• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be shocked if CBS shows wouldnt have bigger budget than most of cable shows,

HBO level or bigger?

I'd add Reign to this list, it is basically a fairytale with the woman in the lead. But it has a couple of scenes that would make it difficult for someone that is 11. There is basically one big sex scene in season 1 and a major, very painful one in season 2.

I've been meaning to watch Reign, but haven't gotten round it yet. Really need to get on that...

Wiktor

All it want is for Warner Bros to realize that the DCU properties should be treated in a way that fits that character, not uniformly colored to match a singular, dreary view.

Did we get any real reason to believe they're not? I mean..I can't imagine Lego guys doing brooding Flash. I get that people complain about MoS, but I don't think Snyder wanted to make a dark movie, it felt like he wanted to inspirational drama and just failed at it,

mmmmmmmh.... I'm going to watch it, but I wonder what the target demographic is? It almost seemed too casual to appeal directly for comic heads, but it seemed very, teeny bopper if you ask me...

Sure the first few episodes fine, but once the series goes on I'd like it to take itself more seriously, and for Super Girl to take herself more seriously... Not some clumsy babe all the time (outside of her office job, ala clark kent)

I mean we are talking about one of the more powerful superheroes in existence.

Altairre

This is a perfect example of a case where I didn't like the casting when they revealed it but now realize that I'm an idiot because she's perfect for this.

It looks fun enough to watch at least the first 3 episodes. I'll give it a chance. I like that it isn't going for the tired grimdark thing the DCCU movies seem to be shooting for.

Quick and dirty:

PMZ73pm.gif

Superb.

Garlador

This does NOT help that I watched the SNL Black Widow skit... and then immediately saw "Oh, a Supergirl trailer?"

... And now I can't stop laughing.

ivysaur12

Banned
Music is both better and worse. The overly dramatic choral stuff just isn't working for me on this one. I do like some of the new scenes shown, but I still think the first extended look was better.

Yeah, overly dramatic choral stuff is a huge pet peeve of mine in trailers, but none of this music will actually be in the show, so I'm pretty indifferent.

Sober

Music is both better and worse. The overly dramatic choral stuff just isn't working for me on this one. I do like some of the new scenes shown, but I still think the first extended look was better.
It's like they intentionally cut the extended one different from this one, what surprise.

It's like if you took the Flash trailer from last year, cut out nearly all the Weather Wizard scenes and replace them with everyone telling Barry what happened in the 9 months since his coma (my fiancee died, I'm seeing my dad's partner now, etc.). People would complain just as much.

I think what rubs me the wrong way about the 2-minute trailer is that they killed all the jokes. Everything that gives her a discernable, engaging personality is in that ad. It doesn't hook me. The orchestral stuff isn't enough to make up for that.

Sober

I think what rubs me the wrong way about the 2-minute trailer is that they killed all the jokes. Everything that gives her a discernable, engaging personality is in that ad. It doesn't hook me. The orchestral stuff isn't enough to make up for that.
Too bad reading through the thread again, it would say otherwise.

Toothless

It looks fun, and I like the actress. Action (from what little they shown) looks to be cool too. I'll check it out, which I haven't done for these other Superhero shows.

Penguin

Yeah the 2nd trailer... just makes it seem like any other comic book origin film/tv series... which is fine

But the first had a personality to it... and it focused on more than the hero.

Either way, it seems like folks like both or one of the trailers so good on CBS

Melissa Benoist Melissa Benoist Melissa Benoist. So glad it looks like the show has its own tone and voice. I think it nailed the aspect that the Super family looks to inspire people but they also look to ordinary people for inspiration.

Look like it has potential..

If they keep mentioning superman over and over without showing him it's going to get really awkward.

Also, I don't see how they are going to even try to make the secret identity thing work..
It seems like supergirl just tells everyone who she is.. and she goes without glasses as her alter ego all the time.

Costume would be good if they didn't remove the yellow from the S.. I don't know what they were thinking there, it just looks blander this way.

BadAss2961

Not bad... It's got just the right tone for what it is. But the key is Benoist who she seems really likeable, which ties it all together. Kara's life both in and out of costume show potential to be good fun.

Couldn't have really expected much better.

Why's everyone tripping on Dean Cain being in this thing?

Helen Slater is standing right there. Right next to his doofy ass.

Her role as Supergirl is probably older than a good deal of Gaffers. And I guess maybe her role in Smallville wasn't that memorable or people didn't watch that show (I didn't).

So whats the deal

TV Superman is separate from the Movie one but is restricted from having his own show or appearance

But Big Movie DC charactes can be referenced in the background as theuir TV counterparts?

Im trying to wrap my head around how DC is handling this split universe stuff

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So whats the deal

TV Superman is separate from the Movie one but is restricted from having his own show or appearance

But Big Movie DC charactes can be referenced in the background as theuir TV counterparts?

Movies and TV are 100% separate.

kurahador

So whats the deal

Everything is separate.

So now DC have:
-the new movie-verse
-Arrow-verse
-Gotham-verse
-Constantine-verse
-Supergirl-verse (most likely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom