• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yo, since everyone that went to Evo got a free copy of AE for PC, if someone who went already has it for PC and gives me their copy, I'll be their best friend for life <3

il4MUA.jpg

lol

Lost Fragment said:
Yo, since everyone that went to Evo got a free copy of AE for PC, if someone who went already has it for PC and gives me their copy, I'll be their best friend for life <3

Ditto!

I'd be willing to buy it off you as well...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I can at least name one person happy with the upcoming patch.

It doesn't matter to me either way. But I'm all about getting every character to be as even as possible so there's less whining about running into certain matchups.

JTV sent me a where the hell are you email. My stream will be upgraded in two weeks time. Can't wait.

Threi

notag
In terms of balancing...people always focus on the top half of the roster being balanced and always completely ignore the bottom half...having a char that's F tier, far below everyone else is just as bad as having a char that's S tier, far above everyone else. Yes Super was relatively balanced, but don't act like it was the pinnacle of game balancing or anything, its just that the upper half was balanced, that's all. The lower characters still had terrible matchups to deal with. Problem is, there are a million voices there to change the char that hard to deal with at the top (or the 3rd strike char who has a couple weaknesses that are UNACCEPTABLE), but no voices for the person who uses the underutilized char, so they just get repeatedly glossed over.

I say stop focusing on bringing Yun down, and focus on bringing Hakan up.

ShaneB

Lost Fragment said:

Put me in this same category! I'll pay a bit as well! Your kindness would be much appreciated :)

Xiaoki

Threi said:
In terms of balancing...people always focus on the top half of the roster being balanced and always completely ignore the bottom half...having a char that's F tier, far below everyone else is just as bad as having a char that's S tier, far above everyone else. Yes Super was relatively balanced, but don't act like it was the pinnacle of game balancing or anything, its just that the upper half was balanced, that's all. The lower characters still had terrible matchups to deal with. Problem is, there are a million voices there to change the char that hard to deal with at the top (or the 3rd strike char who has a couple weaknesses that are UNACCEPTABLE), but no voices for the person who uses the underutilized char, so they just get repeatedly glossed over.

100% agree

Unfortunately, I dont see it happening.

Also, I expect over nerfs. As been joked about before Makoto will probably go back down to low tier.

Threi said:

Wow, you deserve a medal.

Threi said:

Cause Capcom is likely to take the lazy way out, far easier to nerf the top than to buff everyone else.

I wish it were otherwise though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Diprosalic said:
PC version buy or no buy? especially for europe online action.

Buy and play with me/us, we are only a handful of euro-pc players.

Threi said:
I say stop focusing on bringing Yun down, and focus on bringing Blanka up.

Amen brother....*wipes tear* amen.

Corky

Hey look at me I can't delete this.

edit : so let me put the real estate to good use .

Morrigan_TheZe_Cosplay.jpg

Corky

Diprosalic said:
overall or on GAF? how's online?
you probably kick my ass

Oh there's plenty of people playing overall, I meant gaf. Nah man I'm low-mid tier.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
stabicron7 said:
Cause Capcom is likely to take the lazy way out, far easier to nerf the top than to buff everyone else.

I wish it were otherwise though.
This is one of the big drawbacks to having such a huge cast in a Street Fighter game and why I hope SFV tops out at 15-20 characters. Odds are that a change to address one bad match-up is going to change several other match-ups along with it. There are just too many moving pieces.

If Capcom knows how to make this game all 5-5 match-ups and give us 39 fun characters, fantastic. Reality is that the more changes they make, the more likely we are to see unintended consequences. Sure, I'd love it if every character felt as good as AE Yun, but I don't think that's realistic. If the patch could give us 10-15 tournament-viable characters who are all roughly as good as each other, then I think sacrificing the rest of the cast is worth it at this point.

This patch is for the hardcore because we're the only people left. Capcom has made all of the money they're going to make off the casuals already, so I sincerely hope that Capcom tunes the game with the tournament scene as the priority. I loved that Dhalsim and Rufus were both winning tournaments in SSFIV and want to see that sort of balance back. I want offense and defense to be equally good. I hope this is a light touch to smooth out the edges and that no new characters are added.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just came back from a AE session! Got to the finals and lost against a balrog player (3-0) against Yun.

What do I do against boxer :(?

SamVimes

All 5-5 matchups all across the board? Fuck that.
I like that every character (well, almost) has a weakness and bad matchups, i loved how in super you could destroy Sim with Abel and then get mauled by Gief, Akuma and Cammy. Learn to work around your character's weakness, i prefer a really diverse cast (in which at least a character per archetype is tournament viable) than a really balanced one.

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Just came back from a AE session! Got to the finals and lost against a balrog player (3-0) against Yun.

What do I do against boxer :(?

As Yun? Roll your face across the stick harder!

SamVimes

And i forgot (it's probably not gonna happen), fix the hitboxes! Randomly some stuff, even bnbs, just doesn't work against character such as El Fuerte and Blanka.

SamVimes said:
And i forgot (it's probably not gonna happen), fix the hitboxes! Randomly some stuff, even bnbs, just doesn't work against character such as El Fuerte and Blanka.
One of Ibuki's TCs whiffs completely on Blanka. smh

SamVimes

Fuck Gen u2, i can't believe he gets rewarded because i anti-aired him correctly, it's even more bullshit if you think about Gen's jump arc.

yeah, i'm salty

Imm0rt4l

SamVimes said:
Fuck Gen u2, i can't believe he gets rewarded because i anti-aired him correctly, it's even more bullshit if you think about Gen's jump arc.

yeah, i'm salty
plus it's an overhead.

Yellowcorn

Neo Member
USD said:
Yeah, you know it's coming.

Also, Viper is virtually the same from Super to AE. She's probably gonna get the stick too.

The thing about Viper... there are like 4 people in North America and a few more in japan who can do what makes her good, the barrier for entry is SOOO high... how do you nerf her without making her utterly AWFUL at a level of play anywhere beneath top? :p

I mean, you balance for the top... but I just have no idea what they could do that won't make average Joe Viper weep.

Ultra damage reduction I guess...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hah.

Like I said.

The EVO thread, best GAF thread this year.

Daigo wouldn't win EVO. I knew he was going to get blown up because his Yun really isn't far superior to the rest of Japans. Viper does huge damage and that Ultra is very good. Yun's health is his greatest weakness and it was exposed in top 8. I have a lot more respect for Latiff for running through three big names. He took the best Viper crown from Wolfy in my opinion.

I should be sleeping but damn, I'm all hype. Both Marvel and AE were hype.

Fighting GAF. We'll continue to blow up the community. &#9829;

USD

Yellowcorn said:
That's the first thing I thought of.

Personally, I think Viper is fine.

And I'll say that I think Fei Long will still be top in the next revision. Unless Capcom just cuts him to pieces, his tools will still be as good as ever.

Edgeward

Rocwell said:
I just made an order on Broken Tier for EVO and they gave me a referral link for a 15% discount, you can also use the EVO2k11 coupon code and save another 10%. I think... not actually 100% sure on this.
Link here: http://www.curebit.com/o/d/5ZRRc

This stacked with the GODKILLER 20% off code.

GOGOGOGO

I knew waiting on buying the shirts would pay off.

Imm0rt4l

Yellowcorn said:
The thing about Viper... there are like 4 people in North America and a few more in japan who can do what makes her good, the barrier for entry is SOOO high... how do you nerf her without making her utterly AWFUL at a level of play anywhere beneath top? :p

I mean, you balance for the top... but I just have no idea what they could do that won't make average Joe Viper weep.

That's the major dilemma, but she is really strong.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Great stream, great experience. Hopefully I'll be able to make it next year.

_dementia said:
Top 3 @ Evo: Viper Seth Fei

No twins.

How many of the characters in top 8 do well against the twins, though? The number of twins in top whatever isn't the only thing that's telling. Most of the characters that made top 8 do well against the twins, except maybe Seth and Akuma. Don't know how how those matches go exactly. Tokido looked pretty free to Daigo, but I don't know enough about the match to say it wasn't just Daigo being beastly. Or Poongko being Poongko when he murdered Daigo.

Yellowcorn said:

The things I talked about earlier in the thread--reducing frame advantage from her burning kicks and reducing her damage a tad--wouldn't hurt her that much. I don't think. But beyond those things, I don't know how you could change her much without possibly fucking her over too much. She's just one of those characters that if you change something even slightly, it might really weaken her.

They could pull a Cammy on her and improve her normals but weaken her mixups, but I don't think they're gonna do that. I dunno, though. I don't see her making it through the patch unscathed. She's gonna be top 3 when the current s-tier gets nerfed. Viper in top 3 isn't near as bad as the twins in top 3 though.

Man, what a good EVO. Top quality play as always, and I couldn't have asked for anything better than the Poongko versus Daigo match. Poongko's showmanship is gdlk.

Satyamdas

Banned
Latif made it to Grand Finals in EVO while constantly spamming EX Seismos every time he was under pressure, spamming Burn Kicks, and spamming her HP Thunder knuckle. Anyone who has seen him play before knows that is how he has always played. And basically all he did was prove to me that the herp derp of a character can carry you a looooooooooooong way. Why did Fuudo win? Because he played fucking BRILLIANTLY. Super smart positioning and great defense. Isn't it interesting that a player can just autopilot a bunch of dumb shit with Viper and go far, but in order to beat that Viper a player must play like a goddamn genius? I don't give a fuck about her execution, that shit can be learned by anyone who puts in the time. She is still an autopilot derpfest of stupidity and Capcom fucked up by including her stupid ass in SF4. That ninja/clown hybrid concept character that didn't make the cut should have been in instead of her.

How to nerf Viper? Easy. Damage and stun need to be reduced, big time. Burn Kicks need to be less safe. Also, being able to do a jump in attack and then do a crossup Burn Kick instead of land is just absolutely retarded. Get rid of that dumb shit, plz. Of course, none of this will happen and I bet she is untouched in the balance patch except for maybe an U1 damage nerf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom