right around the corner.

I immediately checked out GGPO and now all I want to play is ST and 3S...

Morris

Disco Devil
GGs God's Beard. Oni got mad good normals. You need to apply more pressure altough i'm not sure how would that be.

Execution was iffy on my end, dropped so many shit :(

Shoutouts to akuma's ultra demon beating oni's super demon.

GGs floyd, thanks for playing me. I haven't used anyone but Oni in the past 7 months, so forgive me for being bad. And we just about doubled my total matches played with Oni ^_^

Learned a lot about Oni, the Dudley and Akuma matchups are pretty interesting. The Yun matchup however, is not lol. Once I stop messing up inputs for airdash tatsus and other moves, I'll start going for my combos. I don't know why I kept going straight into U2 after the EX slash, it's a bad combo and not the one I practiced -_-

Also, HK stomp does not have the invincibility I was led to believe, which is why I got hit so much on wakeup -_-

Morro! said:
You need to apply more pressure altough i'm not sure how would that be.

Well I think of Oni as a second Dhalsim, so I was worried about creating space. I messed up a lot of inputs so... But mostly I wanted to focus on that, if I started doing blockstrings and frame traps and combos I'd have too much to think about with my level of Oni experience. I did try to do my secret LK Tatsu trick, but I messed it up :-(

Plus, I don't think Oni has a good answer for quick moves like Akuma's sweep or Dudley's anything up close. Anyway, I'm gonna focus on increasing my knowledge and defense so that I can start working on how best to set up combos and such :)

Hopefully next time we fight I'll land that triple back MP on Dudley :-D

V_Arnold said:

Here are some Rog basic combos:
c.MP xx HP.Headbutt - 170 dmg
c.LP ~ c.LP ~ c.MP xx HP.Dashpunch - 180 dmg (1 frame link)
c.LP ~ c.LP ~ c.LK xx HP.Dashpunch - 148 dmg
c.LP ~ s.LP ~ s.LP ~ c.HK - 119 dmg (1 frame link)
c.LP ~ c.MP xx EX-Rush ~ c.LP ~ c.HP - 254 dmg (two 1 frame links)

Here are some very Yun combos I tried out:
EX-Zesshou ~ LP.Zesshou (Lunge punches) - 230 dmg
c.MP xx DP kicks - 200 dmg
s.LP ~ s.LP ~ c.MK xx Lunge Punch - 165 dmg
c.MP ~ c.MP xx EX-Shoulder - 240 dmg

The Yun combos had 2 frame links at worst and they did generally a lot more damage. I am sure there are so much more damaging combos, but those are just some basic stuff I played with in the training mode.

Axis

Rocky_Balboa said:
Here are some Rog basic combos:
c.MP xx HP.Headbutt - 170 dmg
c.LP ~ c.LP ~ c.MP xx HP.Dashpunch - 180 dmg (1 frame link)
c.LP ~ c.LP ~ c.LK xx HP.Dashpunch - 148 dmg
c.LP ~ s.LP ~ s.LP ~ c.HK - 119 dmg (1 frame link)
c.LP ~ c.MP xx EX-Rush ~ c.LP ~ c.HP - 254 dmg (two 1 frame links)

Here are some very Yun combos I tried out:
EX-Zesshou ~ LP.Zesshou (Lunge punches) - 230 dmg
c.MP xx DP kicks - 200 dmg
s.LP ~ s.LP ~ c.MK xx Lunge Punch - 165 dmg
c.MP ~ c.MP xx EX-Shoulder - 240 dmg

The Yun combos had 2 frame links at worst and they did generally a lot more damage. I am sure there are so much more damaging combos, but those are just some basic stuff I played with in the training mode.

since when has rog been about damage and combos tho? far superior normals

Axis said:
since when has rog been about damage and combos tho? far superior normals
Maybe not about combos that much, but the damage has been there. It is not anymore since he is getting damage nerfs in every patch. I guess now he is more about downback and laming it out. The risk to go on offense is not worth it anymore.

Axis

Rocky_Balboa said:
Maybe not about combos that much, but the damage has been there. It is not anymore since he is getting damage nerfs in every patch. I guess now he is more about downback and laming it out. The risk to go on offense is not worth it anymore.

i haven't played any rog who wasn't a downback/lame it out type lol. ice0age r makes offense look worth it tho :3

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just spent all morning watching Revelations and CEO replays from Top 8. Wow those were awesome.

Mike Ross... man how can you NOT be a fan of this guy? I didn't believe when he was down 0-2 to Art, but damn he makes everyone a believer in how hard he plays.

Axis said:
i haven't played any rog who wasn't a downback/lame it out type lol. ice0age r makes offense look worth it tho :3

I used to play with a more aggressive style, but now if I really want to win, I have to lame it out. Especially if my opponent knows anything about the game.

As much I like watching ice0age play, he won't be able to play like that against the top players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom