• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

Hitokage said:
Playing AI isn't important at all. You're not playing the same game as you should with a human opponent and it teaches you the wrong way to approach matches.

yup. it's generally a bad thing to play vs AI.. at least, with SF games

My friend talked to guys at the old Gameworks in Easton Mall in Columbus (operating under a new name and management since last spring) about getting AE since they have vanilla machines still. They said they'd definitely consider it and I hope they do. I'm pretty sure that players in the surrounding midwest area would make the trek at least once to play. Not to mention all the communities we have in Ohio would come as well.

zlatko

Banned
Daigo's Yun is very on point. I'd like to see more footage of it though just to see the difference between him and Marn. Right now I think the best Yun I've gotten to see a lot of footage of is Marn for sure. Jwong's Yang also got really good the last time I saw videos of it.

I can't wait for the first big AE tournament that Daigo attends. :D

zlatko said:
Daigo's Yun is very on point. I'd like to see more footage of it though just to see the difference between him and Marn. Right now I think the best Yun I've gotten to see a lot of footage of is Marn for sure. Jwong's Yang also got really good the last time I saw videos of it.

I can't wait for the first big AE tournament that Daigo attends. :D

His Yun might seem better because of the quality of players he's playing. Daigo's Yun went against every top player in Japan minus Momochi and came out the victor in every one except for the Mago 5-5 tie.

zlatko

Banned
KS Seven X said:
His Yun might seem better because of the quality of players he's playing. Daigo's Yun went against every top player in Japan minus Momochi and came out the victor in every one except for the Mago 5-5 tie.

That's an excellent point I forgot to think about. I hope we see more footage soon this one video is a tease of awesome. :D

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
zlatko said:
I felt Abel shined in Super way past Makoto. AE though should be 5-5.

I think you misunderstand the question. Unless you're saying that characters that are higher tier always beat characters that are much lower on the list, in which case you misunderstand how tier lists work.

Makoto and Abel are pretty much the same character, but Makoto's so much lower than Abel because she doesn't have the mobility and ways around fireballs that Abel does. These things aren't incredibly relevant when she's fighting Abel. Her lack of decent GTFO moves is relevant since Abel's a mixup character that can be very dangerous once he gets going, but turn the situation around and Abel has the same problem in this match.

---

edit: Speaking of tier lists, just peeped this at SRK. Not sure how seriously this should be taken though since it's just from a JP message board.

edit 2: Oh it's based on BP hurrr. I should probably read stuff more carefully before posting it.

S  Yun

AAA Dictator、Ken、Sagat、Feilong
AA  Viper、Akuma
A  Abel、Blanka、Ryu

BBB Makoto、Boxer、Rufus、Cody、Ibuki
BB  Sakura、Zangi、Guile、Chunli
B  Dhalsim、Yang、Cammy、Claw、Juri、Adon

CCC Honda、Thawk、Dudley
CC Guy、Rose、DJ
C El Fuerte、Seth

D  Gen、Gouken
E  Hakan、Dan

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/game/51604/1294264689/

Pepto

Banned
So I picked up Dhalsim after playing only with T.Hawk and proceeded to lose half of my pp. Now I'm starting to win again.

Actually Dhalsim is a pretty fun character to play as. Maybe it's because there doesn't seem to be any machups that are as bad for Dhalsim as Blanka and Honda seem be for my T.Hawk. :D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Lost Fragment said:
Makoto and Abel are pretty much the same character.]

I told my friend this a while back, but i think thats why i gravitated towards Abel in Vanilla. Its the case in most fighting games i play

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Pepto said:
So I picked up Dhalsim after playing only with T.Hawk and proceeded to lose half of my pp. Now I'm starting to win again.

Actually Dhalsim is a pretty fun character to play as. Maybe it's because there doesn't seem to be any machups that are as bad for Dhalsim as Blanka and Honda seem be for my T.Hawk. :D

I've been playing Dhalsim lately too. I think I'm having so much fun with him because I like to troll people.

LakeEarth

Lost Fragment said:
Makoto and Abel are pretty much the same character, but Makoto's so much lower than Abel because she doesn't have the mobility and ways around fireballs that Abel does. These things aren't incredibly relevant when she's fighting Abel. Her lack of decent GTFO moves is relevant since Abel's a mixup character that can be very dangerous once he gets going, but turn the situation around and Abel has the same problem in this match.
Well Abel GTFO move is EX tornado throw, but its crazy risky because of its long recovery and it is beaten by throws. He also has EX roll, but that also gets beat by throws. Makoto really doesn't have anything. EX karakusa maybe?

Makoto does have some advantages though, she stuns better, can redirect in the air, and I think her overhead is better.

Lost Fragment said:
edit: Speaking of tier lists, just peeped this at SRK. Not sure how seriously this should be taken though since it's just from a JP message board.

edit 2: Oh it's based on BP hurrr. I should probably read stuff more carefully before posting it.

S  Yun

AA  Viper、Akuma
A  Abel、Blanka、Ryu

CCC Honda、Thawk、Dudley
CC Guy、Rose、DJ
C El Fuerte、Seth

D  Gen、Gouken
E  Hakan、Dan

To put it in perspective, I think there are like 4-5 yun players in the top 10 BP scores.

Pepto said:

Glad to see you enjoying. But just know there are other matchups that'll make you want to punch the elderly.

Lost Fragment said:
I've been playing Dhalsim lately too. I think I'm having so much fun with him because I like to troll people.

Funny, because I've been dabbling with Makoto on the side :lol

I was watching a montage of Daigo on Nico in search of his yun the other day, and I noticed that he played Tomo before and it shows him beating him.

Maybe it's a different tomo though.

"I was watching a montage of Daigo on Nico in search of his yun the other day, and I noticed that he played Tomo before and it shows him beating him.

Maybe it's a different tomo though."

IIRC, he stopped playing well before anyone in the US had even heard of Daigo.

LakeEarth said:
Well Abel GTFO move is EX tornado throw, but its crazy risky because of its long recovery and it is beaten by throws. He also has EX roll, but that also gets beat by throws. Makoto really doesn't have anything. EX karakusa maybe?

Makoto does have some advantages though, she stuns better, can redirect in the air, and I think her overhead is better.

I'd argue that only the ex-orochi is better than Abel's cl.hk overhead, Abel has more health, a higher damage output, and more ambiguous mix-ups which I'm inclined to say would give him an advantage in this kind of match.

I don't really have any match-up experience against good though so I can't argue the finger points. I'd be interested to know if her back-dash/teleport beats his sweep or dash lp tornado throw option selects. I'd also wager that she has much better footsies (at least in regards to priority) with the threat of having to hover as step-kick range.

Teknopathetic said:
"I was watching a montage of Daigo on Nico in search of his yun the other day, and I noticed that he played Tomo before and it shows him beating him.

Maybe it's a different tomo though."

IIRC, he stopped playing well before anyone in the US had even heard of Daigo.
That, and well, that Tomo lives in the US!

-PXG-

Teknopathetic said:
"45,000 BP? Get the fuck outta here."

BP is gained at a totally different rate in Arcade compared to the home editions.

I assumed that was the case. But still. Oh, and this...

spiderman112004 said:
yun+daigo equals 1 billion more scrubby yuns

:lol

Well I won't be one of them.

Yun being S... does that mean he doesn't have disadvantageous match-ups? Sagat was S and all his match-ups were advantageous or even (lol mirror matches)
I thought Boxer was supposed to be a twin counterpick

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
LakeEarth said:

Tsuguri limits Abel's options on wakeup to block or roll, and she recovers sooner than he will from roll so she can keep in his face. Karakusa beats block and roll, and she can option select roll with ex karakusa too.

entremet

Crazy how quickly Daigo picked up Yun. I know he's one of the best in the world, but damn.

Count me in the group that will miss Daigo's Ryu. The character and player seemed perfectly matched.

Conceited said:
Anybody know who Michael Tan is? He's #3 behind Daigo and Mago in BP, plays Ken too.

I've been wondering the same thing. He sounds like a Vietnamese-American(or some other Western country) who has been living in Japan. Would be nice to know if one of our own was over there kicking ass.

entrement said:
Crazy how quickly Daigo picked up Yun. I know he's one of the best in the world, but damn.

He isn't doing anything vastly different than the other Yun players we've seen, but it's obvious that his fundamentals are much much better.

His reaction time versus that Sagat was on point, and he's still got the umeshoryu.

entrement said:

Count me in the group that will miss Daigo's Ryu. The character and player seemed perfectly matched.
I believe he'll still play Ryu in Super (console) tournaments.

BitchTits

I've never been able to get to grips with Yun's playstyle, so I always gravitated more towards Yang since he has a more "traditional" game style for me. Wish I could get a handle on Yun because I love flashy fighters, but it just isn't meant to be.

54-46!

So now that Makoto is good again I might actually be able to play this game at a semi-not-really-but-still-scrub level and not at the rock bottom..

How is SSF4 online on 360? I remember being very frustrated with all the "connection timeout" bullshit that was going on the PS3, I also only got like three games every time I refreshed the open games list or whatever.

N4Us

KS Seven X said:
I was watching a montage of Daigo on Nico in search of his yun the other day, and I noticed that he played Tomo before and it shows him beating him.

Maybe it's a different tomo though.

There's another Japanese ST player named Tomo.

Imm0rt4l

BotoxAgent said:
Tokido was right, I could definitely see daigo eating a wake up ultra once in a while given how aggressive he is. But holy shit.

I wonder why Japan thinks Yun is better than Yang and it's backwards in the US.

Lost Fragment said:
I think you misunderstand the question. Unless you're saying that characters that are higher tier always beat characters that are much lower on the list, in which case you misunderstand how tier lists work.

---

S  Yun

AA  Viper、Akuma
A  Abel、Blanka、Ryu

CCC Honda、Thawk、Dudley
CC Guy、Rose、DJ
C El Fuerte、Seth

D  Gen、Gouken
E  Hakan、Dan

still no love for new and improved Gouken or Gen for for that matter. I haven't seen any bullcat or desora AE matches in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom