• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sephi22 said:
Don't know if already posted but I was watching the Capcom Unity stream on this guy's archive and he's already got King of Chinatown archived.
http://www.twitch.tv/marquezsf/b/290733267

Wow, this is as much about Triforce as Justin. Dat drama

Man watching this brings back some memories from the early days of SF4. It almost makes me wonder, did Capcom's decision to invite Daigo and pay for his travel expenses change the outcome of EVO 2K9/2K10, sponsorship for Japanese players, and the history of the early competitive SF4 scene?

Besides Daigo and Dan, no other Japanese came to EVO 2K9. And Daigo and Dan probably only came because Daigo won at the Gamestop Nationals. After winning EVO, he gets invited to more international tournaments with his expenses taken care of and then eventually lands his sponsorship with Mad Catz. He pretty much paves the way for other Japanese players to see that "yeah, there is actually some money to be made in this game we play".

Things may be very different today if Capcom had not flew Daigo over, which did not please many US players I might add. Would that mean that US > Japan in SF, no, not at all. Difference would be that the Japanese would be too broke to come over here to take our money. So without the exposure, we may not have MCZ Daigo, EG Momochi, or e.Live Kindevu like we have right now.

EDIT Just finished it, man kind of a sad ending LOL. And I mean sad as in kink of pathetic. Triforce really does seem kind of far out there. And his hopes for Sanford and MVC3 ended so quickly as Sanford practically dropped the game overnight to remain focused on SF4. And then we have Justin sending Daigo to losers at Season's Beatings. Only to lose later in GF, which they left out.

sephi22

Rice-Eater said:
EDIT Just finished it, man kind of a sad ending LOL. And I mean sad as in kink of pathetic. Triforce really does seem kind of far out there. And his hopes for Sanford and MVC3 ended so quickly as Sanford practically dropped the game overnight to remain focused on SF4. And then we have Justin sending Daigo to losers at Season's Beatings. Only to lose later in GF, which they left out.
Yeah. Ending is pretty sad. Back when Justin and Marn left there was this whole expose about Triforce's rules about taking a percentage of the win money to pay the rent and generally made him look like a bad guy.
I'm glad I could see the other side of the situation. Sure, Triforce's way of going about business wasn't really legal, but it looks like he tried as much as possible to bring in sponsors before the scene blew up

USD

HOLY SHIT

Shiro is soooooooooo lucky. Going for shenanigans almost cost him the match.

Grand Finals now, Momochi vs. Shiro. Winner gets a spot in GODSGARDEN #4.

USD

Man, Momochi ran over Shiro in those last two rounds. Everyone was cheering for Shiro but alas, the power of Yun.

So Momochi has a guaranteed spot in GODSGARDEN #4 on August 20. Not too sure about Shiro's chances of making it though, as he didn't do too well in the current fan vote standings. There's always the preliminary rounds, but I have no idea if he'll be going.

sephi22 said:
Don't know if already posted but I was watching the Capcom Unity stream on this guy's archive and he's already got King of Chinatown archived.
http://www.twitch.tv/marquezsf/b/290733267

Wow, this is as much about Triforce as Justin. Dat drama

Just watched this. Compared to I Got Next Short Cut, it doesn't have the same production values. There were also some serious typos like associaties being misspelled.

I think it was more a story of Triforce than Justin Wong. Honestly, it's pretty sad. His business model and revenue streams aren't really good. Justin was his primary means of revenue. At the beginning of 2009, he needed $50,000. The only way he was able to obtain that capital was through Justin's tournament winnings and sponsorships.

It's gotta suck for Justin, since that's a lot of money evaporated into thin air. Moving to EG was a smart move (though he still needs to work a part-time job).

And Justin leaving, was the straw that broke the camel's back. First, Marn lured Justin away then Ricky O., Flash Metroid, Arturo Sanchez, Chris G. and a few others left.

I think if Triforce wants to make it, he should just become a business manager for gamers. Lose the cult-like atmosphere, etc. The model he has now seems to be based on utilizing your player's tournament winnings (which they rightfully won and should go to them) and hoping/praying that you can get some rinky dink sponsorships.

And lol @ Henry Cen with his comments at the end, basically stating the Empire in a nutshell.

Rocwell

Hey guys, I'm going to Seattle tonight for Salty Runback 7. It's gonna be my first tournament, I'm pretty excited! :D Buktooth and Jason Cole should be in attendance along with myself and some of the other local guys from Bellingham I've been playing with. Be sure to check out the stream tonight!

http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos

Yeah I watched King of Chinatown earlier and I think Gootecks was my favorite character. They made it seem like he saw through everything instantly and was the legitimate version of Triforce. Henry Cen was great, but he always has the best stuff to say no matter the occasion.

Edgeward

So brokentier has a new line today for pre-order

RPKOk.jpg

http://www.brokentier.com/

notworksafe

Nice shirts! I got the "Curly Mustache" Mahvel shirt from BT and it's really comfy. Probably will order that blue logo shirt.

BT guys also much better to deal with than the people at TTC. Very disappointed in those dudes.

EDIT: Dang, they only have the logo shirt in black! The promo shot makes it look blue.

Edgeward

Yes, BT makes american apparel shrits so they are quite comfy and nice to wear unlike the capcom 1942/cammy shirt I got from the capcom store for the same price. And Paul of BT is pretty good about replying to e-mails and was able to change my size order quickly when I ordered it in the wrong size.

Probably gonna get the logo one as well when available in blue, I kinda like the other shirt but I am not fond of it being so metal inspired.

And good luck, Roc. I'll try to remember to watch you blow people up with Mak/Fei

Edit - So Paul replied to my inquiry about the blue shirt

BROKENTIER - "the shirt is a dark heather black. The photography just makes it look a little blue tinted."

Rocwell said:
Hey guys, I'm going to Seattle tonight for Salty Runback 7. It's gonna be my first tournament, I'm pretty excited! :D Buktooth and Jason Cole should be in attendance along with myself and some of the other local guys from Bellingham I've been playing with. Be sure to check out the stream tonight!

What time the stream starts?

notworksafe

Edgeward said:
And Paul of BT is pretty good about replying to e-mails and was able to change my size order quickly when I ordered it in the wrong size.
Yeah, same thing happened to me and I got an email back right away. Def recommend BT for people that want game shirts.

Meanwhile still waiting a week for a reply from TTC about swapping my Tokido shirt because it bled all over itself in the wash and is now a weird pink. I didn't even know screenprints could bleed. :\

Rocwell said:

Good luck man! Wreck shop over there!

XenoRaven

I know it's advertising and I'm happy that they're able to do this stuff, but I would feel really stupid if I had to wear a shirt with me on it.

mr. puppy

Banned
Come on Balrog I'm not great at this game but you gotta have something to help me against the damn twins. maybe I should pick up a grappler for matches against them.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
jlai said:
If there's one thing I've learned watching Shiro, its that I'm not spamming full screen ex hayate enough. Except against Sim I guess, I find I use it a lot in that matchup.

In case anyone didn't catch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDCuQXT8lpk&feature=player_detailpage#t=491s

That was the match where Shiro's shenanigans should've cost him the match.

It's -4 so it's technically unsafe, but I'm usually not too scared to just throw it out there unless it's against a character that has a reversal faster than 4 frames, like Ken's HP DP. Against characters that just have 4-frame jabs, it's just as safe as Balrog's dash straight is against characters with 3-frame jabs. Especially if it's spaced well.

For a move as fast as it is, I think it's a little too safe. I don't think they should've made it an armor breaker.

jlai

Spiderjericho said:
I stink. Yo scrub PC GAF, if you want a punching bag, send an invite to krp1976.

The one thing I don't like about GFW is it mixes Live and GFW players so if I see AZ Greg, he might not necessarily be playing GFW.

There's an icon on the right side if you're viewing it in game which shows if they're on console or PC. Its too bad the friends list on the xbox website itself doesn't differentiate though :(

Satyamdas

Banned
So I just watched King of Chinatown too.

As someone on the outside looking in, Triforce has always come across to me as a guy with his heart in the right place and who is passionate about gaming, but who doesn't have anything even remotely resembling a business plan. And so the way things run in the Empire just come across as mad shady, and it's why dudes like Henry Cen troll so hard about the guys in the ARC living off Chef Boyardee and Spaghetti-Os, tourney winnings paying the rent, and "contracts" drawn up on napkins. It's why there are so many ex-members.

It's nice to have lofty goals, but the reality is that a business must either provide a service that it can charge for, or produce a product that it can sell. Empire Arcadia does neither, which is why the question "So what the fuck does Empire Arcadia actually *do*?" comes up so often. And it's why the answer is always a long, rambling statement from Triforce which leaves the person who asked the question even more confused than before.

From Empire Arcadia's website:

Empire Arcadia Inc. (The Empire) is a corporation forged from gamers to help develop and preserve the fundamentals, elements of the Greater Gaming Community and its culture. Empire Arcadia leads by example by providing information and performing the procedures and functions to the G.G.C. on how to express other way to enjoying videogames. The organization uses cultural elements such as Music, Fashion, Art, Media, Education, Competition and health to express video gaming in its other formats.

Empire Arcadia Inc. is a business that has successfully and feasibly merged the eccentricities and cultural elements of the gamer culture into the professional marketing system of the videogame industry. Using this formula has proved successful for Empire Arcadia Inc. and will be for you too.

Triforce always refers to the Empire as a "development company". OK, so what does it develop? It was founded in 2002, so that is coming up on 10 years now. It isn't unreasonable to expect to see some fruits of labor that this company has developed in all that time. If a few sponsorship deals with Evil Controllers and Jinx clothing are all that it has developed in 10 years, then by every metric the company is a failure.

Empire Arcadia Inc. creates venues that will draw hundreds to thousands of spectators to expose this love of videogames to the mainstream. Most importantly the procedures that we use enables us to make a difference in the videogame society as a whole from the home, to the arcades, right to the very developers and producers of the videogame industry that we love and play.

Every attempt to explain the Empire as an actual business is just an empty jumbling of words designed to resemble something tangible and useful, but when examined under scrutiny one finds there is nothing worthwhile actually being offered. "The procedures that we use enables us to make a difference in the videogame society as a whole". What procedures are these and what differences has Empire Arcadia made in the videogame society as a whole in the last 10 years?

The emptiness in all of those words is what makes the scene with Gootecks so poignant, since it crystallizes how all of Triforce's rhetoric comes across as so shady and meaningless. A normal person will say "Point to these differences you've made. Point to a source of revenue you have tapped. Point to something which will give me confidence to become a part of your organization." Unfortunately there is nothing there for him to point to except promises for the future.

But that's from a business perspective. As far as being a collective group of friends and a place to congregate and grind games out, it seems to have almost no peer. No one can deny that EMP dudes are fucking good. And when you hear EMP guys talk about Triforce like a father, as someone who looks out for them and really does have their best interest at heart, it's hard to hate him for that. There is something to be said for being a part of a group that has each other's backs like they do, and it seems like the guys in the Empire are a tight knit group.

I just get the feeling that if Triforce were managing sports players or actors or recording artists that he would be fucking godlike at it. It's just that the talent in the particular area he specializes in doesn't (yet) have the opportunity to make the big money that those other areas do, so his particular skill for managing or cultivating talent doesn't amount to anything tangible.

Of course this is all just observations from the outside. He could be 100 times more benevolent or shady than I could ever know. The power glove thing is lulz, changing his name legally to Triforce is kinda weird, the cultish aspects about the Empire are a little goofy, and getting trolled into sending pics of his junk is kind of worrying at least with respect to his decision making. But at the very least it makes him an interesting character in the fighting game community.

Also, I saw this on the Empire's website and kinda chuckled.

bhNZy.jpg

"Teaching gamers can even be one on one."

I bet it can, Triforce. ;)

=3

Saty you pretty much said everything I thought about it.

I think EMP is a just a really close group of friends who love to play together but more importantly formed strong friendships with each other. It's the reason the core group is still there.

Triforce is just a shady guy, he comes off that way to me, before I seen the movie I thought that and now I definitely think hes much more shady than what I thought after seeing the film.

Satyamdas

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Saty you pretty much said everything I thought about it.

I think EMP is a just a really close group of friends who love to play together but more importantly formed strong friendships with each other. It's the reason the core group is still there.

Triforce is just a shady guy, he comes off that way to me, before I seen the movie I thought that and now I definitely think hes much more shady than what I thought after seeing the film.
I feel like his shadiness is more the result of his dreams and visions being incompatible with the current reality of professional gaming. Professional gaming (especially fighting games) is still such a tiny, tiny, niche thing right now, and sponsorships and actual marketing opportunities that bring in real money so few and far between, that a person looking to be an agent or manager to a stable of players just has no means to put that desire into action.

I don't get the feeling that he started the Empire in order to scam players and be a shady guy doing shady dealings. It's just that the reality of the situation is that there is no juice to be squeezed by having a collective of top players under his wing (except for tourney winnings and the rare sponsorship thing). So the result is that he looks like someone trying to take advantage of players and comes across as shady (and the editing in King of Chinatown did everything to maximize that perception), but my belief is that he just came along too early. It may be that in X years there will be the type of professional organizations that bring in the big money which would make his services necessary. Or perhaps that will never happen and sponsorships and marketing for fighting game players will remain very small scale and niche. Who knows. But deep down I really think he is genuine and if provided with the opportunity to help he and his players make money and help the scene as a whole grow, that he would be a tremendous asset. As it is where no one is making big bank off Street Fighter, he comes across as superfluous and looks like a scam artist. I really feel for the guy in that respect, because you can tell he cares a lot about gaming.

I remember a loooong ass time ago, maybe last year? Sp00ky went and streamed from the ARC one night. After a ton of SF4, at like 3am EST, Triforce just went bananas on the stream. Dude ran though like 12 games in a row all the way until like 11am. Contra III on no continues, Ghosts n Goblins on no continues, Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!, SMB 1, 2, & 3, and a ton of other games. Dude was just godlike with it. Now being godlike at games and loving to play them doesn't mean you are automatically not shady, but there is no doubt he is super passionate about them and just hasn't figured out how to turn that passion into a business or a way to make money. And since rent has to be paid regardless, some of his actions to get that money come across as shady or uncool or what have you. I can't comment on that because I don't know particulars and it isn't my business anyway.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A person will fail if he thinks he is greater than the system.

People like Marky and Gootecks embraces it and goes beyond their duty, making lots of self sacrifices along the way. Look at how much progress they have made.
There is a difference between fantasy and reality. In order for your fantasy to become true you have to accept reality.

It doesn't help that Triforce talks and writes like he's the founder of TimeCube.com.

Ultimoo said:
Gootecks talks and acts so much different in that movie though, it's so weird and off-putting.

That was back when he was winning more often.

Satyamdas

Banned
God's Beard said:
It doesn't help that Triforce talks and writes like he's the founder of TimeCube.com.

That was back when he was winning more often.
Was that before or after he got bopped by Justin 5-0 in the Rog mirror? Gootecks was never a factor as far as being a player, but from the beginning he was all about promoting and hustling SF as a social thing, and it's good to see how far he's come in the few years since Vanilla came out.

Kadey said:
A person will fail if he thinks he is greater than the system.

People like Marky and Gootecks embraces it and goes beyond their duty, making lots of self sacrifices along the way. Look at how much progress they have made.
There is a difference between fantasy and reality. In order for your fantasy to become true you have to accept reality.
And I think Triforce understands that, and that is why we see him grinding a shitty retail job at the end of the documentary. Nobody wants to do that kind of work, but bills need to be paid and Triforce is willing to get his hands dirty and earn a paycheck the hard way if he has to. If he refused to get a 9 to 5 and didn't accept reality I would have a completely different opinion of him.

Seriously, I do think that's one reason he's calmed down so much. I mean, he's still hustling harder than anybody, but when was the last time he threw a tournament? He used to have godlike commercials, he did commentary on G4, he used to be fucking everywhere. Maybe he makes enough money with 4 sponsors that he doesn't need to work as hard, but I do miss the vanilla hype a bit. His last stand out performance really was Canada Cup last year, and other than the Pork Chop thing I can think of another time he reverted back.

Satyamdas said:
Was that before or after he got bopped by Justin 5-0 in the Rog mirror? Gootecks was never a factor as far as being a player, but from the beginning he was all about promoting and hustling SF as a social thing, and it's good to see how far he's come in the few years since Vanilla came out.

What about the tournament where he got second to Justin? Sure he wasn't winning majors or anything, but "never a factor" is a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom