• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to ask Inthul last night how many sponsers he has and what all games he plays. His DMG t-shirt had mad sponsers on it. I'm looking into sponsership for my Pittsburgh crew. Our players are getting mad strong, you may have seen my boy Toiyet nearly defeat Flash, and my other friend Tj force Justin to counter pick. I lost to Inthul and Marcus on the stream.

I was soo fucking drunk during my Inthul fight, I had a bar battle with the toilet I think I unleashed ten pounds in that thing. Not my best night but I had mad fun. 1.99 Four Loco drinks at the gas station, in PA we beer is only sold at bars so I kinda got spoiled. Big mistake and I spilled some all over all my equipment lol.

Toiyet is on the verge. I mean on the verge of emerging as a top Rufus in the states. Remember that name. Me I'm too busy to really invest the kind of time it takes to be pro. I haven't been invested in it, got too much else in my life that takes priority. Sorry for gushing I'm just mad proud of my guys today.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Capcom must be pissed if the whole hacking thing is true.

I wonder how the Japanese are taking this in. I'd like to see their hands on with them since Japan is more shoto country.

And Ono seems to be trolling. Can't tell whether he's joking about new characters or what.

Yeah, it'll be interesting how outside Japan people will have a 4 month headstart.
They'll catch up quick though lol

I assume since arcade machines are audited or whatever, Capcom would know if some operator unlocked them due to the online character data.

Kintaro said:
You mean what Yun/Yang reintroduced in AE? Whiffing Palms to build fast meter for Supers?

3rd Strike continues to have a great community (especially in Japan with RanBats going on all the time after all these years) 11+ years after its release. MvC 2 for 10. I think we could all safely say that SSF4 will be lucky to enjoy it for half that (Personally, I think Capcom will mistakenly release SF5 as a last gasp of this gen then will go into fighter hibernation again).

To be fair to this point, those games lasted that long because nothing come after them, so maybe they lasted that long by default?

If MvC2 never came out, would MvC1 had the 10 year run?

If 4th Strike came out 2 years after 3rd strike, would 3rd strike have lasted how long it lasted?

I love Alpha 3, but some say CvS2 killed it. If CvS2 never came out, would Alpha 3 never had died?

Who knows. Fighting games hit a slump at that time. The lasting communities are for games that are last in their series. Vampire Savior, ST, Alpha 3, MvC2 (soon to be 3)

SF4 (or MvC3) will not have a 10 year window. Capcom will put something new out in those series before then.

Thatcrazyguy makes the same point I did.

Alpha 3 killed the Alpha 2 scene. Alpha 2 killed the Alpha 1 scene (thank god). Same happened with SFIII releases, no one talks about NG or SI.

There are some timeless favorites like ST, TS, etc but more often than not, the old games are cast aside.

TS came out in 1999. The only 2D Capcom fighters after were MVC2, CVS1, CVS2 and Hyper Street Fighter. The only thing chugging along were 3D fighting games.

You are indeed correct, the second revision of JoJo's was released after TS. I apologize for omitting it. But it was never played competitively in the U.S. (ie major tournaments).

Seems according to Wiki, Bizarre came out a couple months after TS.

But it's not an entry in the Street Fighter 3 series (at least to me), unless you group CPS3 games together (then warzard).

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the greatest competitive fighting game ever made. CVS2 is second best.

People don't know about good games. SFsnore, Tekken whatever, Blazbleh, might as well play Evil Zone.

def sim

_dementia said:
But his mixup game is way weaker than Akuma's thanks to no demon flip. no air Tastu -> sweep for untech knockdown either.

Yeah.

Evil Ryu having similar combos doesn't make him into a variant of Akuma, rather a high damaging Ryu with more tools and less vitality.

Akuma is a hell lot closer to Abel or Viper in terms of objective, yet he still gets lumped in the "shoto clone" category for whatever reason.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
In the DToid tournament.

I have a 0-bar connection with some dude.

edit: Oh the guy I have a 0-bar connection with plays Blanka. Super.

Threi

notag
as you already know i was at 3950PP

lost a bunch and went down to 2800

between yesterday and today i was determined to at least get to 3000, and work from there to get the points back.

So i put it to the test, get to 2950, then lose a bunch and go down to 2700.

Work again and get to 2950 again, lose a bunch and back down to 2700 again. Get pissed off, go to bed.

Wake up today like "ok i will get there."

Get to 2950, lose a bunch and go back to 2600.

Repeat about 3 times.

4th time, im down to 2500, get extremely pissed off, and nearly throw my stick (but think the better of it). I decide to turn the 360 off for a bit, chill out, and cool down.

Come back again like "i'm gunna get to 3000" mentality again.

Once again, get to 2950.

And im currently at 2400 as of this post.

What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Just wanted to share.

esbern

just watched the new Cross Counter and Flash Metroid said he is going to play a turtle Makoto....how exactly can you pull that off? Is it a mix of keeping them out with S.Mp and tsurugi? There can't be a worse corner character than Makoto, so I just don't see it being a good idea....

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I guess what happened is I couldn't connect to the last guy, so we both fought Jared instead to see who would win the tournament? Other dude beat Jared, then Jared beat me, so the other guy won? Had the stream paused so it wouldn't lag shit up so I didn't catch exactly what was going on.

Salty because the match I had with Jared was so laggy it was like doing chinups in quicksand and I kept fucking up my setups. But oh well. That's online tournaments for you, I guess.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's insane seeing a Sp00ky stream not working right - drive is busted, that sucks.

Lost Fragment said:
So I guess what happened is I couldn't connect to the last guy, so we both fought Jared instead to see who would win the tournament? Other dude beat Jared, then Jared beat me, so the other guy won? Had the stream paused so it wouldn't lag shit up so I didn't catch exactly what was going on.

Salty because the match I had with Jared was so laggy it was like doing chinups in quicksand and I kept fucking up my setups. But oh well. That's online tournaments for you, I guess.

That's messed up man, losing by something you can't control is one of the biggest reasons I get pissed at lag in any game I play, especially since I have such a fast 20 mb up & down connection, but the lag comes from the other end.

_dementia said:
But you said player base.

Yeah... the player base for the competitive scene. What contribution do the casual joes that don't even know tourneys exist have to do with anything lol? SF4's playerbase absolutely dwarfs SF2, or any fighting game in american history for that matter.

God's Beard said:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the greatest competitive fighting game ever made. CVS2 is second best.

Wow... I never would have expected to hear that from you seeing as cvs2 is the complete antithesis of 3s :p

Aquasilk is trolling with Zangief's U2.

Latif managed to get 41 wins before his connection disconnected.

And Find...the competitive scene is better. But the number of people playing SF4 isn't close to II. You had arcades everywhere, console and very little competition.

IV has to compete against Halo, COD, WOW, etc, in addition to other fighting games.

Imm0rt4l

Spiderjericho said:
Aquasilk is trolling with Zangief's U2.

Latif managed to get 41 wins before his connection disconnected.

And Find...the competitive scene is better. But the number of people playing SF4 isn't close to II. You had arcades everywhere, console and very little competition.

IV has to compete against Halo, COD, WOW, etc, in addition to other fighting games.
I came back to the stream and saw he wasn't in the room anymore, Connection was pretty shifty, but I thought he lost or something.

It would be interesting to see the numbers, but I find that hard to believe. Even with their being more arcades before, their are undoubtedly more competitive players now then their was then. I guess the lines get blurred between who played sf2 competitively, or even regularly and casually vs who simply owned the game. I think that's a distinction worth noting.

Spiderjericho said:

Yeah but you gotta keep in mind that 99% of the people in those arcades were todays equivalent of dp mashing ken scrubs that didn't go to tourneys. In the SF4 scene, you go to a tourney and not only do have a pretty big turnout, but a vast majority of the players are both knowledgeable and aware of the system mechanics, not to mention that there's also a LOT of quality players. SF2 days you go to a tourney and there'd be like, 1 or 2 people that knew how to play lol. Granted, Cali probably had more people that knew what they were doing, but for the most part there just weren't that many competitive players. It was a casual mainstream success, but the competitive scene was still in infancy.

Having talked to Buk on the topic a lot, he'll say it himself that all the OG's (that aren't named Valle cuz frankly, he has the most rose tinted nostalgic glasses ever) agree that back in the SF2 days people just straight up didn't know how to play the game.

USD

Fuck, all this AE talk on the Sp00ky stream makes me really want to play it. Too bad it will most likely be a while before it hits consoles.

FindMyFarms said:

I agree with you regarding the competitive base playing the game. The SFII mechanics haven't changed much since then (for the most part), SRK, streams, local tournaments, youtube and online play are definitely factors that have contributed to this competitive base.

And I guess the only issue Dementia or I were pointing out was just popularity and the number of people playing.

But back then SFII was a brand-new game, now IV is SFII with a fresh coat of paint and a few new mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom