• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
thanks, I guess those are the most logically way of mapping them out

but pianoing and plinking must feel really or awkward then (or they don't do it at all?)
You can't really piano. You have to slide. So for HK xx HK Legs would be hit the shoulder button for HK, slide your thumb across the two face "kick" face buttons, then tap the shoulder button again.

Plink would have to be done in a similar manner with the slide technique for MP or MK, and you'd just have to hit the shoulder button and a face button really quick for HP or HK.

XenoRaven said:
You can't really piano. You have to slide. So for HK xx HK Legs would be hit the shoulder button for HK, slide your thumb across the two face "kick" face buttons, then tap the shoulder button again.

Plink would have to be done in a similar manner with the slide technique for MP or MK, and you'd just have to hit the shoulder button and a face button really quick for HP or HK.

oh man, it means I would have to go back into training mode and relearn the game. Play the 3DS for a couple of hours...hop on to the Xbox...then proceed to get raped even more since I have readjust to the stick. Argh!

or maybe I should not use my usual mains and pick a character more pad friendly (don't know who would that be yet)

Why not? 6 buttons. Is there something wrong? Only difference I see between ABXY and Left Right Up Down is that one set are separate buttons and the other set are joined. They are all inputs at the end of the day.

If it makes you feel better, we can make C and Z HP and HK.

To be clear, I'm talking about the stick on the Nunchuck.

Threi

notag
or you could just use the classic controller, which funnily enough has the best dpad of all 1st party controllers this gen.

And support for the TvC stick, which is a very good stick in its own right...

But whatever though no point in making up theories, capcom didn't see fit to put ssf4 on Wii. Just leave it be.

Imm0rt4l

It probably could work if you're strictly team NAH(unless you had a stick/classic controller for it), but even playing it online would be a hassle me thinks. I wouldn't play it, but I'm sure someone would.

XenoRaven

BotoxAgent said:
oh man, it means I would have to go back into training mode and relearn the game. Play the 3DS for a couple of hours...hop on to the Xbox...then proceed to get raped even more since I have readjust to the stick. Argh!

or maybe I should not use my usual mains and pick a character more pad friendly (don't know who would that be yet)
Motion characters are a lot easier for me on pad. I played CvS2 on a PS2 pad. Granted I wasn't very good at that game, but I never had the execution issues I have with a stick. I can't imagine what it will be like playing Rog or Vega on pad though.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Why not? 6 buttons. Is there something wrong? Only difference I see between ABXY and Left Right Up Down is that one set are separate buttons and the other set are joined. They are all inputs at the end of the day.

If it makes you feel better, we can make C and Z HP and HK.

To be clear, I'm talking about the stick on the Nunchuck.

How do you do grabs, focus, taunt, ex moves or ultras?

God's Beard said:
How do you do grabs, focus, taunt, ex moves or ultras?

The same way you would with the ABXY set up?

Grabs are Left Down simultaneously, Focus is Up Right, just as grabs would be A B or X [_] and Focus is X Y or ^ O. Ultras are either the three punches or kicks, or map them to A, B, C or Z on the Wiimote/Nunchuck.

I'm arguing that it is indeed possible and not impractical to set it up on the basic Wiimote set up (with a nunchuck) because that's what the Wii comes with. Would I prefer a stick or Classic? Yes. Just as I prefer a stick to a PS3 pad, but they still configured the game to work with a pad, no matter how awkward it feels at times.

I'm arguing that there is no difference in input availability. The D pad on the Wiimote is simply another set of inputs separate from the stick, and is not necessary used for movement. We use it to select items or activate abilities in other games; what's wrong with mapping Up/Down/Left/Right to MP/LK/LP/MK ?

The argument irked me back then and it irks me now.

Hey guys, Peaceful Jay is having a poll for which player they should sponsor. Everyone on the list is both a great player and deserving, but I got to put in a plug for Dallas's own Nashfan! If yall don't mind, I'd really appreciate it if you tossed him a vote :)

Peaceful Jay sponsorship poll

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
FlightOfHeaven said:
what's wrong with mapping Up/Down/Left/Right to MP/LK/LP/MK ?
Akuma and Juri.

Using the 3P/3K buttons for EX moves is not always a valid option, but now we're talking about an 8 button layout anyway.

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
Hey guys, Peaceful Jay is having a poll for which player they should sponsor. Everyone on the list is both a great player and deserving, but I got to put in a plug for Dallas's own Nashfan! If yall don't mind, I'd really appreciate it if you tossed him a vote :)

Is there really any question who it should be though?

sorry man i gotta vote for lamerboi.

Solune

BotoxAgent said:
thanks, I guess those are the most logically way of mapping them out

but pianoing and plinking must feel really or awkward then (or they don't do it at all?)

I play SSFIV on a DS3 pretty much exclusively even though I'm able to play stick as well.
Pianoing is strange at first but you get used to it, same goes for plinking(But I don't plink).
Default layout is best for FADCing and throwing as all those abilities are mapped to face buttons and you can push them simultaneously with your thumb.

I have my buttons set as
Code:
  MP---LK
 #------HP
#-#---LP-HK
 #------MK

Another good PSN player Floydnova or Morro! on GAF also plays pad, not sure if he plinks and such. Might be good to ask him for advice too.

<--- SSFIV noob here. So I played some SFIV when it first came out, but I sucked and found myself getting raped online. A lot.

Is there any character that is widely considered a good noob character? Not in the sense of being a cheap and easy to win with, but in the sense of being an easy character to start and learn with. I don't know if people will say, "just choose whoever you like," but since there are tiers I'm assuming some characters are worse than others.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to learn some good strategies? I didn't notice any links for them in the OP and I don't really want to go through every page of this thread. So I'd greatly appreciate any help here.

I don't need to be tournament level awesome, but I'd just like to get good enough to win a decent amount of matches online. I also don't have a fightstick. Am I pretty much at a huge disadvantage without one? Or does it not matter that much (I'm playing with a PS3 controller)?

BentMyWookiee said:
<--- SSFIV noob here. So I played some SFIV when it first came out, but I sucked and found myself getting raped online. A lot.

Is there any character that is widely considered a good noob character? Not in the sense of being a cheap and easy to win with, but in the sense of being an easy character to start and learn with. I don't know if people will say, "just choose whoever you like," but since there are tiers I'm assuming some characters are worse than others.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to learn some good strategies? I didn't notice any links for them in the OP and I don't really want to go through every page of this thread. So I'd greatly appreciate any help here.

I don't need to be tournament level awesome, but I'd just like to get good enough to win a decent amount of matches online. I also don't have a fightstick. Am I pretty much at a huge disadvantage without one? Or does it not matter that much (I'm playing with a PS3 controller)?

You can learn the fundamentals with Ryu.

iPlaywinner has some good character guides on their site. Here's the link for Ryu's page: LINK

I don't think you're at a huge disadvantage going the pad warrior route. There are some great players out there that do just fine with them. If you join the PSN SSF4 Chat, you're bound to run into some as well (shout outs to floyd). What's your psn id. I'm sure someone on here can add you and send you a chat invite.

edit: kinect hack for SF4; motion based moves LINKY

the_log_ride said:
You can learn the fundamentals with Ryu.

iPlaywinner has some good character guides on their site. Here's the link for Ryu's page: LINK

I don't think you're at a huge disadvantage going the pad warrior route. There are some great players out there that do just fine with them. If you join the PSN SSF4 Chat, you're bound to run into some as well (shout outs to floyd). What's your psn id. I'm sure someone on here can add you and send you a chat invite.

Thanks for the advice and the link!

My PSN ID is Bent_My_Wookiee

Some tips:

-Normals are just as important if not more important than special moves. They are great ways to apply pressure and start combos. They can keep the opponent away from you when they jump in on you or if they get to close to you.

-Spacing is important

-Learn how to cross up and block cross ups. After scoring a knockdown, many people cross up in order to apply pressure. A cross up is jumping and attacking at a point where you don't know which way to block. tutorial: tick throws, jump in, cross up

-Don't jump a lot. If your jump ins are predictable, opponents will anti-air you with a normal or special. A lot of beginners like to jump a lot.

SmokeMaxX

BentMyWookiee said:

Is there any character that is widely considered a good noob character? Not in the sense of being a cheap and easy to win with, but in the sense of being an easy character to start and learn with.

I'd suggest Ryu, Balrog or Guile.

The reasons for Ryu are already above, but he's just super solid and learning him teaches one both how to use the SSF4 game engine (i.e. cr. mk buffer into hadouken, FADCing, reversal DPs, crouch tech, blowing up crouch tech, and auto-correct) as well as Street Fighter fundamentals (zoning, spacing, footsies, anti-airing, etc.)

Balrog's probably the easiest character in the game to play and get to at least a mid-level with. He has great anti-air (cr. fp), easy combos (His B&B combos into his Ultra for free and is a 4 frame link), average health, great normals, decent specials, and great ways around fireballs. He also has good frame traps and can be played both turtle style as well as rushdown. Also, best jab in the entire game and his reversal will always net you a free Ultra. He also has good jump-ins that stuff a lot of anti-airs. He does have his weaknesses, but until you get to a real competitive level, they're not a huge problem.

Guile will teach you the fundamentals of zoning and, honestly, if you play him right it's near impossible to get in on him unless you pick a counter character (Elf, Viper, etc.). He's a very strong character and is one of the easiest and hardest characters in the game to pick up. He's super simple (I mean seriously, if you check the Guile thread on SRK it'll tell you his B&B is cr. mp xx flash kick) and can really spam Sonic Booms and use normals to keep you out. But... that's easier said than done. Noone good will just randomly jump in on Guile. Even though his fireball is near unpunishable, bad Guiles make the mistake of being too predictable with their booms as well as using too many ex-booms.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
10% OFF Triumvir 2011 Collection! Use coupon code 'markman' at checkout...

synd-back.jpg

More details on SRK! - http://bit.ly/gIvwB3

Rocwell

marathonfool said:
I like the shirt. Any idea what the chinese characters say?
"We sell drugs."

Also floyd uses a programmable DS3. I went over to his house and he showed it to me.
Joking! I haven't actually seen it... yet. -______-"

I'll see you guys on PSN this weekend =)

MIMIC

Banned
So while still on my on and off quest to get the C to Shining C achievement, I thought I'd check out how tough it has been for each character I've ranked up so far. Here's my ranked winning % for the characters I've ranked up so far, starting with the highest:

El Fuerte: 72.89% - he's my main. I don't play much ranked with him but I'm around 5900 BP
Guile: 72.73% - my secondary; just got over the C hump with him (then quit).
Blanka: 70.83% - I know him very well, too

----------------

Sakura: 70.83% - very fun
Sagat: 65.38% - very easy with him
Gouken: 64%
Chun-Li: 62.07%
Seth: 60.71%
M. Bison: 59.26%
Dan: 56.25%
Gen: 54.84%
Zangief: 53.33%
Dudley: 51.52%
E. Honda: 45.71%
Ibuki: 44.44%
C. Viper: 44.12%
Akuma: 42.86%
Makoto: 42.50%
Abel: 42.11%
Juri: 40.43%
Ken: 40%
Dhalsim: 38.10%
Ryu: 33.3% wtf
01laugh.gif

That kuma fall was so epic when it happened. Chris Hu was doing his great commentary and tellling the stream monsters to tell their sisters to hit him up on twitter, and then Bam! Kuma falls and the stream chat explodes.

:lol

Satyamdas

Banned
I'm impressed by the effort it must've taken to get SF to work on kinect, but it looks just as unplayable and impractical as I'd imagined. And that is with the character type who's moves lend themselves to playing in such a way. Can't wait to see his next video where he does TKCS or EX SBK :p

cHaotix8

Rice-Eater said:
I think that Ryu is Hsien Chang though. It shouldn't be surprising if that is him.

It was actually Viet, one of the local Ryu players. He got second at Absolute Battle, taking out Yipes and losing to Sanford.

FindMyFarms said:

Got an update on latif's fb, seems like the voting is over, it's official k mada won the poll!

Hitokage said:
Akuma and Juri.

Using the 3P/3K buttons for EX moves is not always a valid option, but now we're talking about an 8 button layout anyway.

Alright, I figure you'll know, so I'm asking this in all sincerity:

Why is it possible on a PS3 pad but not on the Wiimote D-Pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom