• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satyamdas

Banned
There is absolutely no way we get SFV in 2013. That is the year we get Darkstalkers 4, bitches!

And SFxT will probably be pretty popular, but I do not see it outdrawing a mainline SF game at EVO. It will knock off BlazBlue, Tekken, or MK.

cackhyena said:
Wonder if 3S makes a come back with Online Edition.
I doubt it, honestly. OE will definitely renew interest, but if you think people hate AE's balance, what hope does 3S have to build an audience?

alstein

cackhyena said:
Wonder if 3S makes a come back with Online Edition.

People will give up on the game when they find that Yun/Chun are worse then Yun/Fei in AE.
Only thing that would have caused real interest outside of the folks who played it before would have been a rebalance, and the reaction by old-timers in HDR probably spooked Capcom, which is a shame, since the port seems nice.

I don't think 3S will make it as a competitive game past FR outside of people who already play it.

SF4 will be in next year, as well SF vs Tekken and Marvel. I suspect the remaining games will be KOF, Skullgirls, and SC, causing some community drama from Tekken/BB folks.

_dementia said:
I doubt it, honestly. OE will definitely renew interest, but if you think people hate AE's balance, what hope does 3S have to build an audience?

plus the game has stricter inputs and not as lenient as SFIV, I think people will get quickly turned off by this game. Fighting game novices who couldn't cut it with SFIV and are hoping that 3rd strike will be their savior will probably in for a rude awakening, esp. when they play people online who have been into this game for years.

add to the fact that Japan is light-years ahead of the US in terms of skill in that game.....so it will be a pretty boring as far as Evo is concerned, imo

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
alstein said:
SF4 will be in next year, as well SF vs Tekken and Marvel. I suspect the remaining games will be KOF, Skullgirls, and SC, causing some community drama from Tekken/BB folks.
I think it will be BBCS2 over KOF.

TomServo

As a casual player (~900 matches, usual ~1000 PP) what I noticed about the final 8 was how many moves were safe on block.

Was this because of the character / attack, because these guys understand spacing and frame data perfectly, or both?

For example, I play Cammy and I've gotten to the point where I rarely spiral arrow without hit confirming c.MK first. Seems like from any distance that move gets me punished on block. It seemed like the Yuns and Feis were just lunge punching / rekka with abandon.

ShaneB

Given the immensity of this years EVO and how smooth it went with 2 streams, is it not feasible to expect more than the "standard" 5 games? Or at least, it seems within the realms of possibility.

AE:BE (is this the new acronym?) will be there, for sure. UMvC3 is a lock of course, SFxT will be released q1/q2 next year I'd imagine, so that's there most likely. MK I have no idea what to predict. It's not like BB and Tekken had weak showings, and had great numbers for viewers, so even those could be back in some form, and all the new games coming are likable candidates.

BotoxAgent said:
plus the game has stricter inputs and not as lenient as SFIV, I think people will get quickly turned off by this game. Fighting game novices who couldn't cut it with SFIV and are hoping that 3rd strike will be their savior will probably in for a rude awakening, esp. when they play people online who have been into this game for years.

add to the fact that Japan is light-years ahead of the US in terms of skill in that game.....so it will be a pretty boring as far as Evo is concerned, imo
There is so much to learn in third strike, but yea I agree so many people will quit it, just based off not being able to focus out of dumb mistakes. I cant wait for it, so many memories from that game.

ShaneB said:
Given the immensity of this years EVO and how smooth it went with 2 streams, is it not feasible to expect more than the "standard" 5 games? Or at least, it seems within the realms of possibility.

AE:BE (is this the new acronym?) will be there, for sure. UMvC3 is a lock of course, SFxT will be released early next year I'd imagine, so that's there. MK I have no idea what to predict. It's not like BB and Tekken had weak showings, and had great numbers for viewers, so even those could be back in some form, and all the new games coming are likable candidates.

The Bunkei podcast I linked to earlier in this thread was talking about this. They were talking about how becoming a week long convention may be the next step for Evo, since you have all these panels & new games....and there's the possibility for player workshops.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Satyamdas said:
Nah I'm past being salty about Viper. I was salty during Vanilla.
Same here. I've accepted Dhalsim's bad matchups as a fact of life. Fuck it, though. Power though that shit yeeeaaahhh!

I hope EVO can go more than 5 games. Like in 2004-05, they held some of the Finals on the Saturday night, like ST and VF4.

Maybe if next year is:

For Sunday Finals:

AE-2012
SFxTekken
SC5
UMVC3
KOF13
MK
TTT2 (if it's out in time)

For Saturday Finals:
BB
Skullgirls
3rd Strike OE
Or put KOF13 here if TTT2 is out

Scale would have to be way bigger though, with more systems and what not.

I too think 3rd strike OE will not be super big like SF4, mostly because of balance. People have been playing this game for 10 years. Who knows though. I love 3rd strike though, so we shall see.

Here's my present for Satyamdas: Fourth-row shots of Lafreef in action.

1iObG.jpg

uhDcF.jpg

kitzkozan

Best EVO 2011 moments to search over the net/youtube for those who missed most of the spectacle imo:

• Aris and Kayo Police at the commentators booth during T6 pools.
  • Noah (8-9 years old kid) exposing scrubs and fools in MvC3 pools.
  • Dr. Ray wacky comeback with Deadpool against Mike Ross in MvC3 pools (was sick in so many ways) .
  • Justin Wong monster comeback against Nguyen in MvC3 top 32.
  • Shiro doing a yomi ultra on Xian (I think?) in SFIV AE top 32.
  • Alex Valle with another gutsy performance against Daigo's Yun in SFIV AE top 32. :)
  • PR Balrog resetting the bracket with a magical Tron against Viscant in MvC3 final.
  • Daigo vs Poongko in AE top 8...
  • Blazblue final 4 was quite nice as well, with Spark going on an epic streak of psychic blocking.

next year will be SFxT, SSF4:2012E, UMVC3, TTT2, 3SO, and a tossup between skullgirls, KOF13 or SC5

anyways......

good stuff to gaf that repped evo....

working on getting Crossroads 2 going here in cencal two 64 man tournaments MVC3 and AE

last time we had an awesome turnout and the main prize was huge. Fchamp took home like 3 grand.

shoutouts to chow, samurai, cynistar, blahguy and tawnberry for reppin cencal hard at evo too.....see y'all soon!

TomServo said:
As a casual player (~900 matches, usual ~1000 PP) what I noticed about the final 8 was how many moves were safe on block.

Was this because of the character / attack, because these guys understand spacing and frame data perfectly, or both?

For example, I play Cammy and I've gotten to the point where I rarely spiral arrow without hit confirming c.MK first. Seems like from any distance that move gets me punished on block. It seemed like the Yuns and Feis were just lunge punching / rekka with abandon.
IIRC Fei's EX Rekka is safe for the first 2 hits, and the non-EX is safe at the right distance. Yun's EX lunge punch puts him at frame advantage on block.

I'm watching the Redemption Suite replay. People are bitching that top tier won all the tourney first places at EVO (cept BB), and that is why new games suck.

I don't get this mentality. Top tier has been winning tournies forever. Whenever I look at old 3rd strike results, all top tier for the most part. MVC2 results, all top tier. Alpha 3, top tier. People always use top tier to win. Did old games suck because peopel where using top tier?

alstein

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I'm watching the Redemption Suite replay. People are bitching that top tier won all the tourney first places at EVO (cept BB), and that is why new games suck.

I don't get this mentality. Top tier has been winning tournies forever. Whenever I look at old 3rd strike results, all top tier for the most part. MVC2 results, all top tier. Alpha 3, top tier. People always use top tier to win. Did old games suck because peopel where using top tier?

Actually they did, we just didn't know better.

People are always going to run to top tiers, it's just that the better-designed games these days do a much better job of compressing tiers then what they did back in the nostalgia days. Sometimes it also takes time to get it right- BBCT was broke, and BBCS had problems, but BBCS2 is much better balance-wise.

I think people are complaining more because AE was a downgrade in terms of balance, and many folks aren't happy about that, so that hate is coming out in terms of bitching about top tiers. With the modern era of patching and DD updates, there is less tolerance for imbalance these days, and rightfully so.

kitzkozan said:
Best EVO 2011 moments to search over the net/youtube for those who missed most of the spectacle imo:

• Dr. Ray wacky comeback with Deadpool against Mike Ross in MvC3 pools (was sick in so many ways) .
  • Alex Valle with another gutsy performance against Daigo's Yun in SFIV AE top 32. :)
  • PR Balrog resetting the bracket with a magical Tron against Viscant in MvC3 final.
  • Blazblue final 4 was quite nice as well, with Spark going on an epic streak of psychic blocking.

Any links to this stuff (you or anyone else) or any other hype matches from top 32 AE or MVC3? I caught MVC3 and AE finals, but not much else due to a busy weekend.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's strange, really. Before SF4 came out, I considered 3rd Strike to be my definitive SF game and one of my favorite games of all time. After playing SSF4 for the past year and some months; I couldn't care less about 3S. It's definitely not because I think SSF4 is better, gameplay-wise. I consider 3S a game from the future compared to SSF4. The game just feels old and completely tapped. I have no desire to play the game anymore. I think others feel the same, as there's little hype (as demonstrated by the stage exhibition @ Evo).

The gameplay itself is great, and stands the test of time, but it just feels pointless playing it at this point. Especially with the tiers so defined. I'll still get the game day-one to support Capcom's decision to re-release the game (So we get more stuff like this), but I doubt I play it much.

Maybe that'll change once I play the game online though.

cackhyena

Kimosabae said:
It's strange, really. Before SF4 came out, I considered 3rd Strike to be my definitive SF game and one of my favorite games of all time. After playing SSF4 for the past year and some months; I couldn't care less about 3S. It's definitely not because I think SSF4 is better, gameplay-wise. I consider 3S a game from the future compared to SSF4. The game just feels old and completely tapped. I have no desire to play the game anymore. Due to this, there's little hype (as demonstrated by the stage exhibition @ Evo).
I don't get that. I can't picture a future SF without some sort of Focus Attack now in future iterations. I guess that's why I don't make games, though.

cackhyena said:
I don't get that. I can't picture a future SF without some sort of Focus Attack now in future iterations. I guess that's why I don't make games, though.
Yeah, the FADC mechanic is some straight anime game ish. It's kind of like a Roman Cancel that you can hit someone with if you so choose.

Hex

Banned
kitzkozan said:

You forgot the Tron comback in the top 8 of Marvel

Satyamdas

Banned
kitzkozan said:

[*]PR Balrog resetting the bracket with a magical Tron against Viscant in MvC3 final.
Hex said:
You forgot the Tron comback in the top 8 of Marvel
No he didn't. :p

kiryogi

Banned
3SO? No way, definitely side tourney. On that note, apparently Fuudo's win is even more amazing than we thought.

"crosscounter asia posted a vid of interview w/ him, before top 8, evo had mad lag, unbearable lag"

Zhi keeps trying to blame the lag on PS3, but Fuudo said it's definitely not the PS3, because he's got a CRT in his room and there was no lag on that

He said the lag was also inconsistent on different stations and he thinks maybe is because of so many cables that were set up differently trying to capture the footage

The real reason Fuudo said he didn't want to go to losers is because lag was the worst on the losers setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u_DemfpM0Q

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Stayed up till 2 AM just to watch it all. Got like 2 hours of sleep. Good stuff.

It can never be overstated but thanks to all the guys for making EVO happen. TS, IPW, SRK, etc. Every single moment I managed to catch was entertaining. I'm more happy with how big fighting games are becoming again.

BotoxAgent said:
god, watching that final match again. Fuudo really made Latif look really helpless. He almost had complete control of the match.
You could see it in Latif that he was up against the wall and didn't know where to go.

Hex

Banned
biosnake20 said:
All that lag talk is pretty crazy, you would think there would be more complaining about it though.

Has anyone else spoken about it?

You would think if there was lag it would have been mentioned long before the finals if it was the PS3.
I wonder if they were using any new equipment to feed the screens?
Oh LCD lag, ouch

Hex

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
god, watching that final match again. Fuudo really made Latif look really helpless. He almost had complete control of the match.

Yeah you can literally see the moment when he finished reading Latif, Latif just could not adapt.

_dementia said:
Shame about the lag. CRTs would be ideal I think, but good luck having a sponsor donate enough of them.
I don't even think it's the LCDs, as the Asus monitors they've been using have been tested through and through and they're pretty awesome in regards to lag. I think it's like he theorized and the cable/recording setup are to blame.

kiryogi

Banned
Re: Latif being helpless vs Fuudo

Apparently Latif was dead on arrival regardless. Fuudo trained with Mago on all the Viper tricks. Which is funny considering Mago's performance, but supposedly Mago didn't care about Evo and only wanted to hang out with his friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom