• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
BigFwoosh said:
How is AE for newcomers? I bought vanilla 4 after it went on sale when Super was announced, but I didn't play it much. Would I get completely bodied online, or are there other scrubs like me?

I own Super, but didn't get the chance to play it for more than 3-4 hours total. I'm essentially jumping from vanilla to AE, so you're in the same boat I am =P

let me repeat. I have no problem throwing PC into the mix for ranbats...I have to see enough bodies for it though.

TWO SLOTS LEFT FOR XBL

14 slots left for psn...

Imm0rt4l

Kadey said:
I'm only liking two of the eight new costumes.

And Oni isn't Akuma.
of course he is, he rips off his beads right before the fight starts.

I'm using the Rasta Evil Ryu as a training dummy.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Oni is an Oni based on an Oni from Onimusha. Kind of stupid to call him Oni since Oni is a race, species or whatever.

I like Adidas Yang and Brother whateverthatchinesebum's name is Evil Ryu.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Imm0rt4l said:

It means something that there isn't really an English word for. It's supposed to be a word for some kind of mischievous mythical creature like a troll or something, and not something completely evil, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I don't really pay attention to the story in Street Fighter but hasn't Akuma always been searching for some kind of ultimate power? I kinda assumed that Oni is supposed to be what Akuma would be if he found that power.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It does. But it can also mean Ogre and devil. The Oni and Demons in Onimusha are at a never ending war. They are two different kind. Big badass boss of Onimusha created the demons, called something different in the games while the (Ironically) God of Darkness created the Oni.

Oh yeah. And the only way for a Human to become an Oni is to use the Gauntlet that you see in the games. The only exception is of course having a bloodline from an Oni, ala Jubei from Onimusha 2.

Imm0rt4l

Lost Fragment said:
It means something that there isn't really an English word for. It's supposed to be a word for some kind of mischievous mythical creature like a troll or something, and not something completely evil, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I don't really pay attention to the story in Street Fighter but hasn't Akuma always been searching for some kind of ultimate power? I kinda assumed that Oni is supposed to be what Akuma would be if he found that power.

Probably is, honestly I don't think Capcom even knows the deal. SF is bottom tier as far as story is concerned haha.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Guard Crush again tomorrow, this time singles, been a serious Guard Crush overload lately. No complaints here though.

Hugbot said:
Speaking of Oni, who should I be looking up to see him played well?

Eita

notworksafe

Lost Fragment said:
Basically this is what Oni is. According to his SF character page, Oni is Akuma after he has lost control of his power and has turned into an actual demon.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Seth Killian said Oni is Akuma. There goes the debate. I'm not going to ask how. Maybe the name isn't exactly what I'm talking about and just something they gave him as a tribute to the games. He's supposed to be the end of the line form of Akuma beyond even Shin Akuma.

You were right Immortal.

Mœbius

GhostRidah said:
$15 for all the costumes in AE pc? holy shit
Where can I find the DLC? When I click on the DLC link for AE on Steam I see nothing...

(Note: I've already purchased AE and it's available for pre-load in my region but it's not released until the 9th.)

pirateben said:
Where can I find the DLC? When I click on the DLC link for AE on Steam I see nothing...

(Note: I've already purchased AE and it's available for pre-load in my region but it's not released until the 9th.)
The DLC for Steam won't be out for a little while apparently.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll be picking up the PC version. Probably won't play on it much if at all. I'm just going to use it to create alts. :) Already have one in mind I've been talking about forever.

Threi

notag
zlatko said:
This is one of those things that works on smart players more than it does Xbox Live. On Live during this the guy will A) mash a reversal or B) try to jump.
If a clearly telegraphed reset is coming isn't that the smartest thing to do?

Hey guys, if you bought AE for your PC through digital download, where did you get it? I tried D2D, but I can't finish the purchase because they don't recognize my phone number for some reason. I looked at Capcom, but it says it's "backordered". And I don't play anything else besides SF, let alone PC games, so I don't want to bother with installing Steam to get it from them. Any other place I could go?

Rice-Eater said:
Hey guys, if you bought AE for your PC through digital download, where did you get it? I tried D2D, but I can't finish the purchase because they don't recognize my phone number for some reason. I looked at Capcom, but it says it's "backordered". And I don't play anything else besides SF, let alone PC games, so I don't want to bother with installing Steam to get it from them. Any other place I could go?

Gamersgate has it and they don't have any client that you have to run while playing the game.

Rice-Eater said:
Steam is very light weight now, I would give them a try if I were you, if not it might be on amazon for download, not sure though.

SuperLurker said:
Gamersgate has it and they don't have any client that you have to run while playing the game.

And I just made the purchase, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I'm also downloading at 3.2 Mbps(I didn't even know I could d/l this fast lol), should be done in less then 40 minutes, woot.

Aruarian Reflection said:
People on AE PC don't seem that good yet. I just won 8 out of my first 9 games using my vanilla Balrog. Online play was silky smooth for me. So good!

So you're saying

Me on PSN = Kind of good

Me on LIVE = Decent player

Me on PC = GAWT LIKE

Oh, I'm looking forward to this.

jlai

I found connections were a lot more spotty on PC. I guess it makes sense considering not only do you have to rely on a good connection, but also that your opponent has a decent computer.

Was pretty smooth with God's Beard, given we're pretty close, but my connection with Kak in my opinion a little worse than our usual games on 360. With GB, our games would start up almost immediately after picking the stage, only taking a half second or so on the VS screen where you see both chars/ultra/stage/etc, which was pretty neat.

Ranked connections were a mixed bag

People with AE PC add my GFWL tag (west coast preferred): jlai

I need someone to teach me how to combo. I just lost 500 pp tonight. It would be really easy to go back to Bison but I want to be reasonable with someone else. I can't even do Ryu's FADC ultra :(
I think I need to stop playing fighting games all together since I just end up stressed and salty. Its not the loses but me failing to punish, hitting the wrong anti air, mashing tech throw and still get thrown. I'm not mad, just sad something I really enjoy watching I suck at.

/End salty rant and time for me to go back and be a family man.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So where are the holes in Guy's blockstrings? Whenever I play a good Guy I get fucked up trying to figure out how I'm supposed to escape his pressure. I'm guessing he's at least at negative frames after he cancels whatever into run/stop right?

Imm0rt4l

Lost Fragment said:
So where are the holes in Guy's blockstrings? Whenever I play a good Guy I get fucked up trying to figure out how I'm supposed to escape his pressure. I'm guessing he's at least at negative frames after he cancels whatever into run/stop right?
From my experience against really good guys, it seems his strings are air tight. I think one of the keys is being able to punish his elbow drop effectively as he pushes himself further and further away from you it's inevitable that he'll do it, and I'm supposing that's where you gotta mount the offense. I really don't know, this guy Beehol has a guy that owns my soul x_x.

Hopefully some guy player here can elaborate though, because I'm sure theirs room for reversals granted that your character has a good one.

Goukens ex tatsu is asscheeks whiffs on crouching FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

MiniBossBattle said:
I need someone to teach me how to combo. I just lost 500 pp tonight. It would be really easy to go back to Bison but I want to be reasonable with someone else. I can't even do Ryu's FADC ultra :(
I think I need to stop playing fighting games all together since I just end up stressed and salty. Its not the loses but me failing to punish, hitting the wrong anti air, mashing tech throw and still get thrown. I'm not mad, just sad something I really enjoy watching I suck at.

/End salty rant and time for me to go back and be a family man.

What's the problem with Ryu FADC Ultra? My problem was always that the ultra wouldn't come out. I would get EX-Shoryu instead of that. Finally I realized that most of the time my inputs ended in downforward. Then I just made sure that the final input before pressing buttons is forward and it works.

Mœbius

Aruarian Reflection said:
People on AE PC don't seem that good yet. I just won 8 out of my first 9 games using my vanilla Balrog. Online play was silky smooth for me. So good!
Cool. So just to be clear, the 'correct' framerate setting to have for online play "Fixed" right?

I have AE PC installed and updated. I just spent about 10 minutes in the training room and played one online match. My conclusion is that I'm not going to play another online match until I buy a new video card, the one I have right now is total ass I knew that already but I figured it would be good enough for now. Unfortunately it's not, game looks close enough to what you would see on PS3/360, except with no AA, slow down, plenty of screen tearing, and so on. Time to order that GTX 460 SE/GTS 450 right now instead of later.

Solune

Lost Fragment said:
hitsugi is probably the best person to ask here, but haven't seen him post recently. I believe Guy is -2 if he cancels Far S.MP into run stop but is even if he cancels Close S.FP. He's also -2 after blocked LP Shoulder.

Mœbius

Rice-Eater said:
I'm not going to play another online match until I buy a new video card, the one I have right now is total ass I knew that already but I figured it would be good enough for now.
What's your current card?

pirateben said:
What's your current card?

9500GT

I bought it 2 years ago with no intention of playing PC games. I didn't do much research either so I didn't know that I could have gotten a much better card(9600GT) for only 10-20 dollars more. I just saw the one I had right now for about 85 dollars and got it. So yeah, I'm really regretting that decision right now.

EDIT: Just found a ATI 1GB 5770 for $70 on Craig's List. But the guy lives an hour away. It's either this or order something and wait till Monday for it to get to my house. I think I'll just make the trip this afternoon.

SamVimes

BigFwoosh said:
How is AE for newcomers? I bought vanilla 4 after it went on sale when Super was announced, but I didn't play it much. Would I get completely bodied online, or are there other scrubs like me?
If you like the game and you really want to become good it's not gonna be that much of a problem, i starded playing more than a year later than everyone else and now i think i'm fairly decent.

Mœbius

Rice-Eater said:
9500GT...

EDIT: Just found a ATI 1GB 5770 for $70 on Craig's List. But the guy lives an hour away. It's either this or order something and wait till Monday for it to get to my house. I think I'll just make the trip this afternoon.
Anyone who loves Street Fighter enough to do this is my best friend.

pirateben said:
Anyone who loves Street Fighter enough to do this is my best friend.

Don't make me make a list of all the stuff I've bought because of the SF4 series. It will be long, and the number will be high. But it's all because of SF4. Have and always will be a big SF fan since 1992.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom