• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

USD said:
Fuck, all this AE talk on the Sp00ky stream makes me really want to play it. Too bad it will most likely be a while before it hits consoles.
Where are you USD? Not close to any arcade with AE?

Spiderjericho said:
And I guess the only issue Dementia or I were pointing out was just popularity and the number of people playing.

Oh yeah if you're just talking strictly people playing the game then yeah sf2 had more people, they were just all casuals that popped into the 711 on the way home and what not. But yeah the Sf4 scene and amount of actual hobbyists blow sf2 out of the park.

You gonna make it out to FR mang!!?!?

USD

According to LI Joe, Oni has a F+HP that eats one projectile. Wow.
entrement said:
Where are you USD? Not close to any arcade with AE?
I'm in Georgia, and nowhere close to an arcade.

Rocwell

_dementia said:
I have to see that command normal on the screen. Is it like an armor move or something?
They probably just gave it projectile properties like Yun/Yang palm. You can test it out versus ex chickenwing or another projectile invincible move. Would be really nuts if he could cancel that into fireballs after nullifying one :lol

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
its not that big of a deal really

its a normal that gets around Fireballs, Gen has one, Ibuki has one....ect

I think things like Twin palms and and Rose's reflect are more potent, they actually punish the opponent by getting free meter.

FindMyFarms said:
You gonna make it out to FR mang!!?!?

Can't. I have a baby on the way, so I have to go home in March. And then I promised a buddy to go to Wrestlemania with him in Hotlanta.

I'd like to. I'm moving to the East Coast before summer, so I hope there's a decent scene in the VA area (which there is, just not sure how far from where I am).

FindMyFarms said:
Wow... I never would have expected to hear that from you seeing as cvs2 is the complete antithesis of 3s :p

I really like the idea of characters replacing rounds. It helps the game auto-balance itself to a certain extent.

I love 3s, but I don't think it's a really well made game. Parries are too inflexible a system and they force the game to be played a certain way. There needed to be more of a gimmick to them, maybe meter cost for a successful parry guess or something. Or maybe builds up your own stun? The way it is, there's no reason not to parry if you can do it. There's a little less thinking, so the player base gets really top heavy towards execution-oriented players with a huge knowledge base like Kuroda.

Jojo's comeback mechanics are more subtle. There's pushblocking that moves the opponent a character or two away, a counter that does a little damage and can't be followed up, unlike 3s, and chip damage doesn't kill. My favorite thing about SF4 is killing people with chip damage, but I do think it's handled really well within the mechanics of jojo's bizarre adventure. It's like Steve Harrison said, I don't want to get hit unless I let the other guy hit me. In SF4 or Marvel, there are situations where the game is determined before the final hits. That doesn't happen in Jojo or CVS2.

My real favorite mechanic in Jojo are how flexible dashes are. In SF4, back dashes have invincibility. In Jojo, they're completely vulnerable, but you can walk cancel them at any time, and do sliding normals DURING the dash. It's almost like having a constantly oiled hakan in AE. Plus, there are like 5 different jump types(normal, short, super, super hop, double) and air techs so movement feels really good unlike Street Fighter where you're always sliding around.

Then you get to the meat of the game, tandem unblockables, throw loops, leveling up, stances, insane fake crossups, and you really have more fun than any other game. It's the pacing of marvel with the intensity of street fighter.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
I really like the idea of characters replacing rounds. It helps the game auto-balance itself to a certain extent.

I love 3s, but I don't think it's a really well made game. Parries are too inflexible a system and they force the game to be played a certain way. There needed to be more of a gimmick to them, maybe meter cost for a successful parry guess or something. Or maybe builds up your own stun? The way it is, there's no reason not to parry if you can do it. There's a little less thinking, so the player base gets really top heavy towards execution-oriented players with a huge knowledge base like Kuroda.

My kind of game.

Jojo's comeback mechanics are more subtle. There's pushblocking that moves the opponent a character or two away, a counter that does a little damage and can't be followed up, unlike 3s, and chip damage doesn't kill. My favorite thing about SF4 is killing people with chip damage, but I do think it's handled really well within the mechanics of jojo's bizarre adventure. It's like Steve Harrison said, I don't want to get hit unless I let the other guy hit me. In SF4 or Marvel, there are situations where the game is determined before the final hits. That doesn't happen in Jojo or CVS2.

My real favorite mechanic in Jojo are how flexible dashes are. In SF4, back dashes have invincibility. In Jojo, they're completely vulnerable, but you can walk cancel them at any time, and do sliding normals DURING the dash. It's almost like having a constantly oiled hakan in AE. Plus, there are like 5 different jump types(normal, short, super, super hop, double) and air techs so movement feels really good unlike Street Fighter where you're always sliding around.

Then you get to the meat of the game, tandem unblockables, throw loops, leveling up, stances, insane fake crossups, and you really have more fun than any other game. It's the pacing of marvel with the intensity of street fighter.

...But this does sound awesome. Too bad I'll never get to play it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yep. Like I've said. Capcom must be really angry about the whole leak.

But it's their own stupidity. Should know by now that codes can be broken. They would have fared better with some kind of transfer service or simple time release.

What's funny is Ono joking about all this when his superiors obviously aren't pleased.

entremet

Can't say I feel sorry for Capcom in this. Time release characters are dumb, and the concept is so antiquated. Just release all the new characters at the debut.

Kimosabae

Banned
entrement said:
Can't say I feel sorry for Capcom in this. Time release characters are dumb, and the concept is so antiquated. Just release all the new characters at the debut.

Considering how stimulated the community has become regarding this, I'd say it obviously works as a marketing ploy. Events just aren't happening on Cap's terms.

fuck man, Mike and Gooteck's youtube also has some footage....they should pull those out...because I will be really sad if Capcom terminates their account

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't think the account bannings and such are gonna be permanent. Probably a disconnect between legal and PR or something because pulling videos isn't going to benefit Capcom. It's just gonna piss people off. Shit's out there, so it's gonna stay out there.

That's pretty jacked up. The cat is already out of the bag. You can't take it away. Japanese players already know. China leaked it, so I'm sure it's already in the wild in Canada, USA, Australia, Europe, etc.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
I'm not saying top-heavy as in the best players are so much better than intermediates, I mean there's only one type of player on the top.

I totally understood you. I like games that reward every ounce of diligence, will and knowledge more I display towards the game than the next guy.

Kimosabae said:
I totally understood you. I like games that reward every ounce of diligence, will and knowledge more I display towards the game than the next guy.

Ok, I don't think we're on the same page here. I'm talking about a game that only rewards one type of playstyle, regardless of diligence, will and knowledge. People who use parries the best win at a high level. They're too strong, and there's almost no punishment. If you spend 10,000 hours learning how to zone people out, you're still only going to get so far.

In ST, you can zone, you can rush down, whatever. You can play footsies for years in CVS2. In Jojo's bizarre adventure you start getting some real variety. Street Fighter 4 rewards creativity more than 3rd Strike. Sure, SF4 starts to cap off earlier than 3s due to the mechanics of the game, but at least you can reach that level with different strategies(3 of them!). Hell, that's my main problem with almost every Street Fighter game. The strategies are too similar. It's whoever's the best at abusing invisible boxes. You get to a certain point, and there are fewer and fewer things to think about.

In Jojo, hitboxes are pretty insignificant compared to the properties of your moves. Almost every character plays the game significantly differently than the previous one. Some characters can turn into two characters. Some characters can preload combos. Some characters can siphon off the screen and change the properties of their moves. Some characters can stop time. There are drastic gimmicks that make playing each match radically different from the last. You could say the same thing for Marvel 2 if it weren't for the tier imbalance. Marvel 3 looks even better.

In Street Fighter, you basically have fireball characters, mixup characters and grapplers. Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Akuma, Guile, Dan, and now Evil Ryu. They're all the same fucking dude with adjusted sliders on their stats. How many characters have real flavor? Hakan?

I like SF4, and I like 3s. It's just so goddamn boring compared to what a fighting game could be. Maybe I'm just tired of measuring out ranges for crouch fierce into forward medium kick to set up an ambiguous crossup. Look at Tokido, Mago, Daigo, Arturo, Wong, Champ. Everything is so fucking measured. I don't even know how I got on this tangent, that's how frustrated it makes me. I think I'm too tired to be posting right now.

Hmm... with regards to pausing, the usual snippet added to official rulings is "pausing that affects the outcome of a game will result in the lose of a round." So if someone paused in the middle of giefs ultra when the other player has 20% life left, that's not grounds for assigning a DQ.

In the Wolfkorne/Flash match though Wolf still had life left after the ultra. The debate then is whether the pause mid ultra affected wolf. Ultimately the ruling is at the discretion of the tournament organizer and NOT the player. That scenario is a gray area though.

edit - just want to add though that if flash paused INTENTIONALLY then that's immediate DQ, but its clear it was an accident as he unpaused it right after.

Kimosabae

Banned
God's Beard said:
Ok, I don't think we're on the same page here. I'm talking about a game that only rewards one type of playstyle, regardless of diligence, will and knowledge. People who use parries the best win at a high level. They're too strong, and there's almost no punishment. If you spend 10,000 hours learning how to zone people out, you're still only going to get so far.

In ST, you can zone, you can rush down, whatever. You can play footsies for years in CVS2. In Jojo's bizarre adventure you start getting some real variety. Street Fighter 4 rewards creativity more than 3rd Strike. Sure, SF4 starts to cap off earlier than 3s due to the mechanics of the game, but at least you can reach that level with different strategies(3 of them!). Hell, that's my main problem with almost every Street Fighter game. The strategies are too similar. It's whoever's the best at abusing invisible boxes. You get to a certain point, and there are fewer and fewer things to think about.

In Jojo, hitboxes are pretty insignificant compared to the properties of your moves. Almost every character plays the game significantly differently than the previous one. Some characters can turn into two characters. Some characters can preload combos. Some characters can siphon off the screen and change the properties of their moves. Some characters can stop time. There are drastic gimmicks that make playing each match radically different from the last. You could say the same thing for Marvel 2 if it weren't for the tier imbalance. Marvel 3 looks even better.

In Street Fighter, you basically have fireball characters, mixup characters and grapplers. Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Akuma, Guile, Dan, and now Evil Ryu. They're all the same fucking dude with adjusted sliders on their stats. How many characters have real flavor? Hakan?

I like SF4, and I like 3s. It's just so goddamn boring compared to what a fighting game could be. Maybe I'm just tired of measuring out ranges for crouch fierce into forward medium kick to set up an ambiguous crossup. Look at Tokido, Mago, Daigo, Arturo, Wong, Champ. Everything is so fucking measured. I don't even know how I got on this tangent, that's how frustrated it makes me. I think I'm too tired to be posting right now.

Again, I don't think I misunderstood you, I was just speaking abstractly because those traits tend to be rewarded more in a game where execution and knowledge are paramount, I think. Your example of a game that rewards those traits seems to be 3S; I'll concede that, but only because I haven't played that game competitively despite my love for it.

Obviously, variety is ideal, but when it comes to fighting games especially, those are the two things I want rewarded the most - execution and knowledge. Any arbitrary attempts to lower the ceiling on those elements to emphasize strategy and mind games is met with condemnation from me. Hence, my dislike of Sf4.

Satyamdas

Banned
Wolfkrone said:
I have never taken a round before but I did this time because he got up and began to taunt and dance in disrespect. gave me no choice
Team Wolfkrone here. On an accidental pause taking the round is some bitch shit, but that isn't what happened in this case.

It wasn't accidental. Flash paused to get up and dance and taunt. Then he didn't confirm w/ Wolfkrone before unpausing, he just unpaused like he was the Game Master. So everyone giving Wolfkrone shit about "honor" needs to look at what Flash did, because his actions already broke this imaginary code of "honor" they have in their heads. Don't want to get called out on a technicality? Don't break the rules to taunt like a jackass. Pretty sweet to see his troll backfire in his face.

And I like Justin but damn he sounded like a fucking moron.

FindMyFarms said:
edit - just want to add though that if flash paused INTENTIONALLY then that's immediate DQ, but its clear it was an accident as he unpaused it right after.
Wrong dude, he paused it so that he could get up and dance and taunt, and then unpaused it when he was done trolling and sat back down.

Satyamdas said:
Wrong dude, he paused it so that he could get up and dance and taunt, and then unpaused it when he was done trolling and sat back down.

What? not even close. If you watch the video he clearly pauses it on accident as he's sitting down after standing. He wasn't even dancing lol. He just stood and swolled up for a moment.

Regardless though, the point is that if it's intentional then yes, dq that shit immediately but that's not what the video is showing me. If proof pops up that he was doing it on purpose? Then the decision was justified. But i could honestly care less about the two, i just got riled up when i saw a bunch of people misinterpreting rules.

edit - i still think that the decision is justifiable since wolfkrone wasn't dead yet and the round wasn't determined. You could make an argument that the pause affected his mental state in the match.

FindMyFarms said:
Hmm... with regards to pausing, the usual snippet added to official rulings is "pausing that affects the outcome of a game will result in the lose of a round." So if someone paused in the middle of giefs ultra when the other player has 20% life left, that's not grounds for assigning a DQ.

In the Wolfkorne/Flash match though Wolf still had life left after the ultra. The debate then is whether the pause mid ultra affected wolf. Ultimately the ruling is at the discretion of the tournament organizer and NOT the player. That scenario is a gray area though.

The ruling is ALWAYS at the discretion of the player, that's the whole problem. Everyone knew what the rules were. It's the fact that Wolf decided to take the round as a way to win that he wouldn't have gotten is what's fucked up. He had no ultra, a 50% life deficit, he was knocked down and the next special would have chipped him out. If Wolf would have said it was cool like most players, they would have played on. Instead he kept the round.

Satyamdas

Banned
Yeah, watch the video again, he pauses it purposefully as he's sitting down so that he 's sure he has that VLX steady and is ready for Krone's wakeup, and unpauses right after. Only reason for the pause? Because he stood up to taunt. Not accidental.

Satyamdas said:
Yeah, watch the video again, he pauses it purposefully as he's sitting down so that he 's sure he has that VLX steady and is ready for Krone's wakeup, and unpauses right after. Only reason for the pause? Because he stood up to taunt. Not accidental.

He paused to taunt because he assumed the dude was dead. The ultra wasn't finished and wolf had very low health.

Satyamdas

Banned
God's Beard said:
The ruling is ALWAYS at the discretion of the player, that's the whole problem. Everyone knew what the rules were. It's the fact that Wolf decided to take the round as a way to win that he wouldn't have gotten is what's fucked up. He had no ultra, a 50% life deficit, he was knocked down and the next special would have chipped him out. If Wolf would have said it was cool like most players, they would have played on. Instead he kept the round.
See that's bullshit though. What would've been cool is if Flash could've resisted the urge to be a taunting jackass. Why should Krone have to be "cool" about some fool taunting in his face and then pausing the game so he can be ready for his wakeup? If anything taking the round is a nice taunt back at Flash.

God's Beard said:
He paused to taunt because he assumed the dude was dead. The ultra wasn't finished and wolf had very low health.
Watch the video again. When he pauses it, it's after the ultra was finished and it was clear Krone wasn't dead, so he paused it really quick to get situated before Krone's wakeup. If he didn't stand up to taunt, he wouldn't have had to pause it.

Also, the ruling is NEVER at the discretion of the player, it's at the discretion of the judge. I just think had it been a legit accident Krone wouldn't have taken the round, but it was clear that he had to pause it to get ready after his taunt.

God's Beard said:

Naw, the TO just wasn't assertive. Accidental pauses by winning players in ultra scenes where you KNOW the other player would lose have been called out on before in both majors and local tourneys, and failed to get the DQ assigned. At EVO they actual had refs behind each match to keep an eye on stuff like that.

Satyamdas said:

I didn't talk to anyone that was there, all i had was the video and that's not the easiest thing to deduce from that clip lol but sure, if that's the case then the DQ was justifiable.

Some people think that he paused so he could stand up and taunt though, which isn't what happened.

Wallach

God's Beard said:

Is there a way to prove that he was in a situation where it was 100% certain that he could not avoid being killed on wake up? Especially in a manner that would not rely on an assumption that the other player did not make an error?

The thing about rules is that they should immediately resolve a situation. If we have to play theory fighter to determine whether a DQ is warranted or not then the rule isn't working. I would say the round being forfeited is appropriate if the player that did not pause the game does not decline the penalty.

Mœbius

Satyamdas said:
Technically Flash losing the round for pausing when the Ultra didn't kill him may indeed be right, but I think the point is that a third party should make the final call. From the sounds of it Wolfkrone simply took the decision upon himself, which seems... questionable, even if he was in the right. I mean he could have just refused to carry on until a judge or organiser was called in to make the decision.

Also, watching the video it's kind of hard to read a Flash's intent one way or the other. Maybe he did do it on purpose, but it's by no means clear cut from the video... again someone else other than the two players should have made the call.

Scrub question but why is it ok to pause during a killing ultra? Can you skip to the next round quicker? Is it just for taunting someone and rubbing it in?

robut said:
Scrub question but why is it ok to pause during a killing ultra? Can you skip to the next round quicker? Is it just for taunting someone and rubbing it in?

The idea is that if you pause during a killing ultra, the round would be over anyway, so it doesn't affect anything within the fight.

Satyamdas

Banned
The reason it usually doesn't result in a DQ is because a pause during an ultra doesn't affect the outcome of a match. Now if you were to pause in the middle of a DBJ combo, that totally throws the flow of the match off and screws the offensive player. Players sometimes reflexively press start during cutscene animations out of habit to skip them or speed things up, but since neither player is in control of their character it is dismissed and the match continues.

In this case the pause ALSO didn't affect the flow of the match, but because the reason for the pause was Flash's standing and taunting, Krone decided "fuck that" and took the round. Lesson? Don't be a taunting jackoff and you don't have to worry about technicalities biting you in the ass.

gutabo

Satyamdas said:
Yo Gutyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! What's up man long time no see! You know we miss you in XBL Gafchat!! Hope everything's good with you. And wow I had no idea Makavelo was a booster, I remember playing him a lot a while back. Many, many spammed Buttslam. I just figured a lot of people couldn't deal with it and thats how he was racking up wins.

As for that SF online, don't listen to threi. The only bona fide beast we have is jlai. Everybody else just scrubs it up to various levels. Would be cool if you could stop by sometime and put him in his place cuz I'm getting kinda tired of him completely dominating me no matter what game we play ^_^.
SATYYYYY!!! Nice avatar! <3 sasquatch!
I'll be back next month. I'm moving out after lots of family drama(don't worry I'll tell you all about it via gafchat!). Actually Mr.SNK from SRK realized makavelo was a booster, not me(he played his many alt accounts, plus some internet detective work). IIRC makavelo didn't even tried to defend himself. Also when you started to beat him he started to dodge you/kick you out of his lobbies.

LOL, will try to do my best regarding jlai... Altho offline play has spoiled me since I've been practicing EX hands combos(preparing for honda's AE damage nerfs) and I've tried to pick up viper and I can see lag screwing me up on both accounts... I can only hope I'm considered middle tier in the GAF scrub list!

FindMyFarms said:
What did wolfkrone do that got everyone in a tussle? I dunno why peeps go after him so much, he's my dude! We used to play every night when vanilla was teh hawtness.
I remember my shock when I found out that wolfkrone's GT was porkloafking... I was like "hey it's that very nice viper player I used to play and mostly beat(even tho he's clearly the better player) just because that matchup is so stupidly in honda's favor and lag doesn't help him at all". But he never ever dodged/kicked me and it was never easy, he made it look like it was in his favor most of the time(I always had luck or lag helped me). Still it's a retarded matchup!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Played Evil Ryu once tonight, got like a 5 game winstreak. He seems alright, but not incredibly interesting. Overall felt like a worse version of Akuma. His new axe kick move seems like total crap, could never find a use for it yet.

Although, his walkspeed seemed pretty good. Burning 3 meters for low forward FADC U2 is cool n all, but I feel like he really needed an air fireball. At least that U2 looks badass as hell.

simtmb

God's Beard said:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the greatest competitive fighting game ever made. CVS2 is second best.

People don't know about good games. SFsnore, Tekken whatever, Blazbleh, might as well play Evil Zone.

I'd rather play Survival Arts.

Mœbius

LeMaximilian said:
Played Evil Ryu once tonight, got like a 5 game winstreak. He seems alright, but not incredibly interesting. Overall felt like a worse version of Akuma. His new axe kick move seems like total crap, could never find a use for it yet.

Although, his walkspeed seemed pretty good. Burning 3 meters for low forward FADC U2 is cool n all, but I feel like he really needed an air fireball. At least that U2 looks badass as hell.
But surely then he'd go from being a worse version of Akuma to being, well... Akuma for all intents and purposes (even sans the demon flip)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom