• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Satyamdas said:
Are you fucking serious? I've heard the phrase dozens if not hundreds of times, in competitive arenas and out. There is no ambiguity in the meaning, and I'm sorry that your reliance on Google has hampered your ability to parse everyday language.
I am serious, you'd think if it was everyday language and as widely known as you're saying, it would show up somewhere. That was just my first take on what it meant anyway, doesn't matter either way. Don't know why you're getting confrontational over it. You win, he most definitely meant the other one, sure.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
DryEyeRelief said:
Just because I watch the playoffs on television doesn't make me part of the NBA.

You go into this whole spiel about advertising and jobs when that wasn't what I was talking about. Not at all.

It does make you part of the NBA community, though. Without the fans there wouldn't be an NBA either.

ARvQS.jpg

For what it's worth, I've don't think I've seen YFF attached to the EAD part, but if I had to guess, going off the tone of that tweet, it sounds like a slur. But who gives a shit? I'm still mad hyped for EVO this year. 'Gonna get my stream monster on proper...

Satyamdas

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
I am serious, you'd think if it was everyday language and as widely known as you're saying, it would show up somewhere. That was just my first take on what it meant anyway, doesn't matter either way. Don't know why you're getting confrontational over it. You win, he most definitely meant the other one, sure.
Look up "EAD" on urban dictionary. Eat a dick is there. Basically he added the lesser known YFF to give the EAD a little extra needed oomph. Not about winning anything, just a little common sense. I guess I was amused at the protection of Mike's honor, as if he is too pure to think of using such a slur even in acronym form.

Zlatko said:
No, I said what they PROVIDE me with is entertainment. I'm well aware of the hard work it goes into providing the streams, and while I do not know everything that goes into an event, I do know it's a lot of work with probably little thanks. I'm also aware that the players have to put in a ton of time to get to where they are in order to battle against the others who do the same.

Their hard work, once put into motion as a broadcast becomes entertainment where I can cheer a player on, and feel excited in their wins, or be bummed at a loss, and of course their emotion is on a much higher scale than my own. I tune in for the entertainment, and hopefully that one extra viewer is helping the streamer with ad revenue, and I often facebook and tweet the events in hopes more people that know me pop in to see.

Good on you for your contributions, but it's still about the broadcast. Isn't it?

Think about it. What was your reaction to say...Shadowloo Showdown missing some of the top 16?

The FGC has this new relationship with other people, where they have to put on a good show. There's a line between the people making it and the people consuming the product.

Satyamdas said:
I actually think it's kind of endearing that these guys can't picture Mike Ross using that word, and honestly I'd be shocked to hear him say it. Really speaks to the level of class he conducts himself with.

Yeeeeah, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut.

Procarbine said:
It does make you part of the NBA community, though. Without the fans there wouldn't be an NBA either.

If it weren't for me there would be no Kobe Byrant.

Satyamdas said:
I guess I was amused at the protection of Mike's honor, as if he is too pure to think of using such a slur even in acronym form.
I don't know the guy beyond what he shows, so I gos with what I sees. I gotta admit he doesn't seem like the kind to give a shit about the opinions of internet nobodies.

zlatko

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Good on you for your contributions, but it's still about the broadcast. Isn't it?

Think about it. What was your reaction to say...Shadowloo Showdown missing some of the top 16?

The FGC has this new relationship with other people, where they have to put on a good show. There's a line between the people making it and the people consuming the product.

If it weren't for me there would be no Kobe Byrant.

I was mentioning my "role" or whatever in it, in that I would think I am a part of the FGC. It's not like I have zero plans to go to an event someday or try my hand at a competition. It's a matter of "when" and not if. The other things I mentioned about myself personally are to show that just because you are primarily a stream monster, that doesn't mean you should be entirely discredited out of the scene as some troll who says dumb shit in chats non stop and makes fun of players all the time or whatever it is you have stream monsters pegged for as a whole.

As for Shadowloo I'm not sure about that in anyway, because of my sleep schedule not lining up with it, and so I had to tune into the captured footage. I wasn't aware they missed a lot of top 16, but that sucks. Shadowloo was my favorite tournament this year though, because it came as quite a surprise on how good the quality of everything was, and plus MooseKing was a great commentator.

Sure there's a line between who makes it and who consumes it, but they feed off each other don't they? Without a stream and growth caused by stream monsters(good or bad), then the exposure of the scene and the players doesn't go up. Stream monsters don't all necessarily have to be part of the FGC, just like a random guy who comes over to a buddies house to watch a NBA game when he doesn't know shit bout basketball/teams/players, etc isn't a part of the NBA fan community.

With the whole Mike Ross comment though it's fine what he said in his comment with me, but I hope he doesn't view everyone online in the same regard like that. Does Peacefuljay go to events? I mean if he doesn't, and he's primarily a stream monster himself, and HE isn't considered part of the FGC... then that's a bit fucked up don't you think?

I think all I'm trying to say is bottom line that not all stream monsters are pond scum and even the pond scum have their place in helping harbor growth to the FGC.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I root for my favorite players, nationality be damned. Same thing with real sports: I cheer for my favorite players, not the jersey that they wear. Saying that I should support all USA players just because they happen to live in the same country as me is pretty laughable.

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Mike Ross has cultivated a nice public image. He comes across as likeable and friendly to everyone. But away from the cameras and any attempts to project that image lies his actual personality. I'm willing to bet that he is very close to the image we see on Machinima, CrossCounter, etc., but I don't know him personally, so I can't say whether he drops the F-Bomb in his private time. From the persona I've seen, it doesn't seem likely, and I think that is why a lot of dudes assumed he meant frauds, as they couldn't picture him saying something as crass as F-----.

Rickenslacker said:
I don't know the guy beyond what he shows, so I gos with what I sees. I gotta admit he doesn't seem like the kind to give a shit about the opinions of internet nobodies.
Which is why he just dedicated an angry rant directly at them. Ok.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I root for Fubar. ♥ Hey, that Humanbomb guy, if that's his name is pretty cute too.

Some of this stuff is meant for stream chat. There is a reason why many top players do not post on forums and such.

zlatko said:
Sure there's a line between who makes it and who consumes it, but they feed off each other don't they? Without a stream and growth caused by stream monsters(good or bad), then the exposure of the scene and the players doesn't go up. Stream monsters don't all necessarily have to be part of the FGC, just like a random guy who comes over to a buddies house to watch a NBA game when he doesn't know shit bout basketball/teams/players, etc isn't a part of the NBA fan community.

With the whole Mike Ross comment though it's fine what he said in his comment with me, but I hope he doesn't view everyone online in the same regard like that. Does Peacefuljay go to events? I mean if he doesn't, and he's primarily a stream monster himself, and HE isn't considered part of the FGC... then that's a bit fucked up don't you think?

I think all I'm trying to say is bottom line that not all stream monsters are pond scum and even the pond scum have their place in helping harbor growth to the FGC.

That's essentially what Django was saying before.

About Peaceful Jay, it isn't a matter of being online or not, since a lot of these guys don't meet face to face unless it's some sort of big event. With Jay, he's provided a venue for online players to get together and fight. That's why so many people seem to have PJS before their handle now.

I mean some of the dumb stream monster jokes about Latif was that he was less "free" because he dropped the PJS, but that's to show you how the priorities are a world apart. Hell yeah, that lobby is useless because it doesn't have players for you to dickride. It's all about entertainment value.

GunbladeV

Banned
I'm guessing i just read it as frauds first because thats the language he uses when i hear him lol.

I can't believe this has been a topic of discussion, i wonder if anyone actually cares which it meant?

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
That's essentially what Django was saying before.

About Peaceful Jay, it isn't a matter of being online or not, since a lot of these guys don't meet face to face unless it's some sort of big event. With Jay, he's provided a venue for online players to get together and fight. That's why so many people seem to have PJS before their handle now.

I mean some of the dumb stream monster jokes about Latif was that he was less "free" because he dropped the PJS, but that's to show you how the priorities are a world apart. Hell yeah, that lobby is useless because it doesn't have players for you to dickride. It's all about entertainment value.
Wait what? I have seen some top tier dickriding in that stream chat. You might not always have a face to match the gamertag with, but that doesn't mean dudes like Zeniside, White Gun, and DBJ don't have legions of dickriders watching and chatting about them.

Satyamdas said:
Wait what? I have seen some top tier dickriding in that stream chat. You might not always have a face to match the gamertag with, but that doesn't mean dudes like Zeniside, White Gun, and DBJ don't have legions of dickriders watching and chatting about them.

I didn't mean to imply that they don't exist. Not everyone acknowledges them though.

Does Mr.SNK still play there?

This game is fun. Played some with my co-workers who haven't touched fighting games since SF2 or Tekken on PS2. They were blown away on how many characters there are.

Can't wait to watch EVO (with the comment section hidden).

MiniBossBattle said:
This game is fun. Played some with my co-workers who haven't touched fighting games since SF2 or Tekken on PS2. They were blown away on how many characters there are.

Can't wait to watch EVO (with the comment section hidden).
The only way to watch EVO if you ain't there.

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I didn't mean to imply that they don't exist. Not everyone acknowledges them though.

Does Mr.SNK still play there?
I haven't seen him there on the few occasions I've watched PJS recently.

Damn Latif being one of the strongest players in US not going to sbo is really disheartening, hope he gets top 8 in evo. Hope Wolfkrone makes it out to the east coast sbo qualifier.

Imm0rt4l

I wonder if it was both of them with passport issues? Latif seems like a dick, but he's a damn good player, he would have represented thorougly imo, oh well.

Rocwell

Team 'No SBO For You' confirms that they will forfeit their spot for the runner up team due to passport/visa complications.
Oh, the Irony.

Marn vindicated?

What people don’t realize is that there were many teams in the tournament, trying to keep away the top players from winning that had no intention of winning. Do I think that’s more of an argument than Mr.SNK? Yes. I do. Why would you purposely enter a tournament that had no prize except a plane ticket, but had no passport, no money to go to japan, or not even having the intention of going to Japan? There’s no rules against it, but then again, it’s what everyone calls, “Gatekeeping”. But in the end, is it really worth the hassle to keep everyone who actually plans on going from going? Is that a nice thing to do or a straight up dick thing to do?

I'm wondering what the exact issue was. I think Latif was born elsewhere so that could have complicated things I suppose.

Edit: I think Marn was specifically talking about team Fei Hawk who was, it was stated, didn't have any intention of actually going to SBO. I have to imagine that this was something that they thought they could work out but it hit some kind of snag when they tried to work on it this week.

USD

Pretty sure Latif was born in Saudi Arabia. If he isn't a US citizen, than he's ineligible, as the SBO staff specified only US citizens could take the US qualifying spots.

Regardless, that sucks.

USD said:
Pretty sure Latif was born in Saudi Arabia. If he isn't a US citizen, than he's ineligible, as the SBO staff specified only US citizens could take the US qualifying spots.

Regardless, that sucks.

It seems him even coming was up in the air until the last minute, so maybe he didn't read the rules carefully enough.

USD

Just checked the SRK threads for the qualifier information. The West Coast qualifier thread doesn't mention the US citizen requirement (and even offers instructions for passport application for non-US citizens) while the Southwest qualifier thread says this:

To participate in the SBO Qualifier event, your team must consist of two U.S. Citizens. Non-U.S. Citizens are not permitted to enter. Both players must present their U.S. Passport, or photocopied proof of their application for a passport to enter the event, as SBO will be ~5 weeks after our qualifier. This is the official ruling on this event from SBO Staff.

That might have been a mis-step by the organizers to not know the full rules.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
USD said:

Regardless, that sucks.

I thought you had to bring all your documentation TO the tournament so this stuff doesn't happen.

Imm0rt4l

USD said:

Regardless, that sucks.
edit: damn that sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom