• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rentahamster said:
Wow, just saw Poongko's destruction of Momochi on Youtube.

Goddamn.

He had one of the most amazing runs I've ever seen in a tournament. Not only did he practically run over some of the best players in the world, but his reads were right like 90% of the time. Everytime momochi guessed command throw and went for up kicks, Poongko just blocked. Everytime Momochi did FADC backwards, Poongko did fierce canceled into tanden engine into combo. It was like he was psychic.

But after a performance like that, it would be a tragedy if he didn't come to EVO. Practically overnight he went from the guy who beats up on scrubs while doing the most flashy combos he can to one of the best AE players in the world.

I never realized just how good Seth was until recently. I mean, I knew his pressure game was insane, but I always thought he took longer to kill than he does. Bait a DP, and you get a punish that leads into a reset that stuns.

clFP xx LP Fireball FADC clFP xx HK Legs, Stomp x3, Dive Kick, reset
cLK, cLP, clFP xx HK Legs, stun. 2 bars and a reset isn't bad for a stun.

Also, if you replace the HK legs on the reset with a shoryuken, an instant overhead stomp will stun them for minimum damage scaling :-o

elfinke

Diablohead said:
Slightly OT but anyone buying SFIV VOLT tonight? iOS with online play and 3 new characters.

Yep I grabbed it while it's $1.19. I played vanilla iOS SFIV a fair bit, so I'm sure I'll find time to load this up too...

... speaking of which, I'm almost done with Trenched on the xboxen, and have 1200 points left over; buy AE or not? What say ye?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Well Jago finally revealed what happened;

Jago said:
for all of you that didnt i have my appendix removed whic is eh but there where complications when they found a tumor between that and my colon its all removed now but what ended happening was my colon is to dilated to open so im in hospital with an NG2 down my nose and throat and a caliphitar in my penis so i am just trying to stay motivated.

Shout outs to PSN for the hate mail. A couple of hate mail stories to warm the heart.

Last week I played AE on PS3 for the first time in a little while. I use Evil Ryu and play a Juri who kept spamming wheel kick and I just didn't expect it. I got a little angry and kept trying to jump in, and he anti-air'd me 3 times in a row to finish the match. He messages me saying "haha, so weak". So I run it back with my best character Ken. He picks Dhalsim probably thinking "LOL, i'm going to win with one button". First round I win with over 90% of my health remaining, 2nd round I perfect him. He's quick to send me a message telling me that I don't have to cry now that I beat him. Sure dude, whatever makes you feel better.

Fast forward a week later(or just 20 minutes ago) I finally play on PSN again for the first time since the incident above. I host a ranked match and use Evil Ryu again, and my opponent picks Blanka. I'm like damn, I have to play hella lame because I know that's how he's going to play. So we both play very lame and I win it in 3 rounds. He messages me calling me a chink and that I'm a fag for using a turtle character. A Blanka player of all people, lol.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
God damnit this game is amazing... not only are there are so many layers to the game in general but each character has a surprising amount of depth. Right now I've just learned with good consitsency - sagat's blockstring(?) crossup j.lk, c.lk, s.lk, c.lp, c.mp xx ex tiger knee ultra. The tiger knee will crossup and combo into the ultra.

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEWL!

edit : and just like that my 360 crashed. Guess it's time for another red ring. So july 5th for AE PC right? -_o

elfinke said:
Yep I grabbed it while it's $1.19. I played vanilla iOS SFIV a fair bit, so I'm sure I'll find time to load this up too...

... speaking of which, I'm almost done with Trenched on the xboxen, and have 1200 points left over; buy AE or not? What say ye?
Yeah I'm thinking about picking it up today for 99 cents

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
PSA: hayates are stupid unsafe on block. That shit is not Balrog's LP dash straight. LP hayate is -8 on block, MP is -6, HP is -5, and EX is -4. The EX version is a just-frame punish for some characters, but others can still punish it fairly easily. It's also not hard to space LP hayates so that they're relatively safe, but she's still at such a large frame disadvantage that you can take control of the flow of the match.

If she charges the hayate they become a frame more safe with each level (lvl 1 LP hayate is -8, lvl 2 LP hayate is -7, etc), but there's little reason for Makoto players to ever charge hayates outside of combos or after focus attacks.

I went through and watched all the matches in my replay log a few days ago and of the 30 matches I watched, there were only a few people that seemed to know how to punish hayates. None of those matches were against anyone from here AFAIK, but I figure there are still a bunch of people here who don't know how unsafe hayates are.

More people need to start punishing hayates properly so I stop feeling like I can just throw them out there with impunity. It's a bad habit I've developed purely because I'm not used to people actually making me pay for it.

edit: Wow, that sucks about Andre. Hope he recovers quickly. I just started playing Bison somewhat seriously so it's gonna suck not seeing him on streams as often, but there's no future in playing fighting games competitively so it's understandable why he'd want to start focusing on other things. Even Justin Wong has a real job.

mbmonk

PS3 version of AE is $35 at Amazon. The 360 version is $38.99.. so make sure to order to get that $1 savings on the 360 version.... :p

Rice-Eater said:
Shout outs to PSN for the hate mail. A couple of hate mail stories to warm the heart.

It interests me that people send nasty msg to make themselves feel better after losing. I guess they just want to vent. Regardless I normally don't respond. If it's a friendly message I will respond though.

Rice-Eater said:
Last week I played AE on PS3 for the first time in a little while. I use Evil Ryu and play a Juri who kept spamming wheel kick and I just didn't expect it. I got a little angry and kept trying to jump in, and he anti-air'd me 3 times in a row to finish the match. He messages me saying "haha, so weak". So I run it back with my best character Ken. He picks Dhalsim probably thinking "LOL, i'm going to win with one button". First round I win with over 90% of my health remaining, 2nd round I perfect him. He's quick to send me a message telling me that I don't have to cry now that I beat him. Sure dude, whatever makes you feel better.

This interests me. Why did you switch characters to your main? Was it simply to show him you were better than him?

mbmonk said:
This interests me. Why did you switch characters to your main? Was it simply to show him you were better than him?

You could say that, but not necessarily. He talked shit so I wanted to kick his ass, and that meant playing the character that I'm best with. That was my main intention for switching, although I can see where people may think that the two reasons are practically the same.

But I tend to do this quite a bit with or without hate mail. I'm playing Evil Ryu primarily in AE, but if I lose to someone and feel that it's going to be too tough with Evil Ryu. I'll try to run it back with Ken and rely on the old tactics and shenanigans that I've been doing for a while.

mbmonk

Side story about some PSN message I received yesterday. I had a Yun player send me a message about how I mashed electricity to beat him at the end of a close match. Of course he was rushing me down. But what I found interesting about the message was that since he couldn't criticize my decision to use electricity as Blanka ( because it was the correct decision and got me the victory ) he tried attacking my execution instead.

Rice-Eater said:
You could say that, but not necessarily. He talked shit so I wanted to kick his ass, and that meant playing the character that I'm best with. That was my main intention for switching, although I can see where people may think that the two reasons are practically the same.

But I tend to do this quite a bit with or without hate mail. I'm playing Evil Ryu primarily in AE, but if I lose to someone and feel that it's going to be too tough with Evil Ryu. I'll try to run it back with Ken and rely on the old tactics and shenanigans that I've been doing for a while.

Thanks. That makes sense. I am so ignorant of the game I tend to play every match with the character I am attempting to learn with. Even if I have read it's a bad match up I play it regardless because I need to learn exactly why it's a bad match up and what I can and can't do against that character.

But there is a bit of satisfaction in dominating someone who talks trash. I love doing that in any sport much less video games :)

_dementia said:

There is a strange beauty in his execution.. man I must be a Street Fighter nerd to see and say something like that :p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Lots of things are more common as you get older, but not exclusively old-people problems.

Andre's really lucky that they were able to stumble onto this when they did.

Axis

Lost Fragment said:
PSA: hayates are stupid unsafe on block. That shit is not Balrog's LP dash straight. LP hayate is -8 on block, MP is -6, HP is -5, and EX is -4. The EX version is a just-frame punish for some characters, but others can still punish it fairly easily. It's also not hard to space LP hayates so that they're relatively safe, but she's still at such a large frame disadvantage that you can take control of the flow of the match.

If she charges the hayate they become a frame more safe with each level (lvl 1 LP hayate is -8, lvl 2 LP hayate is -7, etc), but there's little reason for Makoto players to ever charge hayates outside of combos or after focus attacks.

I went through and watched all the matches in my replay log a few days ago and of the 30 matches I watched, there were only a few people that seemed to know how to punish hayates. None of those matches were against anyone from here AFAIK, but I figure there are still a bunch of people here who don't know how unsafe hayates are.

More people need to start punishing hayates properly so I stop feeling like I can just throw them out there with impunity. It's a bad habit I've developed purely because I'm not used to people actually making me pay for it.

that's how i feel about fei longs as well...they'll throw out 2 rekkas like it's safe and i'm not sure if it's from people not punishing them or if they just don't know

Lost Fragment said:
Lots of things are more common as you get older, but not exclusively old-people problems.

Andre's really lucky that they were able to stumble onto this when they did.

so many things to worry about in life. Sorry, I am always paranoid about me, my g/f, and my family. I have lost so many people to cancer already.

Glad Andre is doing ok and had that thing detected early.

Axis said:
that's how i feel about fei longs as well...they'll throw out 2 rekkas like it's safe and i'm not sure if it's from people not punishing them or if they just don't know
Yeah, I see gootecks do it all the time with impunity on Excellent Adventures.

Corky

thank god gen is a difficult character to play, without a doubt the most annoying character to play against. Maybe El furte.

Dear god I hate gen.

Axis

_dementia said:
Yeah, I see gootecks do it all the time with impunity on Excellent Adventures.

i can accept gootecks doing it as he's new the character...but i'll face someone like res i excel or hunted chimera who are two of the top fei's on xbl and wreck their shit cuz they always do 2 rekkas as opposed to 1 just to keep me honest...i just don't get doing blatantly unsafe shit and hoping someone doesn't know the matchup

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Corky said:
thank god gen is a difficult character to play, without a doubt the most annoying character to play against. Maybe El furte.

Dear god I hate gen.
u mad cuz you cannot touch what u cannot see?

Corky

~Devil Trigger~ said:
u mad cuz you cannot touch what u cannot see?

I'm mad, I'm mad :(

me vs gen :

- lose all air duels
- trade my AA to gens favor, all...the...time
- gen does that forward mp or what that is , little "mini-chinpunch" that beats everything over and over again. Until it hits so he can do it x2 and then cancel into hands or upkick -> mixup
- win 1 round lose 1 round
- round 3, pummel him until he has full ultra
- gen does any bloody normal into hands xx super -> ultra for 1500 dmg. Lose round 3. Punch puppies in face.

Again, bless the lord for his high entry-level.

I cannot block Crane ultra 2 ever. it's like free damage. Does it hit overhead or something? Can it cross up?

Every time I see it come out I think "oh, I'll just block and punish" yet it always hits.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
_dementia said:
I cannot block Crane ultra 2 ever. it's like free damage. Does it hit overhead or something? Can it cross up?

Every time I see it come out I think "oh, I'll just block and punish" yet it always hits.
im not sure if its an overhead, but im almost positive it can crossup

you cant jump back when he has that Ultra

Corky

Hooray!!

I lost my shit and felt my brain going into insanity-mode, but before I went Hulk smash I turned on the lucid monk zen and slowly yet calmly put down my controller. Fin.

PROGRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom