• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 SCRUB Thread of Fresh Meaty Goodness

I totally need to get in on this as I'm totally shit.

Wigsta78 (PSN) - Wales - UK

I'm trying to learn with Vega atm.

EDIT - Ah shit, I though this was SF4 and not SSF4 only. NVM.

carlos

long time sf2 veteran, newb ssf4 player

will use any character, but I'm still learning at the moment; feel free to add me

carlos (psn) - southeast USA

oh and please mention you're from gaf, i get tons of random friend requests daily

ampere

Am I terrible if I struggle in Arcade mode on Medium difficulty? I just got SSFIV for PS3 and it's been years since I touched a fighting game but the CPU feels really cheap, constantly throwing me etc ><
Any tips of where to learn how to play?

psn id: oaiciao

hamchan

ciaossu said:
Am I terrible if I struggle in Arcade mode on Medium difficulty? I just got SSFIV for PS3 and it's been years since I touched a fighting game but the CPU feels really cheap, constantly throwing me etc ><

I also struggle with Medium CPU. I suppose playing real people would be the best way to get better at this game. Also in SF4 the trials were a good way to start learning characters, don't know about SSF4 though.

Flek

Banned
Fleko (PSN) - like i said please invite me to the chat and add me if you want to play. Yeha iam a scrub … but iam getting better slooooowly. Problem is iam playing vs one of the best ryu ive ever seen all the time and he kicks my ass :(

Drame

I have send friend requests to everyone on the list again as Kardunkke.

Remember to accept the friend request and I'll invite you to the chat.

gsarjeant

Drame said:
I have send friend requests to everyone on the list again as Kardunkke.

Remember to accept the friend request and I'll invite you to the chat.

Thanks, Drame - appreciate the request.

ciaossu said:

I almost was able to the get the trophy for not using a continue in Medium Arcade mode. That damn Seth took it away from me with a couple spinning powerbombs.

Edgeward

ciaossu said:

Well, trials/training is good for getting the commands down but to get better you need to be in live fire and just take the lumps and fight real people. Fighting the CPU really determines nothing. You can calmy do commands in any other situation but to have a calm demeanor and not resort to mashing when pressed against the wall is something you only get with real fight experience. Cause getting an ultra out when you really need it and instead do ex moves really sucks. >_<

SecretSphere - MetalenVis (XBL) Netherlands

First Street Fighter game I own in a long time. Mostly playing T Hawk, Zangief, El fuerte and Hakan.

notworksafe

Looks like my 8 way gate is arriving today! Should be fun to see how it changes my play method.

Also sorry about last night, Flight. I was just doing some quick trials before I went to bed and I didn't want to get involved in online or I knew I'd never get to sleep. :D

turnbuckle

I think I need to go through the game a few times with a couple of characters. I've done the challenges for Juri and Dudley, but I forget them as soon as I'm done with em. I did well with Juri online the other night - probably won 75% of my matches, and it was the first time ever using her. Dudley, however....I got crushed. I played him fairly often in SFIII and thought running through the trials would make me adequate enough to be semi-competitive, but I must've lost 80% of the matches yesterday while using him.

Throwing my 27% win percentage in the cap here.

Famicom - Jo_Jo_X (PS3) - USA - Chicago (Central)

Been using a stick for almost two months now and I'm still not comfortable. :(

Just jumped on board. I'm 100% fresh meat as I've never played any competitive fighting game online before, and I just played trials and arcade with vanilla SFIV. But I'm perfectly willing to take my lumps like a man and I really want to learn to play better (though I'll never take the time to be really good). So if you want a fellow scrub to play, or if you just want to beat on someone who won't rage quit or PM you nasty messages please add me.

I'll add the XBL folks listed in the OP

My gamertag is TheFightingFish and I'm on PST nights once or twice a week and at occasional odd hours in between.

HarryDemeanor said:
I almost was able to the get the trophy for not using a continue in Medium Arcade mode. That damn Seth took it away from me with a couple spinning powerbombs.

If you just want Arcade-related achievements/trophies, and you don't care about being cheap to get them, just pick Zangief and spam Lariat over and over. Not even the AI in Hardest difficulty is able to counter it.

xero273

turnbuckle said:
Wow playing with this stick is difficult. Not sure how I want to config my buttons.

This is what most people usually have for their button layout.

LP MP FP
LK MK FK

I hope this works for you.

turnbuckle

xero273 said:
This is what most people usually have for their button layout.

LP MP FP
LK MK FK

I hope this works for you.

Well, there are 2 rows of 4 buttons.
The first column of buttons are set slightly lower than the other 3. I have those set as PPP and KKK, with the next 3 buttons in each row being L,M,F. Just wondering if I should switch it to have the last column be my PPP KKK instead of the first.

madcatz-super-sf4-te-1.jpg

xero273

turnbuckle said:
Well, there are 2 rows of 4 buttons.
The first column of buttons are set slightly lower than the other 3. I have those set as PPP and KKK, with the next 3 buttons in each row being L,M,F. Just wondering if I should switch it to have the last column be my PPP KKK instead of the first.

You can test it out to see what you are comfortable with. I actually don't assign any button to PPP or KKK. I just press all three buttons at the same time since it's easier to do that on an arcade stick than a regular pad. Pretty much the first top three buttons from left to right on my arcade stick are LP, MP, and FP. The bottom three are kick buttons.

Edgeward

I have mine set up as having the PPP and KKK on the far right column. Feels good, man. It's a japanese layout so it placed so awkwardly works for me because it makes it more difficult for me to accidently hit it.

turnbuckle

xero273 said:
You can test it out to see what you are comfortable with. I actually don't assign any button to PPP or KKK. I just press all three buttons at the same time since it's easier to do that on an arcade stick than a regular pad. Pretty much the first top three buttons from left to right on my arcade stick are LP, MP, and FP. The bottom three are kick buttons.

That's what I've been thinking of doing. I've been using the PPP/KKK to perform EX moves, but it really is just simpler to get used to pressing the regular buttons instead. They are kinda nice when trying to charge Balrog's attack though :p

Miragith

xero273 said:

I use the same set up. I actually tried setting the far right ones to grab and focus, but I never ended up using any of them.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Hmmm... someone added me out of nowhere. Can't remember the GT but here's mine:

My GT: N ii K O N 7

Add away ppl new account/I'm quite scrubish

Mike M

Nick N
I just combed through the thread and am currently adding every XBL person listed in the US and Canada.

Holy shit, this is a painstaking process : /

EDIT: OK, everyone has been added. Apologies to the ones that didn't get a message from me saying I was adding all NeoGAF scrubs, I was using the messaging online and it didn't want me to add any recipients after a while, even to a new message. Go figure.

hamchan

Yay my TE stick arrived!

Is everyone else here also part of the regular SSF4 thread/chat or are those guys too good?

Nakazato

FlightOfHeaven said:
I just got fucking embarrassed by Reigun16.

To be fair to me, I'm a bit distracted, and I shouldn't have gone online.

Which segways into;

to a certain sect of Scrub GAF, I'm afraid I'll be gone for 6 weeks. I'm leaving to Beijing today, and I refuse to play videogames when I'm abroad. I'm sure I'll going to be wreaked by you fellas when I come back.

Thanks for letting me play host, and make commentary!
have fun and be safe

Volcynika

I'm planning to be around, fellow scrub PSN'ers, just was mostly focused on finishing Nier this week (which I beat last night), so I should have more time to beat down / get beat down with gaffers this weekend!

xero273

Volcynika said:
I'm planning to be around, fellow scrub PSN'ers, just was mostly focused on finishing Nier this week (which I beat last night), so I should have more time to beat down / get beat down with gaffers this weekend!

Didn't know volc plays SSFIV. I should get ps3 version so I can beat you down!!!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I plan on cleaning up the OP this weekend. Sorry I have been MIA. I fear I am now the scrubiest of scrubs in this thread....

Volcynika

DenogginizerOS said:
I plan on cleaning up the OP this weekend. Sorry I have been MIA. I fear I am now the scrubiest of scrubs in this thread....

Since you're the OP, we wouldn't have you any other way! Scrubby 4 life!

LosDaddie

Banned
Mike M said:
I just combed through the thread and am currently adding every XBL person listed in the US and Canada.

Good games last night, Mike! I fucking told you I was a scrub :lol

I'll be on XBL this weekend starting around 10pm EDT in case anyone wants to game.
GT: LosDaddie

Mike M said:

Holy shit, this is a painstaking process : /

EDIT: OK, everyone has been added. Apologies to the ones that didn't get a message from me saying I was adding all NeoGAF scrubs, I was using the messaging online and it didn't want me to add any recipients after a while, even to a new message. Go figure.

Same here. Just accept FRs from TheFightingFish for free wins :). I'll be on a night or three west coast time.

Mike M

Nick N
LosDaddie said:
Good games last night, Mike! I fucking told you I was a scrub :lol

Well I thought we were pretty evenly matched once I started picking different characters. I really had no idea WTF I was doing with Makoto there. Heh heh.

LosDaddie

Banned
Mike M said:
Well I thought we were pretty evenly matched once I started picking different characters. I really had no idea WTF I was doing with Makoto there. Heh heh.

I might have a better change against your Boxer if I'm not drunk. :D Yes, I'm using the excuse

turnbuckle

I can't believe how good some people are at comboing my sorry ass. It takes me a heck of a lot of luck just to pull off a combo with directions while in training mode, there's no way I'm ever able to land anything impressive in an actual fight.

Something like Zangief's later trial challenges took me at least a good 20-30 minutes to do, and even then it was total luck. The timing is so tough for me to pull off :(

It's weird that I could do Juri's trials quicker than Zangief's, even though they seem much more difficult.

---

I'm definitely buying some wine tonight before I play. I NEED to have that excuse so I don't get too hard on myself :lol

hamchan

turnbuckle said:
I can't believe how good some people are at comboing my sorry ass. It takes me a heck of a lot of luck just to pull off a combo with directions while in training mode, there's no way I'm ever able to land anything impressive in an actual fight.

Something like Zangief's later trial challenges took me at least a good 20-30 minutes to do, and even then it was total luck. The timing is so tough for me to pull off :(

It's weird that I could do Juri's trials quicker than Zangief's, even though they seem much more difficult.

---

I'm definitely buying some wine tonight before I play. I NEED to have that excuse so I don't get too hard on myself :lol

You can at least do some character's trials. I get up to 10+ of anyone trials and I'm pretty much done, can't do it. :(

Gyrian

One more, please! :]

My Dudley continues to be awful, and there's little learning involved when going into ranked matched against people that have dedicated countless hours to their main.

My PSN is the same as my name here.
Who do we add to get in the chat room?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I want to try some new characters without getting destroyed while trying new stuff :lol Feel free to add me.

Kandrick - Kandrick (XBL) - Switzerland - Europe

Top Bottom