• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axis

Corky said:
haha naw man I'm done, today was the final nail in the coffin I played against some random dude who beat me in the most re*arded ways possible I had enough. I'm not having fun anymore. Balrog ain't fun to play with the introductions of the twins and his apparently much needed "balancing", blanka is well blanka, he is nothing more than a novelty character for 99.99% of those who play him and we all suck. If you play the game for fun then by all means go for it but when you kinda want to get good/become better at the game then you're out of luck start playing one of 2 characters or be a god with one of the rest of the cast. And as I said before, I'm not saying I'm even half decent at times but when it only took me like 20 matches to have better chance of winning with yang compared to the thousands of games I've played with rog/blanka then it's just a fucking uphill battle from there.

Gamemechanics that are driving me mad, onlinemode where I can play against people 20 miles away from me at tops or else we're fighting in yoghurt. Everything is just piling up and I feel like moving on. Blergh, right now I'd rather play Rise of the Robots.

rog kinda breaks even with the twins IMO...just don't be scared to lame them the fuck out; same way it works fighting them with chun

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Axis said:
rog kinda breaks even with the twins IMO...just don't be scared to lame them the fuck out; same way it works fighting them with chun

That's probably a good rog, luckily I'm terrible so I'm losing to day 1 yuns who do nothing but divekick and somehow I'm soo terrible that I can't even retaliate ( again I don't even really play rog anymore I switched to yang after 1 day of AE being out ).

Satyamdas said:
I dunno Corky. Lately I've had that Iyo feeling a lot. And I'm starting to already upgrade to that AE Arturo feeling, too. :*(

I was already pretty weak with a mid tier Sim in Super, but they have completely fucked him over with damage nerfs in AE. I didn't think it would matter much, but the amount of work it takes to win rounds now, plus the 9-1 match ups with the twins, plus the shitty match ups he already had, plus my inability to break bad habits and play smarter, all combine to make me less enthusiastic about playing, unfortunately. :*(

I'm hearing Sim is gonna be gdlk in SFxT, and the more I see of that game the more I like it. Hopefully some day I'll make it over there, I'd love to visit Europe anyway. You think you'll ever make it to our side of the pond?

After seeing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vx48kvPssE#t=21m30s
I totally understand.

Axis

Corky said:
That's probably a good rog, luckily I'm terrible so I'm losing to day 1 yuns who do nothing but divekick and somehow I'm soo terrible that I can't even retaliate ( again I don't even really play rog anymore I switched to yang after 1 day of AE being out ).

the range and active frames on rogs c.fp can keep them out of the air if they try to dive from too far away(sans delayed divekick but it'd have to be ridiculously delayed)...if they're closer you can stand jab or c.mp that shit for fray...even if it trades you're not left in a bad position cuz rog has more total health. i'm not a rog main just random stuff that i've seen work against the twins since they're assholes...but fair enough that you don't play rog anymore cuz fuck rog :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Axis said:
the range and active frames on rogs c.fp can keep them out of the air if they try to dive from too far away(sans delayed divekick but it'd have to be ridiculously delayed)...if they're closer you can stand jab or c.mp that shit for fray...even if it trades you're not left in a bad position cuz rog has more total health. i'm not a rog main just random stuff that i've seen work against the twins since they're assholes...but fair enough that you don't play rog anymore cuz fuck rog :p

Maybe the theory behind it doesn't really match my reality when playing. What has happened for me the few times I've played rog in AE against yun :

- start slow and patiently'
- they go balls to the walls and play aggressively
- I try to c.fp the first divekick -> they counter hit me - > it's over ( if they're good otherwise just repeat from start and win with divekick damage )

Which is odd since I don't have any problems with rufus for example or the mix-ups from a good ibuki. Nonetheless I'm bordering on whining here so here's hoping SF5 comes out sooner than later. SFxT looks interesting but has the SF4 alpha stiff animations ( which I somehow fear will be in the finished products ) before they overhauled it.

Axis

Corky said:
Maybe the theory behind it doesn't really match my reality when playing. What has happened for me the few times I've played rog in AE against yun :

- start slow and patiently'
- they go balls to the walls and play aggressively
- I try to c.fp the first divekick -> they counter hit me - > it's over ( if they're good otherwise just repeat from start and win with divekick damage )

Which is odd since I don't have any problems with rufus for example or the mix-ups from a good ibuki. Nonetheless I'm bordering on whining here so here's hoping SF5 comes out sooner than later. SFxT looks interesting but has the SF4 alpha stiff animations ( which I somehow fear will be in the finished products ) before they overhauled it.

discussion is good...if they're playing aggressively then use it against them; the theory behind it is fine and it works in execution...just takes some time, i guess. i was lucky to play a good yun the first day explicitly for the purpose of figuring this shit out lol

Mœbius

Axis said:
discussion is good...if they're playing aggressively then use it against them; the theory behind it is fine and it works in execution...just takes some time, i guess. i was lucky to play a good yun the first day explicitly for the purpose of figuring this shit out lol
Yeah same here, I had a solid Yun and Yang player here in the TWFighter community to practice with last weekend - spent some hours basically learning the match-up with my mains (getting beasted on :p) and learning what moves can cancel out the dive kick pressure, learning the spacing and so on.

The match-up will always be in their favour of course, and some of the advantages they have are ridiculous, but it by no means felt impossible... It's just an uphill struggle (assuming the opponent is at your level, and it gets progressively harder the better they are compared to you depending on the match-up); but i'm pretty confident that it's not a case of someone not that good (or as good as you) simply being able to pick Yun/Yang and beat up on you (at least not offline) - people doing that will get exposed.

Satyamdas said:
I dunno Corky. Lately I've had that Iyo feeling a lot. And I'm starting to already upgrade to that AE Arturo feeling, too. :*(

I was already pretty weak with a mid tier Sim in Super, but they have completely fucked him over with damage nerfs in AE. I didn't think it would matter much, but the amount of work it takes to win rounds now, plus the 9-1 match ups with the twins, plus the shitty match ups he already had, plus my inability to break bad habits and play smarter, all combine to make me less enthusiastic about playing, unfortunately. :*(

DrmFS.png

After GAF Ranbats 2, I'm gonna take a long break. I just can't find a rhythm or flow ever since AE dropped. 'Not having much luck finding a 2ndary or a new main, either.

Satyamdas said:
I'm hearing Sim is gonna be gdlk in SFxT, and the more I see of that game the more I like it. Hopefully some day I'll make it over there, I'd love to visit Europe anyway. You think you'll ever make it to our side of the pond?

Looking forward to SFxT as well. 'Hope that Sim gets a spot on the roster.

I don't think Sim will make it int to SFxTK. Not the first release of that game anyway. Sim seemingly only works well in a game with SF pacing.

Solune

_dementia said:
I don't think Sim will make it int to SFxTK. Not the first release of that game anyway. Sim seemingly only works well in a game with SF pacing.
Sim can be a monster in MvC2! But I imagine he won't make it into SFxTekken, they'd have to speed up his normals or something, given movement is similar to SF4.

Solune said:
Sim can be a monster in MvC2! But I imagine he won't make it into SFxTekken, they'd have to speed up his normals or something, given movement is similar to SF4.
Hahaha, I suppose that's true. I once saw some Japanese footage of a Sim player running trains on fools. I don't think he'd be viable in high level play though.

Imm0rt4l

_dementia said:
Is there any reason why the AE DLC is 2.5 times bigger on PS3 than on 360?

a patch so you can see the alternate costumes that you didn't pay for before.....oh wait, you still can't do that....

CriterionDog said:
Hey GAF, I keep on hearing that AE is unbalanced (at least Yun and Yang are, I hear). Is it really? I'm thinking about picking it up.
It's less balanced than SSFIV, but yeah buy it. Also, pick Yun.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Played nearly 4 hours of AE last night, after hardly putting any time into SSF4 at all.

Took some adjustment time, but ended up having a lot of fun...and doing quite well. Played Ken exclusively and got nearly 1700PP/1700BP from one evening. I don't know if that's good or not, lol

But more importantly was the match quality. I'm thinking SSF4: Arcade Edition - The Online Warrior could definitely be on the horizon. Working out the concept if it's at all possible with the current schedule tho...

cackhyena

LeMaximilian said:
Played Ken exclusively and got nearly 1700PP/1700BP from one evening. I don't know if that's good or not, lol
Oh yes you do. I've missed your Ken vids, Max. Such good stuff back in the day.

Xtyle

Satyamdas said:

I always play characters I like playing. I never go for tiers when I play a fighting game (well, maybe I should?). Ryu's never a high tier in ssf4 games but I enjoy playing him and even now in AE, I have fun playing him. Guile in most games isn't considered that high tier also but I enjoy playing him. And it's not like they just nerf 1 specific characters either. It's kinda across the board so chances are your opponent is just as nerfed. But what do I know. I am not a fighting game god:)

edit: I know you are not a tier whore (Sim isn't top, right?), play it for the fun I guess...but yea if you get beat due to bad game mechanics, understandable

eva01

LeMaximilian said:
Played nearly 4 hours of AE last night, after hardly putting any time into SSF4 at all.

Took some adjustment time, but ended up having a lot of fun...and doing quite well. Played Ken exclusively and got nearly 1700PP/1700BP from one evening. I don't know if that's good or not, lol

Thats really good Max. Have you been noticing dropped inputs? Supposedly ken's crouch medium kick got nerfed in AE.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Has anyone seen any good Oni gameplay footage out there? I saw one good japanese oni from an arcade linked here a day or two before US release and I've seen some combo videos, including desk's, but I've had trouble finding solid Oni in matches.

Aside from Mike Ross, of course

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Just had a first to 10 with Rocky Balboa.

He sent me a message before hand saying he was having a bad day so I let him beat me 10-1.

God that was free.
GGs.
I know Rog vs Rog match up pretty well, so I think you could have done better with some other characters. Especially character with a good focus attack. Let's do it again some day.

Also I played against a 3000PP Yun today in Endless and I think I have the match up down. It is about zoning correctly and keeping him the fuck out so he can't start those infinite block strings. Although at some point I got good results by being pretty aggressive. So I guess it has to be a mixture of things sometimes.

I feel fucking PUMPED right now. I got hate mail earlier against some Ken player on PSN (bestnrenonv), calling me a "turtle fa****." So I call him free, and challenge him to a FT5 to shut him up.

He accepts, and beats me with his Ken game 1. I then run it back and beat him 5 games in a row, including his Akuma that he switched to after losing with Ken twice.

I sent him a GG message afterwards, including telling him to stop jumping in on Hawk that has U2 stocked, and I haven't heard a reply since.

EDIT: Just got his reply: "you should stop turtle all together, again that all u have beside you jab combo"

Imm0rt4l

I don't know when the last time I got hatemail was :(

I've gotten some rage, but that's about it. I need to taste the tears of my opponents. This is probably why i've been playing like ass......low....on....sodium.

Rocky_Balboa said:
GGs.
I know Rog vs Rog match up pretty well, so I think you could have done better with some other characters. Especially character with a good focus attack. Let's do it again some day.

Also I played against a 3000PP Yun today in Endless and I think I have the match up down. It is about zoning correctly and keeping him the fuck out so he can't start those infinite block strings. Although at some point I got good results by being pretty aggressive. So I guess it has to be a mixture of things sometimes.

I had no chance. Just really need the practice in order to punish the things you were doing.

Really surprised at how well the netcode really was. I had a couple of times when I need an overhead to come out but I'm sure the same thing happened to you as well.

There's no shortcuts to getting good, I just need to play more.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
OT, but I know there are people in here who stopped playing MK because of the netcode and holy fuck, the patch improved the netcode like 100x.

LeMaximilian said:

But more importantly was the match quality. I'm thinking SSF4: Arcade Edition - The Online Warrior could definitely be on the horizon. Working out the concept if it's at all possible with the current schedule tho...

Oh yes, please!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
eva01 said:
Thats really good Max. Have you been noticing dropped inputs? Supposedly ken's crouch medium kick got nerfed in AE.

I was still using it as the primary poke, so I'm not too sure as it's been a hella long time since I played extensively. I did have some questionable stuff happen while playing online, but that's pretty much normal at this point.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
LeMaximilian said:

Bring back the Ken vids Max! Do it for the people.

Sim best be in sfxt because ive already decided on my team of Dhalsim/Twelve, guaranteed the best team in the game. I'm just excited for another game with my boy twelve again :)

Procarbine said:
Has anyone seen any good Oni gameplay footage out there? I saw one good japanese oni from an arcade linked here a day or two before US release and I've seen some combo videos, including desk's, but I've had trouble finding solid Oni in matches.

Aside from Mike Ross, of course

Fuck Mike Ross, I'm the best Oni. I won't save my matches though :D
I'll tell you what i told saty. the #1 combo every oni needs to know is clk, clp, lp, fp xx hk tatsu. ill let you figure out why on your own, but its absolutely central to his game unless you play like a maniac like mike ross.

other than fierces insanely slow startup and rh being punishable on hit, twelve has good normals for a game with no parries, especially a game with chain combos. thats why twelve is in sfxt, ono is using him as a proof of concept for a new darkstalkers, with his crazy animations and jedah-esque game plan.

im more worried that seth said fireball tag might be too powerful, and that it is removed in the current build. it cant be that much better than tatsu tag, right? if it stays out i might have to use a character with slow lows like cammy or guile with twelve instead of a slow fireball. im also interested in the special moves they give to the tekken characters.

edit:im on ps3 beef

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
God's Beard said:
Fuck Mike Ross, I'm the best Oni. I won't save my matches though :D
I'll tell you what i told saty. the #1 combo every oni needs to know is clk, clp, lp, fp xx hk tatsu. ill let you figure out why on your own, but its absolutely central to his game unless you play like a maniac like mike ross.

I've been linking into lk fist slash and mixing up from there, I also like it more because I suck and drop combos and lk fist slash is safe on block. I like it because you can fadc and extend the combo as well, but I haven't looked into the hk tatsu, which I'll do. The stun you can get out of the fist slash stuff is awesome.

I like linking to c.fp because it stands up, but the range is so bad. I need to play this game more often to be able to use the proper combo after hit confirming, because I was whiffing stand fierce all the time on crouching targets >.<

The rest of my game is based on super demon shenanigans because I love them so much. I choked when I played haunts on his stream though, so hard, so very hard...

jdub03

LeMaximilian said:

Yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom